• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,602 posts in this topic

People make mistakes sometimes. And aptitude may have nothing to do with it.

About 5 years ago, I asked about something that was plain as day. When the seller answered my question,  I couldn't believe I made such a rookie mistake after 20 years on eBay. But there it was, I just somehow read right over it. Having done it myself, I guess I am a bit more tolerant.

I won this for 99 Cents on eBay.   Seller charges me $10 for shipping.  Okay... fair enough.  I got my 3rd Star Wars Black Series figure of one of my favorite characters. 

So how did the seller send it?   Check out the pics below.  This guy must have been annoyed it went for 99 cents and decided to cheap out on shipping to recoup what he could or he is incompetent.  The item is not how it could have been sent.

So now what to do?  

Do I even contact the seller?  As of now I do not know what I want to even do with the figure.

Let's start off with the figure: 

1. Open it? When I bought it I was undecided as to whether or not I was going to open it since they display nicely in the box.   For the other two I saved the boxes and removed the figures carefully in case I wanted to display them in the box. 
  2. Return it?

Let's talk about feedback:

1. Positive?
  2. Neutral?
  3. Negative?

I redacted my address but the package in the while bubble mailer is unopened by me.  He recycled someone else's that is why there are tear lines.   This is an item that should have been sent out boxed btw.  The box is crushed and torn due to being crushed in transit. 

Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 3.52.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 3.53.19 PM.png

I agree that belongs in this thread, but I wonder if they still recouped anything on shipping, it was to spite their face, which is unfortunate :sorry: 

On 6/8/2023 at 5:54 PM, Lightning55 said:

Unless you feel it is worth $11 as is, you should return it as Not As Described. 

This, and I'd prob lean toward negative review (neutral at minimum) for the packaging. Totally unacceptable and I would be thankful to see that feedback as a potential buyer.

On 6/8/2023 at 10:18 PM, Lightning55 said:

Now eBay is letting you add photos to feedback. Ouch.

They will probably learn pretty quickly to only allow photos for positive feedback.  Allowing public photos for negative feedback will open a can of worms and will not be a net benefit to Ebay.  They want to encourage transactions, not discourage them.    

On 6/8/2023 at 11:18 PM, Lightning55 said:

Now eBay is letting you add photos to feedback. Ouch.

On 6/8/2023 at 11:25 PM, Nick Furious said:

They will probably learn pretty quickly to only allow photos for positive feedback.  Allowing public photos for negative feedback will open a can of worms and will not be a net benefit to Ebay.  They want to encourage transactions, not discourage them.    

You guys are really making me warm up to the idea of selling my old sneakers on eBay again.  Those were the times where as a joke I would offer my old beat up and trashed gym sneakers and advertise them by taking a picture of my bare feet wearing them.  They would ALWAYS sell.  Now I want to see if someone posts a pic back of them wearing them. 

I am leaning toward returning it because the box really is trashed and @ADAMANTIUM brings up a good point that this was possibly done out of spite.   It kills me because he ruined a figure with exceptional paint apps which is getting tougher to find these days. 

Posting F-For Fakes Advice here from the toy thread.  I went with all of what you guys said and kind of phrased it the way he suggested. 

On 6/8/2023 at 4:11 PM, F For Fake said:

Ugh. Definitely looks like seller's remorse/cheapskatery. I would contact the seller and say "Hey, I know this only sold for 99 cents, but you should be aware of how this arrived." I wouldn't expect much of a response, but they should at least be made aware of it, on the verrrrrrrrrrry slim (practically nonexistant) chance that they are an honest seller who just doesn't know how to best ship action figures. Beyond that, I'd say it's a matter of what you spent vs how much you're willing to be annoyed by this person. Feedback I'd simply base on their response. If it's silence, or anything other than "Wow, I'm sorry about that," then I'd go with neutral. Negative is probably warranted in that case, but man, I just hate to go that far unless we're talking about the absolute worst offenders. But you gotta do what's right for you.

Screen Shot 2023-06-09 at 5.09.10 PM.png

On 6/9/2023 at 5:21 PM, Buzzetta said:

Oh I will expose it at the end... as either someone who goofed or someone who goofed and made it right. 

We have all goofed. 

It's how you fix it that makes the difference 

Yes, 100%. I’ve been selling on eBay for 25+ years, and I’ve screwed up a few times for sure. The key is honest (and fast) resolution. Sometimes doing the right thing means eating a loss. But I pretty much always learn from it.

On 6/9/2023 at 6:58 PM, F For Fake said:

Yes, 100%. I’ve been selling on eBay for 25+ years, and I’ve screwed up a few times for sure. The key is honest (and fast) resolution. Sometimes doing the right thing means eating a loss. But I pretty much always learn from it.

Oh and I have as well.  There have been times that I will fight it AND WIN... because the guy needs to be taught a lesson.  I like using the guy who bought a video game from me, then wrote me on eBay to say that he opened it and beat it and now I have to take it back because eBay makes the sellers take back everything... lol Yeah, that guy learned not to write things like that and I did not take the game back. 

But packaging something wrong, I've done that when I started out and made it right.  

I always feel that bad behavior should never be rewarded even if it is the path of least resistance because otherwise bad behavior then gets reinforced and then it repeats.  

Certainly want to add: comking1 (Bob Jardine in Sacramento, CA)

Bought a book on the 8th (last Thursday) and paid at 7:09 PM EST. Even though our listings publish two business days to ship, I messaged him after he paid I was at a convention and would get his book packaged on Sunday and shipped on Monday. 

This is the gem of a note I got at 10:30 AM this morning (Sunday the 11th). 

"Hello, I sure hope you are going to at least create a shipping label for my purchase today...If not, please refund my money!..Most of my other purchases on the 8th are here in Sacramento."

Edited by asteroid-comix

On 6/11/2023 at 1:45 PM, oldbsturgeon said:

By the description it appears you violated the terms of the listing and ebay would back the buyer without any question.

that is what the vacation mode is for on ebay so the seller can maintain their positive metrics

Wouldn't it still be two business days if shipped on Monday?  Bought on Thursday at 7 PM.  I think the buyer is out of line.  But I also think with a note like that I would just refund his money without shipping the book.