• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone seen a creator be a jerk?
2 2

422 posts in this topic

I still say that George Perez is a fan of the fans. I have never seen anyone top his energy, personality nor his work ethic at shows.

Plus he draws impossible stuff. Half the panels in Avengers vs JLA if I saw the panel descriptions I would tell the writer 'that can't be drawn'.

Both Brandon and Bruce died making a movie about a guy who comes back from the dead.

They ran out of dummy bullets so they emptied the powder and put the slugs back in. When the gun was fired there was a small pop no one noticed. The primer had enough force to send the slug into the barrel. Then when they used blanks for another scene, blanks have a full load of powder....

Bruce Lee died from being shot with a blank? Or are you talking about another Bruce?

From my experience, Todd McFarlane was arrogant. Refused to sign anything unless it was a scheduled signing. So if you waited all day in a hallway to catch him, he would tell you to kick rocks.

During one of his signings he stayed later than the scheduled time to get everyone, which I thought was really cool. When I made it up to him I said "Thank you for staying, I really appreciate it!" Without even looking up he mumbled "yeah", signed my book and just moved them along.

Chris Claremont was cordial but bored and dismissive. Bendis was similar but not as bad.

Every interaction I've had with Rob Liefeld has been positive. When I told him I thought he was one of the nicer ones he was actually surprised.

Matt Fraction is one of the coolest along with Sylvestri (and Bridget) and Whilce Portacio too.

Both Brandon and Bruce died making a movie about a guy who comes back from the dead.

They ran out of dummy bullets so they emptied the powder and put the slugs back in. When the gun was fired there was a small pop no one noticed. The primer had enough force to send the slug into the barrel. Then when they used blanks for another scene, blanks have a full load of powder....

Bruce Lee died from being shot with a blank? Or are you talking about another Bruce?

Pretty sure he was talking about Brandon.

I give Liefeld a LOT of credit for the way he interacts with fans while he is fully aware of the abuse that he takes from them behind his back.

Yes, some of the critique is warranted (the Cap image comes to mind) but the guy has become a comic book punching bag meme. It's like the fashionable thing to do for some to beat up on the guy.

Meanwhile, he seems to thoroughly enjoy interacting with fans whereas some other creators view it as a chore or just part of the job.

I give Liefeld a LOT of credit for the way he interacts with fans while he is fully aware of the abuse that he takes from them behind his back.

Yes, some of the critique is warranted (the Cap image comes to mind) but the guy has become a comic book punching bag meme. It's like the fashionable thing to do for some to beat up on the guy.

Meanwhile, he seems to thoroughly enjoy interacting with fans whereas some other creators view it as a chore or just part of the job.

Yup

From my experience really nice creators are/were:

Ernie Chan (RiP)

Sergio Aragones (nicest guy in comics)

Mark Schultz

Mike Mignola (signs everything official Hellboy related)

Roy Thomas

Kelley Jones

George Perez

Steve Englehart

Jose Ladronn ("Final Incal")

Kevin O'Neal

Brian Bolland

Simon Bisley (a bit like a rock star, but cool)

Kevin Eastman

Colin Wilson

Adam Hughes (seems to be a nice guy, don't know about his wife though)

Eduardo Risso

A bit a strange are:

Neal Adams

($20.00 for a signature ? $10.00 for a photo?, seems to think he is the greatest)

Amanda Connor (comes of a bit arrogant, no sketching for fans at NYCC)

William Tucci and David Mack are awesome. One of them (I think it was Mack ... it was a long time ago) had a bad cold at the show I saw him at. He refused to leave, tho, because he knew that fans had come to the show to see him, and he still drew a free sketch in my sketchbook.

Jim Sterenko was really nice when I met him at a show. Same with Marty Nodell.

I've met Frank Cho a couple of times at shows, and he was pleasant both times. Not overly friendly, but not rude, either.

Gene Ha used to have you do something nice for someone else if you wanted a sketch from him. He was a little disappointed when the guy he choose for me to do something nice for only wanted a Coke from the snack bar. lol.

I've heard terrible things about Joe Linsner, but he was friendly the time I met him and got a sketch from him in my book.

