• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Doctor Strange Movie Thread

1,320 posts in this topic

Swinton is a skilled actress with great chops and critics love her. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Very skilled.

However, the key word in the above first sentence is actress.

If Marvel was doing Shakespeare they would make Hamlet black, Macbeth a woman and Othello white. doh!

Swinton is a skilled actress with great chops and critics love her. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Very skilled.

If Marvel was doing Shakespeare they would make Hamlet black, Macbeth a woman and Othello white. doh!

I would write a diatribe about how this type of hyperbole is unfounded and actually works to the detriment of your point and makes you sound like a .......but I suspect you know what and why you feel the way you do, and are in acceptance of that.

And seriously, its just a movie about a comic book sorcerer with a cape and a mustache (and possibly a *gasp* woman as a mentor) who lives the Village. I can't throw a rock in the Village on Friday nights without hitting a someone with a mustache and a cape.

Very skilled.

Or have all the female roles being played by men - just like they did in the days of Shakespeare? :eyeroll:

Very skilled.

I would write a diatribe about how this type of hyperbole is unfounded and actually works to the detriment of your point and makes you sound like a .......but I suspect you know what and why you feel the way you do, and are in acceptance of that.

And seriously, its just a movie about a comic book sorcerer with a cape and a mustache (and possibly a *gasp* woman as a mentor) who lives the Village. I can't throw a rock in the Village on Friday nights without hitting a someone with a mustache and a cape.

Yeah, ok.

P.S. Thanks for not writing the diatribe. Much appreciated.

Edited by marvelcollector

Tilda Sinton IS an odd choice. The Ancient One is an old Asian dude. White women are represented more in the MCU than Asians, tbh. I don't really have a problem with it, but it's a head-scratcher.

Tilda Sinton IS an odd choice. The Ancient One is an old Asian dude. White women are represented more in the MCU than Asians, tbh. I don't really have a problem with it, but it's a head-scratcher.

It's a dumb choice made for PC reasons (again).

She's a terrific actress but I agree, the Eastern mysticism that Strange learned was taught by an old Asian dude. And back then there were only old Asian dudes teaching it. That's just a fact of history. I hate it when someone rewrites history.

It's probably going to be a good movie but stuff like this does irk me. I'm a purist, sue me.

She was an amazing androgynous Gabriel in Constantine. I wouldn't be surprised if they cast her in a similar role for the Ancient One. Hope Clea has the purple cross-hatched tights and the silver shag so you purists can be happy about something!

Absolutely loved her in Constantine. That said, lol at this garbage. Role should be played by an old asian guy.

Here we go again - but I TOTALLY agree. Maybe she'll play an androgynous Asian dude. That would be horribly racist, sexist and awesome! Little pencil thin fu man chu...

I don't see what the big deal is.

Because the West hasn't been exposed to many Eastern Women Mystics doesn't mean they don't exist.

It's a stereotype that Eastern Mystics are all males.

A quick Google search turned up the following:

Rabi'a al-Adawiyya "Rabi'a Basri" an 8th-century Muslim Sufi saint and a major spiritual influence in the classical Islamic world.

Helena Blavatsky the founder of the Theosophical Movement.

Mirra Alfasa "The Mother" the Mother of the Sri Aurobindo Ashram, who wrote a famous 17-volume set of Collected Works consisting of nine volumes of talks and eight volumes of writings (prayers, reflections, essays, sayings, letters and personal notes).

Alexandra David-Néel an explorer, spiritualist, Buddhist, anarchist and writer, she is most known for her 1924 visit to Lhasa, Tibet when it was forbidden to foreigners.

Sera Khandro a Tibetan Buddhist teacher and mystic.

"Tibetan Buddhism is a religious tradition often seen as dominated by men. Great female teachers have appeared, but have produced few written works."

Here is a statue of Sera Khandro.

easternwomen_zps05yuxz8z.jpg

"But darn it, Stan, Jack, and Steve made Nick Fury and Johnny Storm white, the Ancient One an Asian male, and Sue Storm invisible! "

"That's the way we like it, and that's the way it's supposed to be!" :sumo:

:shy:

:banana:

"But darn it, Stan, Jack, and Steve made Nick Fury and Johnny Storm white, the Ancient One an Asian male, and Sue Storm invisible! "

"That's the way we like it, and that's the way it's supposed to be!" :sumo:

:shy:

:banana:

Actually, you summed it up rather succinctly.

Long time fans of these stories have been waiting to see silver screen realizations of the books for literally decades.

Not hack director's injections of their "vision'. Not studios being PC. If somebody wanted to do an original movie with female Asian (or Caucasian playing Asian) mentors, or African American or female superheroes, knock yourselves out. Of course that would take creativity.

If it's good many of the so called "purists" would love to see it and become fans. In the meantime leave the established characters and stories alone.

Edited by marvelcollector

She was an amazing androgynous Gabriel in Constantine. I wouldn't be surprised if they cast her in a similar role for the Ancient One. Hope Clea has the purple cross-hatched tights and the silver shag so you purists can be happy about something!

This is a brilliant post. De rigueur for fingh.

If you'll allow a presumptuous bit of copy editing, I think that with all the Shakespeare genderbending acting comments in the thread, a change from cross-hatched to cross-gartered* would be apropos.

*See Malvolio in Twelfth Night.

This is a brilliant post. De rigueur for fingh.

If you'll allow a presumptuous bit of copy editing, I think that with all the Shakespeare genderbending acting comments in the thread, a change from cross-hatched to cross-gartered* would be apropos.

*See Malvolio in Twelfth Night.

But only if the actors are smiling throughout!