• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink Summer Featured Auction

338 posts in this topic

I consigned the Colan / Simonson Dr Strange page (bought it just a few years ago but before The Fifty took over). They don't make it clear but you'all should know if interested, not only is it Colan inked by Simonson but it is the only page Walt ever inked over Gene. I almost traded it to Walt last year but I musta got greedy and the deal fell apart.

The ComicLink printed catalogs were mailed out, I just got mine in the mail... the book keeps getting better and better as they grow their auction. It's not nearly as detailed as Heritage nor is all inclusive like Heritage, but has a sampling of some (definitely not all) of the pieces up for auction, some of the "better" ones but that's all perspective and there's a lot online not in the catalog which are better than some in the catalog, so it's just more of a sampling of some of the pieces.

I am just bidding on one item this auction. All my resources are going to it plus I am selling a few items to go higher if need be. My stuff doesn't come along too often. Thankfully.

Tracking bids placed. Quickest run-up that I noticed was the New Gods 4 cover, already at 8K --somebody does not grasp the "tracking bid window" concept...

Lots of good stuff but nothing that strikes me as an absolute showstopper. Any predictions on the highest hammering item for this go round?

I think a lot of people who are tracking with a mind for buying with a certain level of serious don't rely on sniping and trying to get a bargain knowing nothing goes for cheap underneath the radar anymore, with art dealers placing bids with an eye for resale, so what I find a lot do is just bid a high respectable number to quickly raise the price to get rid of the lookie loos and let it be known there's an interested buyer so hopefully casual bidders will go elsewhere.

The ASM 141 Cover is my guess

I don't know what will go highest, but I think the ELEKTRA: ASSASSIN #4 cover is damn nice. One of the more memorable covers of the era (at least to me)...I would not be surprised if there's a battle for it.

I think a lot of people who are tracking with a mind for buying with a certain level of serious don't rely on sniping and trying to get a bargain knowing nothing goes for cheap underneath the radar anymore, with art dealers placing bids with an eye for resale, so what I find a lot do is just bid a high respectable number to quickly raise the price to get rid of the lookie loos and let it be known there's an interested buyer so hopefully casual bidders will go elsewhere.

I wouldn't have guessed that. I'm not sure why it would bother bidders to know there were looky loos. It's not like it's a house and you don't want people traipising through it. Or an object at a show, where you don't want people picking it up and playing with it. It's an online auction and what people are looking at are web pages. An interesting theory, but I'd guess it has much more to do with bidders who are invested in similar items wanting to demonstrate to potential bidders that any items which are much like their own will not be going cheap.

I don't know what will go highest, but I think the ELEKTRA: ASSASSIN #4 cover is damn nice. One of the more memorable covers of the era (at least to me)...I would not be surprised if there's a battle for it.

I'm guessing the Elektra cover goes for the most, followed by the ASM #239 cover, the Kirby FF 40 page and the JIM 112 splash. Then, the ASM #141 cover and the Kirby New Gods #4 cover, the latter of which I think could surprise to the upside. :popcorn:

I wouldn't have guessed that. I'm not sure why it would bother bidders to know there were looky loos. It's not like it's a house and you don't want people traipising through it. Or an object at a show, where you don't want people picking it up and playing with it. It's an online auction and what people are looking at are web pages. An interesting theory, but I'd guess it has much more to do with bidders who are invested in similar items wanting to demonstrate to potential bidders that any items which are much like their own will not be going cheap.

Yes, it's more about business / financial / economic strategy at times more than caring or emotion about the "who's who" in others interests. It's about creating hype and/or wanting others to "stay away" - - Many people do want to see what they have similarly go up. Oddly, I have a collector friend who feels opposite and wants to see the value of his stuff maintain lower prices because he's a collector and wants to continue buying more and not see rates inflate, with less regard to value.

Personally, I'm actually one of those people who, if a price is too high, I look in other directions to spend my money. So, if there's an auction where I see the price is near or beyond what I am willing to pay this early, I start looking out other pieces I hope I can afford or can acquire and surrender my interest in those other pieces.

Similarly, if a seller has a reputation for overpricing their art and always have a "please inquire", I don't even bother inquiring or stop visiting their site or their exhibit space at shows since I've already made my judgement ('tho prejudiced in certain terms, and I may be missing out on a potential deal, I play the odds and feel I have more to lose (my time and frustration) than to gain)

I'm guessing the Elektra cover goes for the most, followed by the ASM #239 cover, the Kirby FF 40 page and the JIM 112 splash. Then, the ASM #141 cover and the Kirby New Gods #4 cover, the latter of which I think could surprise to the upside. :popcorn:

So what's the ASM 141 going to go for? I have to admit I don't follow the Romita market that closely.

(I would personally take the Elektra 4 and ASM 239 over it, I just figured it looked like a really great cover from a bigger name artist and it was much much older)

So what's the ASM 141 going to go for? I have to admit I don't follow the Romita market that closely.

(I would personally take the Elektra 4 and ASM 239 over it, I just figured it looked like a really great cover from a bigger name artist and it was much much older)

I'm surprised that it's up to $15K already, as I didn't see this one breaking $20K. The multiple villains are very cool, but Spidey's back is completely turned and the art is vellum secured to art board. By comparison, the Kane/Romita #138 sold for $15.5K in the last CLink auction, and that one you could see Spidey's face and it wasn't a vellum piece. 2c

Of course, you never can tell in this market if two people decide they want something!

Solid bidding on several items already:

-Sienkiewicz Elektra Assassin #4 cover = $20K

-Perez Tales of New Teen Titans #1 cover = $4.85K

-Romita ASM 141 cover = $15K

-Romita Jr ASM 239 cover = $13.3K

-McSpidey DPS = $6.1K

-Miller Wolverine Mini-series page = $6.9K

-Kirby FF 40 page = $15.75K

-Buscema Conan 88 cover = $7.1K

-Kirby JIM 112 splash = $12.25K

-Kirby Thor 258 cover = $5.8K

-Kirby New Gods 4 cover = $11.25K

I'd have thought the Watchmen climactic splash would be up in there as well. Is the lack of characters such a deal breaker?

That's one thing. The other "problems" (poor word choice, I know) with something like this is that there are a few splashes almost exactly like it, and also there is no Moore writing/captions on the page.

That being said, I would love to have it. It's really cool and has some great WM imagery including the silhouettes shadow, the radioactive sign, a rorschach blot, a clock...

Price discovery?????????:o

(tsk)

I actually used price discovery for the first (and likely last) time in the recent heritage auction. That was a bit of a unique situation though.

Some serious early price discovery on the Frank Miller pages. The Wolverine, Daredevil and Ronin pages are already at $7800, $2900 and $3733 in the first day of bidding.