• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage August Auction

301 posts in this topic

Well, another HA Signature auction has come and gone, and its always interesting to read other people's take on auction prices, which are almost exclusively focused on eye-popping prices.

This auction, I tracked nearly 500 lots, although very few strip art lots, and I saw lots of art at significant discounts. I won't post everything I thought to be underpriced, but here's a small sample:

-John Buscema Avengers 57 cover recreation = $4.5 Compared to prices realized for his other cover recreations, this went cheap, cheap, cheap

-Mike Collins X-Men 266p19 = 2.8K. I thought it would go for a lot more given the significance everyone places on Gambit's 1st appearance

-Frank Miller ASM Annual #15 (Punisher vs Spidey = $2.6K...somebody swung away with this page at half price!

-Luis Dominguez Ghosts #57 cover = $900

-Phil Jimenez Infinite Crisis DPS = $420. This DPS sets up the entire premise of this popular series!

-Don Heck Avengers pages = various prices, but all well below market.

On the flipside, I've read a lot of posts about the Starlin Thanos illo, the Sal Buscema Avengers cover, the John Buscema Spidey splash, but I haven't heard any talk about the prices for these panel pages:

-Mike Golden The 'Nam #8p4 = $5.4K

-Mike Golden The 'Nam #8p5 = $4.9K

Page 5 was exceptional. I was tracking that one and would love to have it in my collection, but at $5K there are other things I'd rather have.

I thought the heck avengers pages did well, I still think they are undervalued though.

I thought the Heck Avengers pages were in the reasonable range give or take and and actually a bit higher than a number of similar Heck Avengers pages I have seen sold this year.

The Michael Golden market has always had strong fans, so I'm only a bit surprised at those prices. His body of work is relatively small, like Steranko, and so I expect his prices to continue to climb.

Count be as a big Golden fan. I was also surprised at those values, but THE 'NAM is considered one of Golden's career highlights, and that's arguably the best story from his run.

I'm perhaps a little less sanguine about his market, though. Stylistically, he was hugely influential. But I wouldn't put him in the same category, in terms of impact on the medium, as Steranko. So I'm not sure about the sustainability of his market. As a fan, I certainly hope his appeal will endure...time will tell.

The Michael Golden market has always had strong fans, so I'm only a bit surprised at those prices. His body of work is relatively small, like Steranko, and so I expect his prices to continue to climb.

Count be as a big Golden fan. I was also surprised at those values, but THE 'NAM is considered one of Golden's career highlights, and that's arguably the best story from his run.

I'm perhaps a little less sanguine about his market, though. Stylistically, he was hugely influential. But I wouldn't put him in the same category, in terms of impact on the medium, as Steranko. So I'm not sure about the sustainability of his market. As a fan, I certainly hope his appeal will endure...time will tell.

Spot on analysis.

Scott

The ComicLink auction starting on August 28th has 2 Steranko pieces, and looks to have some pretty nice stuff. Here's links to the Steranko pieces:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview.asp%3Fcode%3D2014aug%26itemtype%3D1%26pg%3D3%23Item_1022307&id=1022307

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview.asp%3Fcode%3D2014aug%26itemtype%3D1%26pg%3D5%23Item_1022012&id=1022012

Well, another HA Signature auction has come and gone, and its always interesting to read other people's take on auction prices, which are almost exclusively focused on eye-popping prices.

This auction, I tracked nearly 500 lots, although very few strip art lots, and I saw lots of art at significant discounts. I won't post everything I thought to be underpriced, but here's a small sample:

-Mike Collins X-Men 266p19 = 2.8K. I thought it would go for a lot more given the significance everyone places on Gambit's 1st appearance

-Frank Miller ASM Annual #15 (Punisher vs Spidey = $2.6K...somebody swung away with this page at half price!

I agree with these two I had my eye on, but wasn't intrigued enough to pull the trigger and get into bidding wars and the buyers premiums involved. I thought there were a few other good deals that seemed under priced to my perception.

