• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,602 posts in this topic

Auto-reject is easy to set up for a few items...not so easy for hundreds or thousands of items. It can add up to many, many hours of time.

(Un)Fortunately having that big of an inventory is a "problem" I will never have to deal with.

:tonofbricks:

:cool:

But I think you can set it at the same time you're setting the price right? Assuming the price for each item you sell is different? It probably takes at most between 10 and 15 extra seconds (and yes I get that it adds up if you've got thousands of listings)?

I fully admit I'm not sure how the 'superstores' load up their postings, maybe there's a super efficient way of doing it that makes the 'auto-reject' add a lot more time to set up. BTW it would be nice if there was a tool where you could select all postings and set auto reject for all offers lower than xx% of prices on a bulk group of postings.

I just added an auto-reject price to this listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ABSOLUTE-Vertigo-1-Preacher-NM-NICE-Ennis-/191629409714?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Starting from my "active listings" page, it took me 47 seconds to go through the whole process and get back to my "active listings" page.

47 seconds...and I knew going in how much I wanted to auto-reject for (in this case, $50.)

47 seconds times 10 listings = 8 minutes.

47 seconds times 100 listings = 78 minutes

47 seconds times 1000 listings = 13 hours.

Now, say you set it up at the same time you list?

It takes an extra 10-15 seconds or so to check the box, think about a fair reject threshold, and enter it in.

10-15 seconds per item, spread across 1,000 items = almost 3 additional hours of time at 10 seconds, and 4+ hours at 15 seconds.

And that's IF you know what a reasonable threshold is, which requires thought that will quickly eat up those 10-15 seconds and add much more.

What if you have an item that is $500 at FMV, you price it at $600? Would you take $450? Would you take $500? What if someone comes along and offers $425, and at the time of the offer, you would be perfectly willing to accept that price, considering market changes, needs, and whatnot?

With an auto-reject set at $450, you will never, ever know that that person made a $425 offer, and you thus have no way to even dialogue with the potential customer.

I have had many, MANY sales where someone offered below what I would sell for, but because the offer came through, and I was able to dialogue with them, my sales "skills" managed to snag a sale at a price BOTH of us found reasonable!

Auto-reject? Nope.

"So, why not set auto-reject to the price where you KNOW you won't accept?"

That's the point! You DON'T know what you might accept later on down the line. It's not a distinct line, but setting an auto-reject MAKES a distinct line, and I NEED to have that fuzzy grey area so that both I and the potential buyer can consider. Things change, circumstances change...what is FMV on August 10 may not be on September 3. That is why the BUYER is obligated to make a reasonable offer based on FMV.

Yes, if the price has plummeted in those three weeks to $150, then $150 is a fair price, and setting the auto-reject at $300...means I wouldn't even have the opportunity to check.

But...if someone is going to come along and offer $50 for an item I have priced at $2,000...even if FMV is "$1500" (which no one really knows, a copy not having sold in years)...clearly, I am not going to be able to reason with this "buyer", and they have wasted both their, and my, time.

And I will say this: when buyers have been too cheap to offer near FMV, and made offers I considered too low, I go and check GPA or completed sales...and have frequently found out that the item is now selling for SUBSTANTIALLY more than my asking price....and you bet I change the price.

I've even had customers who COULD have bought the item for my full asking price, which was now below market...but they tried to cheap out on it, I checked the price, and raised it, and they bought it at the higher price.

They could have just paid less in the first place! Had they not tried to cheap out, they would have gotten a BETTER deal.

It's dumb. If there's something you want, make a reasonable offer for it.

Yes i have a lot of my items with the auto reject function but serious buyers can think i am a difficult seller if they see my listings with a lot of offers that´s why the low ball offer buyers (non serious buyers) are bad for business and should be blocked

This is also true. If I see a listing that has 17 offers on it, all declined or not responded to, I'm going to think the seller isn't willing to negotiate, and move on.

Yes i have a lot of my items with the auto reject function but serious buyers can think i am a difficult seller if they see my listings with a lot of offers that´s why the low ball offer buyers (non serious buyers) are bad for business and should be blocked

This is also true. If I see a listing that has 17 offers on it, all declined or not responded to, I'm going to think the seller isn't willing to negotiate, and move on.

I can get behind this rationale, and I can get behind the rationale for those listing 1000 per month as not worth the time.

