• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

~~THE~~GIVING~~TREE~~
5 5

7,208 posts in this topic

My goal is to get something I like then blow away folks with my offer.

So far GN's and Moderns/BA don't turn my crank so I'm waitin.

If I'm reading the rules correct, you can only have one :takeit: in a 30 day period. If so that makes it tougher to take something. Will there be enough interest in this to make people wait 30 days? I have some nice stuff I can offer and would like the ss book being offered, but I would hate to miss a better ss book in a couple of weeks.

You have to factor in the number of SS books being offered is probably going to come up a couple times in a month and while you wait the quick fingers grabbers may eclipse their month and grab the SS you wanted. As long as you see something that interested you I'd grab it and you will be back in the game in a month. I think the new rule to outlaw mystery boxes will keep things moving a lot quicker since people don't like a mystery when they are putting up a comparable book.

So, for some people it's all about how much you can take and not at all what you can give. I see. :facepalm:

Unfortunately I see this as a recurring theme. Not saying it's intentional as I have the same thoughts. Personally I want to make sure that I HAVE a worthy offer if I claim the offer. I can't claim a 9.0 ASM 300 if the only thing I have to offer is....I dunno a mid grade semi-key issue. I think the other questions regarding somethings value has to deal with this part of it.

Personally, since I like to claim stuff, I prefer to give more than I take. I don't mind taking a loss on items because it is not supposed to be about the monetary value. For me, it is all about the fun and the people and always will be.

:gossip: Talking about the value of a particular offer is not strictly against the rules but frowned upon in my opinion.

Regarding the 1 month per claim rule.

I'd suggest that if someone claims something they can't claim again within one month, UNLESS an offer sits unclaimed for 24 hours.

These types of threads will only survive, in my opinion, because of the regulars that participate. Locking out the regulars is going to result in offers being posted and sitting for 3 days, offers that might be decent, and result in a strike that isn't warranted.

If someone posts something and it goes unclaimed for 24 hours, put it on the open market for anyone to claim it.

I don't agree with this. I think the rules are fine as Swick has them (for now)

How about a time limit to post your offering once you grab something so it doesn't get stalled like now. I have mine ready to go for when I grab something I like and it will be up about 60 sec after my i'll take it....

Rule 3 - You have 24 hours. It is already there. I still think you should read that first post. lol

lol

I hope the clock starts ticking on your 3 day limit as soon as you take something, though.

Or do I need to go back and read the 1st post also? lol

Mine will get snapped up almost immediately I GUARANTEE IT

Kav if it's going to be snatched up quick I'm thinking you must be offering a lifetime ban of yourself!!

Personally, since I like to claim stuff, I prefer to give more than I take. I don't mind taking a loss on items because it is not supposed to be about the monetary value. For me, it is all about the fun and the people and always will be.

:gossip: Talking about the value of a particular offer is not strictly against the rules but frowned upon in my opinion.

+1

How about a time limit to post your offering once you grab something so it doesn't get stalled like now. I have mine ready to go for when I grab something I like and it will be up about 60 sec after my i'll take it....

Rule 3 - You have 24 hours. It is already there. I still think you should read that first post. lol

lol

I hope the clock starts ticking on your 3 day limit as soon as you take something, though.

Or do I need to go back and read the 1st post also? lol

Mine will get snapped up almost immediately I GUARANTEE IT

Kav if it's going to be snatched up quick I'm thinking you must be offering a lifetime ban of yourself!!

Ok let's not go crazy here it's not something equivalent to Action #1.....

OPTION 1

Choose 6 trades and one Mystery Box (sorry for upside down pics)

x0y1ix.jpg

fxf1b4.jpg

A

giphy.gif

X-men Mystery Box

B

9201b5e35f0c4cee8556203e2c86c381.gif

Wolverine Mystery Box

C

tumblr_mf3rcntVgO1rjffywo1_500.gif

Deadpool Mystery Box

OPTION 2

Uncanny X-men 232 CGC SS 9.8 signed by Claremont and Silvestri

23j4cb4.jpg

OPTION 3

SDCC 2014 Exclusive Grab

For this option you will get to choose an item out of my exclusives from SDCC. Last year I had stuff from Hasbro, Lego, Marvel, Funko... I can try to accommodate a specific request, but no guarantees. This item will obviously ship after comic con.

Because of the weight and size of most of these options, US shipping only on these, except for option 2. I will pay first $20 on that for International.

:bump:

I'm saddened that the current offerer jumped on an awesome offer as soon as it was posted. Yet waited 12 hours to post his offer. Then after it sitting there for several hours, with no takers, still hasn't bothered to change it up, in the hopes of moving this thread along. Please put as much effort into posting your offers as you do in continously refreshing this thread looking for a big score.

You really have no clue if you think I'm trolling this thread for scores.

There's no point in mixing it up yet, because there's too much person_without_enough_empathying for my offer to stay on the front page.

