• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

~~THE~~GIVING~~TREE~~
5 5

7,208 posts in this topic

:banana:OPTION 2 :banana:

:takeit:

lol I was literally typing up the I'll take it for option 3 and I thought I better see if it was still available. Glad the thread is back on track.

This thread (and PiF) reminds me of that Saw movie where everyone can survive if they work together, but ultimately everyone is out for themselves and everyone looses (you know... The one where the dude has to fill up the cup with blood by running his hand over a skill saw).

No disrespect to Swick and what he's trying to do here or players who respect the spirit of the "giving" tree.

I <3 you.

And you don't even LIKE horror movies! :baiting: I COULD see that analogy coming from Geoff! :D

In the movie if everyone had worked together each could have donated a little blood and filled the cup to activate the trigger and unlock the door to escape. However, at that point most all had died and the last player had to use too much blood to try to "win" but it didn't turn out well.

I FULLY, 100% understand what everyone is saying. That unless everyone in the community participated, the thread will stall even if a good offer is up. If people used up their monthly :takeit: and someone posted amazing OA or a high slabbed book or something people were falling over themselves for and no one took it, that would be kind of silly if they got a strike. doh!

But I can't think of any other way to prevent people who constantly hm when a good offer is thrown up and are watching this thread like a hawk to grab something. I GUESS that it the onus would fall back on the offeror to say (tsk) "I feel like you've taken enough recently." Like I said, originally I thought the idea of someone claiming something every few months was more than enough taking. I spoke to a few people and got their opinions and listened to the advice. I think taking something every 30 days is fair. How much do you REALLY have to take? (shrug) Sadly, the think to also consider as a repercussion of this rule is what someone already threw out:

"What if I use my 'take it' and something "better" comes along?"

Sadly, I think some may really be thinking this and even though there is a good offer on the table and someone is thinking about taking it, it's sad that they may "hold out" for something more. I really don't know what to do I guess. Maybe we can revisit it when we have a month into the thread?

:idea: How about this - If a generous offer is sitting there for over 24 hours and a large majority have used up their "quota" for the month and would take something - maybe they can PM the offeror and tell them what they would like to offer up in return. Maybe the original offeror will say "that's cool, that's a generous offer" and GIVE them an additional "take it". :idea:

That's my biggest concern. There's already some safeguards to protect sub-par offers. I think the 30 day thing is just fine, also like the added suggestion.

My comments are below in blue.

I FULLY, 100% understand what everyone is saying. That unless everyone in the community participated, the thread will stall even if a good offer is up. If people used up their monthly :takeit: and someone posted amazing OA or a high slabbed book or something people were falling over themselves for and no one took it, that would be kind of silly if they got a strike. doh!

Here is an easy rule change to fix the unwarranted strike people are concerned will happen: I said it before about the PIF thread, the thread needs someone to "own it / moderate it." That person for this thread is Harvey. So keep everything the same, except give Harvey the power to forgive a strike if he feels the offerer did everthing they were suppose to in the spirit of the thread. Done. 2c

But I can't think of any other way to prevent people who constantly hm when a good offer is thrown up and are watching this thread like a hawk to grab something. I GUESS that it the onus would fall back on the offeror to say (tsk) "I feel like you've taken enough recently." Like I said, originally I thought the idea of someone claiming something every few months was more than enough taking. I spoke to a few people and got their opinions and listened to the advice. I think taking something every 30 days is fair. How much do you REALLY have to take? (shrug) Sadly, the think to also consider as a repercussion of this rule is what someone already threw out:

"What if I use my 'take it' and something "better" comes along?"

Sadly, I think some may really be thinking this and even though there is a good offer on the table and someone is thinking about taking it, it's sad that they may "hold out" for something more. I really don't know what to do I guess. Maybe we can revisit it when we have a month into the thread?

:idea: How about this - If a generous offer is sitting there for over 24 hours and a large majority have used up their "quota" for the month and would take something - maybe they can PM the offeror and tell them what they would like to offer up in return. Maybe the original offeror will say "that's cool, that's a generous offer" and GIVE them an additional "take it". :idea:

+ 1

Harvey should be like Kenesaw Mountain Landis.

