• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,599 posts in this topic

But even if you had an unopened book where the perforations would pop, once CGC did a page count that ship has sailed.

I agree that it was probably an overreaction, but I too keep a sharp eye out for warning signs that a buyer could turn out to be (unreasonably) high maintenance, particularly for a small-medium book.

Wonder if I overreacted on this one. Had a high bidder on a CGC 9.8 WD weekly 2. Not a big dollar book. He messages me a few days ago asking if I ship in a box for protection. I reply in the affirmative adding with lots of bubble wrap. No harm and appreciate those questions.

Tonight I get another message from him simply stating:

"Read or unread?"

At first I was just going to reply unknown as it's not from my collection. Then I was thinking its a CGC 9.8 WP does it really matter? Something just didn't sit right with me with a question like this.

I simply cancelled his bids and blocked him. I feel a little bad but will get over it.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

(Not going to list his ID at this point)

Little over reaction

I would have just said I am unsure and left it at that.

The OCD that comic collectors have is surely well beyond most hobbies

from my experience. Everyone has their issues.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Wonder if I overreacted on this one. Had a high bidder on a CGC 9.8 WD weekly 2. Not a big dollar book. He messages me a few days ago asking if I ship in a box for protection. I reply in the affirmative adding with lots of bubble wrap. No harm and appreciate those questions.

Tonight I get another message from him simply stating:

"Read or unread?"

At first I was just going to reply unknown as it's not from my collection. Then I was thinking its a CGC 9.8 WP does it really matter?

No, it doesn't, and it's a silly question to ask. It has no meaning. There's no way to prove that something is "unread", by any means. For a slabbed book, it's completely irrelevant. It could have been red 10,000 times, and still been a 9.8. It could have been red zero times, and been a 6.5.

Yes, I understand that "read or unread" actually means "was this book handled, and does it therefore have handling damage", and it's a fairly legitimate question to ask for raw books...but the slab and grade put that issue to rest.

I wouldn't have cancelled his bids, but I would have carefully considered blocking him.

OCD is fine, when it is contained, and doesn't spill over into asking silly, unprovable questions. We ought not cater to such behavior, regardless of the "affliction" the person asking may have.

It would be great if we could get a comma delimited list, so we could just copy and paste it in our existing block list.

There are numerous renditions of blocked-user lists in past pages of this thread.

As well as debates about the merits of posting such lists on a public forum and whether folks should C&P and use such lists without vetting or reading the "whys" background story of each one that you put on your own list.

I preface this by saying that this is COMPLETELY MY FAULT. I sent this guys book to the wrong buyer by mistake.

Flash 133, sold on July 26.

cstgrant50

This item was not in the shipment. Please check your inventory and let me know when you’ll be sending it on. I’ve received the other comics. Son of a person_without_enough_empathy.

flying-donut:

Didn't you get four books?

Or did I put the wrong one in there? Son of a person_without_enough_empathy. I did, btw. This guy bought four Silver Age Flash books, another buyer bought four Silver Age Flash books. I must have switched two of them - they were on the same day.

cstgrant50

Do you still have my book? When should I expect you will ship it to me?

Thanks,

Steve No, I don't have your book - I guess I wasn't clear..

flying-donut:

I mixed up the orders and sent it to a different person. You've got one of theirs. I will have to refund you until I get it back. My apologies.So here is my response.

cstgrant50

How are you coming along getting this comic back from the wrong buyer? I really don’t want a ‘refund’ and prefer having the correct comic. Please keep me informed. Also, how do you want to handle the return of the other book?

Steve At this point the claxons are going off, because I don't have this book. I have already refunded him completely for it..

New message to: cstgrant50

I have to wait until I hear back from the other person. When I get it back from them I'll let you know - I have not heard from them at all, and have refunded you for this one. As stated here - the other buyer has not gotten back to me.

cstgrant50

New message from: cstgrant50 (2,858Red Star)

What’s happening with the recovery of this book? Please get back to me. There's been no change in the status. The shipment was screwed up - I admit it - but I refunded him.

flying-donut:

I have not heard from the person I believe I sent it to. I will follow up, but am not sure what more I can do at this point. As stated

cstgrant50

I don’t like being put in the position of having to give less than positive feedback, but watching your auctions, spending my time to place a winning bid, paying for and expecting to receive the comic that all of that effort was to have produced. What would a reasonable person be expected to do? And here we go. The "neg". First off, I'm not even sure he CAN neg me, as I refunded him, so in eBay's mind there is no transaction. Secondly, eff you.

