• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,599 posts in this topic

I hope the lesson learned by some here is to stop jumping to conclusions and over-reacting so quickly. A week could have gone by before any of those questionable posts were made and giving anyone ample time to respond in the first place is just common courtesy.

I have had some ebay buyers who DEMANDED I respond to them in a certain time frame before and I have always found that ridiculous-- to the point of cancelling a sale and blocking them going forward. This is not heart surgery -- it is not something requiring immediate attention in most cases.

I hope the lesson learned by some here is to stop jumping to conclusions and over-reacting so quickly. A week could have gone by before any of those questionable posts were made and giving anyone ample time to respond in the first place is just common courtesy.

Gotta put a big +1 on this one.

Beware any Eugene, Oregon account that has PGX for sale. The most recent Ryan Elliott shill account (ziggydust19) is no longer registered and someone going by psyphyman seems to have suddenly popped up with several PGX 9.8 books, a few I recognized from the ziggydust16 account.

Also someone recently informed me eBay seller cosmic.powers selling PGX books may actually work for PGX :facepalm:

Is there a way for sellers to put a note when they cancel a bid? I wonder what the reaction would have been to that post if it wasn't a board member.

The problem is that Ebay used to let you write whatever you wanted so you could explain. Now I believe they only let you chose from 3 canned responses.

Certainly not ideal. Does the seller know the identity to be able to send a separate message?

Yes.

Not saying it's the case there but that happens all the time whether to to take an off ebay sale or offer, or because something was sold at another venue, or hell maybe the seller decided they wanted to keep the item, or they realize that they simply mistook that they had something in stock, or grossly misrepresented the item on accident.

It's definitely not rare and happens on a weekly basis at least on just the items I watch, and if you see previous threads around here, I'm pretty sure you will find people admitting to asking sellers to end auctions early and thinking it's a smart and prudent measure. Personally, I don't need anything bad enough to do that but it happens a lot I expect (though I have made queries if something is available in bulk).

I was asked to sell a piece of art a couple of weeks ago offline to a Joe collector and I just politely told him I recognize the platform ebay gives me, and I'm more than willing to pay them for it - but to each their own. I've definitely lost opportunities for sales (though I don't sell a lot) and tons of purchases being on both end. I think all of us probably follow a niche vice we have that is heatedly competitive by a few people and see auctions ended early all the time.

File it under standard operating procedure from my observations when buying comics or art on ebay.

Even if the book was taken down to complete some side deal, is that against the rules or something? I wouldn't have assumed so.

Of course it's against the rules. You can't use eBay for free advertising and then cut them out of the deal. Especially if you used eBay's mail system to communicate.

I think it depends on the situation. Say you have a bunch of books up on eBay and you are attending/selling at a con. Should a dealer pull ALL of those listings for a weekend? Ebay had nothing to do with any of those sales or generating those sales.

I also know that there are sellers and some big sellers who list book(s) on multiple venues. Their own website, Facebook, eBay, whatever.

I don't think there is a problem with that - However I would never list a book elsewhere if it is a board sale ;)

Where it is a problem, I would think, is when a buyer FINDS a book via eBay and then a side deal is negotiated, cutting eBay out.

2c

Not saying it's the case there but that happens all the time whether to to take an off ebay sale or offer, or because something was sold at another venue, or hell maybe the seller decided they wanted to keep the item, or they realize that they simply mistook that they had something in stock, or grossly misrepresented the item on accident.

It's definitely not rare and happens on a weekly basis at least on just the items I watch, and if you see previous threads around here, I'm pretty sure you will find people admitting to asking sellers to end auctions early and thinking it's a smart and prudent measure. Personally, I don't need anything bad enough to do that but it happens a lot I expect (though I have made queries if something is available in bulk).

I was asked to sell a piece of art a couple of weeks ago offline to a Joe collector and I just politely told him I recognize the platform ebay gives me, and I'm more than willing to pay them for it - but to each their own. I've definitely lost opportunities for sales (though I don't see a lot) and tons of purchases being on both end. I think all of us probably follow a niche vice we have that is heatedly competitive by a few people and see auctions ended early all the time.

File it under standard operating procedure from my observations when buying comics or art on ebay.

I also asked if you were a board member and had listed it over here.

Still stand by that as MyComiCShop, Metropolis and others have the same circumstances

I was asked to sell a piece of art a couple of weeks ago offline to a Joe collector and I just politely told him I recognize the platform ebay gives me, and I'm more than willing to pay them for it - but to each their own. I've definitely lost opportunities for sales (though I don't see a lot) and tons of purchases being on both end. I think all of us probably follow a niche vice we have that is heatedly competitive by a few people and see auctions ended early all the time.

Still stand by that as MyComiCShop, Metropolis and others have the same circumstances

I don't recall giving anyone a hard time about it or being judgmental, like I said it comes with the territory, and fairly common practice, and everyone will have a different or even fluid stance.

Where it is a problem, I would think, is when a buyer FINDS a book via eBay and then a side deal is negotiated, cutting eBay out.

2c

I seem to recall a really long discussion here where many people thought it was okay to cut out the multibillion dollar corporation out because they are already successful enough. I thought it was a little silly and childish but if I recall more than one person agreed and defended it.

I don't recall giving anyone a hard time about it or being judgmental, like I said it comes with the territory, and fairly common practice, and everyone will have a different or even fluid stance.

I didn't think you did. You were quite cordial about it. However, there is no exclusivity on eBay. Last month, I offered a number of things here in a Mixed thread. Nothing sold so I put them all up on eBay, Craigslist and Hisstank at the same time. There are plenty of times I have listed things on eBay first and then people shoot me an email or a text asking me to take it down and sell it at a discount (they know how to get in touch with me from prior purchases or they see me here or have seen me advertise something somewhere else). If someone can get in touch with me... by all means we can talk.

Now in the meantime... my thumbs ache... and I am about to be made king of the world or something like that because my dentist is about to give me a crown.

talk more later.

Edited by Buzzetta

Beware any Eugene, Oregon account that has PGX for sale. The most recent Ryan Elliott shill account (ziggydust19) is no longer registered and someone going by psyphyman seems to have suddenly popped up with several PGX 9.8 books, a few I recognized from the ziggydust16 account.

Also someone recently informed me eBay seller cosmic.powers selling PGX books may actually work for PGX :facepalm:

I always think of him as the Wacky Adventures of Captain Underpants

I've had good luck with the few PGX slabs that I have purchased. I have cracked them out and had them pressed and submitted and they have come back usually higher with the outlier being a book that came back a full grade lower but with better pages IIRC.

However, with that said, I almost picked up a PGX book last night that upon closer inspection was definitely trimmed along the right edge.

Not speaking about the current situation of the item being pulled from ebay as it has been fully explained, but certainly there is a difference between a seller pulling a book that was either a BIN or an auction with no bids vs. one that has had bids. At least to me.

Do yourselves a favor, put bowen-barry on your eBay block list. 17 years on eBay, and I've never dealt with such an obnoxious and entitled individual. I'm very easy going, but if you look up the world "tool" in the dictionary, you'll see his face there.

Do yourselves a favor, put bowen-barry on your eBay block list. 17 years on eBay, and I've never dealt with such an obnoxious and entitled individual. I'm very easy going, but if you look up the world "tool" in the dictionary, you'll see his face there.
would love to hear the details and the messages involved--- half the "fun" of this thread