• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage August Auction

301 posts in this topic

Interesting auction - more stuff went higher than my estimates than lower - especially the cream

Today I didn't buy anything but I did sell 2 pieces I dropped off at Wondercon with Heritage after offering them on CAF etc - one went for my CAF BIN ask, the other ~ 35% over my BIN...so I feel Heritage does make some folk more comfortable ponying up and/or offering incremental buyer pool vs. CAF.

Our hobby, like other one of kind pursuits, makes valuation difficult but if you learn your markets you can make some good bets. That said, if you don't have the time to get educated, I understand it is simpler to buy at auction.

Mark

P.S. I had one case where I sold a Wrightson splash that eventually sold at Heritage for significantly less - it was an especially tough to value page

Good point. You'd better sell me your Freak Show splash before you lose money... :baiting:

An "origin" which has now been retconned out of existence, if I'm not mistaken.

Actually, Batgirl's crippled fate in KJ still is canon in DC's Nu52 continuity. And it's Joker's Killing Joke origin that's been "retconned" and no longer canon in the Nu52. Peace.

John Buscema and Jim Mooney Amazing Spider-Man #78 Splash Page 1

$65,725.00 (BP)

Given what it sold for when it auctioned on CLINK, I would say that was a pretty decent flip for who ever bought it. It was a spectacular splash.

This page has never sold in a ComicLink auction.

I don't remember seeing a reserve on it (shrug)

was there one?

Actually, Batgirl's crippled fate in KJ still is canon in DC's Nu52 continuity. And it's Joker's Killing Joke origin that's been "retconned" and no longer canon in the Nu52. Peace.

Joker has had more origins than any other comic book character

It seems like we've had more and more cases of "early price discovery" go on at Heritage.... with crickets chirping for certain high profile lots during the live auction. For all we know, the final bids on those items have already been placed.

And then again, maybe not. :baiting:

Perhaps the discussions on these boards made collectors realize just how dumb the idea of early price discovery really is. :whistle:

Killing Joke page went for $107,550.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Insane!

Interesting for a couple of reasons:

1. Not the best page in KJ.

2. "Fresh-to-market" doesn't mean what it used to.

Yeah this is much more than I would have predicted but the counter point on it not being amongst the best KJ pages is that it's an "important" page.

Never would have pegged it as a six-figure page. Amongst friends, I've always said that if any '80s DC panel page would break six-figures, it'd be this one:

batman-thekillingjoke33.jpg

What's this page "worth" now?

$100K is the new $10K. I can totally understand why the shooting page was highly coveted.

What that means is that the iconic maniacal laughing page is worth a lot more than $100K.

So many key events in comic history have been retconned out of existence, especially in the past 15 years. Most vintage OA collectors I know haven't read mainstream Marvel & DC titles for years or take anything that happens in them seriously. If Wolvie's dead, Thor's a girl, Norm Osborn is making babies with Gwen Stacy, it's pretty much all just What If?/Elseworlds fodder for our generation of readers/collectors.

:applause:

1930s comic strip OA really exploded in this auction. It seems like the secret is out. :pullhair:

The fabulous early Caniff Terry and the Pirates strips from 1935 almost all went for well above what previous strips from the 1930s have gone for. The prize of all the strips went for almost $4500. I had already unsuccessfully pushed it up into what was already well above record territory during internet bidding, but the live bidding left my fultile efforts in the dust.

The Alex Raymond Agent X-9 strips have been going for right around $3400 like clockwork, and then the strip in this auction went for almost $6000.

$65,725.00 (BP)

Given what it sold for when it auctioned on CLINK, I would say that was a pretty decent flip for who ever bought it. It was a spectacular splash.

was there one?

No, it wasn't offered in a ComicLink auction at all.... At least since 2007

Could it have been a ComicConnect auction?

1930s comic strip OA really exploded in this auction. It seems like the secret is out. :pullhair:

The fabulous early Caniff Terry and the Pirates strips from 1935 almost all went for well above what previous strips from the 1930s have gone for. The prize of all the strips went for almost $4500. I had already unsuccessfully pushed it up into what was already well above record territory during internet bidding, but the live bidding left my fultile efforts in the dust.

The Alex Raymond Agent X-9 strips have been going for right around $3400 like clockwork, and then the strip in this auction went for almost $6000.

That x-9 was beautiful, but I too was surprised by the price.

A piece that I sold with Comic Connect in December went for more than double in this sale....I was very surprised and even after all buyer/seller fees, the piece went for $1000 more. It seems Heritage attracts a wider audience?

$65,725.00 (BP)

was there one?

It was Comiclink. Went for just under $30k

It seems like we've had more and more cases of "early price discovery" go on at Heritage.... with crickets chirping for certain high profile lots during the live auction. For all we know, the final bids on those items have already been placed.

And then again, maybe not. :baiting:

Perhaps the discussions on these boards made collectors realize just how dumb the idea of early price discovery really is. :whistle:

The KJ page and the Miller PPSS cover ran in the live session, but there wasn't much bidding activity for the FF 286 cover, the Sal B. Avengers cover, the Ingels HoF cover or the BWS Conan cover beyond the Internet session. I wouldn't doubt that some parties might have gleaned some valuable information from the early bidding as to how best to allocate their fixed/limited resources as it was well established in the Internet session that several pieces were going to sell for beyond the consensus expectations. For the record, I was not interested in any of those pieces and played no role in jacking up those prices.

Early price discovery does not mean that it is always beneficial to bid early and often. It just means that there are very clear and specific circumstances where it may be beneficial to accelerate price discovery, such as in a situation where you have a fixed budget and are allocating resources among multiple targets. On the other hand, if you have one target and a fixed budget, or have one or more targets and an unlimited budget, it will not behoove you to tip your hand. You know, just your basic Bayesian probability and game theory. :makepoint:

Killing Joke page went for $107,550.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Insane!

Interesting for a couple of reasons:

1. Not the best page in KJ.

2. "Fresh-to-market" doesn't mean what it used to.

Yeah this is much more than I would have predicted but the counter point on it not being amongst the best KJ pages is that it's an "important" page.

Never would have pegged it as a six-figure page. Amongst friends, I've always said that if any '80s DC panel page would break six-figures, it'd be this one:

batman-thekillingjoke33.jpg

What's this page "worth" now?

$100K is the new $10K. I can totally understand why the shooting page was highly coveted.

What that means is that the iconic maniacal laughing page is worth a lot more than $100K.

Unfortunately, I think this is true. There hasn't been a public auction of KJ in a while, and certainly not since prices went bonkers. Now we have one.

$65,725.00 (BP)

was there one?

Just to chime in here for clarity sake, Comixcroz is correct. ComicLink has never sold or offered the ASM #78 splash - I think I would remember that one... :)

Perhaps baman_fan is thinking of the #69 splash? We sold that "way back" (by art market standards at least) in 2011 for $30k.

I personally think the Bolland page will fetch close or more than 100K

Screw it, I'll eat two pairs of shorts if that happens

Looks like you're eating 2 pairs of shorts :)

I don't even collect OA anymore and I knew that would fetch 6 figures!

This page was a total game changer for the DCU. That's why I set it at 100K

$65,725.00 (BP)

was there one?

Just to chime in here for clarity sake, Comixcroz is correct. ComicLink has never sold or offered the ASM #78 splash - I think I would remember that one... :)

Perhaps baman_fan is thinking of the #69 splash? We sold that "way back" (by art market standards at least) in 2011 for $30k.

No,it was auctioned on CLINK. There is a reason why I remember this one very distinctly. Also know the final hammer was less than $30k.