• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,319 posts in this topic

This thread should never fall off PAGE 1...

(thumbs u

Here's a bit of history. M.C. Gaines helped innovate in the craft of printing and how to package it. We take for granted that we have full color printing now. Back then it was a real technical challenge to make a visual treat for readers.

This is PM V.1 #5 from January, 1935. It titled itself "An Intimate Journal for Advertising Production Managers, Art Directors, and their Associates". In a special insert, Gaines discusses "Color and Comics in Advertising".

He presents samples of color comic advertisements, with commentary - "Helped Cannon Mills Sell Lots of Towels!"

The design of the magazine is so cool. The cover is thick card with thickly embossed text. There are several white magazine pages and then a newsprint insert with the Gaines article and color comics.

A collection of M.C. Gaines comics, on the cusp of him helping to create American comic books.

160038.jpg.62f1f871dd06161f28e1dc57f49b5080.jpg

160039.jpg.5640d36be290802f10ffae9e42baf106.jpg

160040.jpg.c4ed820e41daeeeb6b579724deeb6866.jpg

160041.jpg.d22b462d1ea57b9d602d29dbb8c26a3c.jpg

About a hundred years ago, I could've had a copy almost as pretty for $100.

Cleverly, I turned it down. I have an uncanny ability to avoid once in a lifetime books, like that VF Detective 168 in 1989. These items ruin your collection by distracting you from your "core focus".

Yeah, I've got this thing down.

I only have this low-grade copy of Vault of Horror #34:

Ahh yes, but the point is, you have a copy of an EC, and that's all it takes to recognize what sets the brand apart from all others.

Don't worry, you'll be getting more, eh eh.

Ahh yes, but the point is, you have a copy of an EC, and that's all it takes to recognize what sets the brand apart from all others.

Hopefully next month :wishluck:

Edited by creaturefan95

Hopefully next month :wishluck:

Welcome to the club - it's a long creepy journey from here lol

Posted this on "...can you spare a grade"...just curious to see how it would do.

<a  href=https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8108/8613173669_d7e34432d1_z.jpg' alt='8613173669_d7e34432d1_z.jpg'>IMG WEIRD FANTASY #13 (#1)

mm

Edited by Marty Mann

Marty, I think the book still presents well all things considered but the technical grade would suffer (I presume the back cover has some issues as well)....2.5?

The back cover's not too bad.

<a  href=https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1626/23958565263_d933d86ca9_z.jpg' alt='23958565263_d933d86ca9_z.jpg'>IMG WEIRD FANTASY #13 (#1) BACK COVER

mm

I wonder how many responses they received...and which story received the most votes?

<a  href=https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1512/24238319179_d2018d05e3_z.jpg' alt='24238319179_d2018d05e3_z.jpg'>IMG SPLASH PAGE from THE HAUNT OF FEAR #15 (#1) Request

mm

Typically, in the very next issue they'd reveal how the stories stacked up with their readers. Invariably, the poor text story came in dead last!

I checked out #16 the next issue and there was no mention of the previous issues stories,

may have been too soon...the last panel did have a request by "THE OLD WITCH" to write

and tell "her" what readers thought of the magazine.

Jump ahead to my next copy #6 from March/April 1951 and "THE OLD WITCH" is making

a pitch for "her wonderful photograph" for only a dime...and still a request for '...insulting

letters voting for your favorite story.".

mm