• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,319 posts in this topic

Great stuff! I wish people wouldn't talk about A Moon, A Girl...Romance #11 being tough to get..... How am I going to score a copy with this much competition?

Well, mine's just a Canadian edition, if that makes you feel any better. ;) It is a seriously hard title to come by -- I would like to get a decent midgrade #10, if you ever come across one in search for your #11! :)

let see the EC Fan-Addict club kits, show your certificates, patches, members cards and pins

my certificate is #12673 with the same member card with a unused patch.

This is cool stuff!! I'm wondering if anyone has the pictures of the Ghoulunatics that they were always trying to sell in the letters pages. I've gotten through about 20 of the EC Archives books and it must have been a decent revenue stream for them since they mentioned them so often.

let see the EC Fan-Addict club kits, show your certificates, patches, members cards and pins

This is cool stuff!! I'm wondering if anyone has the pictures of the Ghoulunatics that they were always trying to sell in the letters pages. I've gotten through about 20 of the EC Archives books and it must have been a decent revenue stream for them since they mentioned them so often.

Those have been reproduced, so be cautious if buying them as originals. In the letter columns, you may recall that the EC editors encouraged readers to buy them, to help put their office boy through college! And this was true, as it was the office boy's notion to make them up and offer them for sale -- it generated a decent amount over several years and the office boy did in fact get all proceeds from their sale from Bill Gaines. Johnny Craig served as the model for each of the GhoulLunatics, with makeup and props and photography by Al Feldstein. :)

Here's an amazing set with original mailing envelope that was sold by Heritage:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/miscellaneous/ec-ghoulunatics-photo-set-with-envelope-ec-1951-in-ec-s-horror-heyday-its-titles-had-such-a-fan-following-that-feldstein/a/807-5554.s

...it's a shame more publishers didn't follow suit...... fresh, mint comics are so mesmerizing. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I hear you, but I kind of don't like them in a way because they are so unnatural! No offense of cooourse! But on some weird level I'd rather have a nice 9.0 copy that I know had been read and cherished. (shrug)

Great stuff! I wish people wouldn't talk about A Moon, A Girl...Romance #11 being tough to get..... How am I going to score a copy with this much competition?

Well, mine's just a Canadian edition, if that makes you feel any better. ;) It is a seriously hard title to come by -- I would like to get a decent midgrade #10, if you ever come across one in search for your #11! :)

I once saw a #10 in a large group of otherwise unremarkable romance comics. I put in a low bid because I assumed nobody else saw what was hidden in the lot. Bad assumption! Somebody sniped it and scored. That was back before I was hip to sniping. Boy did I hate those snipers! Lost out on a lot of what would probably have been amazing deals.

I have a low grade Moon... Girl... Romance #10 but it's really a beater. I also have issue #9 which is being graded by CGC right now. I am thinking (hoping) it will probably grade around a 5.0.

I have a set of those I believe in the envelope. I'll try and remember to take a photo of it next time I've got my camera out. Yes, they have been reproduced as well as the membership kit. The repro kit has a sticker instead of the metal pin. I'll shoot 'em both for you.

Those have been reproduced, so be cautious if buying them as originals. In the letter columns, you may recall that the EC editors encouraged readers to buy them, to help put their office boy through college! And this was true, as it was the office boy's notion to make them up and offer them for sale -- it generated a decent amount over several years and the office boy did in fact get all proceeds from their sale from Bill Gaines. Johnny Craig served as the model for each of the GhoulLunatics, with makeup and props and photography by Al Feldstein. :)

http://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/miscellaneous/ec-ghoulunatics-photo-set-with-envelope-ec-1951-in-ec-s-horror-heyday-its-titles-had-such-a-fan-following-that-feldstein/a/807-5554.s

I have a set of those I believe in the envelope. I'll try and remember to take a photo of it next time I've got my camera out. Yes, they have been reproduced as well as the membership kit. The repro kit has a sticker instead of the metal pin. I'll shoot 'em both for you.

If you feel inclined share some pre code horror? You wouldn't have a nice Voodoo 8? I think it is a much underappreciated baker classic.

Hi all - I posted these in the Pre-Code thread but clearly they belong here. Bought these in lots in an auction in December. An original owner collection in San Francisco. Most are mid-grade. A few lower and a few higher.

IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2055-1.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg

I once saw a #10 in a large group of otherwise unremarkable romance comics. I put in a low bid because I assumed nobody else saw what was hidden in the lot. Bad assumption! Somebody sniped it and scored. That was back before I was hip to sniping. Boy did I hate those snipers! Lost out on a lot of what would probably have been amazing deals.

I have a low grade Moon... Girl... Romance #10 but it's really a beater. I also have issue #9 which is being graded by CGC right now. I am thinking (hoping) it will probably grade around a 5.0.

Best of luck on your grade! Been there on the losing end of a snipe -- too bad. OTOH, had you sniped that lot as well, one or the other of you might have paid a lot more than you intended! ;)

Thanks Robot Man! Would be helpful to see both sets, and be more clear on the differences between the repros and the originals. :)

If you feel inclined share some pre code horror? You wouldn't have a nice Voodoo 8? I think it is a much underappreciated baker classic.

Yes I do have a Voodoo #8. Not sure what shape it's in but will try and dig it out tonight. Stay tuned Ghoulantics, last night I dug out the photos and kit as well as a few other surprises. I will post them later on today...

OK gang, as promised, here is some cool EC stuff As the Old Witch would say: "Fasten your drool cups kiddies!"

First up is the set of "Ghoulantic" photos in the mailer. There are reproductions of these photos on thin paper but these are the real deal. I believe I got them from Grant Giessman many years ago in a trade.

ecphotos_zpsnjhiaq2f.jpg

Next up is a complete Fan Addict kit in the mailer with all 5 newsletter that were sent out later. There is also a repro of this kit with a sticker instead of the metal pin.

Cool back story on this one. In the late 1970's I used to go every week to Wonderworld Comics to get my new comics. The owner was an older man named Richard Kyle. Richard was an old time fan and ran with the Thompsons, Jerry Bails and was the publisher of Alter Ego I believe. We would always talk old comics. I asked him once what happened to his collection. He told me sadly, they were lost in a house fire. He knew I was a big EC fan. One day in December I went into his shop for my weekly comic fix and he said he had a Christmas present for me. He pulled this kit out from under the counter and handed it to me. I was floored and said I couldn't just take it as it was worth a lot of money. He said that it was the only thing left from his EC collection and he had sent away for it himself. He told me that if I agreed to never sell it it was mine! Richard, if you are reading this, I am a man of my word and still have it. And it ain't going nowhere!

ecfanaddictkit_zps6xcewj5n.jpg

Next in line is the 1972 EC Fan Addict Convention Kit. This was held in New York and featured Gaines, Feldstein and ALL the EC folks except Ghastly I believe. This kit is complete even down to the un-used tickets. Now this would have been something to see. I was just a kid and didn't even know about it at the time.

ecconkit_zpshiseoyvl.jpg