• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
55 55

8,632 posts in this topic

First one I've had in a while: mj23fan2003 

TLDR: dude freaks out about book not being scanned in 4 days after shipping and leaves negative feedback and demands a cancellation.

He put two offers in for books, accepted, paid and shipped the next day.  4 Business days go buy since time of shipping and dude starts freaking out and wanting to cancel because the shipping is too slow.  I check what's going on and see the books were never scanned in.  I reply and explain that unfortunately, the books have shipped and if he wants a refund, I'll be happy to send it once the books arrive.  He LOSES IT.  Tells me I'm lying, that I never shipped, etc, etc.  And from his perspective, it looked like I HADN'T shipped the book yet.  I told him that my PO often takes a while to scan and that set him off even more.  He eventually leaves me two negative feedbacks before the book is even scheduled to be delivered.  

Just checked the tracking again about 20 minutes ago and lo and behold - it's in FL (From CA) and will be there Monday.  

The weirdest part is this person has bought from me multiple times.  Avoid this agro nightmare.  

I buy from thrift.books quite often Never had a problem. Of course, I only buy books from them that I want to read, I would never buy a book that I wanted in condition from a place called thrift.books.

Edited by Gaard

On 6/24/2023 at 11:06 PM, Heronext said:

A warning to sellers about ebay member raddude3000

On Sunday I traveled from one of my homes to another for a 2-3 week stay and brought a box containing my current 42 eBay listings (all comics).  For the past couple of years, I have only sold one or two things at a time but in the past months I have ramped this up to about 40 listings.  I've sold about 5,000 comics the past 10 years and am about the best seller anyone would want to deal with.

Anyway the day after I left home this guy buys a book.  I go to the box to pull it but it isn't there.  Obviously, a mistake on my part but no idea what happened and no way to investigate until I get back home.

Explained this to the buyer, apologized and offered a refund or to put the transaction on hold until I can get back home, find the book and ship it.  He chooses refund.

Here are his first two messages to me:

"Small problem? What the heck? Are you frigging serious right now?"

"Handle it now or you won’t like the feedback I leave on this unprofessional transaction"

In his feedback, he twice calls me a scammer and accuses me of "stealing his money" and "using it" for the 5 days until eBay refunds him.

His page: raddude3000 on eBay

My feedback page: Feedback Profile (ebay.com)

I'm trying to get eBay to remove the comment but it is proving difficult.

Just reporting that I finally, successfully got eBay to remove the buyer's negative feedback comment, so - it is possible

On 7/12/2023 at 1:30 PM, taro90 said:

wcphg-82

Sold a comic to this new buyer on the ebay. Paid and the book was delivered on July, 6th at 3:26PM at his residence. He opens a "Item not received" today. The situation hasn't been resolved yet. But he should definitely be blocked. The worst part about this is my funds are now on hold. :pullhair:

wcphg-82

Here's his nonsense:

ebaycrap.jpg.6037f523d18b050595dfcf1ed50ab724.jpg

Very unfortunate situation, sorry you had to go through this. But I don’t see the buyer being at fault here if book was misdelivered.

The question is who is in possession of the book?

The seller hands the book to a 3rd party. That does not transfer ownership to the buyer. Only when the book arrives at the buyer is it the property of the buyer. I know it sucks, but you employed the third party(USPS) and YOU are responsible if the third party does not perform.  
IMHO this is on you if the facts prove the book indeed was mishandled by the USPS

If you constantly have packages mis-delivered a normal person would address the issue with their local post office and carrier. I would place the blame on the buyer because they’re aware of issues and did nothing to fix it. I think some people find a scam that works and keep doing it til it doesn’t. 

On 7/17/2023 at 9:31 PM, NP_Gresham said:

I know it sucks, but you employed the third party(USPS) and YOU are responsible if the third party does not perform.

No, the post office is responsible, not the seller. Besides the buyer states he had this happen before which means they’ve likely pulled this scam previously. 

When these situations happen, everyone starts pointing blame - seller's fault, buyer's fault, carrier's fault. This is exactly why eBay has protection programs. They break up the log jam so people can get made whole and move on peacefully.  As I said in an earlier post, (if people were paying any attention)...

On 7/12/2023 at 4:46 PM, Lightning55 said:

If the tracking shows as delivered, eBay should cover you under Seller Protection. Even if they choose to believe the buyer and compensate him.

Just be sure to comply with any requests made by eBay. Provide complete and verifiable responses. Keep thorough records of all related activities and conversations. Take screenshots in addition to relying on eBay's archive system.

On 7/19/2023 at 12:54 AM, Corona smith said:

No, the post office is responsible, not the seller. Besides the buyer states he had this happen before which means they’ve likely pulled this scam previously. 

Fundamentally, the Seller is ALWAYS responsible on eBay. But there are systems in place as a safety net, if you meet the requirements. EBay will help sellers in most cases.