(the first Commissioner of Baseball from 1920 until his death. He is remembered for his handling of the Black Sox scandal, in which he expelled eight members of the Chicago White Sox from organized baseball for conspiring to lose the 1919 World Series and repeatedly refused their reinstatement requests. His firm actions and iron rule over baseball in the near quarter-century of his commissionership are generally credited with restoring public confidence in the game)

This would give Harvey the unilateral power to stop two potential bottom feeders from working together to game the thread.

People were being very disrespectful to the previous poster. His offers were good it just took some time for the right person to come along and claim it.

Insulting a person's genuine offer is against the spirit of this thread.

In other words :foryou: play nice!

One thing about this thread-it's got people on the edge of their seats...

Is there a thread that explains the difference between this thread and the other thread?

:gossip: Consequences to repeatedly offering up junk and allowing the offeror to say "no" to someone trying to get something for free without actually trying to give something back.

The terms "bottom feeders" and "junk doneys" are thrown around here way to often and easily.

I give credit to Harvey for starting a new and improved thread but let's be honest here ....both PIF and "the giving tree" are basically a form of a trading thread.

Yes, there are "the few and proud" who give up a lot without taking any or very little which is a true pay it forward or giving but by and large, I'd say at least 80% of people on here are in fact trading.

It's a fun and exciting game and for the hours I've been home so far it's been entertaining to follow but please be honest in what this is...Otherwise people would not be waiting for great offers, or jumping on a offer like the Spidey 300 within less than a minute being posted.

I am sure based on my participation in the PIF thread which a lot of people like to try and look down on that I am one of the ones being labeled a "bottom feeder" or "junk donkey" when the fact is I look at these as what they really are...a form of trading.

That being said I have an excellent offer waiting for once I choose to participate, one that I am very confident will be in the top 3 to 4 offers that have been posted thus far.

Anyways, off to see Motley Crue and Def Leppard!!!!! 80's Hair metal here I come.

and btw, kudos to HarveySwick on all the effort and time it took to create this.

Edited by shazzzam

I dont see it as a trading thread at all. I'm excited to post mine and am just waiting for something that fits my collection. I would not trade my item for the type of items I am willing to take so I can post it.

Not the same at all.

absolutely and no disrespect CAHokie...I would have done the same...I'm just making a point that very few on here are just saying "hey I wan to give back to community" and immediately going on here and posting an outrageously good offer and not caring what they get in return, people like you and I are all waiting for a offer that peaks our interest and in return offering something equal or greater in value...that is "trading" is it not?

and to call that "junk donkey" or "bottom feeder" is ridiculous

People by and large give what they feel previous offer is worth otherwise the previous "Mystery Box" would have been taken by the many waiting on the sidelines within minutes because they would truly in fact be "giving" or "paying it forward" and not really caring if it's going to be equal value lol

That being said I'm very confident when I take an offer my follow up will be worth much more that what I take

absolutely and no disrespect CAHokie...I would have done the same...I'm just making a point that very few on here are just saying "hey I wan to give back to community" and immediately going on here and posting an outrageously good offer and not caring what they get in return, people like you and I are all waiting for a offer that peaks our interest and in return offering something equal or greater in value...that is "trading" is it not?

Never heard that concept said before hm

Trading thread you say?

Edited by 1Cool

and to call that "junk donkey" or "bottom feeder" is ridiculous

People by and large give what they feel previous offer is worth otherwise the previous "Mystery Box" would have been taken by the many waiting on the sidelines within minutes because they would truly in fact be "giving" or "paying it forward" and not really caring if it's going to be equal value lol

That being said I'm very confident when I take an offer my follow up will be worth much more that what I take

Well if it's not something you're interested in having that might be the reason for not taking. I have no interest in some items even though they are valued. If it's something I want, I have no problem offering up something else worth 4 times as much.