• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,319 posts in this topic

Another great Evans cover...

pir7GFCa_zpsil6sob6m.jpg

Very cool! One of my favorite EC titles and my favorite cover of the run. I got my run all at one time with all the EC annuals (except TOT #1) from a guy's garage over 40 years ago for $100. He had complete EC runs but wouldn't break them up and all I had was $100. So that is what I took. I remember leaving a nice Subby #1 for $45. To get them. I saved up some more money for a month and went back but the guy was gone and that garage full of comics, pulps and mags were gone. Never found out what happened to the guy. I still have dreams about that garage...

Another great Evans cover...

pir7GFCa_zpsil6sob6m.jpg

Very cool! One of my favorite EC titles and my favorite cover of the run. I got my run all at one time with all the EC annuals (except TOT #1) from a guy's garage over 40 years ago for $100. He had complete EC runs but wouldn't break them up and all I had was $100. So that is what I took. I remember leaving a nice Subby #1 for $45. To get them. I saved up some more money for a month and went back but the guy was gone and that garage full of comics, pulps and mags were gone. Never found out what happened to the guy. I still have dreams about that garage...

I love hearing those kind of stories. Seems that magical garages like that just don't show up anymore. When I was a teen-ager, sometime in the late '70's, a friend of my step-father's brought over a box of silver age marvels that he collected when he was a kid. He told me, if I helped him sell some of them, he'd give me the Fantastic Fours he had.

Nothing was in exceptional grade, and most of the keys and first issues were missing, but there was a very beat but complete FF 1 and 2, and 7 through about 50 which started at about 3.0 and got progressively nicer up to about 7.0. I got those for free, after selling off everything else.

The 'everything else' included the first twenty X-Men in 3.0 and slightly better... ASM 7 through 35, some in nice mid grades... the first twenty Sgt. Fury's in mid grades... and a smattering of misc. early Avengers, and assorted odds and ends. Sold them to a local dealer, all the while wishing I could afford to just buy them at the same prices myself.

But at least I got all those FF's for free. They were all upgraded in the years that followed, but they formed the nucleus of my FF run, and were responsible for my introduction to, and interest in, the silver age Marvel Universe.

Great story! I'm sure your eyes bugged out when you looked through that box. It never gets old does it? The "garage" was mind blowing. It was just PACKED with paper of all kinds. I saw a ton of SA Marvel and DC. There were tons of nice GA as well but I was after ECs and he had 'em all. When I saw those, everything else was a blur. It's kind of funny how we realize how cheap that stuff was then. But, everything is realative and there was only so much a kid could make mowing lawns, paper route and turning in pop bottles. $100. Was a LOT of money to me then. I have picked a few good garages and basements over the years but this guy's load was incredible. I had always planned to go back but when I finally did, he and that incredible load of stuff was gone...

My first ECs came from a small pile my uncle gave me. Maybe 25 or 30 he had when he was a kid. I was hooked right away. My mom caught me with one of the horror books and tore it up. I stashed the rest in the tree house where she couldn't find them. I still have a few including his MAD #1 which I have upgraded but couldn't part with.

very cool!! have a copy of modern love 1? i have a 7.0 blue....

No, that is the only issue of Modern Love that I have a copy of. Congrats on the 7.0 copy of ML 1. Would love to see a scan.