• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,602 posts in this topic

3 generations of entitlement. It's going to get much worse.

And people wonder why I say what I say.

FWIW, that word didn't even exist in the English language until FDR.

:cool:

That would appear to be incorrect. Numerous places cite first usage to 1823. An example, from thesaurus.com:

1823, perhaps in some senses from Fr. entitlement, which long had been used in legal language; in part a native formation from entitle + -ment. Entitlement culture attested by late 1980s.

In America, the legal term "entitlement" never existed before FDR. If you believe that is was, you can try to find examples in any American legal document, law, reference or even newspaper article using the word "entitlement" prior to the New Deal, but I don't believe you will find any American use of the term "entitlement" prior to FDR.

etymonline.com/index -

entitlement (n.) Look up entitlement at Dictionary.com

1823, perhaps in some senses from French entitlement, which was in Old French as "tit;e (of a book), inscription," and later was used in legal language; but also in part a native formation from entitle + -ment. Entitlement culture attested by 1994 (culture of entitlement is from 1989).

I don't want to belabor the point though - unless we want to start talking about FDR, the New Deal and how it affected Golden Age comics of the period. :cool:

lol - Just an amusing story... the eBay member won't have any impact on anyone here but it should be told.

A relative of mine is starting to sell on eBay and just added their first person to their block list. She is selling off some of her handbags and jewelry. (Which is fine because she used to ask me to sell it for her.)

Item was around $200

Bidder 1: makes an offer for $130. Declined countered at $150 with, "That is the lowest I will go." Bidder one responds with $140 saying I only want to pay $140. Seller counters again saying, "Sorry, $150"

Bidder 2: Makes an offer of $175 a day after the $150 offer goes out to Bidder 1. Seller accepts while the counter is out. (Remember multiple bidders and make multiple offers all at the same time on eBay)

Bidder 1 launches a tirade of messages about how she is 'owed' the piece and how the seller has a 'moral obligation' to sell it to them because they would have taken it for $150. Bidder 1 claims how the seller is damned and how what goes around comes around and to wait and see.

Seller - relative turns their account over to me as they don't know how to handle this. Please cease and desist from further communication and you are blocked from engaging in all bidding activity with this account. Any further communication will be reported.

Guess what...

Loopdee Loo continues her tirade. Reported.

I know someone who feels entittled to take his time pressing books, these entittled elites, I'm ready to start a revolution and overthrow them.

:jokealert:

I don't need a thesis explaining why you take your time. You already explained it to me. :makepoint:

Edited by Conan_Aficionado

FWIW, that word didn't even exist in the English language until FDR.

:cool:

That would appear to be incorrect. Numerous places cite first usage to 1823. An example, from thesaurus.com:

1823, perhaps in some senses from Fr. entitlement, which long had been used in legal language; in part a native formation from entitle + -ment. Entitlement culture attested by late 1980s.

In America, the legal term "entitlement" never existed before FDR. If you believe that is was, you can try to find examples in any American legal document, law, reference or even newspaper article using the word "entitlement" prior to the New Deal, but I don't believe you will find any American use of the term "entitlement" prior to FDR.

etymonline.com/index -

entitlement (n.) Look up entitlement at Dictionary.com

1823, perhaps in some senses from French entitlement, which was in Old French as "tit;e (of a book), inscription," and later was used in legal language; but also in part a native formation from entitle + -ment. Entitlement culture attested by 1994 (culture of entitlement is from 1989).

I don't want to belabor the point though - unless we want to start talking about FDR, the New Deal and how it affected Golden Age comics of the period. :cool:

I just looked in the archives on the New York Times web site and the first use of "entitlement" in that paper was in 1890. It looks like the word appeared in articles 13 times prior to FDR's inauguration in 1933. I don't know whether the Times' archive is complete enough to catch every usage in the paper.

Of course, this is way OT. :D

lol - Just an amusing story... the eBay member won't have any impact on anyone here but it should be told.

A relative of mine is starting to sell on eBay and just added their first person to their block list. She is selling off some of her handbags and jewelry. (Which is fine because she used to ask me to sell it for her.)

Item was around $200

Bidder 1: makes an offer for $130. Declined countered at $150 with, "That is the lowest I will go." Bidder one responds with $140 saying I only want to pay $140. Seller counters again saying, "Sorry, $150"

Bidder 2: Makes an offer of $175 a day after the $150 offer goes out to Bidder 1. Seller accepts while the counter is out. (Remember multiple bidders and make multiple offers all at the same time on eBay)

Bidder 1 launches a tirade of messages about how she is 'owed' the piece and how the seller has a 'moral obligation' to sell it to them because they would have taken it for $150. Bidder 1 claims how the seller is damned and how what goes around comes around and to wait and see.

