• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,602 posts in this topic

mess happens, but it's not the buyers fault he's out a book he won. 2c

This - the buyer did nothing wrong.

Did you refund his postage ($6), also (I certainly would have)?

All this drama over a $23.36 book? (shrug)

I did not refund his $6, because he got the other three books he bought in the package.

I did not refund his $6, because he got the other three books he bought in the package.

Really? I'd think it would be an obvious gesture from a seller who makes this kind of mistake.

Really? I'd think it would be an obvious gesture from a seller who makes this kind of mistake.

The buyer is a bird, pretty much.

A mistake was made, FD gave the guy a refund...he also did all that he could to retrieve the missing book.

It is a $23 non key book, the switched books was obviously an honest mistake....then the buyer complains about spending his time watching FD's auctions...bla bla blah....

Then he proceeds to neg FD.

I would have been overly apologetic, refunded the $6 shipping as well, offered a $10 SA book, whatever...just to avoid a neg.

Does that mean the buyer was right to neg FD?

Absolutely not.

The buyer is a bird, pretty much.

A mistake was made, FD gave the guy a refund...he also did all that he could to retrieve the missing book.

It is a $23 non key book, the switched books was obviously an honest mistake....then the buyer complains about spending his time watching FD's auctions...bla bla blah....

Then he proceeds to neg FD.

I would have been overly apologetic, refunded the $6 shipping as well, offered a $10 SA book, whatever...just to avoid a neg.

Does that mean the buyer was right to neg FD?

Absolutely not.

It is not like the buyer "wasted his time" - He did get some books for his "efforts".

FD explained the situation, apologized and provided a refund for the missing book.

Could/Should have FD offered additional "compensation"? Maybe. However, how much "compensation" would have been enough to satisfy the buyer?

Maybe FD could have said "look, I'm sorry, I can't get the book but I have refunded you the cost. Is there anything else I can do to make this "right" by you? Now who knows what the buyer would have come back with could have been reasonable or not reasonable but I think, at the end of the day, FD most certainly does not deserve a negative for this transaction.

Edited by Wall-Crawler

I agree with the statement that even though the buyer received 3 other books, shipping should have been refunded along with the price of the missing book.

And to be honest, FD's responses didn't sound like someone who was customer service-oriented. Frankly, they sounded quite matter-of-fact and a little dismissive. Almost like "this is what happened, this happens all the time, here's your refund, now go away". Keep in mind that the customer is dissatisfied and looking for answers. In most cases, anything less than what sounds like a dedicated person looking to resolve their problem is likely to result in hurt feelings. The fact that he felt the need to keep asking for updates didn't help matters, though to be fair I don't know how much time elapsed between messages.

For example, here's one of your responses:

I mixed up the orders and sent it to a different person. You've got one of theirs. I will have to refund you until I get it back. My apologies.

If I were handling it, mine would have been something like this:

I'm very sorry. It looks like I mixed up two similar orders and you got part of an order that was intended for someone else while they got yours. I will reach out to the other buyer and do what I can to recover the book(s) you bought. In the mean time, I'm sending you a refund for the missing book, including shipping. If I can recover it, I'd be happy to offer it to you first at the auction price.

Again, I'm very sorry for this mistake. I know situations like this can be frustrating and I appreciate your patience. I'll be sure to keep you updated on the status of the missing book.

As far as updates, I probably send a message every two days or so, even if there is no change. At a certain point, you have to assume the book is gone for good, but regular updates let the buyer know that someone is still looking into this.

Customer service goes a long way.

I enjoy FD's posts here and have for years. He didn't come off as mean in his messages, but he wasn't overly nice, which didn't help matters.

I hope this constructive criticism helps.

Easy answer...

The seller pretends he's the buyer. What would it take to satisfy him if he was the buyer?

Would the responses have been acceptable?

How about the frequency of communication?

What about the compensation?

I agree with the statement that even though the buyer received 3 other books, shipping should have been refunded along with the price of the missing book.