If people don't want mystery boxes, fine. Now that it's in the rules I won't post one again. Any cursory search of my participation should show I don't to the minimum when it comes to that, but whatever.

As far as exclusives go, my participation in the last Holiday Raffle and PIF should give a gauge of what I'd have to offer.

Last time I posted an offer at 2 in the morning, which was a statue, I got tons of PM flack for it. Hence waiting til generally everybody was around to post this offer. If it's not up to spec, it will get vetoed or expire.

I'd suggest that if someone claims something they can't claim again within one month, UNLESS an offer sits unclaimed for 24 hours.

These types of threads will only survive, in my opinion, because of the regulars that participate. Locking out the regulars is going to result in offers being posted and sitting for 3 days, offers that might be decent, and result in a strike that isn't warranted.

If someone posts something and it goes unclaimed for 24 hours, put it on the open market for anyone to claim it.

I don't think there is a large enough population of traders/givers/whatever to sustain this game with the rules as written. Once the regulars are locked out for a month offers are going to sit and people are going to get strikes that may be unwarranted.

Problem #2 is, once someone's offer gets a strike, I was told previously that their offer comes down but the previous offer doesn't come back up, it's expected that someone/anyone can step in and post an offer. I know there are people on this board that would do that, but it's not exactly fair that someone has to jumpstart the thread with nothing in return.

I don't think there is a large enough population of traders/givers/whatever to sustain this game with the rules as written. Once the regulars are locked out for a month offers are going to sit and people are going to get strikes that may be unwarranted.

Problem #2 is, once someone's offer gets a strike, I was told previously that their offer comes down but the previous offer doesn't come back up, it's expected that someone/anyone can step in and post an offer. I know there are people on this board that would do that, but it's not exactly fair that someone has to jumpstart the thread with nothing in return.

I was under the impression that no one ships their item till the next guy's offer gets taken so this wouldnt happen.

If I'm reading the rules correct, you can only have one :takeit: in a 30 day period. If so that makes it tougher to take something. Will there be enough interest in this to make people wait 30 days? I have some nice stuff I can offer and would like the ss book being offered, but I would hate to miss a better ss book in a couple of weeks.

You have to factor in the number of SS books being offered is probably going to come up a couple times in a month and while you wait the quick fingers grabbers may eclipse their month and grab the SS you wanted. As long as you see something that interested you I'd grab it and you will be back in the game in a month. I think the new rule to outlaw mystery boxes will keep things moving a lot quicker since people don't like a mystery when they are putting up a comparable book.

So, for some people it's all about how much you can take and not at all what you can give. I see. :facepalm:

I tried naming the tread "The Giving Tree" for a reason but people are starting to treat it as a "higher stakes PIF" and waiting for big ticket items and upset that they can't take more often. I dunno. I guess I WAS being too optimistic with this thread. doh!

And the 3 day window begins when you take something. (thumbs u

Remember Harv the more you take the more you give! I still think this will work great despite all the analysis of the rules.

To answer your first point - I think if the offer is good, then it won't sit and actually encourage new people to join and not rely exclusively on the "regulars ". I believe that's the intent of the rule. Let's try it and see if it works

And for point #2, I'll ready with an offer so that if that happens I'll make sure this thread and Swick don't fail

I don't mind giving something and like you said, there are plenty of people who will do that and not need or expect something in return

Let's wait and see what happens

I thought this was "The Giving Tree".

I'm saddened to learn it's actually "The Taking Tree".

(shrug):sorry:

:gossip: I'm catching up. I played with my daughter on the swings. :cloud9: And we're not changing the rules anymore. One :takeit: every 30 days. If the thread dies - so be it.

Unfortunately I see this as a recurring theme. Not saying it's intentional as I have the same thoughts. Personally I want to make sure that I HAVE a worthy offer if I claim the offer. I can't claim a 9.0 ASM 300 if the only thing I have to offer is....I dunno a mid grade semi-key issue. I think the other questions regarding somethings value has to deal with this part of it.

This is why I still haven't claimed anything! :D:shy:

I thought this was "The Giving Tree".

I'm saddened to learn it's actually "The Taking Tree".

(shrug):sorry:

:gossip: I'm catching up. I played with my daughter on the swings. :cloud9: And we're not changing the rules anymore. One :takeit: every 30 days. If the thread dies - so be it.

Harv kids changing the rules is what makes it fun!!

I tried naming the tread "The Giving Tree" for a reason but people are starting to treat it as a "higher stakes PIF" and waiting for big ticket items and upset that they can't take more often. I dunno. I guess I WAS being too optimistic with this thread. doh!

And the 3 day window begins when you take something. (thumbs u

I think it's to be expected. If there are rules that an offer isn't good enough, then people will try to avoid that by assigning something measurable (money) and using that as the barometer to make sure their offers will be "valid" allowing them to claim the prize.

We have safeguards to protect generous people, dirtbags will attempt to manipulate the safeguards and then a need for measurement or comparison will surface.