And sometimes they can't. Then you have to chalk it up to "the cost of doing business ", or find a new place to sell.

On 7/18/2023 at 9:54 PM, Corona smith said:

I am not sure what happened, it may be a scam. But taking everyone at their word, in this situation you are correct the USPS is at fault.

But the carrier is an extension of the seller as a third party. The buyer assumes responsibility when they possess the item not before. Non- performance by the third party lies squarely on the seller. That’s why you buy insurance, whether that cost is passed on makes no difference, it behoves the seller to insure for delivery. It is no different than if you buy a big screen TV from a big box retailer and they employ a third party warehouse that drives a fork lift through the screen. That is on the seller.

On 7/17/2023 at 9:31 PM, NP_Gresham said:

Very unfortunate situation, sorry you had to go through this. But I don’t see the buyer being at fault here if book was misdelivered.

Yeah, that might've been the case. But who knows if it actually was... In the end, ebay sided with me.

ScreenShot2023-07-20at3_51_35PM.thumb.png.951d41eeceed03f8ee545080d4311edb.png 

Edited by taro90

On 7/19/2023 at 9:47 AM, NP_Gresham said:

I am not sure what happened, it may be a scam. But taking everyone at their word, in this situation you are correct the USPS is at fault.

But the carrier is an extension of the seller as a third party. The buyer assumes responsibility when they possess the item not before. Non- performance by the third party lies squarely on the seller. That’s why you buy insurance, whether that cost is passed on makes no difference, it behoves the seller to insure for delivery. It is no different than if you buy a big screen TV from a big box retailer and they employ a third party warehouse that drives a fork lift through the screen. That is on the seller.

I did purchased insurance on the book for the full amount. I told the buyer to get a refund from USPS for non-delivery. The buyer said, USPS refused. Because the tracking number showed the book was delivered. 

Edited by taro90

On 7/20/2023 at 1:45 PM, taro90 said:

I did purchased insurance on the book for the full amount. I told the buyer to get a refund from USPS for non-delivery. The buyer said, USPS refused. Because the tracking number showed the book was delivered. 

Total USPS failure. They never pay. 
But that is wrong anyways. You collect the insurance not the buyer. USPS should have sent the buyer to you, not respond to his request.

The purchaser of the insurance holds the receipt and has the claim. 

On 7/20/2023 at 5:48 PM, NP_Gresham said:

But that is wrong anyways. You collect the insurance not the buyer. USPS should have sent the buyer to you, not respond to his request.

I also called USPS customer service regarding this situation, and they said the same thing to me. There cannot be any claims of insurance for a package that was not delivered. When the tracking number showed the package was delivered.

Perhaps I can shed some light on this as I have experienced quite a bit the USPS.  I am assuming the seller sent the book via Priority Mail as they paid for insurance and Media Mail does not have any insurance.  

When you ship something via Priority Mail with the USPS, management there has the capability to actually 'ping' the package at its last known spot.  So, if it was delivered the wrong address, they can actually tell that.  If that was the case here, yes, insurance is triggered since the USPS delivered it to the incorrect recipient address.  I have filed claims like this in the past and it was undisputed. 

The corollary is that the package was delivered to the correct address....and they can tell this as well by the 'ping' (obviously).  In this case, they will simply claim that the package was delivered as per the address on the package.  The USPS is not going to get involved any deeper in any way as they fulfilled their contractual obligations as agent. 

Now, whether or not the actual buyer received it is actually up for grabs due to porch pirates etc etc.  ......BUT....in this case, the USPS will NOT pay out on the insurance and eBay WILL side with the seller as long as they have A:  a copy of their physical receipt from the drop off to the Post Office as well as B:  Notification of delivery from the the USPS. 

Sellers cannot be held liable due to porch pirates or any other shenanigans along those lines.  If the buyer has experienced "missing" packages in the past, then it is up to them to contact the USPS and find out what is going on (they are usually quite helpful) and there are Postmaster General complaints that can be filed.  They do take this seriously.  If there were lots of missing packages, it really only makes sense to get a PO Box to reduce any further losses.  

On 7/20/2023 at 5:48 PM, NP_Gresham said:

This is wrong on the facts. Either the sender OR the recipient can file the claim, and direct which party is to receive the compensation. 

And it is true that USPS won't pay a claim for a missing package that tracking shows as delivered. It's possible to appeal the decision if you can provide GPS proof that post office brought it to the wrong address. 

Beyond that, you have to rely on EBay's programs (as in this case), or help from your credit card company. 

On 7/20/2023 at 11:41 PM, Nick Furious said:

Insurance can be purchased for Media Mail.  

Mos def

Like if it was a $300 hardcover book, you could insure that going Media. Still won't help if "lost" but tracking says it got delivered. Unless you stay on it like a dog with a bone.

It should be noted that comics are not eligible for Media Mail. But many people ship them that way. They frequently slip through undetected. And then sometimes not...