• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

so many young collectors are being mislead

596 posts in this topic

Pat is right: you need to recognize the overall value, even if you don’t like the music genre. You also can’t prescind from time, culture, general context when making evaluations in a balanced way.

That’s what I was saying to 1950s war comics about the comics: sometimes direct comparision are difficult, if you are not careful they are very misleading.

The Beatles: not a big fan either, but when you listen to the 1968 albums from The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and The Kinks, you get a great picture of the moment. :)

My favorites must be "While my guitar gently weeps" and "Sympathy for the devil" but overall I just love the Kinks lyrics.

Anyone else notice the parallels between the rock n roll industry compared to the comic book industry in that most of all the big mainstream rock acts and mainstream comic book keys happened between 1961 to 1994?

It also seems like rock n roll looks to have been hit harder in the modern era then comic books have.

An example for me is I can at least name some new modern comic book hits like Saga, and The Walking Dead, but I can`t really name one new big modern rock group that came out these last 5 years. hm

btw I love rock. I guess I have been out of the rock and roll loop since the mid-1990s(Nirvana and the other grunge acts).

Hall and Oates I've seen a few times. I've seen +live+ about 25 times, Rush about 15 times, Phil Collins about 10 times, Genesis a few times, Pink Floyd once, hrm...let's see...I went to the big Faith No More/Metallica/GnR show once though it was only for Metallica. We also had a big thing in Central New York called the K-Rock-a-Thon where I saw a lot of "alternative" bands, including Staind and Evanescence before they were big. I was into Drowning Pool a lot then and went just to see them but it was a bonus that other groups were on the same stage. The show lasted for like 15 hours or something. One band I've never seen live is Marillion, and they're my favorite of all time.

Peace,

Chip

I have a case of Major Inapak from the fifties if you want them. lol
:takeit: via pm.

Sorry, but someone already posted :takeit: before you.

But I don't think he recited the Pledge of Allegiance, backwards, standing on his head, so it was still up for grabs.

I think there was already a negotiation going on via PM... time to check timestamps...

Hall and Oates I've seen a few times. I've seen +live+ about 25 times, Rush about 15 times, Phil Collins about 10 times, Genesis a few times, Pink Floyd once, hrm...let's see...I went to the big Faith No More/Metallica/GnR show once though it was only for Metallica. We also had a big thing in Central New York called the K-Rock-a-Thon where I saw a lot of "alternative" bands, including Staind and Evanescence before they were big. I was into Drowning Pool a lot then and went just to see them but it was a bonus that other groups were on the same stage. The show lasted for like 15 hours or something. One band I've never seen live is Marillion, and they're my favorite of all time.

Peace,

Chip

Huh, who have I seen live?...

Hall & Oates; Duran Duran; The Cure; REM; Metallica a handful of times, once with G'n'R; P-Funk All-Stars a few times; Ween as much as I could; The Grateful Dead 20-something times; Aerosmith; War; Ice Cube; De La Soul; The Eagles; Rolling Stones; The National; Radiohead...can't think of any others right now...

I could begin to list all of the bands I have seen live...but it would end up being a post like greggy's Strawberry Shortcake and I might get a wrist-slap.

I could begin to list all of the bands I have seen live...but it would end up being a post like greggy's Strawberry Shortcake and I might get a wrist-slap.

It's scary how many bands I've seen in my lifetime.Hell in one weekend in the summer of 1983 I went to the US Festival in San Bernardino,Calif. there were 40 bands from Van Halen,Judas Priest,Scorpions,Ozzy etc to David Bowie,Willie Nelson.

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Peace,

Chip

Hall & Oates; Duran Duran; The Cure; REM; Metallica a handful of times, once with G'n'R; P-Funk All-Stars a few times; Ween as much as I could; The Grateful Dead 20-something times; Aerosmith; War; Ice Cube; De La Soul; The Eagles; Rolling Stones; The National; Radiohead...can't think of any others right now...

O yeah...Bob Dylan, B.B. King, Hubert Sumlin, Black Sheep, Little Feat, Queensryche...

I like K&TG too, they're awesome. But calling Dylan and the GG spoon?....Next you're gonna say the Beatles suk.

Nope, I love the Beatles. They were actually great.

Lump Marley in with Dylan, The Dead and the Stones...worthless overrated no-talent crapola.

Peace,

Chip

I guess music is like art, that everyone has different tastes. At least it gives us something to argue over a couple of beers. (thumbs u

Tell me about Phish, the Smiths, Jimmy Buffett and Billy Joel

how old are you? 60?

Not even 40 lol

someone was debating me that there are more comic shops than there are sportscards shops, and even though it was off topic I had originally said that sportscards was a much larger hobby than comics fanbase wise, I am no longer arguing this point as I was willing to concede they may be closer to equal nowadays, and I was giving the other guy the benefit of there maybe being more comic shops than there really is,,, that's all

Gotta give it to you for stamina. Most OPs would have abandoned this thread by now.

My 2c, keep in mind just how much experience, history, and knowledge many of these boardies have. There are several extraordinarily knowledgeable folks on this board, so maybe considering some of their opinions is worth your time.

Untitled-1-1.jpg

(worship)

I like K&TG too, they're awesome. But calling Dylan and the GG spoon?....Next you're gonna say the Beatles suk.

Nope, I love the Beatles. They were actually great.

Lump Marley in with Dylan, The Dead and the Stones...worthless overrated no-talent crapola.

Peace,

Chip

I guess music is like art, that everyone has different tastes. At least it gives us something to argue over a couple of beers. (thumbs u

Tell me about Phish, the Smiths, Jimmy Buffett and Billy Joel

how old are you? 60?

Not even 40 12 lol

Fixed

Peace,

Chip

O yeah...Bob Dylan, B.B. King, Hubert Sumlin, Black Sheep, Little Feat, Queensryche...

I always wanted to see Hubert Sumlin. I ran out of time. :sorry: