• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage August Auction

301 posts in this topic

1930s comic strip OA really exploded in this auction. It seems like the secret is out. :pullhair:

The fabulous early Caniff Terry and the Pirates strips from 1935 almost all went for well above what previous strips from the 1930s have gone for. The prize of all the strips went for almost $4500. I had already unsuccessfully pushed it up into what was already well above record territory during internet bidding, but the live bidding left my fultile efforts in the dust.

The Alex Raymond Agent X-9 strips have been going for right around $3400 like clockwork, and then the strip in this auction went for almost $6000.

That x-9 was beautiful, but I too was surprised by the price.

I wonder who's buying and moving the prices up, these old strips are outside of the area of nostalgia of the age group where the money seems to be coming from.

1930s comic strip OA really exploded in this auction. It seems like the secret is out. :pullhair:

The fabulous early Caniff Terry and the Pirates strips from 1935 almost all went for well above what previous strips from the 1930s have gone for. The prize of all the strips went for almost $4500. I had already unsuccessfully pushed it up into what was already well above record territory during internet bidding, but the live bidding left my fultile efforts in the dust.

The Alex Raymond Agent X-9 strips have been going for right around $3400 like clockwork, and then the strip in this auction went for almost $6000.

I wonder who's buying and moving the prices up, these old strips are outside of the area of nostalgia of the age group where the money seems to be coming from.

There might be a new generation of collectors not influenced emotionally be nostalgia but maybe appreciating the throwback era of yore.

I like a lot of the EC stuff which was published before my birth.

You see that with music, where there's fans of kids who like their parents music, especially in the classic rock, album oriented rock and heavy metal genres.

I also think there's a lot of collector/investor hybrids out there who recognize opportunity for the "classics" and are tired of the modern releases with sometimes less substance and believe they'll appreciate in value for a longer term than yet another Harley Quinn, Deadpool or My Little Pony potential fad. A lot of people equate the age of a piece as vintage and prestige too, even though every piece is one of kind, so original art theoretically is on the same level of scarcity.

It seems that the published bronze age super hero pages are starting to surge, as how the silver age stuff had from just 10 years ago did. Who knows, maybe today's Zenescope covers are tomorrows grail pieces.

This is the most shocking result of the auction to me:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/illustrations/jim-starlin-and-joe-rubinstein-thanos-pinup-original-art-2012-1-/a/7097-93868.s

Getting Rubinstein to ink in some backgrounds seems to have added $3k to the value of the piece :o

And having Milgrom add backgrounds added $1k to this one:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/illustrations/jim-starlin-and-al-milgrom-adam-warlock-pinup-original-art-2007-/a/7097-93867.s

Does getting an inker to embellish a commission normally have this kind of effect on value? Or am I missing something here?

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/illustrations/jim-starlin-and-joe-rubinstein-thanos-pinup-original-art-2012-1-/a/7097-93868.s

Getting Rubinstein to ink in some backgrounds seems to have added $3k to the value of the piece :o

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/illustrations/jim-starlin-and-al-milgrom-adam-warlock-pinup-original-art-2007-/a/7097-93867.s

Does getting an inker to embellish a commission normally have this kind of effect on value? Or am I missing something here?

So these pieces sold in the recent past at auction but without the backgrounds? Is that where you are getting the $3k and $1k?

Do people really think this'll be anything less than 10K? It's a nice cover from over 30 years ago. Yes, Wrightson was at his height in the mid-70s, but is 1982 really a far cry from that? I'd say 15K solidly, maybe more.

Agree. I'll eat my shorts if this hammers under $15K.

Looks like you get to keep your shorts on. ;)

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/bernie-wrightson-twisted-tales-2-cover-original-art-pacific-comics-1983-/a/7097-92344.s

$26K is even higher than my estimate, but I'm not surprised. (thumbs u

How much does Jim Starlin charge for commissions now? Are they accessible or elusive?

It is surprising to see any commission piece by a living artist go for big dollars other than a few of the heavy hitters of today who navigate the convention circuit like Art Adams, Mark Brooks, J. Scott Campbell, Frank Cho, Adam Hughes and a few others who charge over $1k for commissions.

So these pieces sold in the recent past at auction but without the backgrounds? Is that where you are getting the $3k and $1k?

Based on auction sales as of late-2013, the most for a 11x14 inked full-figure Thanos by Starlin (no backgrounds) was $500. I know that Rubinstein PMs owners offering to add backgrounds, but I don't know what he charges.

Considering that the 11x14 Thanos piece on HA just sold for $3.6k, the $3k disparity is either due to the half-page backgrounds or Starlin Thanos prices suddenly septupling (shrug)

Similarly, a 11x14 inked full-figure Starlin Warlock was around $400, and the one on HA (with Milgrom backgrounds) just sold for $1.4k.

How much does Jim Starlin charge for commissions now? Are they accessible or elusive?

