• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

so many young collectors are being mislead

596 posts in this topic

Quote:

I can't take anyone seriously who can't quote a post properly

I will admit I am not skilled at computers and am aware that I do not post correctly , I am evidently of a different age group , I prefer in face to face communication but I have no other fellow collector friends as I am a new to comics after 40 years, my friends collect coins, for you to discount someone without computer skills is ok but actually quite shallow

As shallow as dogging someone for collecting moderns?

not dogging anyone for collecting them just for slabbing them do you have any knowledge whatsoever of any hobbies outside of comics? because they all have the same trends did you know that people buy brand new proof sets for $40.00 then take the bad advise and crack one the coins out of its case and pay $25.00 to NGC to get it graded hoping for a MS70 grade the coin was perfect except for 100 times magnification undetected to the human eye but NGC is never going to give a MS70 grade so now they have a $5.00 coin in a $25.00 holder and that is an example you modern comic slabbers need to know because it applies to those who have the wisdom to understand what I have just written

Best run-on sentence of 2014.

Do you see the button at the bottom of each persons post that says "Quote"? Just push that and it will quote the message for you.

thank you ! I did not know about the quote box I have learned something new, computers are very hard for us older people, when I first moved out on my own in 1980 I couldn't even afford a land line phone but it didn't even matter life was fine without a phone

:preach:

What's a landline ?

:roflmao:

:jokealert:

Do you see the button at the bottom of each persons post that says "Quote"? Just push that and it will quote the message for you.

thank you ! I did not know about the quote box I have learned something new, computers are very hard for us older people, when I first moved out on my own in 1980 I couldn't even afford a land line phone but it didn't even matter life was fine without a phone

What's a landline ?

Better than cellphones is what they are. Scarcer and much harder to find. Not sure why anyone bothers with cell phones honestly.

You know, if you folks want people to scroll through 250 posts, you have GOT to be a LOT funnier.

:sumo:

Nonsense... If I wanted to be an , I would have pointed him in the direction of a certain other boardie who likes to pontificate about what is reasonable to collect and what is not. I think that directing him to Kav and Mitch would be like Moe and Larry finding Curly or Shemp or at the least, Curly Joe.

What's a landline ?

Better than cellphones is what they are. Scarcer and much

harder to find. Not sure why anyone bothers with cell phones honestly.

I love you.Never had or will have a cellphone.I run from my landline...why have one on my hip?

What's a landline ?

Better than cellphones is what they are. Scarcer and much

harder to find. Not sure why anyone bothers with cell phones honestly.

I love you.Never had or will have a cellphone.I run from my landline...why have one on my hip?

Luddite.

@1950’s war comics: You have been referring yourself as "older people", but you are not even sixty years old (I am 45). While it is understandable one does not feel comfortable with changing technology, especially if it gets often in the way as it does, I think age it’s not really the core problem.

A priest from my diocese started to use the computer when he retired. He was 75 years old and it was in the early 1990s. He is a writer and loved the opportunity to write, type and correct, and then prepare the layout for his own books, and then bring them to the printer himself.

Not even 15 years old were using a computer to that degree at the time, I assure you…

Not everyone feels comfortable in using telematics, but if you are enough skilled to post on an internet forum (as you are), it will be easy to learn what you deem useful for you and benefit from it. :)

As per your topic: let’s not confuse commercial value with artistic value. They do not necessarily coincide, and for that matter, there are modern comics of value, it just takes time to find them and appreciate them because the market is obviously attuned to our impoverished culture.

As far for 1950s war comics… maybe Korean war ones are very relevant, but I do agree with Comicdonna: I like war-related comics which came out during WW2 better…

For a start: try to read "Arrowsmith" by Kurt Busiek and Carlos Pacheco. It’s a bit "new agey" but you might like it… :)

@1950’s war comics: You have been referring yourself as "older people", but you are not even sixty years old (I am 45). While it is understandable one does not feel comfortable with changing technology, especially if it gets often in the way as it does, I think age it’s not really the core problem.

A priest from my diocese started to use the computer when he retired. He was 75 years old and it was in the early 1990s. He is a writer and loved the opportunity to write, type and correct, and then prepare the layout for his own books, and then bring them to the printer himself.

Not even 15 years old were using a computer to that degree at the time, I assure you…

Not everyone feels comfortable in using telematics, but if you are enough skilled to post on an internet forum (as you are), it will be easy to learn what you deem useful for you and benefit from it. :)

As per your topic: let’s not confuse commercial value with artistic value. They do not necessarily coincide, and for that matter, there are modern comics of value, it just takes time to find them and appreciate them because the market is obviously attuned to our impoverished culture.

As far for 1950s war comics… maybe Korean war ones are very relevant, but I do agree with Comicdonna: I like war-related comics which came out during WW2 better…

For a start: try to read "Arrowsmith" by Kurt Busiek and Carlos Pacheco. It’s a bit "new agey" but you might like it… :)

Thank you kindly and can you tell me how to put up a picture of a comic on these boards? I have tried and cannot

Thank you kindly and can you tell me how to put up a picture of a comic on these boards? I have tried and cannot

Go to the "Noob Guide" at the top of Comics General. It will walk you through a bunch of that stuff, but it is a bit confusing…

Thank you again sir and I collect comics for their cool covers and to complete runs. I am an avid reader also but I read military history , I have just finished a book on Anzio ... is that anywhere near where you live? it was a very interesting battle, my next book will be on the retreat from Gettysburg.

