• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage August Auction

301 posts in this topic

Killing Joke page went for $107,550.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Insane!

Interesting for a couple of reasons:

1. Not the best page in KJ.

2. "Fresh-to-market" doesn't mean what it used to.

Insane!

Yeah this is much more than I would have predicted but the counter point on it not being amongst the best KJ pages is that it's an "important" page.

This had nothing to do with best page and all to do with a pivotal moment in DC/Batgirl history. Not exactly a first appearance but very infamous scene. It is the biggest scene of the whole story for many.

Wonder what Big John would think of this. Spider-man was the character he liked the least. He never understood his appeal. But that didn't stop him from doing some fantastic work on the series.

I'd call this a Mooney page, & in my opinion the price must have been driven entirely by the huge Spidey figure/ silver age time frame.

Insane!

Yeah this is much more than I would have predicted but the counter point on it not being amongst the best KJ pages is that it's an "important" page.

Never would have pegged it as a six-figure page. Amongst friends, I've always said that if any '80s DC panel page would break six-figures, it'd be this one:

batman-thekillingjoke33.jpg

What's this page "worth" now?

I'm with jesusjon on this. That page is the "origin" of Oracle. Great piece. Wish I could have made a serious run at it :(

An "origin" which has now been retconned out of existence, if I'm not mistaken.

Clearly, two other people valued it much more than I do. Another interesting point: This page was readily available for months on CAF. I've been told there are deep-pocketed players who don't really follow the hobby on a day-to-day basis (inconceivable to those of us obsessed with this stuff) and only emerge at auction time. Anyway, that's apparently true.

John Buscema Avengers #57 Cover Recreation

$4,481.25 (BP)

I know its a recreation but with the new movie and it being in his top 10 covers. Not a bad price. The published cover would have been in the 6 figures

$4,481.25 (BP)

I know its a recreation but with the new movie and it being in his top 10 covers. Not a bad price. The published cover would have been in the 6 figures

Very much agreed. For the price of the SB avengers cover I can only imagine what the original 57 would go for. Dare I say 200k. It is one of the most popular covers of all time.

I'm with jesusjon on this. That page is the "origin" of Oracle. Great piece. Wish I could have made a serious run at it :(

An "origin" which has now been retconned out of existence, if I'm not mistaken.

Clearly, two other people valued it much more than I do. Another interesting point: This page was readily available for months on CAF. I've been told there are deep-pocketed players who don't really follow the hobby on a day-to-day basis (inconceivable to those of us obsessed with this stuff) and only emerge at auction time. Anyway, that's apparently true.

I own 4 and 5 figure pieces and only buy off HA auctions. I don't do CAF. Doubt that you would consider me deep-pockets but there are people out there who don't venture to CAF

$4,481.25 (BP)

That went dirt cheap in comparison to other Buscema recreations!

Insane!

I also don't think that everybody heard about the private sale the 1st time around. Or, even if they did, it's not the same as seeing the image in a Heritage catalog and in a big scan online with people talking about it. Also, with a piece like this being sold in a private sale, there's not much price discovery and transparency that emboldens people to bid as aggressively as in a public auction format where you can see other bidders competing against you and theoretically providing you with an underbid cover. Few would have guessed this was a 6-figure piece without it going to the auction block and price discovery taking it there. 2c