• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,320 posts in this topic

Mad_09_zps7d3d1bcf.jpg

And if I could have only one Don/Maggie book, it would be this Mad #9...sincerely. Nice to know who has it. ;) It actually holds a special place in Maggie's story. An excerpt from a Maggie interview I was reading:

Toucan: Is it because of the influence of your parents that you kept reading comics as you grew older?

Maggie: No, it was because comics kept being good. My interest in comics diminished until the EC line was in full flower and I bought MAD #9 off the newsstand.

- See more at: http://www.comic-con.org/toucan/maggie-thompson-four-color-life-part-one#sthash.KpKlVRKq.dpuf

I'm envious of this one...I love mid-grade pedigree copies...they're the best, in my book. If I could have a collection full of them, I'd be very, very happy.

Done - your collection of ECs for my collection of ECs. You all heard him folks. The 30 day clock is ticking now Ed. :sumo:

Mad_09_zps7d3d1bcf.jpg

And if I could have only one Don/Maggie book, it would be this Mad #9...sincerely. Nice to know who has it. ;) It actually holds a special place in Maggie's story. An excerpt from a Maggie interview I was reading:

Toucan: Is it because of the influence of your parents that you kept reading comics as you grew older?

Maggie: No, it was because comics kept being good. My interest in comics diminished until the EC line was in full flower and I bought MAD #9 off the newsstand.

- See more at: http://www.comic-con.org/toucan/maggie-thompson-four-color-life-part-one#sthash.KpKlVRKq.dpuf

Hey - that's so cool! Thanks for pointing that out Ed. A tiny piece of comic history here in one of my boxes. :cloud9:

Been wanting this issue in decent condition for a dozen years or so, and finally sprung for it (amazing the number of moths that flew out of my wallet...;) )

2mpbsqg.jpg

great cover!! I'm new to the EC world! I've always loved tales from the crypt and the horror genre and thanks to edowens71 I've started my ec collection!

so ill put this out there as a topic what is your favorite EC story? what book is it in.

dan

Been wanting this issue in decent condition for a dozen years or so, and finally sprung for it (amazing the number of moths that flew out of my wallet...;) )

great cover!! I'm new to the EC world! I've always loved tales from the crypt and the horror genre and thanks to edowens71 I've started my ec collection!

so ill put this out there as a topic what is your favorite EC story? what book is it in.

dan

Off the top of my head, Crime Suspenstories 17 is one of my favorite issues story-wise. "Touch and Go!" is a Bradbury adaptation, and it's one of Craig's best - he does a great job giving a window into the main character's descent into madness. You've also got "Fired!", the great Williamson and Frazetta team-up. Do not make that woman angry!

Finally, "One for the Money..." and "...Two for the Show!" are great because they tie into each other, which is a rarity for EC. You get used to (and expect) the twist at the end of each story, but I remember actually being surprised by the end of "Two" the first time I read it.

Plus it has a really great cover!

38fdefd253c16487f65cc4e651b49c1d_zps71f9c549.jpg

dan

Off the top of my head, Crime Suspenstories 17 is one of my favorite issues story-wise. "Touch and Go!" is a Bradbury adaptation, and it's one of Craig's best - he does a great job giving a window into the main character's descent into madness. You've also got "Fired!", the great Williamson and Frazetta team-up. Do not make that woman angry!

Finally, "One for the Money..." and "...Two for the Show!" are great because they tie into each other, which is a rarity for EC. You get used to (and expect) the twist at the end of each story, but I remember actually being surprised by the end of "Two" the first time I read it.

I've seen this on eBay and want it but my paypal is tapped :P

dan

I've seen this on eBay and want it but my paypal is tapped :P

Not that copy - it's mine and it's a keeper :)

dan

Given the wealth of EC story material, it's really hard to come up with just an individual one, but one of my favorites was entitled, "Success Story", in Tales From The Crypt 46, it's last issue.

BTW, an inexpensive way to read EC's can be done by simply buying the reprints, until you have the scratch to get the real deal. That way you'll know in advance of any issues you might really want the original of.

10f9blw.jpg

Here's the reprint; the issue was originally going to be entitled The Crypt Of Terror, as a fourth EC horror book, but the CCA rules denied any further horror content;

30hmv5s.jpg

dan

Given the wealth of EC story material, it's really hard to come up with just an individual one, but one of my favorites was entitled, "Success Story", in Tales From The Crypt 46, it's last issue.

BTW, an inexpensive way to read EC's can be done by simply buying the reprints, until you have the scratch to get the real deal. That way you'll know in advance of any issues you might really want the original of.

10f9blw.jpg

Here's the reprint; the issue was originally going to be entitled The Crypt Of Terror, as a fourth EC horror book, but the CCA rules denied any further horror content;

30hmv5s.jpg

Yeah I got this book! Haven't read it yet:(

And as to reprints...booooooo lets do the real thing!!

Also anyone can send me offers for EC books as long as they are raw and under $100 or so...

SDCC pick-up. Since this book is quite hot right now I went for this really well presenting 5.0 which has most of it's damage concentrated on the spine. I hope to upgrade along the way.

DSC_0009%20792x1280_zpshtrdkbvn.jpg

Are there EC collectors that would be interested in building a "Complete EC New Trend" registry set if one was created? If so, what would you all suggest as the set inventory? Specially I'm interested in what the cutoffs would be - are Crime Patrol 15 and 16 included for example? I'd love to get some feedback before reaching out to Gemma.

Terrific!!! :applause: I love Kurtzman's EC covers, especially the war ones.

Not the best pic. The colors are amazing on this copy. I don't know how I manage to take such bad pics of half of my books....

DSC_0004%20808x1280_zpshezvl87v.jpg

Terrific!!! :applause: I love Kurtzman's EC covers, especially the war ones.

Not the best pic. The colors are amazing on this copy. I don't know how I manage to take such bad pics of half of my books....

DSC_0004%20808x1280_zpshezvl87v.jpg

Thank you! (thumbs u I also like the war ones a lot, but they do not get much love. I have always considered the two war titles to be among the best EC titles.