• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

~~THE~~GIVING~~TREE~~
5 5

7,208 posts in this topic

Harv, I love what you've done with this thread, and you know that I've supported you from the start, but I'm going to have to go with Chip on this one. No matter how hard you try, you'll never get a giving/trading thread that is all sunshine, flowers and smiles. The best you can do is set out a bunch of rules to encourage it. You have done so, and they have been followed to the letter. The system worked, let's move on.

Gentlemen and Ladies, I really would like to participate in this thread but there are dozens of pages of vigorous discussion making it virtually impossible for anyone to participate outside of those who clearly can sit here and read/post all day long.

For the love of ::insert personal preferred deity here::, can we please stop with all the chit-chat, butt-hurt, and superfluous commentary (applause that an offer is great is just as derailing as negative statements)?

Honestly, can we just get to the point where there are only offers posted and people take them (or not) and then post their own?

I think you missed the point of his post. Its a lack of urgency to the person offering up the books he is trying to eliminate. People become complacent if they think their offer will be taken in 2 days which leads to people sitting around for two days. You and I thought the offer was good and we should have kept it under our hats because we are sitting on the sidelines.

...but again, why is there a sense of urgency in the first place above and beyond what the rules state? You want faster turnover? Change the rules to reflect that. Thread moving too slow for you? Change the rules to reflect that.

As I've stated before, cut all "chatter" posts other than the posting/claiming of offers and nearly all of the problems in this thread go away. No one will know what others want, and if nothing is claimed than the offeror has to switch it up as much as he can before enough time passes where he'll get a strike.

Peace,

Chip

So you agree that the "chatter" is sometimes not positive and in this case Harvey is saying he feels our particular "chatter" was not helpful to the thread. Out of respect for the thread - lets just chatter about other stuff and leave out the pre-emptive "I'll take it in two days" talk.

Gentlemen and Ladies, I really would like to participate in this thread but there are dozens of pages of vigorous discussion making it virtually impossible for anyone to participate outside of those who clearly can sit here and read/post all day long.

For the love of ::insert personal preferred deity here::, can we please stop with all the chit-chat, butt-hurt, and superfluous commentary (applause that an offer is great is just as derailing as negative statements)?

Honestly, can we just get to the point where there are only offers posted and people take them (or not) and then post their own?

The chatter of the birds is what makes the tree extra special. The second post is always there for people to check what the current offer is.

Current offer is always linked in the 2nd post of the thread - right under the rules people need to read before participating anyway.

I want to involve and entice NEW participants. Those that may be lurking and not jumping in.

You are not limiting the involvement of new participants because the offering was not changed up. You are limiting the involvement of new participants because they see a risk in being chastised about offerings which are in line value wise with previous offers.

There are checks in place to prevent junk from being offered. Let them function as designed.

If thread stalling is the concern, then institute measures to speed up the process. Change the time limit to 48 hours before the automatic strike is imposed and 24 hours to open it up to those who have already used their monthly quota. Change the strike quantity to two. Personally, I don't think the former is necessary, but it seems clear that anyone getting two strikes isn't participating to give back to the community.

Edited by InvstmntComcSuply

Current offer is always linked in the 2nd post of the thread - right under the rules people need to read before participating anyway.

I got that, I read the first 35 pages of the thread before I skipped to the end.

If people can't see how ridiculous the thread is due to the "chatter" and commentary about the "chatter" then it probably won't matter to them that very few people will participate because of the "chatter."

The chatter of the birds is what makes the tree extra special. The second post is always there for people to check what the current offer is.

I think you forgot the quotation marks on "extra special..."

Chatter. :cloud9:

Seriously though, that is why I suggested the 24 hours to begin with. Its long enough that most people will see the offer but short enough that it prevents the perception of the thread stalling.

I'm going to address this once more and then just step back and let everyone think about it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions so that is cool, but I really want you to think about these two situations critically and figure out:

which one benefits a couple of individuals and which one benefits more community involvement and leads to excitement in this thread?

>>>>>This IS a hypothetical so do NOT refer back to the Ducky/Chip situation.<<<<<

Situation A:

-Boardie1 posts their offer

-it sits for over a day without really any changing it up and mild interest

-Boardie2 states publicly (I'm wishfully thinking there are no PM's, that would be :facepalm: ) that they intend to claim the offer after 48 hours.

-everyone sits and waits for another day with little care by Boardie1 to change up the offer at all.

-after 48 hours, Boardie2 :takeit:

Situation B:

-Boardie1 starts to feel a little pressure or even that they might have misjudged their offer.

-Boardie1 thinks to himself: " hm You know what, I got a great offer and I really want this thread to be successful and I want to give back to this awesome community. Now that I think about it, I do have x, y or z that I could offer. Let's see if someone would want those?"

-Boardie1 - :news: "In addition to my previous offer, I'd like to offer options:x, y or z."

- one or two outcomes happen: someone is excited by option x or option y and :takeit: OR Boardie2 who wanted the original option, but kept quiet waits 48 hours and :takeit:

Back to the original question:

Which one benefits a couple of individuals and which one benefits more community involvement and leads to excitement in this thread? :juggle:

I got that, I read the first 35 pages of the thread before I skipped to the end.

If people can't see how ridiculous the thread is due to the "chatter" and commentary about the "chatter" then it probably won't matter to them that very few people will participate because of the "chatter."

Up until just recently the chatter has been pretty positive. Since this thread isn't stickied you do need some activity outside of the offers to keep the thread up to the top of the first page for people to see. So I guess it's either idle chatter or constant :bump:

Up until just recently the chatter has been pretty positive. Since this thread isn't stickied you do need some activity outside of the offers to keep the thread up to the top of the first page for people to see. So I guess it's either idle chatter or constant :bump:

Fair enough.

Chatter :bump:

And regarding chit chat - I've seen this complaint SEVERAL times and I fully understand it. I just want to state - this thread doesn't have the benefit of being stickied like PIF so it can end up buried. For that reason, chit chat does serve a beneficial side effect of bumping the thread so maybe someone that didn't see it before or someone that didn't look, but sees 100 different replies might look to see what all of the fuss is about. If someone wanted to PM a mod and ask that it be stickied, :foryou: . But that just leads to people who aren't involved :pullhair: with another stickied Comics General thread. It sort of becomes the damned if you do, damned if you don't dilemma. :flamed:

There was great mojo last night.

And also, chatter is important otherwise the thread is just a boring trading thread. The interaction is what makes it fun. So lets keep the interaction positive.

What's funny is that if we did away with the "official" offers and back and forth of the rules regarding the official offers you'd be left with nothing but positive interactions in here :)

I'm going to address this once more and then just step back and let everyone think about.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions so that is cool, but I really want you to think about these two situations critically and figure out:

which one benefits a couple of individuals and which one benefits more community involvement and leads to excitement in this thread?

>>>>>This IS a hypothetical so do NOT refer back to the Ducky/Chip situation.<<<<<

Situation A:

-Boardie2 states publicly (I'm wishfully thinking there are no PM's, that would be :facepalm: ) that they intend to claim the offer after 48 hours.

-everyone sits and waits for another day with little care by Boardie1 to change up the offer at all.

Situation B:

-Boardie1 starts to feel a little pressure or even that they might have misjudged their offer.

-Boardie1 thinks to himself: " hm You know what, I got a great offer and I really want this thread to be successful and I want to give back to this awesome community. Now that I think about it, I do have x, y or z that I could offer. Let's see if someone would want those?"

-Boardie1 - :news: "In addition to my previous offer, I'd like to offer options:x, y or z."

- one or two outcomes happen: someone is excited by option x or option y and :takeit: OR Boardie2 who wanted the original option, but kept quiet waits 48 hours and :takeit:

Which one benefits a couple of individuals and which one benefits more community involvement and leads to excitement in this thread? :juggle:

Of course Option B is the better option for the community as a whole. But unless you want to start forcing Option B in the rules, then it's not always going to happen, and you should accept that sometimes you'll be seeing Option A.

I'm going to address this once more and then just step back and let everyone think about.

Situation A:

Situation B:

I agree that announced preemptive :takeit: stall the thread. In addition to the lack of incentive to the offeror, many of those sitting on the sidelines will wait, rather than "rocking the boat". Especially if the preemptive poster is widely respected.

Situation A:

Situation B:

Of course Option B is the better option for the community as a whole. But unless you want to start forcing Option B in the rules, then it's not always going to happen, and you should accept that sometimes you'll be seeing Option A.

It comes down to how you want to approach this thread. Are you more concerned with giving or taking? Not you specifically, I'm talking in general.

It comes down to how you want to approach this thread. Are you more concerned with giving or taking? Not you specifically, I'm talking in general.

^^

I spent a couple of hours tinkering with the first post. With the image, with the font, with the spacing, even with the general "message" in the last sentence. :insane:

It's one of the first books I bought for my daughter and even though she just likes the colors and likes to bite and chew on it right now, I like to read it to her and it makes me :cloud9:

I can't stress it enough. I can only put some rules into place to prevent people from blatantly screwing this community. I CAN'T control people's actions in general. If someone wants to be a team player and look out for this place: (worship)

If they don't: :sorry:

I hope people will see Situation B as the right thing to do, but I can't force it. I'm not going to add another rule. What's the point? (shrug) I just hope people stop thinking "me me me" and starting thinking of everyone else here. That's all. Sorry for the :preach: