• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

~~THE~~GIVING~~TREE~~
5 5

7,208 posts in this topic

Yup participants need to be more proactive.

Even if it's a generous offer if there's no interest there's no interest.

I missed out on this whole conversation since I was sleeping (crazy me) but I did question this statement. Didn't Ducky post up a first offer that was quickly panned and then he came back with a nice offer (definitely in line with what others have offered up). It looks like he waited the 2 days and did nothing to change his offer for whatever reason and it was taken within seconds of becoming available to all members. What did we learn from this? The offer was definitely good since multiple members would have taken it (me included) but it wasn't good enough for someone to use their once a month acceptance.

Are we now asking members to not only come up with a good offer but then rotate the offer to see if they come up with the right combination necessary to get someone to use their acceptance. That kind of feels like the ugly guy at the dance having to do around offering flowers to the girl so they will dance with him. I don't think many people are going to accept any offer if they have to go through that much risk of rejection.

I originally put up an offer that was soundly rejected, I offered another several hours later which many members seemed to like. It was claimed then rescinded, several members who had previously calmed stated they were interested. So I left the offer up because I knew someone wanted it and to irritate Jiminy Cricket. Had there been no interest in my offer after it was claimed and rescinded I would have offered something else. 48 hours does not stall the thread. There were multiple "giveaways" during that time.

and there still are a few sitting out there unclaimed....

I myself almost took Ducky's offer, solely because I just picked up a VF ASM 300 from Comical gems and I have two copies of 301 out with Joeypost right now. They would have completed the set nicely. The biggest reason I didn't take the offer is timing. I have been working long days and didn't have time to put an offer together until this coming weekend. I'll put a few together and have them on standby for going forward :thumbsup:

I originally put up an offer that was soundly rejected, I offered another several hours later which many members seemed to like. It was claimed then rescinded, several members who had previously calmed stated they were interested. So I left the offer up because I knew someone wanted it and to irritate Jiminy Cricket. Had there been no interest in my offer after it was claimed and rescinded I would have offered something else. 48 hours does not stall the thread. There were multiple "giveaways" during that time.

You're A ok in my book :applause:

Thanks for the info. I think the system worked perfectly. The person who offered up a good offer did not have his feet held to the flame to come up with an even better offer just to avoid the strike and now after two days we will get a new offer on the table for the people who didn't like the ASM 298, 299 and cool book.

See I thought this was the problem in the PIF thread. Everyone knew that if they waited it out, people would offer more although the first offer may have been acceptable. I offered up a bunch of trades in my one time in the PIF thread. People said how nice of an offer the Fables trades were, but no one took them. People even admitted in the thread itself they were waiting for me to allow people to pick more trades.

That is the issue. Copies of ASM 298 and 299 can go for big money and are pretty key issues. I think scans would have helped, but those were quality books. People wanted him to offer more stuff to sweeten the deal and there is a word for that: Greed.

I disagree with you completely. However that way of thinking does explain the four day delays that occurred in PIF.

You would disagree with someone else's opinion.

This is not the PIF, it you want to go there and discuss it I will be right there.

I disagree with you completely. However that way of thinking does explain the four day delays that occurred in PIF.

I don't understand which portion you disagree with? The offer was found to be good since a person quickly took it when it did not cause him to sit out for the month. I agree with you that people should offer up multiple options and switch it up when its stale but I do not think they should be required to if the offer is good. There has to be a medium between people being complacent and people just being too darn picky.

Edited by 1Cool

There seems to be a lot of :preach: going on right now.

Great, Ducky's offer was claimed:

:golfclap:

The reverse side of these arguments against Ducky changing up his offer is - why would he? (shrug) 1Cool and Chip made it very clear that they intended to claim the books after 48 hours. Personally, I'd hope that someone sitting with an offer for 2 days knowing plenty have seen it would switch it up. I'd feel embarrassed if it was me. :blush: I want this thread to grow beyond those who may have participated in PIF. I feel that for that to happen things need to be different.

