• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,602 posts in this topic

Is it coocoo season over at eBay....?

hm

Buyer asks about the book, and I respond. They make an offer of $4 (it's a $6 book.)

I decline without a counter because...well...it's a $6 book. :shrug:

I respond in the decline:

Hi...it's priced pretty reasonably as is. Thanks!

He/she replies:

New message from: akadelta62 Top Rated Seller(364Turquoise Star)

I am confused. You list this book as or best offer but my impression from your message is that is not really the case???

I respond:

Yes, there's a best offer....but that doesn't mean I have to accept the offer. You offered 33% off my asking price, which is already pretty fair as I see it. I wasn't interested in the offer, so I declined it. If you had offered, say, $5.50 (and I understand that we're not talking about great amounts of money, here), I probably would have accepted it.

No big deal, and they have a point in why having Best Offer if you're really not going to consider them, but I made an effort to reason with a potential customer. 33% off, whether it's $4 or $400, probably isn't going to inspire me to sell.

They reply:

Of course you don't have to accept it. I was just curious what your logic was in posting a book as a 'or best offer' when you clearly were not interested in selling it for less than it's posted price. Now i know.

:screwy:

I respond (because trying to reason with people is not without benefit in the long run):

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "clearly were not interested in selling it for less than its posted price", when I told you I would accept, say, $5,50. That's LESS THAN the posted price. Am I interested in selling it for $4? No. Might I be interested in selling it for $5? Maybe; I'd have to think about it. Thus, the "Best Offer" option, which is exactly what it's for. It allows a seller to consider an offer.

Not sure why you're having a problem with this. It's pretty straightforward.

Over sensitive eBayers around...

So you're bickering over 50 cents

5 cents, 50 cents, at some point you have to decide its not worth your time.

Or, the dollar amount isn't relevant, and what IS worth your time is trying to reason with people who may not understand the situation.

Although, you can set it up so that offers below what you'll actually take are automatically declined.

Yes, not a problem if you're listing 1, or 2, or 10 items.

When you list several hundred to several thousands, it becomes a bit of a problem. And, that assumes you know what you will and won't take on every item, and that that amount won't change.

Seems like it would just be easier to not enable best offer on low dollar books.

Well there is that. However, I could also see it as a bit of laziness or practicality when relisting and item. Say for example I have a book that is $20 OBO. I relist it just doesn't sell. Eventually, I want to move some inventory and lower that book to $5 just so someone takes it. However, I was lazy or from a sense of ease due to relisting so many listings at once, I don't edit out the OBO part.

hm

Buyer asks about the book, and I respond. They make an offer of $4 (it's a $6 book.)

He/she replies:

I am confused. You list this book as or best offer but my impression from your message is that is not really the case???

I respond:

Yes, there's a best offer....but that doesn't mean I have to accept the offer. You offered 33% off my asking price, which is already pretty fair as I see it. I wasn't interested in the offer, so I declined it. If you had offered, say, $5.50 (and I understand that we're not talking about great amounts of money, here), I probably would have accepted it.

No big deal, and they have a point in why having Best Offer if you're really not going to consider them, but I made an effort to reason with a potential customer. 33% off, whether it's $4 or $400, probably isn't going to inspire me to sell.

They reply:

Of course you don't have to accept it. I was just curious what your logic was in posting a book as a 'or best offer' when you clearly were not interested in selling it for less than it's posted price. Now i know.

I respond (because trying to reason with people is not without benefit in the long run):

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "clearly were not interested in selling it for less than its posted price", when I told you I would accept, say, $5,50. That's LESS THAN the posted price. Am I interested in selling it for $4? No. Might I be interested in selling it for $5? Maybe; I'd have to think about it. Thus, the "Best Offer" option, which is exactly what it's for. It allows a seller to consider an offer.

Same buyer bought from me recently, was mostly concerned about packaging in his/her communications.

Got the book and he/she even paid extra for additional shipping charges and left very positive feedback for me. :)

FWIW, I typically don't do OBO for books under $6-7 just for this reason (shrug)

hm

He/she replies:

I respond:

They reply:

Same buyer bought from me recently, was mostly concerned about packaging in his/her communications.

Got the book and he/she even paid extra for additional shipping charges and left very positive feedback for me. :)

hm

eBay should have new categories of feedback: very positive, and very negative. Think of the possibilities!

:D

Glad you had a good transaction with them. In my experience, picky buyers like this aren't worth the sale, especially if they're going to make a fuss over a low dollar item.

FWIW, I typically don't do OBO for books under $6-7 just for this reason (shrug)

There are people out there who are good buyers, but they feel like they always need to get some kind of deal, even if it's just 5 or 10%. I don't want to turn down those potential customers because of that, even if it's just a low dollar item..

There are people out there who are good buyers, but they feel like they always need to get some kind of deal, even if it's just 5 or 10%. I don't want to turn down those potential customers because of that, even if it's just a low dollar item..

lol! Yeah I'm kinda like that but mainly for in-person sales. If it's over $20 I always seem to want to squeeze even 5-10% off the price. :grin:

hm

He/she replies:

I respond:

They reply:

Come on you are making this up?

You didn't really argue that long over a $6 book right.

You just declined with no comment and are pulling our leg right?

Buyer to add to the list - sjy209

He bought Batman & Detective runs off of me. Wanted to return them even before getting them. I received the books back and there were many issues swapped out with lower grade issues. I spoke to Ebay and it looks like I'm effed

Duly noted. :mad:

Yes what Kav said. Keep at it until you get the right person. If it is in ebay message system that they wanted a return straight away might look dubious to them.

What he said. Definitely don't give up on the first try. Keep pestering them until they understand what really happened. :sumo:

Buyer to add to the list - sjy209

He bought Batman & Detective runs off of me. Wanted to return them even before getting them. I received the books back and there were many issues swapped out with lower grade issues. I spoke to Ebay and it looks like I'm effed

Something like that happened to me, but with a NYX #3 and a Batman (52) #1. Sorry that happened to you. More and more of this swapping is going around.