Frank Miller ASM Annual #15 That Frank Miller work from Amazing Spider-Man Annual #15 with Klaus Janson inks is from the pinnacle era of his artwork. If I had a time machine I may go back and bid on that (but also know that the final price doesn't necessarily mean it could have been purchased for the next bid price, and often times that's what starts the bidding war and prices to go sky high... it takes two to tango)

Mike Collins X-Men 266p19 To get 1st Appearance (even if not the 1st panel, just from the 1st App issue) of a major character is "grail worthy." - I'm not a huge Gambit fan 'tho, nor of Collins art, so that kept me from participating

The other auctioned items that I thought were pretty good deals in the Heritage Auction were:

Don Heck and Mike Esposito Iron Man #36 Page 9 Original Art (Marvel, 1971) - under $1k, with great dialogue

Graham Ingels Vault of Horror #31 "One Good Turn..." Page 7 Original Art (EC, 1953) - just over $2.5k and EC "end page" which is always nice to have the twisted ending and reveal

Marshall Rogers and Keith Williams Spider-Man #27 Splash Page 2 Original Art (Marvel, 1992) - for $1,800. I think Marshall Rogers is under-rated in terms of value and hobby value recognition to a degree ('tho his Detective and Dr. Strange work commands good dollar, most of his other work is nicely affordable)

The only one page I thought went for higher than I'd speculated and wanted was the Lot

92178 X-Men #16 Sentinel's page for, I think over $19k, w/o any major hero character panels, 'tho a half splash, but great dialogue.

Jack Kirby, Werner Roth, and Ayers X-Men #16 Page 6 Original Art (Marvel, 1966)

I remember years ago when pages from X-Men #1 were selling for below $20k on Heritage.

I thoguht the heck avengers pages and the werner roth xmen pages went well over market value...not sure where some people are getting their information from? didnt one roth xmen page hit 7k? YIKES! thats a record! Incidentally..i sold the asm 78 splash privately 1-2 years ago for way less than half what it sold for at auction...so that shocked the hell outta me...but it just goes to show you...A great artist and great image of a great character do have their pluses. (also...the asm 78 splash...not a bad 40 dollar investment back in 1990) :)

I'm surprised no one mentioned a few more pieces that went cheap..... the gil kane MTU 30 cover for 8k plus bp was super cheap i felt...and some of the kirby marvel pages went below market value. I thought the ditko asm page would go for more also..simply because it has doc ock on it.

I thoguht the heck avengers pages and the werner roth xmen pages went well over market value...not sure where some people are getting their information from? didnt one roth xmen page hit 7k? YIKES! thats a record! Incidentally..i sold the asm 78 splash privately 1-2 years ago for way less than half what it sold for at auction...so that shocked the hell outta me...but it just goes to show you...A great artist and great image of a great character do have their pluses. (also...the asm 78 splash...not a bad 40 dollar investment back in 1990) :)

Per my earlier post, I agree that the Heck Avengers pages, while in the general vicinity, still went somewhat higher than a number (at least 5 I can think of off the top of my head) of Heck Avengers pages from the same period sold this year.

I'm surprised no one mentioned a few more pieces that went cheap..... the gil kane MTU 30 cover for 8k plus bp was super cheap i felt...and some of the kirby marvel pages went below market value. I thought the ditko asm page would go for more also..simply because it has doc ock on it.

There always seems to be some Kirby that slips through under market, I think that has to do with there always being a good amount in any given auction and there just not enough collectors to catch them all.

The only one page I thought went for higher than I'd speculated and wanted was the Lot

92178 X-Men #16 Sentinel's page for, I think over $19k, w/o any major hero character panels, 'tho a half splash, but great dialogue.

Jack Kirby, Werner Roth, and Ayers X-Men #16 Page 6 Original Art (Marvel, 1966)

I remember years ago when pages from X-Men #1 were selling for below $20k on Heritage.

That was a crazy high price. A very similar Sentinels page, arguably better, X-men 15 page 8, went for 5K less than a year ago, and that's in line with other pages from the Kirby/Roth period of X-men.

Hi, Mike:

Yes, there were numerous lots that went under market, just too many to list here. And I agree the MTU 30 cover was a very good buy at that price.