• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,323 posts in this topic

On 5/2/2023 at 7:22 AM, ThothAmon said:

IMG_9034.jpeg

IMG_9035.jpeg

IMG_9036.jpeg

IMG_9037.jpeg

IMG_9038.jpeg

Personally, I have always preferred CSS 20 over 22. The close up image, the coloring and mood, the eyes and neck. The fact that any kid with a dime could have brought it home and hid it from their parents. Must have really stood out on the rack…

On 5/2/2023 at 4:42 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

And I always preferred CSS 17 over both of those! But those 3 are definitely the trifecta of the title.

I include CSS 16 among the title’s best  covers.

On 5/2/2023 at 11:49 AM, Robot Man said:

Personally, I have always preferred CSS 20 over 22. The close up image, the coloring and mood, the eyes and neck. The fact that any kid with a dime could have brought it home and hid it from their parents. Must have really stood out on the rack…

Always enjoy your insight on these books Robotman and it’s important that you used the word preference because it ultimately comes down to what we prefer. l am curious however about how you compare a hanging cover to a decapitated head cover? I have both books in my collection and consider them to be the best of the precode “hanging” and “decapitated head” motifs. They also have historical significance with 20 forever referred by Wertham as the “cover of a children’s magazine” and 22 the cover that put Gaines on the hot seat that led to the end of precode books. I compare these books to their motif “contemporaries” but not to one another because they are different covers. Still, it comes down to your preference as to what covers you like better than others and I respect that. 

On 5/3/2023 at 3:01 PM, vaultkeeper said:

I always thought Shock Suspenstories #8 was a very violent cover. It's on my short list of favorite EC covers.

shock suspenstories #8.jpg

I broke a lot of hearts when I snagged a nice copy right here on the boards. Was the last one I needed to complete my run.

In addition to the “shocking” cover, it has a nice Williamson story as well! 

On 5/3/2023 at 7:56 PM, Silver said:

Just got in this insane copy of WS 13. Acquiring this made a nice five issue consecutive run of some fantastic Wood covers. While my personal favorite is still 15, I love each of these books. Thanks to @Inaflash for starting this addiction to EC sci-fi. His multiple copies of WF 17 got me hooked. The WS13 puts me over the 50% line on my quest for a complete EC sci-fi run. I'm now at 29/57 issues. 

IMG_2365.jpeg

57?  I count 55… 22 WS, 22 WF, 7 WS-F, 4 ISF.  I would also allow the 1st 11 issues of Shock SuspenStories, and 3D EC Classics #1.  But adding either of those puts us at 56, 65, or 66.

None of that detracts from the books themselves, of course!