• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

XXXXX

466 posts in this topic

HAha...you guys are funny!

Why not answer the question I put out.... Okay.

Would you leave staple unattached or try to reattach? Depends. If it's a book that is ordinarily out of my price range, I'll live it and love it. If it's something I can afford, then I'll upgrade. But I will not attempt to mess with it.

You saw a close up image of the staples...what more is there to say? Nothing. We've said it.

Do you know what your books look like inside once sealed? If I submitted it, and not to PGX, then I'm quite confident in saying yes. If I buy an already slabbed book and crack it out, then, again yes. If I don't crack it out, then no- I don't "know" what they look like, but if it's CGC, I can sleep at night (and sometimes the afternoons :preach: ).

Me thinks Chip may be right.

"Ruined" for reattaching a staple! OMG! Well, it does look like some unnecessarily fugly damage.

Only the comic industry makes a big deal of repairing a book. Color touch and trim is another story. But arrival tape seals...reattaching a staple are all for preservation. That's your opinion. Good for you :)

Amazing how a number of you talk about pressing be OK. "If I were to have pressed.." and so on. That IS NOT RESTORATION but reattach a staple..that was once attached....OMG...send me to red_rocks! (tsk)Well, if the result is what we see in the scans...

CGC and others are revising their "restoration" stance for good reason!

And for those who continue to harp on staples...they are most certainly original...and were never removed...fishy or not. And you know this because...? (your turn to answer- assuming you haven't yet as I type this).

No doubt a professional grader will know that...although to me who gives a rats if a staple were changed.... As much as you're aggressively denying the possibility that that's what you have, I'd say you do. [F]or instance a rusted staple. Why would I want it to sit there????I don't know- I can't answer for you. For a Hulk #1, I'd sell it and use to $ to help fund an upgrade (do you sense a pattern? If I'm not happy with a book, I try to upgrade, not mess with myself). There are many staples that can be found from lessor books that would be just fine replacement. But somehow, someway....people from a photo can claim replaced staple.....fishy etc.... Dude, it's our freakin' OPINION. We're all waiting on bells and whistles to see if OUR GUESSES are correct.

Preserving a comic should be the goal....if it is for repair the term restoration should not be used and the owner should not be impacted with a purple or even a green label for that matter.....it should only be used when it makes a book appear to be better than it is....fixing a staple...sealing a tear (tear still visible) should not count against a book. IMHO WINNAH!

Who agrees? Who does not? Me. Is that allowed?

Thank you Rocky and Joey

I am glad to hear only 4 weeks now...I will have to ready something to you in that case...will contact you in a few days or so.

You make a lot of sense Rocky...however, you all cover yourself by saying in essence 'even though this and that is likely...it is possible that it could have been done naturally or another way. So you are covered either way.

I have been around collecting and paper for decades...I KNOW..this book has no restoration. I can also assure you...I DID NOT REMOVE THE STAPLES...and did not adjust top staple...although I probably should have as it does look off center.

And the staples are quite tight at the spine and all the rest of the pages except bottom centerfold and 2nd centerfold where there is a slit.

Perhaps you can explain why one staple has a split and the other does not? In part, I believe because the book was not set right from the start..regardless if it once had or did not have spine roll. As you can see from the image ....the spine is dead on now...yet the back cover is still off.

I have seen a number of books, and mentioned earlier, that were cracked open...and this kind of staple slit was present.

I can also tell you I have once re-attach a detached cover more than one or twice...one resulting in a nice upgrade for a AF15....even though at times it is sloppy because off the hole trying to avoid the staple slipping back through.

So...to me attaching or reattaching a staple...when possible,.using no tape or glue is a plus, plus no matter how "fishy" it looks!

Also I can tell you that more than one upon opening a CGC book...one or both staples were detached and it was not mentioned on the label. Perhaps CGC, Rocky or Joey can explain that mishap?

Many years ago I took a restoration course when it was vogue....now I try to un-restore when possible or remove tape, glue etc...tis the right thing to do.

Pressing to me is more restoration that reattaching a staple...yet everyone is happy with that...are they not?

Many times a book can not be helped...and so it goes.

When this book comes back I will tell you the results even though I cannot show label of the book......I can do this buy sending the image to someone here...perhaps even Joey or Blaze and he can convey/confirm the final grade results, since some seem to be interested.

To me, even a "lessor" grading service...still has a more valid position on grading than people here who do not do as a living and may or may not have an interest to upgrade or downgrade a book, including the owner. 3rd party service has no invested interest.

I wish to keep this book at least until something better comes along...once it is in a case, any case it is safe from harm....at least thats the way I see it right now.