It is surprising to see any commission piece by a living artist go for big dollars other than a few of the heavy hitters of today who navigate the convention circuit like Art Adams, Mark Brooks, J. Scott Campbell, Frank Cho, Adam Hughes and a few others who charge over $1k for commissions.

I have no idea how much Starlin charges or the popularity of his commissions. Perhaps boardies who frequent cons can advise?

Yup that's why I found these HA sales so surprising, especially given that they're only 11x14, B&W and non-T&A.

At least from my HeroesCon experience this year, Jim brings a set # of inked convention sketches of Thanos, Warlock, etc. When they're gone, they're gone. They're usually gone pretty quick.

Not sure about separate commissions.

I honestly wish I knew, because it`s PO-ing me off!

The cool kids should be spending all their money on Watterson, McFarlane, Byrne, Lee, Miller, etc. from the 80s and 90s, and leave the old fogey comic strips that none of the other cool kids care about to us weirdo hopelessly uncool fringe collectors!

Yeah, newbs should keep off the old man's lawn rantrant

At least from my HeroesCon experience this year, Jim brings a set # of inked convention sketches of Thanos, Warlock, etc. When they're gone, they're gone. They're usually gone pretty quick.

Thanks for the update, any idea on how much Jim was charging?

Starlin Thanos art is going to be tough to find, and people are just now figuring that out. 10 or more years ago, Bill Woo and I and maybe 5 or so others were actively buying all of that run - so prices were high but not astronomical. Captain Marvel and Strange Tales covers were over 20K about 10 years ago, believe it or not, and even the Lim Surfer covers were 5-10K. Privately mostly, very little public. All cash. Now it's all locked away, although a good amount of the Lim covers are still not accounted for.

With the new found popularity, people are going to realize quickly that published pieces are mostly locked away and whatever is left is going to command a high price. It's about time this run got the respect of other key runs from the 70s. Over the years I ended up selling a bunch of it, but am now wishing I kept onto more. Thankfully, still have some. The prices on commissioned pieces is going to now reflect this shortage, in my opinion.

3 or 4 years back these were going for about $150. Some a little higher. They did go very fast.

Jim was charging $250 I believe. Buddy waited all day, but got his Thanos sketch.

I honestly wish I knew, because it`s PO-ing me off!

The cool kids should be spending all their money on Watterson, McFarlane, Byrne, Lee, Miller, etc. from the 80s and 90s, and leave the old fogey comic strips that none of the other cool kids care about to us weirdo hopelessly uncool fringe collectors!

Right!?

Starlin Thanos art is going to be tough to find, and people are just now figuring that out. 10 or more years ago, Bill Woo and I and maybe 5 or so others were actively buying all of that run - so prices were high but not astronomical. Captain Marvel and Strange Tales covers were over 20K about 10 years ago, believe it or not, and even the Lim Surfer covers were 5-10K. Privately mostly, very little public. All cash. Now it's all locked away, although a good amount of the Lim covers are still not accounted for.

With the new found popularity, people are going to realize quickly that published pieces are mostly locked away and whatever is left is going to command a high price. It's about time this run got the respect of other key runs from the 70s. Over the years I ended up selling a bunch of it, but am now wishing I kept onto more. Thankfully, still have some. The prices on commissioned pieces is going to now reflect this shortage, in my opinion.

Wow had no idea Lim SS covers were so high back then, was under the impression they were $3-5k until 2008 or so. I've had the good fortune of admiring a friend's Starlin Captain Marvel collection up close, and can see why they've always fetched high prices!

Wow had no idea Lim SS covers were so high back then, was under the impression they were $3-5k until 2008 or so. I've had the good fortune of admiring a friend's Starlin Captain Marvel collection up close, and can see why they've always fetched high prices!

Yup! Agree that some of the lesser covers were in that range, but the primo stuff was higher.

Well, another HA Signature auction has come and gone, and its always interesting to read other people's take on auction prices, which are almost exclusively focused on eye-popping prices.

This auction, I tracked nearly 500 lots, although very few strip art lots, and I saw lots of art at significant discounts. I won't post everything I thought to be underpriced, but here's a small sample:

-John Buscema Avengers 57 cover recreation = $4.5 Compared to prices realized for his other cover recreations, this went cheap, cheap, cheap

-Mike Collins X-Men 266p19 = 2.8K. I thought it would go for a lot more given the significance everyone places on Gambit's 1st appearance

-Frank Miller ASM Annual #15 (Punisher vs Spidey = $2.6K...somebody swung away with this page at half price!

-Luis Dominguez Ghosts #57 cover = $900

-Phil Jimenez Infinite Crisis DPS = $420. This DPS sets up the entire premise of this popular series!

-Don Heck Avengers pages = various prices, but all well below market.

On the flipside, I've read a lot of posts about the Starlin Thanos illo, the Sal Buscema Avengers cover, the John Buscema Spidey splash, but I haven't heard any talk about the prices for these panel pages:

-Mike Golden The 'Nam #8p4 = $5.4K

-Mike Golden The 'Nam #8p5 = $4.9K