But if you do like 20-100 per month? And there's a point below which you won't even negotiate and you're just going to take the time to block them and get angry? I'd save rather save myself the aggravation, maybe they'll come back with a higher bid in negotiable range, instead of having someone who has viewed my wares and has some interest in at least one of them permanently banned from buying anything I will ever sell again, just because we happen to disagree on the fair value of ONE item.

But yes, no doubt not every situation is the same in terms of preferences on pricing and selling strategies.

I can get behind this rationale, and I can get behind the rationale for those listing 1000 per month as not worth the time.

But if you do like 20-100 per month? And there's a point below which you won't even negotiate and you're just going to take the time to block them and get angry? I'd save rather save myself the aggravation, maybe they'll come back with a higher bid in negotiable range, instead of having someone who has viewed my wares and has some interest in at least one of them permanently banned from buying anything I will ever sell again, just because we happen to disagree on the fair value of ONE item.

But yes, no doubt not every situation is the same in terms of preferences on pricing and selling strategies.

Who is getting angry....?

Annoyance isn't anger, unless it's pushed.

Do you really think the person offering $50 on a $2,000 ask price is really interested in the item?

No, of course not.

Can that person be negotiated into a reasonable price?

No, of course not.

It's disrespectful, and here's the real clincher: people who are willing to show contempt and disrespect for a seller in something as small as an asking price are far more likely to be a problem customer.

And problem customers do GREAT damage. I've lost hundreds and hundreds of dollars because I 1. had a buyer leave me a 1 or 2 DSR for ship time when buying on Jan 20, 2014 (holiday), and receiving the book in hand on Jan 25th (Saturday); 2. had a buyer who didn't like the look of the CGC case, and opened a claim against me without bothering to contact me first; 3. had a buyer...a "board member" here, as a matter of fact...leave a neutral feedback because he "didn't like the condition", even though no condition was listed, and the large pictures clearly showed the book had many problems. This "buyer" didn't bother to contact me. Yet he regularly posts here, on this board.

Entitlement, through and through.

Because I don't sell high volume widgets, each of these small things do great damage, as this SINGLE NEUTRAL will do great damage to Schmidt, because it ruins his "defect" percentage. You have TWO such issues in a YEAR...a YEAR...and you will lose your top rated selling discount, which is 20%...hundreds of dollars...for TWO numbskulls who suffer from vast entitlement.

No, thank you. If someone can't be respectful in making a reasonable offer...or at least trying to EXPLAIN their lowball...then, no, that's a giant, HUGE red flag that tells me they are probably an entitled, problem customer, and I run, don't walk, to block them.

Does anyone reading this...anyone at all...think that "donmeca" is above leaving a neutral or a negative, or opening a claim, or leaving low DSRs for a seller if things don't go EXACTLY his way...? Anyone at all...? Of course not. His attitude is displayed all over the place. He's precisely the kind of person that would pull these sorts of games, and what does he care? He never sees the damage he wreaks.

Not worth it.

here's what I've always wondered: Is it ok to offer 50% of asking price if the asking price is 2x the market rate?

howabout 10% the asking price if the asking is 10x the market rate?

What if the comic is $4 and someone offers $2?

My point is its far more subjective (to me at least) then 'they offered this percentage' of my ask price so I'm banning them. Maybe some of you guys could provide a little more context?

PS. Why not have auto-reject for offers below a certain price, unless you are HOPING for people to offer low JUST so you can feel insulted and block them? At least that's how I see it, but I know not everyone thinks the same as me.

^^

I basically have a lower limit on books I will list "OBO" - I don't entertain OBOs for books that are listed for under $5 and those that are OBO are set to auto-reject under about 2/3 asking price. That leaves room for honest bargaining and not having to deal with people who send unreasonable lowball offers.

Auto-reject is easy to set up for a few items...not so easy for hundreds or thousands of items. It can add up to many, many hours of time.

Download eBay's Turbo Lister.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/turbo-lister-ov.html

You can configure templates so that you have preset requirements for each category you sell in. It makes it very easy to list a hundred items with different starting prices and "Buy it Now" requirements.

here's what I've always wondered: Is it ok to offer 50% of asking price if the asking price is 2x the market rate?

howabout 10% the asking price if the asking is 10x the market rate?

What if the comic is $4 and someone offers $2?

