• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage August Auction

301 posts in this topic

> I never said I changed my mind about the cover. I was the under bidder my

> top bid was just effected by my big purchase at SDCC.

But changing your max intended bid _is_ changing your mind. It changed from going for the piece hard to wanting it at a reasonable (for today's market) price.

You were doomed to take a hit as soon as you made your public pronouncement, it just ended being on credibility instead of the wallet.

Its all in the way you look at it. I went hard after the cover, that is the most I have ever bid on a single piece and almost twice what I have ever paid for a piece of art. Some people look at $35K-$40K cheap and reasonable, others look at it as alot $$$ or crazy. HA estimated it at $25K and others thought it could do $60K.

It ended up being me and one other bidder, who knows what he/she would have gone up to. The nature of auctions.

For those who follow: any big surprises on the Jim Lee pieces?

I follow it pretty close! lol

Everything went pretty much as expected except for the Hush pencil splash page which went for much less than expected. Honestly, if I had been prepared I would have considered buying it at the hammer price.

The Xmen pages went fairly cheap too, but they weren't great pages. Everything else was pretty solid and pretty much on target.

Scott

This had nothing to do with best page and all to do with a pivotal moment in DC/Batgirl history. Not exactly a first appearance but very infamous scene. It is the biggest scene of the whole story for many.

The origin of the Joker is also important, I think ....

This is a very important page. Second best page in terms of "historic importance" (joker half-splash first appearance takes the prize), but probably 10th best or so in order of most coveted by most collectors based on content and aesthetics, probably. That being said, this is a high price, but not unreasonable considering where DK and WM have gone. KJ was always double the price of those historically, so it only makes sense that it finally took a jump/leap forward.

Everything went pretty much as expected except for the Hush pencil splash page which went for much less than expected. Honestly, if I had been prepared I would have considered buying it at the hammer price.

I can just see you waking up one morning before your coffee and accidentally starting to ink it

The funny part of it, I was also pulling for Brian to win it (and I don't even know Brian!) but I thought for a guy that wants a cover that much, not only am I not going to bid, but I am going to root for him (absent other facts like a buddy wanting it equally as much).

This is why you should bid for things you want. Period. I've been in too many situations where people's eyes are bigger than their stomachs (or desires are bigger than their wallets) and what they say they can do and what they actually do are entirely different things. This is not necessarily directed at Brian, but at other deals/auctions I've encountered over the years. At the end of the day, whoever wants it most wins it - it is fairer for both buyer and seller. This auction solidified that in my mind. Now, for truly great friends who I know what their max bid is, I will step aside up to that max bid, but after that price there's no holds barred.

Congrats to the winner. I too like the cover, but obviously have spent a hell of a lot this year already so logic thankfully prevailed over passion.

John Buscema and Jim Mooney Amazing Spider-Man #78 Splash Page 1

$65,725.00 (BP)

Given what it sold for when it auctioned on CLINK, I would say that was a pretty decent flip for who ever bought it. It was a spectacular splash.

The funny part of it, I was also pulling for Brian to win it (and I don't even know Brian!) but I thought for a guy that wants a cover that much, not only am I not going to bid, but I am going to root for him (absent other facts like a buddy wanting it equally as much).

This is why you should bid for things you want. Period. I've been in too many situations where people's eyes are bigger than their stomachs (or desires are bigger than their wallets) and what they say they can do and what they actually do are entirely different things. This is not necessarily directed at Brian, but at other deals/auctions I've encountered over the years. At the end of the day, whoever wants it most wins it - it is fairer for both buyer and seller. This auction solidified that in my mind. Now, for truly great friends who I know what their max bid is, I will step aside up to that max bid, but after that price there's no holds barred.

Congrats to the winner. I too like the cover, but obviously have spent a hell of a lot this year already so logic thankfully prevailed over passion.

Yes its very frustrating in any auction situation, art or otherwise, when you back off on something for someone else's benefit only to have them lose the auction when you would have bid much higher than them. Not directed at Brian either, just a fact.

At the end of the day, whoever wants it most wins it - it is fairer for both buyer and seller. This auction solidified that in my mind. Now, for truly great friends who I know what their max bid is, I will step aside up to that max bid, but after that price there's no holds barred.

Well said

Interesting auction - more stuff went higher than my estimates than lower - especially the cream

Today I didn't buy anything but I did sell 2 pieces I dropped off at Wondercon with Heritage after offering them on CAF etc - one went for my CAF BIN ask, the other ~ 35% over my BIN...so I feel Heritage does make some folk more comfortable ponying up and/or offering incremental buyer pool vs. CAF.

Our hobby, like other one of kind pursuits, makes valuation difficult but if you learn your markets you can make some good bets. That said, if you don't have the time to get educated, I understand it is simpler to buy at auction.

Mark

P.S. I had one case where I sold a Wrightson splash that eventually sold at Heritage for significantly less - it was an especially tough to value page

MSH #18 page 1 (Colan- 1st GOTG)

$14,340 (with BP)

Wow

That's what you call a well-timed sale.

That price was crazy (mainly because it priced me out). I figured it would go for $2k tops. I traded my 3 pages too soon. :P , but I can't complain I used them towards my MP 4 cover. I didn't think movie hype affected art prices like that. The Star-lord splash page seemed a bit high as well but I can understand with it being Bryne and Austin

I disagree that everything GOTG is white hot now. The movie is affecting the old team- but in key instances. The splash was a lot of lettering (and not Colan's best work) but the first page from the first appearance, so historic nonetheless.

2-3 years ago that was a 800.00 page.

Bad auction for me. Piece I really wanted was near the end, so I didn't go hard for some other pieces in the auction that went for reasonable prices. Then got blown out on the strip I really wanted. Feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football.

John Buscema and Jim Mooney Amazing Spider-Man #78 Splash Page 1

$65,725.00 (BP)

Given what it sold for when it auctioned on CLINK, I would say that was a pretty decent flip for who ever bought it. It was a spectacular splash.

This page has never sold in a ComicLink auction.

Bad auction for me. Piece I really wanted was near the end, so I didn't go hard for some other pieces in the auction that went for reasonable prices. Then got blown out on the strip I really wanted. Feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football.

Was it the Wally Wood Dr Doom panel page? That thing went bananas!

Was it the Wally Wood Dr Doom panel page? That thing went bananas!

No, wanted one of the Bill Watterson strips. First one was reasonable and gave me hope that I could get the second strip (the one I wanted). Second one went nuts. I liked the third one the least but kind of went after it bc that was my only option.