• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

so many young collectors are being mislead

596 posts in this topic

Read, collect, and slab/grade what you like and don't worry about what others think.

ATTN: new collectors! the point of this thread is to DO NOT pay any heed to the poster of the above message who is attempting to mislead you into believing that you should collect comics and slab what you want and let others worry.

you would not take a brand new penny out of change and pay $20.00++ to have it NGC graded even if you loved that penny now would you ? of course not ,,, you would keep the penny and save $20.00++ same with a modern 1990 and above comics (drek)

What if that penny gets optioned?

I've heard that's going to be Two-Face's coin in Batman v. Superman.

Quote:

I can't take anyone seriously who can't quote a post properly

I will admit I am not skilled at computers and am aware that I do not post correctly , I am evidently of a different age group , I prefer in face to face communication but I have no other fellow collector friends as I am a new to comics after 40 years, my friends collect coins, for you to discount someone without computer skills is ok but actually quite shallow

As shallow as dogging someone for collecting moderns?

not dogging anyone for collecting them just for slabbing them do you have any knowledge whatsoever of any hobbies outside of comics? because they all have the same trends did you know that people buy brand new proof sets for $40.00 then take the bad advise and crack one the coins out of its case and pay $25.00 to NGC to get it graded hoping for a MS70 grade the coin was perfect except for 100 times magnification undetected to the human eye but NGC is never going to give a MS70 grade so now they have a $5.00 coin in a $25.00 holder and that is an example you modern comic slabbers need to know because it applies to those who have the wisdom to understand what I have just written

Does this mean that you are the daddy? What else shouldn't I do daddy? When is my allowance coming? I don't want MS 65 coins or 50's war comics, either.

but, but, daddy knows best

Read, collect, and slab/grade what you like and don't worry about what others think.

ATTN: new collectors! the point of this thread is to DO NOT pay any heed to the poster of the above message who is attempting to mislead you into believing that you should collect comics and slab what you want and let others worry.

you would not take a brand new penny out of change and pay $20.00++ to have it NGC graded even if you loved that penny now would you ? of course not ,,, you would keep the penny and save $20.00++ same with a modern 1990 and above comics (drek)

What if that penny gets optioned?

lol

i think there was a penny in the end credits of GOTG, i've gotta run out and see it again to make sure

Cards have fifty times the collecting base as comics? I'm not too sure about that. At one time maybe, today?

When's the last time you saw sportscards for sale anywhere? A card shop? Cards at the grocery store? I think they hit a bad spot like comics, right around the same time too, just haven't really recovered.

you have revealed a lot with this statement - thank you

while local card shops have declined significantly, there are still more of them around than comics shops , there are still as many card shows and major conventions as comics yearly in big cities and most importantly , the major card grading company (PSA) still grades close to a half million cards a year and has graded over 21 million cards total , not sure what CGC numbers are yearly or total

coins definitely have 50 times the fanbase maybe 100 time but ok cards maybe not 50 times but still way more fanbase

What if it's a smaller fanbase slabbing more cards? What if cards get slabbed with more frequency than comics by collectors because there's nothing inside to read? Why aren't CBS and Showtime announcing their next big show at a card show if they're so big? Why isn't there coverage of the card show on Spike? Or at the very least ESPN right?

Look at how many card sets Fleer prints every year.

Look at how many comic books Marvel prints every year.

Now how many sportscard publishers are there?

How many comic book publishers?

Which is selling more?

while local card shops have declined significantly, there are still more of them around than comics shops , there are still as many card shows and major conventions as comics yearly in big cities and most importantly , the major card grading company (PSA) still grades close to a half million cards a year and has graded over 21 million cards total , not sure what CGC numbers are yearly or total

coins definitely have 50 times the fanbase maybe 100 time but ok cards maybe not 50 times but still way more fanbase

If you'd like to back the highlighted statement up with some verified facts, that would be great, especially since what you're claiming doesn't seem to pass the eye test (as in, I don't see any card shops left around me, where I have half a dozen comic shops within a close driving range).

For the record, as of September 2013, Diamond reported 2638 different ordering accounts ( http://comicsbeat.com/how-many-comics-shops-are-there-diamond-had-2638-accounts-in-september-2013/ ), while as of August 2009, Forbes was reporting that there were only 500 or so card shops remaining nationwide ( http://www.forbes.com/2009/08/28/baseball-cards-economy-inflation-opinions-columnists-john-tamny.html ).

Unless card shops magically increased in number 5X in the last couple of years -- an occurrence slightly less probable than me finding Bigfoot in my backyard when I go walk my dogs tonight -- I would say that your statement doesn't hold any water, though I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong if you have any facts to show otherwise. (shrug)

If you'd like to back the highlighted statement up with some verified facts, that would be great, especially since what you're claiming doesn't seem to pass the eye test (as in, I don't see any card shops left around me, where I have half a dozen comic shops within a close driving range).

For the record, as of September 2013, Diamond reported 2638 different ordering accounts ( http://comicsbeat.com/how-many-comics-shops-are-there-diamond-had-2638-accounts-in-september-2013/ ), while as of August 2009, Forbes was reporting that there were only 500 or so card shops remaining nationwide ( http://www.forbes.com/2009/08/28/baseball-cards-economy-inflation-opinions-columnists-john-tamny.html ).

Unless card shops magically increased in number 5X in the last couple of years -- an occurrence slightly less probable than me finding Bigfoot in my backyard when I go walk my dogs tonight -- I would say that your statement doesn't hold any water, though I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong if you have any facts to show otherwise. (shrug)

"Facts are stubborn things."

Quote:

I can't take anyone seriously who can't quote a post properly

I will admit I am not skilled at computers and am aware that I do not post correctly , I am evidently of a different age group , I prefer in face to face communication but I have no other fellow collector friends as I am a new to comics after 40 years, my friends collect coins, for you to discount someone without computer skills is ok but actually quite shallow

As shallow as dogging someone for collecting moderns?

not dogging anyone for collecting them just for slabbing them do you have any knowledge whatsoever of any hobbies outside of comics? because they all have the same trends did you know that people buy brand new proof sets for $40.00 then take the bad advise and crack one the coins out of its case and pay $25.00 to NGC to get it graded hoping for a MS70 grade the coin was perfect except for 100 times magnification undetected to the human eye but NGC is never going to give a MS70 grade so now they have a $5.00 coin in a $25.00 holder and that is an example you modern comic slabbers need to know because it applies to those who have the wisdom to understand what I have just written

Does this mean that you are the daddy? What else shouldn't I do daddy? When is my allowance coming? I don't want MS 65 coins or 50's war comics, either.

but, but, daddy knows best

I was lost,but now I'm found thank you for making me see the light.I never knew my lifelong hobby was so diluted,now I feel like a load has been lifted off my shoulders.Thank you for that kind sir.

I think the word is "misled."

I AM seeing the word "lead" used in the past tense a lot lately.

Along with "pleaded."

Now, I know "pleaded" is acceptable, but it really should be "pled."

But "he lead me down the primrose path" is incorrect.