• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone seen a creator be a jerk?
2 2

422 posts in this topic

MIke Baron has been the only person to every actually pissed me off. I went to have him sign a copy of my Flash #1 and he rolled his eyes at me said nothing and signed it on the inside like he was ashamed of it. If you want some to care about your new book on Jazz I guess you shouldn't act like an , I might of actually asked about it. From what I saw the rest of the convention he pretty much got no traffic. Now I don't know whether to throw or give the book away.

James O'barr was definitely off putting but I had heard that going in.

Met O'Barr at Heroes Con1994. This year was undoubtedly the highlight of his fame. New Crow movie came out... all kinds of merchandising $$$ to be made by him... everyone wanted to meet him...

... and it felt like he hated every minute of it. :( I mean he wasn't rude or mean... just that he really would have been happier if his book hadn't have taken off. If that makes any sense (shrug)

I asked him to sign a Crow movie and please personalize it to one of my friends as a gift...

He said (in his vampire-ish voice)... " I will sign it any way you so desire " :o

If this was back in '94, then that was probably the worst time to catch him. He mentioned in an interview, he was really upset and depressed about Brandon Lee's death and didn't feel right at all making all the new money that came along with the notoriety. Even mentioned that he gave his share of the movie profits away.

Not a creator as such, but I met Adam West (a real childhood hero) at a con a few years ago and he couldn't have been nicer. He had long lines but took time to chat with everybody. A real class act IMHO.

Fortunately there are probably more good guys and gals then bad :grin:
I imagine it's true. They're living their dream. Maybe they dreamed it would pay a little better and they'd have more time off, but regardless, they aren't fry cooks. I think all but a very few creators with a story circulating about them probably just had an off day, and it happens to us all. But surely there's a jerk or two as well.

That is weird

What about RAW-will he sign RAW?

The signing had two rules.

1. Two book limit.

2. One of the books had to be from the last 15 years. Republications do not count.

Within twenty minutes of the signing Art stopped signing books and yelled about how there were more signed copies than unsigned copies of Maus in circulation and that this is why he doesn't agree to signings. This was a reaction to someone bringing book 1 and book 2 of Maus to get signed.

I wonder why that matters to him? So what?

Maybe like a famous singer or song writer that keeps getting asked to sing the same song from 25 years ago, over and over again, he just wants someone to bring him something else he's done.

If he is going to bother showing up to a signing he should expect that he will be signing things. Who cares if it is Maus or someone's Tshirt. Shouldn't he be appreciative that people like his work? I guess I just don't get it.

True, but I guess it depends on the signing. I've seen plenty of book tours where the only thing being signed is whatever new release they are pumping. Same goes for celebs at some conventions. They'll only sign items from the new movie, tv show, whatever they are promoting.

Personally, I'd be happy that people came out to see me and are my fans.

I'm your fan.

Will you sign my moobs?

That is weird

What about RAW-will he sign RAW?

The signing had two rules.

1. Two book limit.

2. One of the books had to be from the last 15 years. Republications do not count.

Within twenty minutes of the signing Art stopped signing books and yelled about how there were more signed copies than unsigned copies of Maus in circulation and that this is why he doesn't agree to signings. This was a reaction to someone bringing book 1 and book 2 of Maus to get signed.

I wonder why that matters to him? So what?

Maybe like a famous singer or song writer that keeps getting asked to sing the same song from 25 years ago, over and over again, he just wants someone to bring him something else he's done.

If he is going to bother showing up to a signing he should expect that he will be signing things. Who cares if it is Maus or someone's Tshirt. Shouldn't he be appreciative that people like his work? I guess I just don't get it.

True, but I guess it depends on the signing. I've seen plenty of book tours where the only thing being signed is whatever new release they are pumping. Same goes for celebs at some conventions. They'll only sign items from the new movie, tv show, whatever they are promoting.

Personally, I'd be happy that people came out to see me and are my fans.

I'm your fan.

Will you sign my moobs?

Now in that example I can understand someone not wanting to sign a part of your body, but I still don't see why it matters if the fans bring the 100,000th copy of Maus to sign. You would think they would be happy to sign and keep the fan happy that is buying the product.

Now if the creator isn't being paid for the time in anyway, then perhaps don't attend funtions.

Someone asked for an anecdote about a comic artists' agent.

There's one over here who's been a little jerkish with me, three conventions in a row now, all because of an unforgivable faux pas that I committed about 4 years ago. I'll get to that later.

Basically, every time he sees me at the convention he'll angrily veer away, rushing off as fast as possible. The aggression in it is quite astonishing to observe. Well, this behaviour doesn't really get in the way of my con stuff, so I just find it pathetically humorous. This happens maybe a dozen times throughout the show, so it must get quite tiring for him over the long haul.

However, as I was checking out of the hotel on the Monday after the event, as several comic artists were in the process of doing the same, hanging out around reception, the agent appeared again. He sees the group of creators on the opposite side to me and angrily barges straight into me, pushing past in order to somewhat desperately attempt to look important and powerful in association with these very, very talented individuals. One of the hotel guests looked a bit taken aback, so I explained...