Um. I refunded your money because of my error. What am I supposed to do? I open this question up to the forum..

So the neg was dropped. Block this guy.

eBay is completely unhelpful here.

According to the help desk.

"A seller should NEVER refund a buyer. A seller should ONLY submit a CANCELLATION request canceling the transaction. A cancellation means that both the buyer and the seller have agreed to the cancelling of the transaction. Once this happens, THEN you should give the refund, not before."

That was a stunningly frustrating conversation with the eBay help desk. 25 minutes of going around and around. Essentially since I gave the guy a refund and didn't cancel the transaction, I have de facto agreed to the transaction as is and he is warranted in giving him a negative. Had I done everything the same way with the only change being a cancellation request, he could not have given me a negative.

That's insane. Just insane.

^ It's disgusting from seller's pov.

Pretty sure that only the SELLER can start the process, even when buyer is deadbeat - SELLER must send a request to cancel. Then buyer has 2 weeks (IIRC) to reply.

One deadbeat BUYER sent me note - "I don't want to buy, please cancel it for me." And then I had to initiate the cancel process. Twisted, counter-intuitive, illogical, whatever, it's the ebay experience.

But then you can't leave deadbeat note in the rep comment (still must be a pos, but you can describe that buyer is deadbeat).

Or I suppose SELLER can wait a few days then start a 'dispute' that BUYER did not pay. I forget the tortuous route that one takes, but I think it's the only way a BUYER can accumulate record of being a non-payer bidder.

[Anthony's art/comics sent me wrong ASM 10, then said he didn't have the right one to ship me, a disappointment to me, and I just went away (return/refund), stuff happens; sorry you got stuck with a dud, Dan.]

To: cstgrant50

Subject: Re: I have a question about using my item or I want to send the seller a message: cstgrant50 sent a message about Flash 133 Abra Kadabra! #401149154628

Sent Date: Aug-28-16 18:21:54 PDT

Dear cstgrant50,

So you negged me for a transaction where you were not out any money and I refunded you promptly. Please tell me, exactly, what I was supposed to do.

- flying-donut

To: flying-donut

Subject: Re: I have a question about using my item or I want to send the seller a message: cstgrant50 sent a message about Flash 133 Abra Kadabra! #401149154628

Sent Date: Aug-28-16 21:01:56 PDT

Dear flying-donut,

Track the comic down and get the errant recipient to return it to you or me. I wasted time following your auction and bidding and paying. You’ve not compensated me for anything that’s worth that effort.

- cstgrant50

Outside of going to the guys house and knocking on his door, what am I supposed to do. I have emailed him multiple times through both email and eBay. What am I supposed to do? Seriously. Tell me. What sort of compensation are you looking for?

doh!

Am I missing something here?

so if I follow an auction-- put in several bids but I don't win-- should I also be compensated when you don't send me a comic as well? I mean-- all that effort I put in-- I demand compensation!

That is how the guy sounds to me-- unreasonable. Best to let this one go and just block/move on. He is giving you no method to reconcile the situation and punishing you for his inability to communicate as well as his unwillingness to forgive an honest error that he was promptly refunded for in the first place.

so if I follow an auction-- put in several bids but I don't win-- should I also be compensated when you don't send me a comic as well? I mean-- all that effort I put in-- I demand compensation!

That is how the guy sounds to me-- unreasonable. Best to let this one go and just block/move on. He is giving you no method to reconcile the situation and punishing you for his inability to communicate as well as his unwillingness to forgive an honest error that he was promptly refunded for in the first place.

Participation Awards

:whee:

"A seller should NEVER refund a buyer. A seller should ONLY submit a CANCELLATION request canceling the transaction. A cancellation means that both the buyer and the seller have agreed to the cancelling of the transaction. Once this happens, THEN you should give the refund, not before."