Very easy: first, the picture must be on the Internet.

If it is not, you can upload it from your computer by registering (for free) to some image hosting site, like Imgur or Photobucket:

http://imgur.com/

http://photobucket.com/

Both offer free service (paid service grants you more web space and features).

When you are registered, you just have to look for the "upload" function/button/menu item (whatever) within the site interface, and you can start to upload images from your computer. The site will prompt you with a request on where it should locate the pictures, you just have to point it to the folder (or desktop folder) where you are storing the picture, and click "OK". A little time and the picture will be uploaded.

Then, when it is uploaded, both sites offer different options to display the picture at various sizes. I find Imgur more handy because it allows you to post the pic at various sizes on the fly. Typically the syntax of the text required to post a picture on a forum is the following:

[img=http://www.bleedingcool.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/arrowsmith.jpg]

which gives this result:

arrowsmith.jpg

I have used an image from a site (and from the series I suggested you) as an example, but of course your Imgur or Photobucket image will have its own address.

You can post whatever image you want from the web: you just need its address, and ensure it’s between the IMG opening and closing tags I showed you above. :)

you have revealed a lot with this statement - thank you

while local card shops have declined significantly, there are still more of them around than comics shops , there are still as many card shows and major conventions as comics yearly in big cities and most importantly , the major card grading company (PSA) still grades close to a half million cards a year and has graded over 21 million cards total , not sure what CGC numbers are yearly or total

coins definitely have 50 times the fanbase maybe 100 time but ok cards maybe not 50 times but still way more fanbase

If you'd like to back the highlighted statement up with some verified facts, that would be great, especially since what you're claiming doesn't seem to pass the eye test (as in, I don't see any card shops left around me, where I have half a dozen comic shops within a close driving range).

For the record, as of September 2013, Diamond reported 2638 different ordering accounts ( http://comicsbeat.com/how-many-comics-shops-are-there-diamond-had-2638-accounts-in-september-2013/ ), while as of August 2009, Forbes was reporting that there were only 500 or so card shops remaining nationwide ( http://www.forbes.com/2009/08/28/baseball-cards-economy-inflation-opinions-columnists-john-tamny.html ).

Unless card shops magically increased in number 5X in the last couple of years -- an occurrence slightly less probable than me finding Bigfoot in my backyard when I go walk my dogs tonight -- I would say that your statement doesn't hold any water, though I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong if you have any facts to show otherwise. (shrug)

Ok, in my city (the capitol) there are still as many cards shops as comic stores (about four of each but the comics stores only carry moderns) I am a member of PSA card grading company as well as CGC . but you win cards might not have 10/50 times the fan base as comics.

@1950s war comics and Chris: Arrowsmith is pretty awesome.

Busiek and Pacheco are great, the only thing I don’t like is some implicit "new age" kind of statement Pacheco incorporates in the story, but it is a unique comic, and it captures the mood of World War I without being actually set in World War I.

It can be loosely categorized as "fantasy", but goes beyond that. It basically asks the question: what if the first World War was fought by means of magic? And what if someone used black magic thinking he can control it? (There is a highly dramatic scene which I won’t spoil when the leading character discovers this).

Among modern comics, this is one of the few which encompasses its age. A modern classic, so to speak, although I am partial to Carlos Pacheco’s run on the Fantastic Four, where he managed to do the impossible before Marvel went pretty much downhill… :)

Very easy: first, the picture must be on the Internet.

If it is not, you can upload it from your computer by registering (for free) to some image hosting site, like Imgur or Photobucket:

http://imgur.com/

http://photobucket.com/

Both offer free service (paid service grants you more web space and features).

When you are registered, you just have to look for the "upload" function/button/menu item (whatever) within the site interface, and you can start to upload images from your computer. The site will prompt you with a request on where it should locate the pictures, you just have to point it to the folder (or desktop folder) where you are storing the picture, and click "OK". A little time and the picture will be uploaded.

Then, when it is uploaded, both sites offer different options to display the picture at various sizes. I find Imgur more handy because it allows you to post the pic at various sizes on the fly. Typically the syntax of the text required to post a picture on a forum is the following:

[img=http://www.bleedingcool.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/arrowsmith.jpg]

which gives this result:

arrowsmith.jpg

I have used an image from a site (and from the series I suggested you) as an example, but of course your Imgur or Photobucket image will have its own address.

You can post whatever image you want from the web: you just need its address, and ensure it’s between the IMG opening and closing tags I showed you above. :)

thank you but I have finally learned to put a cropped photo of my comic into my registry which was pretty easy.. can't I just put that same photo on this chatboard just as easily? (from : my pictures)

What's a landline ?

Better than cellphones is what they are. Scarcer and much harder to find. Not sure why anyone bothers with cell phones honestly.

I notice payphones are disappearing as well.

personalpayphone-t-01.jpg

Technology sure has made things change fast.