I've only really had two bad experiences with artists at shows. I was attending a bigger show (I think it was Motor City) and Ron Frenz was a guest. There wasn't anybody at his table, and I walked up and asked him to do a sketch. He asked if I had anything specific in mind, and I told him, no, he could draw whatever he wanted. He got annoyed and said "You don't have any idea what I draw, do you?"

The other was Dan Brereton. Biggest horse's I've ever met at a show. Mind you, I was still (more or less) a kid -- probably 16 or 17 at the time. Had my sketchbook with me, and asked him if he'd be willing to draw something for me. He complained to me about "people always wanting something for free" when a) I was purchasing a print from him, b) he didn't have any kinds of signage about sketch prices and c) this was back when most artists didn't charge for sketches, at least not from kids.

He then snatched my sketchbook out of my hand, flipped through it, and made snarky comments about the previous entries -- how they weren't good sketches at all, and how little effort the artists had put into drawing them -- and then did what I felt (and still feel) like was a really crappy, hurried, POS sketch.

Pretty sure he was talking about Brandon.

Yep Brandon. Bruce died from 'misadventure'-a brain swelling from taking equigesic

That is weird

What about RAW-will he sign RAW?

The signing had two rules.

1. Two book limit.

2. One of the books had to be from the last 15 years. Republications do not count.

Within twenty minutes of the signing Art stopped signing books and yelled about how there were more signed copies than unsigned copies of Maus in circulation and that this is why he doesn't agree to signings. This was a reaction to someone bringing book 1 and book 2 of Maus to get signed.

I wonder why that matters to him? So what?

I saw Neal Adams for the first time a few years ago. A kid walks up to him (around 10 years old) and shows him a picture he drew of Batman. Neal says you gotta keep practicing kid, with a snarl. I was flabbergasted. I felt like saying something to him. I honestly hope I never see something like that again. I will say something next time! Sometimes, the ego gets in the way and people are filled with ignorance. I've seen him elsewhere, and he seems ok. Even if you're having a bad day, c'mon.

Michael Golden was a tool.

I really love his art, but I didn't appreciate the way he was.

I try to forget about it.

I was a fan of his work, and was a bit nervous to meet him, I'm sure he could see that… So I asked generic questions expecting him to just be nice to a fan, just to get some confidence up... I asked, "What are your favourite characters to draw", to which he replied, "None", so it was instantly awkward… I replied, "What do you mean?"… and his response was, "It's just a JOB, it's just a pay cheque… that's ALL". Needless to say I was a bit speechless to that. Prior to this 'discussion', I approached his table with some paper for a commission and when I asked, "What do you charge for commissions?" he didn't even look at me once, and responded with, "I don't deal with any of that… deal with Renee". I'll never understand why somebody would fly to the UK to just speak to fans like that.

It's not the worst experience, but I still think it wasn't cool.

Edit: The commission I got was great, so I wasn't left unsatisfied with the money I paid, but I traveled over expecting to meet a hero is all.

Edited by LloydJBailey

Man loud mouth Kav needs to go to some conventions. I don't tolerate rudeness. To:

"What are your favourite characters to draw", to which he replied, "None",

My reply would have been 'it shows'

That is weird

What about RAW-will he sign RAW?

The signing had two rules.

1. Two book limit.

2. One of the books had to be from the last 15 years. Republications do not count.

Within twenty minutes of the signing Art stopped signing books and yelled about how there were more signed copies than unsigned copies of Maus in circulation and that this is why he doesn't agree to signings. This was a reaction to someone bringing book 1 and book 2 of Maus to get signed.

I wonder why that matters to him? So what?

Maybe like a famous singer or song writer that keeps getting asked to sing the same song from 25 years ago, over and over again, he just wants someone to bring him something else he's done.

I have read a few things about Frank Cho in this thread, and my interaction with Frank was positive. We had a mini forum dinner after a show in Arlington several years ago, and one of the guys attending, Jeff (Stronguy), asked Frank to have dinner with us. Frank was kind of quiet, but was polite, and it was cool getting to chat with him. I guess we all have bad days, but Frank was just one of the guys that evening.