• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,323 posts in this topic

On 3/4/2023 at 4:49 PM, OtherEric said:

EC's are scarce on the ground at ECCC this year, other than the humor books.  But was able to find at least one EC I didn't have and could afford, at least.  A first issue, even:

Fat and Slat 1.jpg

Nice find! A fun EC #1. A bit of a Mutt & Jeff rip off. I like Comics McCormick (probably a Supersnipe rip off) but usually a fun read. I’m still looking for that one. 

On 3/4/2023 at 5:49 PM, OtherEric said:

EC's are scarce on the ground at ECCC this year, other than the humor books.  But was able to find at least one EC I didn't have and could afford, at least.  A first issue, even:

Fat and Slat 1.jpg

A 2.5 recently sold on ebay. I thought about getting it but passed with it only having 1 bid at $84. Maybe I should've grabbed it. As said, it's an EC #1.

Edited by grendelbo

On 3/4/2023 at 7:17 PM, Robot Man said:

I like Comics McCormick (probably a Supersnipe rip off) but usually a fun read.

I like the art for Comics McCormick better. The "bigfoot" Ed Wheelan style is deceptively good, and of course, you are always reminded of R. Crumb.

Edited by KirbyJack

On 3/8/2023 at 5:25 PM, Robot Man said:

Thought some of you folks might be interested. I'm good on all of these.

I did call about the Subby #1 and the other Timelys but must have just missed them...

Side note. Anybody else remember when CSS #22 and 23 were worth the same price? And "NM" in those days are probably 7.0-8.0 now.

:roflmao:

georgesuarez.jpg

:takeit:all of them! lol

On 3/8/2023 at 3:25 PM, Robot Man said:

Thought some of you folks might be interested. I'm good on all of these.

I did call about the Subby #1 and the other Timelys but must have just missed them...

Side note. Anybody else remember when CSS #22 and 23 were worth the same price? And "NM" in those days are probably 7.0-8.0 now.

:roflmao:

I do remember when CSS #22 and #23 were worth the same premium over other issues.  I'm pretty sure it was already shifting when I got my CSS 23... but not by nearly as much as now.

Is CSS #22 the most valuable New Trend book these days?  The only ones that I can think of that might compete are The Crypt of Terror issues.  (I am counting the Crime Patrol/ War Against Crime issues with the early Crypt Keeper/ Vault Keeper appearances as late Pre Trend here, although they're pretty much the definition of "on the edge")

Edited by OtherEric

On 3/8/2023 at 4:15 PM, KirbyJack said:

You would certainly have a more current idea about what things are selling for, however.

Less than you might think, none of the ones you list are on my realistic hope to get list.

I think Shock #6 is tickling the bottom of the top 5, as well.  And who knows what a Shock Illustrated #3 would do when it hit the market.

On 3/8/2023 at 3:52 PM, KirbyJack said:

As evidenced by the Shock 1 price range, back in the day there was a much smaller spread in the prices between good and nm.

I, always one to maximize my collecting dollar, consistently passed over those outrageously expensive high grade books to find low grade bargains!

You weren't the only one doing that, little brother.  And I think back then there were only 3 Overstreet grades; Good, Fine, and Near Mint.

On 3/8/2023 at 6:07 PM, KirbyJack said:

I would put CSS 22 right in the top 5 or so in terms of current market value.   
I’ll suggest these 

Tales of Terror annual 1

Vault of Horror 12

Crime Patrol 15

Crypt of Terror 17 

Crime Suspenstories 22 

It is pretty surprising, in retrospect, that CSS 22 was considered no big deal until recently. I guess most thought of it as just another gory EC cover. Also, CSS was low on the collectible EC totem pole. Most EC collectors were into horror, sci-fi, or MAD.

On 3/11/2023 at 9:04 AM, grendelbo said:

And both cheaper than Valor #1! :roflmao:

Valor #1 will have its day in the sun again. I'm buying every copy I can find and getting ready. :sumo: