• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage August Auction

301 posts in this topic

An "origin" which has now been retconned out of existence, if I'm not mistaken.

So many key events in comic history have been retconned out of existence, especially in the past 15 years. Most vintage OA collectors I know haven't read mainstream Marvel & DC titles for years or take anything that happens in them seriously. If Wolvie's dead, Thor's a girl, Norm Osborn is making babies with Gwen Stacy, it's pretty much all just What If?/Elseworlds fodder for our generation of readers/collectors.

Of course you can :) I prefer auction format for something that is one of a kind. If I buy it off CAF I'm paying the seller's ask (or a modification of it) meaning that I have no idea what the market thinks its worth, just what I'm paying (which also means I might be overpaying by a ridiculous amount) Just what works for me and keeps me happy. Now of course I have about 5 cover pieces that I want eventually and I'm going to have to go through a broker to get because I never see pages from this come up let alone covers. That's when I'll go to CAF/broker to get those pieces but not ready for it yet (still hoping they come up in auction)

Fantastic Four #286 cover

$38,837.50

Nope was the under bidder.

I got something at SDCC which eclipses this cover so didn't go crazy for it. I also got one of the best interior pages from FF 286 earlier this year from the same seller. So I am content.

Congrats to the winner.

32.5K FF 286

Brian?

Wow, that is a lot lower than I thought it would go for, which I can only attribute to people (including myself) who purposely backed off so Brian could win it. I hope he pulled it off. :wishluck:

Fantastic Four #286 cover

$38,837.50

Nope was the under bidder.

I got something at SDCC which eclipses this cover so didn't go crazy for it. I also got one of the best interior pages from FF 286 earlier this year from the same seller. So I am content.

Congrats to the winner.

Now I'm curious what you landed at SDCC which you thought was better

32.5K FF 286

Brian?

More like 42K with vig. I was expecting more.

$38.8K including the vig. I thought it had a shot at $60K myself. Don't know if it was the Good Samaritan Effect (people backing off for Brian) or if it just is what it is. This market can be very hit or miss - while there aren't a lot of pieces selling "cheap", it's very hard to tell when something is going to sell for a "normal" price vs. an insane price (like the KJ page, Sal B Avengers cover, etc.)

32.5K FF 286

Brian?

$38.8K including the vig. I thought it had a shot at $60K myself. Don't know if it was the Good Samaritan Effect (people backing off for Brian) or if it just is what it is. This market can be very hit or miss - while there aren't a lot of pieces selling "cheap", it's very hard to tell when something is going to sell for a "normal" price vs. an insane price (like the KJ page, Sal B Avengers cover, etc.)

FWIW the market has never looked favorably upon pieces that feature the backs of the main characters heads. Obviously Brian backing out early and others backing off didn't help either.

FWIW the market has never looked favorably upon pieces that feature the backs of the main characters heads. Obviously Brian backing out early and others backing off didn't help either.

Yeah, that's a big turn-off for me, though I can also point to examples where that doesn't seem to have hurt the price (like that Kirby X-Men #9 page that sold at HA in 2012).

I'm with jesusjon on this. That page is the "origin" of Oracle. Great piece. Wish I could have made a serious run at it :(

Clearly, two other people valued it much more than I do. Another interesting point: This page was readily available for months on CAF. I've been told there are deep-pocketed players who don't really follow the hobby on a day-to-day basis (inconceivable to those of us obsessed with this stuff) and only emerge at auction time. Anyway, that's apparently true.

Happen to know what the ask was when it was available on CAF?

Killing Joke page went for $107,550.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Insane!

Interesting for a couple of reasons:

1. Not the best page in KJ.

2. "Fresh-to-market" doesn't mean what it used to.

Yeah this is much more than I would have predicted but the counter point on it not being amongst the best KJ pages is that it's an "important" page.

Never would have pegged it as a six-figure page. Amongst friends, I've always said that if any '80s DC panel page would break six-figures, it'd be this one:

batman-thekillingjoke33.jpg

What's this page "worth" now?

Funny - just had a conversation recently about which whether or not that page might actually out-perform the KJ cover at auction. It was a split decision.

Funny - just had a conversation recently about which whether or not that page might actually out-perform the KJ cover at auction. It was a split decision.

Personally, I take the page over the cover.

I'm with jesusjon on this. That page is the "origin" of Oracle. Great piece. Wish I could have made a serious run at it :(

Clearly, two other people valued it much more than I do. Another interesting point: This page was readily available for months on CAF. I've been told there are deep-pocketed players who don't really follow the hobby on a day-to-day basis (inconceivable to those of us obsessed with this stuff) and only emerge at auction time. Anyway, that's apparently true.

Happen to know what the ask was when it was available on CAF?

It was moved a couple of times in the last year (prior to HA). From a private collector to a CAFer then to another CAFer. On the second deal, heard it was cash/trade deal on the lower end of mid-five figures. Was available for offers for a good bit of time.

32.5K FF 286

Brian?

I thought it would reach $35K and it's not a great image. There are many better Byrne FF covers.

Killing Joke page went for $107,550.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Insane!

Interesting for a couple of reasons:

1. Not the best page in KJ.

2. "Fresh-to-market" doesn't mean what it used to.

Yeah this is much more than I would have predicted but the counter point on it not being amongst the best KJ pages is that it's an "important" page.

I also don't think that everybody heard about the private sale the 1st time around. Or, even if they did, it's not the same as seeing the image in a Heritage catalog and in a big can online with people talking about it. Also, with a piece like this being sold in a private sale, there's not much price discovery and transparency that emboldens people to bid as aggressively as in a public auction format where you can see other bidders competing against you and theoretically providing you with an underbid cover. Few would have guessed this was a 6-figure piece without it going to the auction block and price discovery taking it there. 2c

What I hope this represents is an end to the "fresh-to-market" phenomenon. A phenomenon that I acknowledge exists, but also view as silly. Quality art is quality art, whether it's been seen by the public or not.

To your other point...if someone needs an underbidder to drive the price to over 2X at auction over what the piece could have been had for privately, in order to be confident in their buy...then we have more dummies in this hobby than I realized.

Many know I have been trying to complete the book for over 20 years. While I would have loved to win the cover I have some of the best interior pages. It was the image of Jean that was the strong point for me. Yes I agree there are better Byrne FF covers, FF 244 would be my choice of the best image for me. The backs of the heads and the weird arm placement for she hulk which detract from the image.

As for the I item that eclipsed the FF 286 cover which I got at SDCC. I am getting the complete interiors to How to Draw the Marvel Way by Big a John Buscema. This includes prelim for the cover. also includes nova #12 cover, published inks plus separate full pencils and other rough prelims as seems in the book. They gems are the chapters titles all in full pencils.

Very cool Jack Davis VOH #28 splash page went for $6,572.50 with BP. Classic EC splashes like this look like a steal compared to some of the results.

Very good price for a cool splash. EC splashes and pages represent such good values compared to the covers. It's especially stark here, imo.

Believe this was with a couple of dealers the last few years in the low five figure range. Unfortunately, looks like someone may have taken a hit. But a very nice pickup for the buyer.

And the cover I have been after for years, Fantastic Four #286 Return of Jean Grey.

Yes, I will be going after it hard.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/john-byrne-and-terry-austin-fantastic-four-286-cover-original-art-cover-marvel-1985-/p/7097-144002.s

FF286_cvr.jpg

Congrats on your SDCC haul (if I read your posting correctly, it's also the actual Nova #12 cover, not a prelim--very cool).

But I think a number of people took your posting seriously and at face value and back-offed off from bidding on the FF cover (I know at least three people who did). Not necessarily saying it would have changed the final price, but after posting so strongly publicly with the above, don't you think you should have told people publicly that you changed your mind? Just my 2c