My point is its far more subjective (to me at least) then 'they offered this percentage' of my ask price so I'm banning them. Maybe some of you guys could provide a little more context?

PS. Why not have auto-reject for offers below a certain price, unless you are HOPING for people to offer low JUST so you can feel insulted and block them? At least that's how I see it, but I know not everyone thinks the same as me.

^^

I basically have a lower limit on books I will list "OBO" - I don't entertain OBOs for books that are listed for under $5 and those that are OBO are set to auto-reject under about 2/3 asking price. That leaves room for honest bargaining and not having to deal with people who send unreasonable lowball offers.

Download eBay's Turbo Lister.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/turbo-lister-ov.html

You can configure templates so that you have preset requirements for each category you sell in. It makes it very easy to list a hundred items with different starting prices and "Buy it Now" requirements.

I have used Turbo Lister for about 6 years now. That is how I list almost all of my items.

(Un)Fortunately having that big of an inventory is a "problem" I will never have to deal with.

:tonofbricks:

:cool:

But I think you can set it at the same time you're setting the price right? Assuming the price for each item you sell is different? It probably takes at most between 10 and 15 extra seconds (and yes I get that it adds up if you've got thousands of listings)?

I fully admit I'm not sure how the 'superstores' load up their postings, maybe there's a super efficient way of doing it that makes the 'auto-reject' add a lot more time to set up. BTW it would be nice if there was a tool where you could select all postings and set auto reject for all offers lower than xx% of prices on a bulk group of postings.

I just added an atuo-reject price to this listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ABSOLUTE-Vertigo-1-Preacher-NM-NICE-Ennis-/191629409714?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Starting from my "active listings" page, it took me 47 seconds to go through the whole process and get back to my "active listings" page.

47 seconds...and I knew going in how much I wanted to auto-reject for (in this case, $50.)

It takes an extra 10-15 seconds or so to check the box, think about a fair reject threshold, and enter it in.

10-15 seconds per item, spread across 1,000 items = almost 3 additional hours of time at 10 seconds, and 4+ hours at 15 seconds.

And that's IF you know what a reasonable threshold is, which requires thought that will quickly eat up those 10-15 seconds and add much more.

What if you have an item that is $500 at FMV, you price it at $600? Would you take $450? Would you take $500? What if someone comes along and offers $425, and at the time of the offer, you would be perfectly willing to accept that price, considering market changes, needs, and whatnot?

With an auto-reject set at $450, you will never, ever know that that person made a $425 offer, and you thus have no way to even dialogue with the potential customer.

I have had many, MANY sales where someone offered below what I would sell for, but because the offer came through, and I was able to dialogue with them, my sales "skills" managed to snag a sale at a price BOTH of us found reasonable!

Auto-reject? Nope.

That's the point! You DON'T know what you might accept later on down the line. It's not a distinct line, but setting an auto-reject MAKES a distinct line, and I NEED to have that fuzzy grey area so that both I and the potential buyer can consider. Things change, circumstances change...what is FMV on August 10 may not be on September 3. That is why the BUYER is obligated to make a reasonable offer based on FMV.

Yes, if the price has plummeted in those three weeks to $150, then $150 is a fair price, and setting the auto-reject at $300...means I wouldn't even have the opportunity to check.

But...if someone is going to come along and offer $50 for an item I have priced at $2,000...even if FMV is "$1500" (which no one really knows, a copy not having sold in years)...clearly, I am not going to be able to reason with this "buyer", and they have wasted both their, and my, time.

And I will say this: when buyers have been too cheap to offer near FMV, and made offers I considered too low, I go and check GPA or completed sales...and have frequently found out that the item is now selling for SUBSTANTIALLY more than my asking price....and you bet I change the price.

I've even had customers who COULD have bought the item for my full asking price, which was now below market...but they tried to cheap out on it, I checked the price, and raised it, and they bought it at the higher price.

They could have just paid less in the first place! Had they not tried to cheap out, they would have gotten a BETTER deal.

I completely blame your posts for the 14 second load times! :baiting:

Received my first neutral feedback today - from a buyer named "katerocks2015".

Here's the feedback:

Sigs were in Silver (on white), not stated in selling details - I Expected black

And here's the item photo from the auction:

east-of-west-1-cgc-9.8-ss-copyg-f.jpg

:doh:

I feel for ya. I think they are coming out of the woodwork

lately.

The trials and tribulations of selling on ebay.

