• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a winner. The Rotten Tomatoes reviews were off.

856 posts in this topic

Godzilla had a total budget of $225 million after marketing, the studio expectations were much lower than the current $477 million and have already given the green light for #2.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=godzilla2012.htm

I guess I don't understand your reasoning why this movie was a weak link in the "summer" release schedule given the actual numbers available and studio expectations. This movie performed well above the studios best case scenarios, especially on the domestic front.

Did you expect this movie to do better?

the movie going investing public on HSX expected it to do $188mm in its first four weeks domestically, it did $185mm. maybe if the studio truly only spent $65mm on marketing, it explains why the movie had no legs whatsoever.

Godzilla opened in China on June 13 and did $37mm in two days. It doesn't open in Japan until mid-July. Let's keep checking those numbers.

domestically, it's more or less finished and after opening huge dropped like a stone. given Legendary's purported costs, this was definitely a success but i don't see evidence that this was well above studio expectations domestically.

Random thoughts.

Sad to say is that I wouldn`t be so hung up about domestic box office. :(

Domestically may have been a greater factor years ago.

Global is the future for money-making opportunities.

An example is I use to be hesitant to sell stuff globally, until I noticed that global buyers spend more and spend at a higher price. :o

Stuff that I couldn`t giveaway for $10 domestically would sell for much more globally.

Also Canada shouldn`t be lumped in as domestically is a very good market to sell products, and I would highly recommend to sell to Canada buyers if anybody old-school was on the fence.

So the Hollywood studios have kind of figured out that the domestic audiences are regressing, while the global markets are expanding.

I don`t know why it is happening, but it is happening. hm

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Sony executives probably fell all over themselves getting to the phone to call Kevin Feige after this interview.

Marvel’s Kevin Feige comments on a future Avengers/Spider-Man crossover

As for whether or not he thinks a crossover could happen despite the rights issues at some point in the near future, Feige added:

“I wouldn’t say anything’s impossible, I’ve been at Marvel for almost 14 years now, and it’s a very different company today than when it was a near bankrupt company just trying to get a foothold in movies when I started. So I always say nothing is impossible but I’m not sure that’s going to happen any time soon.”

'ASM2' is drastically slowing down, as it added all of $60K as of Monday.

ixYpnkX.png

JbXOdA5.png

Unless some surprise burst of box office energy comes along, this is probably close to the wrapup.

Watched it this morning. Terrible and inane. Why were all the people just standing ebbing barricades when there were massive firefights happening pretty much in front of them? Garfield was terrible as well...what a total hunk of .

Watched it this morning. Terrible and inane. Why were all the people just standing ebbing barricades when there were massive firefights happening pretty much in front of them? Garfield was terrible as well...what a total hunk of .

You ever seen a fight break out in the mall? Everyone just stands around watching with their mouths open or cell phones out. Welcome to today's society.

I still have not seen the movie and am not in any rush to see it. When it comes on cable or is available through netflix then I will watch. Until then I am simply meh.

Now, DOFP and Winter Soldier are still on my must see list. I impatiently await for them to become available on mail away netflix disc borrowing.

You ever seen a fight break out in the mall? Everyone just stands around watching with their mouths open or cell phones out. Welcome to today's society.

Is there a risk of getting incinerated at a mall fight?

He can't be talking about a gun fight or an fight that can harm innocent bystanders. He must be talking about a fist fight. (shrug) I know when a gun goes off, people are scrambling for cover, not standing there snapping away with cell phones. It's also rare when the policy pull out the barricades for people to stand behind and gawk at a fist fight. lol

Edited by rjrjr

He can't be talking about a gun fight or an fight that can harm innocent bystanders. He must be talking about a fist fight. (shrug) I know when a gun goes off, people are scrambling for cover, not standing there snapping away with cell phones. It's also rare when the policy pull out the barricades for people to stand behind and gawk at a fist fight. lol

Well, I don't want to spoil anything... but there is absolutely at least two major scenes in the movie where any insufficiently_thoughtful_person would get as far away as possible... yet people stood around.

One of these scenes contained high powered artillery in the hands of a crazy man... and people stood around and gawked.

I really didn't like this movie.

Well, I don't want to spoil anything... but there is absolutely at least two major scenes in the movie where any insufficiently_thoughtful_person would get as far away as possible... yet people stood around.

One of these scenes contained high powered artillery in the hands of a crazy man... and people stood around and gawked.

I really didn't like this movie.

Yes, those scenes were strange.

Not sure if enough time has passed to post details about the movie's story, but...

Maybe the movie was a dream (it would explain many of the problems this movie had) and Peter Parker wakes up in the next one and Gwen is still alive.

If I was one of those cops I would have easily taken out Rhinoceros by hitting him from behind with a patrol car.

Snipers could have also popped him while he was gloating.

I posted this in the other thread, but figure it can be said here as well. I really have no idea what Sony is planning on doing with this franchise or if they even plan on "fixing" it.

The movie did great overseas and pretty well here as well, in terms of $$$$$. However, its domestic numbers were less than ASM 1, and it does seem that there is a good amount of Spider-Man fatigue going on. If Sony wants to eliminate this, it can use the Sinister Six movie to introduce the fact that Spidey is MIA. Because of this, all the villains are running roughshod all over Sony's Marvel Universe. They do villiany things and somehow this makes up 1.5-2 hours.

Then, they introduce Silver Sable as a mercenary being hired to take down the Sinister Six because Spider-Man is MIA. - or - introduce Black Cat doing her thing while Spidey is away but secretly wondering where he is because she's crushing on him.

Following the female-led movie, Venom Carnage is released and Spider-Man appears at the end, which sets up for ASM 3.

It's just a thought and probably not a good one, but it helps me make a little sense of what Sony is trying to do.