And to be honest, FD's responses didn't sound like someone who was customer service-oriented. Frankly, they sounded quite matter-of-fact and a little dismissive. Almost like "this is what happened, this happens all the time, here's your refund, now go away". Keep in mind that the customer is dissatisfied and looking for answers. In most cases, anything less than what sounds like a dedicated person looking to resolve their problem is likely to result in hurt feelings. The fact that he felt the need to keep asking for updates didn't help matters, though to be fair I don't know how much time elapsed between messages.

For example, here's one of your responses:

I mixed up the orders and sent it to a different person. You've got one of theirs. I will have to refund you until I get it back. My apologies.

If I were handling it, mine would have been something like this:

I'm very sorry. It looks like I mixed up two similar orders and you got part of an order that was intended for someone else while they got yours. I will reach out to the other buyer and do what I can to recover the book(s) you bought. In the mean time, I'm sending you a refund for the missing book, including shipping. If I can recover it, I'd be happy to offer it to you first at the auction price.

Again, I'm very sorry for this mistake. I know situations like this can be frustrating and I appreciate your patience. I'll be sure to keep you updated on the status of the missing book.

As far as updates, I probably send a message every two days or so, even if there is no change. At a certain point, you have to assume the book is gone for good, but regular updates let the buyer know that someone is still looking into this.

Customer service goes a long way.

I enjoy FD's posts here and have for years. He didn't come off as mean in his messages, but he wasn't overly nice, which didn't help matters.

I hope this constructive criticism helps.

This pretty much nails it.

The buyer feels like FD was being dismissive, and threatened a NEG in order to garner his attention.

Once the buyer threw out the threat of giving neg feedback in an attempt to extort additional comp in some way or another which was implied in his message it would have been a big FU from me all day long.

I personally would have refunded his shipping and/or maybe gave him a discount on another purchase if I was overly concerned about getting a neg but I don't make a living selling books so I can choose what I want to do.

I had a buyer neg me because I forgot to leave feedback for him - FU

Had another request a return of a slabbed book claiming damage from eBays return system so I pay the return shipping and he never ships the item back, after 2 months I report him then somehow get a neg.

For all it's warts though I will continue to use eBay as it has a wide audience just annoying having to deal with some people.

lol - this woman is all the lulz.

A handbag sold on the other account Basically, and I have mentioned this before, my Aunt and my Mom want to get in on the eBay action and get rid of old pieces of jewelry and handbags that they do not want anymore. They have always been VERY good to me in words I cannot describe. So consulting / handling this for them is the least I can do.

I check every item and I make sure that every side and angle of both the interior and exterior of every item is photographed and represented online. When an item is sold, I make sure it is what it says it is and check every item again before it ships. Items sell a couple a week so there is nothing to miss.

Linda

I recieved the bag today I really like it, but I was under the impression that it was new. It does not look new. The feet on the bottom are really scuffed up, from use and the inside has, it appears to be fuss or hair in the main bottom. I do like the bag and it was a great price, for new! How do we resolve this?

Linda

Me

Hi, I am sorry that you are disappointed in your purchase. The bag was purchased as new and never used from the Brahmin outlet. The bag is as described in the listing and every angle and side of the bag was photographed and posted in the listing. If you are that unhappy with the bag please return it.

Linda

No I will keep it, I just thought you would have offered a small refund for the listing not exactly accurate .

I am not even responding to this. She was offered a full refund. The bag was originally listed for $150 shipped. She made an offer of $100. I countered at $125. She countered at $110. I countered at $125 and said I'm not going any lower. She took it at $125, receives it and wants a partial refund.

Take it or leave it. I will happily take it back and refund the money. But no, they don't want to do that. Now, she is blocked from buying anything else.

I side with FD -- he gave the information concisely and was responsive. The buyer seemed to way overboard about this as if it was a life or death issue. People have lives outside of ebay- this is not the end of the world.

Sure-- he could have gotten all flowery about the response and been the one pushing the conversation I suppose. But at some point, the buyer has to understand that:

1) things happen

2) being patient while those issues are worked out is the right attitude

3) threatening a negative is a HUGE no-no on eBay

It is all about being reasonable as far as I am concerned. Miss-sent books don't magically get rerouted. I mean, how can the buyer not understand that another customer got some of his books by mistake and might not even have them yet to know there is an issue?