Its not as hard as some make it out to be. A lot time it comes down to

how much your time is worth to you.

Some hate auto reject. Some love it. Less you lose some sales because of it and that comes back to how much your time is worth.

Some buyers/sellers love the negotiating game.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Is there any way to set up auto reject to reject your BIN price?

I am not sure if that's possible, but I can tell this happened to me last year.

I had an ASM book for a like a $8 BIN. The buyer hit my auto accept at like $6.99, but keyed in too many keys and it sold to him for like $6,999.00.

I should have kept the screen shot. I had to cancel the auction and the buyer

purchased it again, but it was still an interesting quirk in EBay's system.

Received my first neutral feedback today - from a buyer named "katerocks2015".

Here's the feedback:

Sigs were in Silver (on white), not stated in selling details - I Expected black

And here's the item photo from the auction:

east-of-west-1-cgc-9.8-ss-copyg-f.jpg

:doh:

I haven't gotten a neutral or negative yet but I have a feeling...

The only thing I've EVER sold on Ebay is CGC blue labels, yet I have 4.9 stars for 'Item as Described' . How in the H-E-double hockey sticks do I not have 5 stars? :mad:

Mike

My one neutral was from a bidder that dinged me for "unacceptable arrival time" on a book he chose to have shipped via cheapest shipping. I clearly showed him that I shipped out the item within 24 hours of cleared payment, but he didn't care. Let's just say he's on my permanent ban list.

eBay has really done it this time.

Selling raw comics on eBay comes with such a risk.

Even if you have a hassle free 14-day return policy you get dinged on your seller performance on eBay. I had a guy return a book he thought was an VF and I graded it a VF/NM. I let him return it without hesitation but because he went through the automated eBay return process I get dinged even though it was a very civil return process for him which he later thanked me for.

Since eBay can't differ in what we all know is subjective grading they just treat as item not as described the customer.

Ironically he emails me today saying he wanted it back.....uhhhhhh

Edited by SPECTRE_nWo

So I had the same return. My book is the first pic. The second book is the book he sent me back.

dcharleyf.jpg

harleybent.jpg

Damn.

It's really no different than a brick-and-mortar having to deal with shoplifters.

Just gotta try to absorb the cost and pass it on to the rest of the customers without driving them away.

Fracking thieves! :mad:

Wait I just had a look at both books and its not even close to being the same! Can you not show this to eBay and have them help you out?

So I refunded the buyer I had no choice in the matter. I either accept returns or I don't its the cost of doing business.

In all fairness had this guy just come out at the beginning and told me the book was damaged I might have believed this even though the way I pack it seems really hard to imagine this damage. It should have been more in the corners from drops and such.

I cant stress enough for you to ban this buyer. The messages I have been getting from him are long drawn out paragraphs that just ramble on about how its all my fault. He told me first his thought he was buying a 1st print from 1999 even though my listing clearly says its not. Then after I refused to let him reship it to me at my cost I told him to file with ebay. Why? so I could have a record of all this.

About the 3rd email is when the book now has terrible damage and wasn't graded correctly. I just kept telling this guy it wasn't my fault and he needs to file with ebay which he finally did. I refunded him and I am still getting emails from him. This guy has a lot of problems I am gathering or different personalities I am unsure which. Save yourself the headache. I don't think in 15 years of selling/buying I have seen such a problem.

What is the ebay handle again to block? cda-shop?

Unless you need the DSR discount its not that big of a deal.

Not true what so ever.

I had a month where the I could only sell 5k worth of sales because my seller performance dipped below standard. I have 100% feedback and called eBay and was just floored with their drink the magic drink response.

If you take returns and you refunded the buyer nothing from that transaction should effect your seller performance. I might as well not even bother to offer returns if they are just going to ding me anyway if the buyer goes through the automated process.

It is really becoming a burden for sellers.

So by me selling a .99c comic book and if they hit the return button they could cost me thousands on future sales.

Edited by SPECTRE_nWo

Auto-reject? Nope.

After checking your slate of sales items, your need for seeing all offers makes sense because there's a lot of wiggle-room in there, a lot more than lower-ticket books.

Auto-reject? Nope.

After checking your slate of sales items, your need for seeing all offers makes sense because there's a lot of wiggle-room in there, a lot more than lower-ticket books.

Are you saying my books are overpriced...?

;)