• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,323 posts in this topic

On 5/12/2023 at 7:34 PM, Raze said:

Story time...

My first experience with EC was the HBO Tales form the Crypt TV Show, I loved it!! I own the complete dvd set. There were a few stories that I really remembered that stuck out to me. And when I really started collecting EC books I was trying to get those issues. I have a few of them, especially 2 of my favorites.  

Well I read VOH 16 just now and 3 of the 4 stories are on the TV show! I think thats the most from one issue. So needless to say this book is a Winner!

The 3 stories are, "Werewolf Concerto", "Fitting Punishment" (one of the TV adaptions I remember clearly) and "Escape!".

Ive also noticed that the TV adapted books go for a little more as well...

I mentioned that I liked 2 stories well here they are in no order "Carrion of death" (SSS 9) and "4-Sided Triangle" (SSS 17)  

Scan 2023-4-17 21.28.58.jpg

I didn’t know they made an episode of “Carrion Death”. One of the scariest PCH stories I’ve ever read. Got it as a kid and it actually gave me nightmares. I can’t imagine what it would be like on film…

On 5/13/2023 at 3:17 AM, Professor Echo said:

Anyone enjoy this post code series from EC? I really liked the first issue, but I thought the next two were pretty dull. It's the first NEW DIRECTION title I've sampled and it's a bit disappointing because I thought even with elements watered down or completely dissolved the books might still be interesting on other levels. I'll read the whole series and then move onto IMPACT, VALOR and PIRATES and see if I like those. I don't see myself ever reading MD or PSYCHOANALYSIS, but never say never.

EXTRA! complete reprints #1-5 - Mint (EC Comics, Gemstone) | eBay

Extra is OK but generally not to memorable to me. For art and stories my favorites are Aces High and Piracy. Valor primarily for art. 

On 5/13/2023 at 5:58 AM, Point Five said:

Oddly enough, Psychoanalysis was my EC 'gateway drug' some three decades ago. I thought it was a pretty weird and entertaining topic for a 50s comic, and it got me to try out the better-known horror and sci-fi titles. Mileage varies of course.

I said something like this here before, more than once:  Psychoanalysis is like an 80's indy comic 3 decades too early.  It plays directly to Kamen's strengths as an artist, using facial expressions to convey tons of information about the character's mental states.  The cover of #3 is a surreal masterpiece.

Really, other than the fact it was a self evidentially horrible idea for a comic, it wasn't a bad idea for a comic.

On 5/13/2023 at 11:34 AM, OtherEric said:

I said something like this here before, more than once:  Psychoanalysis is like an 80's indy comic 3 decades too early.  It plays directly to Kamen's strengths as an artist, using facial expressions to convey tons of information about the character's mental states.  The cover of #3 is a surreal masterpiece.

Really, other than the fact it was a self evidentially horrible idea for a comic, it wasn't a bad idea for a comic.

Right, all this!

From today's perspective, it was also arguably coming out at exactly the wrong time as the Comics Code scrutiny of EC titles was likely at its most intense. Bill Gaines later gave interviews bemoaning the absurdity of writing stories about a guy with issues re his Jewish identity when they were forbidden to even use the word 'Jewish'.

On 5/13/2023 at 5:12 PM, Robot Man said:

Extra is OK but generally not to memorable to me. For art and stories my favorites are Aces High and Piracy. Valor primarily for art. 

Yes, I forgot about ACES HIGH when enumerating the New Direction titles above. I have a Dark Horse Archive collection of it, but have not read any of it yet. I'm glad to see you recommend it and now I look forward to checking it out. Thanks. 

On 5/13/2023 at 2:58 PM, Point Five said:

Oddly enough, Psychoanalysis was my EC 'gateway drug' some three decades ago. I thought it was a pretty weird and entertaining topic for a 50s comic, and it got me to try out the better-known horror and sci-fi titles. Mileage varies of course.

On 5/13/2023 at 5:34 PM, OtherEric said:

Oh man, you guys just psychoanalyzed ME with those comments. I was summarily dismissive of the title in my post above, but the truth begging to come out of my tortured subconscious is that I've always wondered what the hell that comic might be on the inside. Now you've both whetted my imagination and there's no turning back. I think just based on uniqueness (i.e. weirdness) alone, it's worth a look, but I guess I just needed an intellectual shove to check it out. So thanks (I hope!).  

Now let's see how weak my resolve is on MD if someone chimes in with how good that one is. How can anyone say the 1950's were such a boring, complacent, conformist decade in our culture when so much strange lava kept bubbling to the surface? 

On 5/13/2023 at 7:20 PM, EC ed said:

For about a decade I've had a heck of a time finding an upgrade to my VG'ish copy of VoH #31. Finally, a decent one popped up at Bedrock City :headbang: . Sure, an 8.0 would have been better, but this one'll do just fine (no pun intended :D). Besides, something feels amiss if I don't buy a book from @MrBedrock every so often :foryou:

voh31a_f.jpeg

Thank you, Ed!

On 5/21/2023 at 11:17 AM, Jayman said:

Me neither. Just not my main collecting focus, but I had to have this one. 

Two-Fisted Tales # 30.jpg

That happens to be one of the greatest war covers ever! A classic cover by Davis, so you chose wisely.

On 5/21/2023 at 9:26 AM, KirbyJack said:

Two Fisted Tales is my hands-down favorite EC title. While I do love that Davis cover, this is my favorite.

IMG_1128.thumb.jpeg.9694ea945f6f9b0b08a08d6bc0d1c56f.jpeg

Speaking of nailing the look of a traumatized soldier, I suggest this’n.

IMG_1127.thumb.jpeg.60fcdc557f326511a2eced70584f00ed.jpeg

2FT is buried treasure. I recommend even the later Severin issues! Collect ‘em all!

IMG_1177.thumb.jpeg.5393097187d727ccdf1ceef608bbebd7.jpeg

Real hard for me to pick a favorite EC series. They are ALL the best comics ever published. Both the war titles are probably the best war books ever published. They are actually still very affordable as ECs go. I can’t recomended them enough and sorry they don’t get the love they richly deserve.

When the Gaines file copies came out I was a little late but I had to snag TFT 25! 

On 5/20/2023 at 12:29 PM, fifties said:

Not an EC title that I especially collect, but I really wanted the #41 which was part of the auction group, as it kinda reminds me of my COT 19.

Two Fisted Tales.jpg

The Crypt of Terror 19.jpg

What a bummer to have to take those other 3 to get that 41…:baiting:

If we are talking about comparing the covers of those two, I would prefer the TFT. The mood, and coloring is so much better. Because of the subdued foreground, your eye goes right to the bright open window and the shine on the knife. Besides, as much as I love Johnny Craig, I love Jack Davis a little more.