• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,323 posts in this topic

On 9/25/2021 at 1:42 AM, fifties said:

If the CCA situation hadn't a mucked things up, these would have been two of the February 1955 EC covers;   That Vault cover is still terrifying, ain't it?

Haunt of Fear 29.jpg

Vault of Horror 41.jpg

This is what I was looking for! 

Does anyone know if prints were made for the VOH 41? I want one!

I thought the art for VOH 41 (and maybe the other issue too) was done in the 70s.

Craig even drew the host portraits. They aren't the cut and paste often seen in other original art.

(shrug)

On 4/15/2023 at 10:17 PM, grendelbo said:

I thought the art for VOH 41 (and maybe the other issue too) was done in the 70s.

With 10 cent cover prices and no room for a CCA stamp?  Not hardly.  The only EC publication to survive after 1955 was Mad Magazine.

On 4/15/2023 at 11:55 PM, fifties said:

With 10 cent cover prices and no room for a CCA stamp?  Not hardly.  The only EC publication to survive after 1955 was Mad Magazine.

No, not published. But no OO existed for VOH 41. Craig created this cover as a commission or something in the 70s.

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/243994/THE-VAULT-OF-HORROR-41-UNPUBLISHED-COMIC-BOOK-COVER-ORIGINAL-ART-BY-JOHNNY-CRAIG

(shrug)

Edited by grendelbo

On 4/18/2023 at 1:34 PM, Hap Hazard said:

Recent pick up a Land of the lost book with dust cover, published in 1945. Same writer and artist of the Land of the Lost title by EC.

Land of the Lost Book with dust cover.jpg

land of the lost.JPG

An amazing find Hap! Only other one I have ever seen was Grant’s copy. And to further rub it in, he has the Land of the Lost pinback button from the radio show! 

Great score! You might remember my outspoken love of Crypt 40, but I'm especially taken with the Vault 16. The early books, with their still-evolving cover elements, always catch my eye.

Edited by KirbyJack

I saw Bob Storms has Tales of Terror annuals listed for sale including the hard to find #1.

https://www.highgradecomics.com/book-details/?id=169390

totann1169390.thumb.jpg.7b27b4ed758cff5b0a7c7aa9d2efffbe.jpg

:jawdrop:

Way out of my price range.  I've been bidding on some ECs lately (Crypt and Vault) but getting blown out of the water (upwards of double Overstreet guide).