To me, even a "lessor" grading service...still has a more valid position on grading than people here who do not do as a living

Wrong, I would trust at least a dozen people on here on grades and resto detection before I would send anything to PGX. If you don't know their history around here of shady dealings, do some research. But to put it mildly, they suck.

To me, even a "lessor" grading service...still has a more valid position on grading than people here who do not do as a living

Wrong, I would trust at least a dozen people on here on grades and resto detection before I would send anything to PGX. If you don't know their history around here of shady dealings, do some research. But to put it mildly, they suck.

+10000

Great that your sending such a valuable book to a garbage service known for not catching restoration instead of the most respected third party grading service. Also cool that you admitted to fiddling with the staples of an AF15. I'm sure everyone on here will be lining up to buy your books.

LOT of hostility here I know. Are you always like this? If you greet someone with, "Beautiful day, today" and they reply, "I think it's a little muggy," do you tell them they're dumb like you do later in this post? .....yet no one so far responded to the questions I asked...

Just spoke to a grader...he said staple reattachment not restoration. Oh. Well there you go. I assume he's from the third party you're using?

I doubt any third party would consider it so.... Well, at least one wouldn't.

Just dumb to think it is...sorry... This is why you're catching flack. You ask for an opinion. We give them. You say we're dumb for not thinking as you do. "Thumbs" up.

And if not attached...would it affect the grade either way..as long as top staple attached? Without all that ugly damage? Probably.

And...

WHERE DOES IT SAY REATTACHING A STAPLE IS RESTORATION??? To which source are you referring?

Yes, I have removed staples in the past....I DID NOT REMOVE THESE!

Believe what you wish... Okay, YOU didn't. Fine. What makes you so positive that someone else didn't?

Book is already on its way...I'll have it back next week....

Images, please, when it returns.

I see Mr Red that you are no willing to keep in friendly...

I respect that you like CGC...me too! Just sent 33 books to them...but for me sometimes an alternative....worth a shot. Keeps 'em honest.

WE certainly don't want a monopoly do we?

Why did Mr Borock walk away..makes one wonder.

I knew Mr. B when he was selling Gold and Silver 30 years ago!!!

OH, BTW forgot to mention..that AF15 is now in a Blue label CGC...so I guess they had no problem with the reattachment! Yet funny you still do!!! Why is that?

I guess I should have sent it in detached?

You still haven't answered why readjusting a cover...removing a spine roll...pressing with heat and pressure, a cover to make it look different/better...is OK,.....yet reattaching an even now "fishy" looking staple or reattaching a detached staple is a problem or should be considered a restored book while the later is not?

Do tell? All welcome.....Joey? Just ask'n....

3rd party service has no invested interest.

:( Someone hasn't done their homework. Did you send to PGX. At the moment, I'm on the last page of this thread, and you still haven't answered this (asked several times by many) question.

I see Mr Red that you are no willing to keep in friendly... Hey, you said we're dumb for thinking as we do :P

I respect that you like CGC...me too! Just sent 33 books to them...but for me sometimes an alternative....worth a shot. Keeps 'em honest. A Hulk #1? Gutsy.

OH, BTW forgot to mention..that AF15 is now in a Blue label CGC...so I guess they had no problem with the reattachment! Yet funny you still do!!! Why is that?

Because it's how I feel. If I had a book with similar damage to your book due to manipulation, I wouldn't want it, regardless what CGC says.

I guess I should have sent it in detached? I thought you said you did nothing to this book.

You still haven't answered why readjusting a cover...removing a spine roll...pressing with heat and pressure, a cover to make it look different/better...is OK,.....yet reattaching an even now "fishy" looking staple or reattaching a detached staple is a problem or should be considered a restored book while the later is not?

Do tell? All welcome.....Joey? Just ask'n....

That's another discussion. I'm talking about your Hulk book. Were the things mentioned above done to this book?

It is well known that cgc books sell at a premium compared to other services. The only reason you would send a book worth thousands to that other company (and of course I'm not talking about the new company) was if you were afraid cgc would find something that the other company wouldn't.

You will have to wait and see....

What is your point?

lol

PGX has "vested interest" history. Do you know that? I just can't imagine anyone who does sending a Hulk #1 in for grading.

I'd say it was dumb, but that's mean.

I wouldn't trust PGX to mow my lawn, never mind give me a professional, objective, ethically-driven, and correct evaluation of any book I own. 2c That's based on a well-documented history of suspect actions and mistakes on the company's part, most (if not all) of which has been showcased on these boards over the years.

If the book in question was sent to PGX, the only thing I'd view as being proven by a picture of it after grading is that they managed to mail the book back to the proper address and nothing more.

I guess there is always a possibility he sent it to Borocks new company, unless I missed something here.

If he did sent it in to PGX I hope he requested the " no dog hair in case " option.