Mountains out of molehills.

I side with FD -- he gave the information concisely and was responsive. The buyer seemed to way overboard about this as if it was a life or death issue. People have lives outside of ebay- this is not the end of the world.

Sure-- he could have gotten all flowery about the response and been the one pushing the conversation I suppose. But at some point, the buyer has to understand that:

1) things happen

2) being patient while those issues are worked out is the right attitude

3) threatening a negative is a HUGE no-no on eBay

It is all about being reasonable as far as I am concerned. Miss-sent books don't magically get rerouted. I mean, how can the buyer not understand that another customer got some of his books by mistake and might not even have them yet to know there is an issue?

Mountains out of molehills.

There is somewhat of a seller vs. buyer dynamic going on here. As a person that only buys on eBay, I would expect some kind of gesture from FD. When I buy books, I calculate the shipping price into the cost. One less book than expected increases the buyers cost on the other 3 books as well. I know that in this case we are not talking about a lot of money, but it is the principle.

I recently had an issue and was wondering what everyone's thoughts are;

I purchased 7 Darkhawk Comics #4-10 NM

The comics arrived within 4 Days which was great, but Issue #4 was missing as they placed 2 Copies of Issue #6 in my order instead.

I contacted them and advised them they made a mistake. They responded back quickly and advised me to destroy the 2nd Copy of Issue #6 and they will send me issue #4.

I then receive another e-mail were they apologise and blame someone named Samantha for not paying attention to picking the comics properly.

I allowed roughly 7 Days to go by. Please note they are located in the same City I live in. I recently went back to My e-mails via e-bay and cannot find the newest one were I offer them up to Wednesday August 10, 2016 to deliver the comic or I would leave a negative.

Thursday August 11, 2016 I left a negative. Later that night the owner of the E-Bay Store contacted My personal residence and did not leave a message. Is this the norm these day's?

I received a refund for the Issue #4. But, I wanted the comic as promised. Since then E-Bay has removed the negative, which I assume is because I was refunded. But, what is the point of having this kind of system if the buyer is not happy with the transaction?

Thanks for letting me rant.

JC

It's probably because you threatened a negative if the item wasn't delivered by a certain date. Once you left the negative, and eBay saw that message, they removed it.

Unless they agree to cancel the transaction I believe that they can leave you a neg even if you refund the money. Happen to me once, I sold a $100 book but I was in the middle of moving, couldn't find it, explain that to the buyer and refunded him. I found the book a few weeks later and relisted it and then he negged me, nice [it was a boardie too]. :tonofbricks:
:whee:

If it was you I would have given you an atomic wedgy off the Lions Gate Bridge.

:popcorn:

I recently had an issue and was wondering what everyone's thoughts are;

I purchased 7 Darkhawk Comics #4-10 NM

The comics arrived within 4 Days which was great, but Issue #4 was missing as they placed 2 Copies of Issue #6 in my order instead.

I contacted them and advised them they made a mistake. They responded back quickly and advised me to destroy the 2nd Copy of Issue #6 and they will send me issue #4.

I then receive another e-mail were they apologise and blame someone named Samantha for not paying attention to picking the comics properly.

I allowed roughly 7 Days to go by. Please note they are located in the same City I live in. I recently went back to My e-mails via e-bay and cannot find the newest one were I offer them up to Wednesday August 10, 2016 to deliver the comic or I would leave a negative.

Thursday August 11, 2016 I left a negative. Later that night the owner of the E-Bay Store contacted My personal residence and did not leave a message. Is this the norm these day's?

I received a refund for the Issue #4. But, I wanted the comic as promised. Since then E-Bay has removed the negative, which I assume is because I was refunded. But, what is the point of having this kind of system if the buyer is not happy with the transaction?

Thanks for letting me rant.

JC

This part sounds WEIRD: "advised me to destroy the 2nd Copy of Issue #6 and they will send me issue #4"

But they REFUNDED you for the missing #4 and you left a Negative?

To me, it seems there might be more to this story???