Seller - relative turns their account over to me as they don't know how to handle this. Please cease and desist from further communication and you are blocked from engaging in all bidding activity with this account. Any further communication will be reported.

Guess what...

Loopdee Loo continues her tirade. Reported.

I know someone who feels entittled to take his time pressing books, these entittled elites, I'm ready to start a revolution and overthrow them.

:jokealert:

Well....it goes like this...

I don't need a thesis explaining why you take your time. You already explained it to me. :makepoint:

Oh, ok. Nevermind, then.

:P

I'd like to nominate eBay buyer zambo47 to the blocked buyers list.

Long story short, buyer alleged a technical glitch with combined invoice, when I told him eBay's response (they saw no glitch and asked for him to call eBay), buyer stopped communication and I had to open (and close) a case for non-payment.

i dont understand the non paying bidder mentality ... when i win an auction i am so excited that i pay immediately to have my book the fastest as possible

This guy was a real winner...

When I told him eBay told me that he should call them as they could not see any error on 'our' end, he left some barely readable message about how I was not helping him.

I asked for his email address as the other work around proposed by eBay to this supposed "glitch' was to send him an invoice directly via PayPal.

He provided his email, I sent the invoice via PayPal and that is when communication stopped completely and I went ahead and opened and closed the case. Strange thing is, the guy has been on eBay for awhile so not sure why he went off the rails on this one...

Edited by Wall-Crawler

This exchange literally just happened a few minutes ago:

New message from: jlwolf12 (107Turquoise Star)

Hey man would you part with them for $100? On PayPal invoice to save you fees I will pay shipping as well

* BATMAN The Dark Knight Returns #1-4 Miller Joker VF/NM-NM! All 1st Prints

On 8/18/15, 4:44 PM, comic-sutra wrote:

No, thank you. The #1 alone is worth more than that. Good luck!

You don't have to be rude. I'm sorry if my offer offended. I'm new to collecting comics so I don't know much on prices. I was at least expecting a counter offer or something

Dear jlwolf12,

No one was being rude, and you have overdeveloped sensitivity. Your offer didn't offend, I'm simply not interested in 1. off eBay offers during active listings, and 2. the price you offered.

If you don't know much about comics, you should do a completed item search to see how much these are selling for. If you don't know much, though....how did you know enough to make an offer of $100?

It was just a simple offer. Apparently you don't know much about comics if you call yours NM with 1. Only one picture of number 1, 2. Even that book doesn't qualify for NM, 3. You can't even show all covers. Good luck selling them. You've been blocked goodbye

Dear jlwolf12,

As confirmed, you have an overdeveloped sensitivity, and a sense of entitlement that is unbecoming. You will do a lot better in life if you develop some humility. If not, things will go very badly for you.

Check my sold listings...I've just recently sold two sets for substantially more than your offer, for lower grade copies, and they didn't ask to do an off eBay transaction.

Good luck.

:cloud9:

All within 5 minutes.

Run, don't walk, to block. Nothing but problems for kids like this.

This exchange literally just happened a few minutes ago:

Hey man would you part with them for $100? On PayPal invoice to save you fees I will pay shipping as well

* BATMAN The Dark Knight Returns #1-4 Miller Joker VF/NM-NM! All 1st Prints

On 8/18/15, 4:44 PM, comic-sutra wrote:

No, thank you. The #1 alone is worth more than that. Good luck!

You don't have to be rude. I'm sorry if my offer offended. I'm new to collecting comics so I don't know much on prices. I was at least expecting a counter offer or something

Dear jlwolf12,

No one was being rude, and you have overdeveloped sensitivity. Your offer didn't offend, I'm simply not interested in 1. off eBay offers during active listings, and 2. the price you offered.

If you don't know much about comics, you should do a completed item search to see how much these are selling for. If you don't know much, though....how did you know enough to make an offer of $100?

It was just a simple offer. Apparently you don't know much about comics if you call yours NM with 1. Only one picture of number 1, 2. Even that book doesn't qualify for NM, 3. You can't even show all covers. Good luck selling them. You've been blocked goodbye

Dear jlwolf12,

As confirmed, you have an overdeveloped sensitivity, and a sense of entitlement that is unbecoming. You will do a lot better in life if you develop some humility. If not, things will go very badly for you.

Check my sold listings...I've just recently sold two sets for substantially more than your offer, for lower grade copies, and they didn't ask to do an off eBay transaction.

Good luck.

:cloud9:

All within 5 minutes.

Run, don't walk, to block. Nothing but problems for kids like this.

escalated.gif

I wanted to copy and paste this from General Discussion so that you guys can be aware....

FF 1

Fyi please don't bid on this ff1 as the listing is a fraud. I own the actual book he is using in the image. I reported the listing on ebay thru resolution center stating it is a fraudulent listing. Is there anything else that I should do? Would calling them be more effective?

thanks