Did you ask him if he makes 40 minute videos ranting about his lost time bidding on books that he doesn't receive or win?

Though I agree there's nothing the seller can do, or could reasonably expected to do, I also understand the buyer's frustration. When you win an auction and make payment, you expect to receive the item.

When you don't receive it, the question in your mind is immediately going to be: Shenanigans? "Did somebody make the seller a better offer, and the seller is making up an excuse for why he's not sending the item? Was seller disappointed in the hammer price, and now wants to back out of the deal?" Without getting a thorough explanation from the seller, one is left to wonder.

Additionally, even if one grants that the seller has made an honest mistake, it's still frustrating from the point of view that the seller ought to be competent enough to ship a package after he has already taken the time to auction it. Especially when eBay offers the option to buy postage and print out a shipping label -- which should make shipping almost foolproof. Mistakes happen, but a seller with a modicum of experience should be beyond most mistakes involving the simple process of shipping something. On that level, too, it is frustrating. (It's especially frustrating when the seller's reason is something lame like: "I can't find it," followed by very defensive communications, as if that explanation should have been all I needed as a buyer.)

Still, having said all of that, there's not a great deal the seller can do. I think the best strategy for such a seller is to continue providing complete and politely stated explanations, continue offering sincere (not gritting one's teeth) apologies, and continue applying empathy to the buyer's perspective in losing out on something he thought he won. There is no monetary cost, very little time required, and little emotional energy expenditure required in doing so. (The seller has the option of offering compensation in the form of money or other goods, but that's completely elective. Doing so, however, would make a good form of self-punishment to set as a deterrent against making future errors.)

Another thing to remember is buyers who become irate over mistakes like these are probably people who *have* been legitimately screwed over in the past. They might be inclined to paranoia due to a past negative experience, so when you give them a full explanation, apologies, and other reassurance, you're helping them re-calibrate to the reality that not everybody who blows a deal is trying to pull a fast one on them.

I've been in situations on both sides: Paranoid over-reactor buyer, legitimately screwed-over sadsack buyer, and also the seller who made an honest and/or stupid mistake and had to figure out how to deal with it. I've gotten negged by buyers who thought the world was out to get them, and also been gracefully forgiven by buyers who had a pretty strong gripe they could have run with. The ones who still make me angry are the louse, misrepresenting-their-product sellers and the whiny, demanding, gotta-get-something-for-nothing buyers. They are always out there, representing about 1-in-10 (in a bad month) to 1-in-20 (in a good month) of every transaction.

and continue applying empathy to the buyer's perspective in losing out on something he thought he won. There is no monetary cost, very little time required, and little emotional energy expenditure required in doing so.

+1

My #1 beef with sellers is sub-par communication (even more than shoddy packing). Talk to me. At the very least, acknowledge my messages.

I guess this means that if the transaction is cancelled the Neg goes away?

I got this same line from the help desk this month when trying to clear a Neg from a Neg first buyer (disagreement in condition of all things). Buyer refused to open a case citing IT problems (probably eBay's cumbersome android app). It sounded like this guy didn't have access to a computer and couldn't figure out the return process on a mobile device. Ebay told me not to refund even though I had the book back in hand. I refunded through PayPal since he wouldn't open a case and then he changed his feedback to neutral as soon as he got his money back.

I was considering putting his name out in this forum but he doesn't buy a lot of books and changed his feedback. I took the bullet paying to teach this guy the return process. You're welcome.

I got this same line from the help desk this month when trying to clear a Neg from a Neg first buyer (disagreement in condition of all things). Buyer refused to open a case citing IT problems (probably eBay's cumbersome android app). It sounded like this guy didn't have access to a computer and couldn't figure out the return process on a mobile device. Ebay told me not to refund even though I had the book back in hand. I refunded through PayPal since he wouldn't open a case and then he changed his feedback to neutral as soon as he got his money back.

I was considering putting his name out in this forum but he doesn't buy a lot of books and changed his feedback. I took the bullet paying to teach this guy the return process. You're welcome.

A buyer can change a feedback? This is news to me.

A buyer can change a feedback? This is news to me.

According to the eBay help desk person, if the transaction is mutually cancelled, the negative can be removed by eBay.