'Oh, that. He's always having hissy-fit tantrums with me just because I didn't send him an email after a convention, about 4 years ago - that's all. Deeply insecure.'

Then, I was off to catch a train.

Robert Kirkman was great when I met him, in 2006.

Nice chat, gave me a free, signed copy of the Walking Dead Volume 2 trade paperback.

I saw a "bad Ron Frenz" story, but my experience was the exact opposite - very engaged, did free sketches for kids, loved talking comics and Kirby.

That is odd. I've never heard a bad thing about him and he was very friendly when I met him years ago.

Fortunately there are probably more good guys and gals then bad :grin:
I imagine it's true. They're living their dream. Maybe they dreamed it would pay a little better and they'd have more time off, but regardless, they aren't fry cooks. I think all but a very few creators with a story circulating about them probably just had an off day, and it happens to us all. But surely there's a jerk or two as well.

Most of these guys that have been talked about all seem to come from the same popular comic book period that ended somewhere in the 90s. They just happened to be in the right place at the right time to gain their fame in comic book history. Most of these hot artists from the 1980s and 90s wouldn`t have the same popular status if they started out with today`s much smaller comic book audience. They are lucky they have old fans who still care about them to line up to get their sig. New comic book artists would dream to be so lucky. 2c

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Thankfully I've never had a bad experience, other than some creators not being very engaging. But we all have bad days.

The nicest people I've met though:

Gary Erskine - a true gent, really warm and very chatty.

Jordie Bellaire - a genuinely nice person, who took time to talk to everyone she met. A class act.

Kieron Gillen

Declan Shalvey

Emma Rios

Garth Ennis

Goran Parlov - recognized me from getting my books signed and came over to chat to me while he was having a smoke. He's a funny guy.

John McCrea

Edited by Revol

I'm a fan of J.Scott campbell, not really big on getting books signed. I met him at a small local show in Denver and just brought two books to be signed ( just for the heck of it).

I bought a print from his booth and he asked if I wanted it signed and I politely said no thanks. I think this put him off a little. But I did ask if he'd sign my two other books. (They were $3 books nothing worth signing.)

So I POLITELY asked if he would sign them smaller than he normally does. His sigs are usually big. I guess he took offense to my request and signed them HUGE!

I didn't get pissed, I really didn't want anything signed anyway but I dumped them in the trash that was across from his booth.

Elvis

Walt Simonson. Back in 2006, I asked him to draw VALIANT's Armstrong for a quick sketch and he said "I don't remember if I know how to draw him or not."

He takes the paper from me and sketches out a great, big shot of Armstrong for me, and this was after his "handler" said he wasn't going to be sketching today.

Oh, wait... that was him being nice as hell, one of the better old, grizzled guys I have ever met in the comic book industry. My bad...

Let's see... Sean Chen, no... he was nice... Rodney Ramos did tell me if he ever saw the "sketch" he did for me of Bloodshot on eBay, he'd kill me, and while I don't think he was joking, he wasn't being a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed... hmm...

Ooh! Chris Claremont opened up my GN#5 (X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills) so he could sign it on the inside, as I requested, so far that I could see the old glue in the binding stretch and snap like old rubber bands, forever insuring it will never be a 9.8. Completely by accident of course, so I guess that doesn't work either...

Dang, I've never had a bad experience nor seen a writer or artist act like a jerk to anyone else.

:foryou:

-slym

On 8/12/2014 at 7:49 PM, Wrightson fan said:

Before I opened this thread I automatically thought of my interaction with BWS, and lo and behold, your post was about him as well. I have met a ton of creators in my life, and he was hands down the biggest horse's I have come into contact with.

It was at Heroes Con about 25 years ago and there weren't any other attendees at his table. He had a sign on his table that stated he would sign 3 books only, which is not a problem with me. I walked up with my 3 books and stood there as he had a conversation with someone to his right, (another creator). I waited, and I waited, and he continued to ignore me. I was patient and chose to not be rude by attempting to interrupt him by saying hello. He had not yet looked at me, but then spoke in my direction without looking in my direction. He said "I will sign 3 books and 3 books only." He had not looked to see that I had 3 books on the table. He pulled the books over, while continuing his conversation with the other creator, his head still turned to the right. He signed the 3 books and did not try to make eye contact with me...did not speak to me, acted like I was not even there. Once they were signed he put down his marker and continued his conversation. I had to reach over and get the books myself. He did not look at me once.

Let me just say that I no longer own the books as I could care less.

Most creators are truly grateful and considerate of their fans, but BWS truly feels he is above his.

Since he refused to look at you you should have just walked off without paying.  I knew one guy who was a shoplifter.  He would target stores with hot girl clerks and since they pride themselves on ignoring men his job was a cake walk.

On 8/14/2014 at 11:45 AM, F For Fake said:

I've had the pleasure of talking with Mr. Aragnoes twice, and he couldn't have been nicer either time. Totally great guy.

Yeah Sergio is a strong personality but tons of charm and goodwill in that guy from what I have observed. I get the impression that he does not suffer fools gladly though.

Anyone who got stiffed by a creator contact me and I'll draw the god damn thing!!!!