Everyone stating Ducky's offer was great and whatnot cannot overlook that he DID stall the thread for 2 days by not caring to at least try to offer options.

In the future, if it is your intention to claim something after 48 hours, please...for the benefit of the community and integrity of this thread:

:news: Don't announce it. :news:

As someone who spends a lot of time on the boards, I can tell you that I will not participate in this thread. I would fear that the few PIF/TGT bullies would call foul on my offer and make me feel like a chump. I'll pipe in from time to time because I like some of the people in here and there is a lot of conversation. It just ticks me off to see a few people claim that someone's offer isn't adequate and is drek or cool books.

I think there in lies the problem and I think for this to ever be successful those people need to shut up and let the thread go. The negativity in here by a very few people is astounding.

I've had enough good deeds done for me on these boards without even asking that I'm good though. It just really bothers me to see people pushed around.

In the future, if it is your intention to claim something after 48 hours, please...for the benefit of the community and integrity of this thread:

Curious - do you think the integrity of the thread suffered because an offer sat for 48 hours before someone who really wanted it claimed it?

You said previously in the thread that the aim isn't necessarily to have 4, 5, 6 offers a day, but to get quality offers up. I'm wondering how that reconciles with the above.

To put the question another way: what is the aim of this thread, and how does what happened with Ducky/Chip damage that?

I never did the PIF, I thought I'd give this thread a try. I've been impressed with Harvey's effort but the egotism and butthurt is strong in here. I disagree with Ducky, two days is stalling the thread. It seems that people quickly resolve to employ game theory to maximize their interests rather than abide by the spirit of the forum and at times the letter of the rules.

There seems to be a lot of :preach: going on right now.

Great, Ducky's offer was claimed:

:golfclap:

The reverse side of these arguments against Ducky changing up his offer is - why would he? (shrug) 1Cool and Chip made it very clear that they intended to claim the books after 48 hours. Personally, I'd hope that someone sitting with an offer for 2 days knowing plenty have seen it would switch it up. I'd feel embarrassed if it was me. :blush: I want this thread to grow beyond those who may have participated in PIF. I feel that for that to happen things need to be different.

Everyone stating Ducky's offer was great and whatnot cannot overlook that he DID stall the thread for 2 days by not caring to at least try to offer options.

The other flip side to all of this is that you can actually offer up something the community states is a good offering but for whatever reason, people are reluctant to take it.

My first offer I had was a good offer. It was up for less than 24 hours and there was A LOT of calls for me to change it up, etc. There was a lot of "talk" while I was away.

Yes, I did feel "pressure" to change it up and I would have done so WITHOUT the poking. The whole thing made it a bit of a sour experience. However, I have zero regrets about my offer that was taken.

The community needs to understand that offerers are not sitting at their computer 24-7 and that sometimes an offer does need to "sit" for a little while for the right set of eyes to see it and want it, other times stuff will go lightning quick. Just the way it is.

We can't have the pitchforks coming out if a) it is a genuinely good offer and b) the board needs patience to allow for others to see it and c) trust participants that they will exercise good judgment in switching up an offer if it is not taken after awhile and only start "poking" the offerer when it is pretty clear that the item needs to be switched.

2c

Curious - do you think the integrity of the thread suffered because an offer sat for 48 hours before someone who really wanted it claimed it?

You said previously in the thread that the aim isn't necessarily to have 4, 5, 6 offers a day, but to get quality offers up. I'm wondering how that reconciles with the above.

To put the question another way: what is the aim of this thread, and how does what happened with Ducky/Chip damage that?

I want to involve and entice NEW participants. Those that may be lurking and not jumping in.

This last offer/claim did not accomplish that. Ducky had zero intention to try new offers or options as soon as he knew he had two people who would take his current offer.

By 1Cool and Chip announcing that after 48 hours - :takeit: - the only ones benefitting are Ducky and 1Cool/Chip while everyone just sits and waits. I did say I don't want it expect multiple claims a day. I also don't want people gaming the system.