• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Shazam' movie official thread (because he deserves one too)
3 3

1,885 posts in this topic

So who would be the villain of the first movie, Dr Sivana?  I adore the character, but don't see a goofy mad scientist as the villain unless the movie is all-ages.  Maybe he'll build and lose control of Mr Atom as the main conflict?

The problem with that approach and Shazam/Captain Marvel is that the general public does teally know the character at all. If you thought that Ant-Man and Dr. Strange were relative unknowns, Shazam is even more of a mystery. If they do not get a strong cast in place I can see this movie tanking at the box office.

One way they could raise the profile is to introduce Billy Batson as a kid in the JL movie. Maybe he gets hurt as a bystander at a battle and Superman saves him from being killed? At least that would introduce him to the movie audience. Have Clark visit him and reveal his secret like in the panel above to start off the Shazam movie. Then show him getting his powers and learning how to use them with some mentoring from Supes. Then end the movie with Shazam and Superman getting knocked out of sky and have Black Adam hovering above them.

And ten years from now when more characters have been introduced, give us a great live action Kingdom Come trilogy please!

It's not like the general public knew who the characters in half the Marvel movies (or Suicide Squad) even. Won't matter.

It's all in the -script.

Make a solid well-written movie.

Then intro Black Adam in the sequel.

See what Nolan did with his Batman trilogy -- origin story in the first, holding back the Joker until the second one.

The Shazam Director Just Hilariously Trolled Fans With First Sketch From The Movie

edde9f9056210a66eace3dee29f15a518b198bdc

One of the most exciting upcoming solo movies of the bunch is David Sandberg's Shazam, which is set to begin principal photography early next year. Development of the film appears to be going reasonably well, but it seems that Sandberg just trolled fans with an (admittedly rudimentary) sketch of what the titular hero could potentially look like when the film finally premieres.

Of course, Sandberg made sure to note that this design doesn't represent what the character will precisely look like, writing in a twitter post that linked to the above image.

"As long as you don't forget this is a work in progress!!"

On 7/22/2017 at 3:36 PM, Gatsby77 said:

It's not like the general public knew who the characters in half the Marvel movies (or Suicide Squad) even. Won't matter.

It's all in the --script.

Make a solid well-written movie.

Then intro Black Adam in the sequel.

See what Nolan did with his Batman trilogy -- origin story in the first, holding back the Joker until the second one.

Yeah, but Nolan was working with Batman. Shazam is nowhere near as well known as Batman. 

I think the smart way to play this is to give Billy or Shazam a cameo in the JL movie somehow. Heck, even a Daily Planet front story article with a picture and caption "Is Superman back?" with a photo of Shazam lifting a large object is all you need. Marvel would somehow weave a teaser cameo in, which is what DC needs to do to get the casual movie goer wondering who Shazam is and intrigued a bit.

3 hours ago, kimik said:

Yeah, but Nolan was working with Batman. Shazam is nowhere near as well known as Batman. 

Doesn't matter.

Don't forget that Nolan resurrected Batman after two painfully bad franchise-killing disasters of Batman Forever and Batman and Robin.

Any superhero film can be done right if the story is good. The key is to get the origin story out of the way in the first film so the second film can focus on a bigger world (and iconic villain counterpart).

Director David Sandberg Speaks To Finding The Proper Tone And Getting To Know The Rich History Of SHAZAM

shazam.jpg

While horror seems the be his bread and butter, Sandberg recently spoke to switching things up with Shazam. Speaking to MovieFone, the director revealed how Shazam will be different in terms of tone. "This will be very different than what I've done in the feature space, because it's not a horror movie and it's a much lighter tone," Sandberg explained. "But it's something that I look forward to trying out, even though I plan to return to horror in some fashion. My background, back in Sweden, before I started doing horror shorts, I was doing animated comedy shorts. It's not totally alien to me to have more of a comedy approach. I look forward to taking that on in a feature."

He then went on to talk about diving into the history of Billy Batson, A.K.A. Shazam, as well as just now getting to know the character. "It wasn't a character I grew up with. It was published in Sweden, where I'm from, in the '70s, so it's a little before my time. So I only knew him from the Justice League," he said. "It's not until now that I'm getting into the comics and reading a lot of the old ones, the Geoff Johns ones, 'The Power of Shazam,' and looking at a bunch of animation. So I'm really getting to know the character."

Another aspect that Sandberg spoke about was confirming that the Shazam film will be developed by New Line Cinema, a Warner Brothers' company, but not the parent company directly. Sandberg said of New Line, "They've been awesome. I will keep making movies with them as long as they want me."

comics_captain_marvel_01.gif

Smallville's Alan Ritchson Wants In On Shazam!

shazam-alan-ritchson-smallville-1013946.

Alan Ritchson, who is best known for playing Arthur Curry/Aquaman in Smallville, recently began campaigning for the role through social media. This came after a fan pointed out that the rendering of Shazam shown in the DC Films San Diego Comic-Con panel looked pretty similar to Ritchson.

sOEtJFq.jpg

In the days since, Ritchson has shared multiple pieces of fan art of him in the role, including one that you can check out below.

rjbSKAJ.jpg

Since the days of Smallville, Ritchson has appeared in The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Black Mirror, and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reboot films. It's unclear if he will extend his talents to Shazam!, especially considering the cryptic response the potential casting received from its director, David F. Sandberg.

DD8UBI0.jpg

I'm liking this Shazam director. What a poker face he must have.

lol

On 8/7/2017 at 2:56 PM, Action252Kid said:

I have nothing against him, but he was only in four Smallville episodes, so the whole "best known for his role in Smallville" line always sounds funny to me!  

lol

Shazam! Director Says Casting News Is Coming Soon

Sandberg is tantalizing fans again, this time telling Entertainment Tonight that casting announcements for Shazam! are coming "hopefully soon."

There are presently very few confirmed details about the upcoming movie that will tell the story Billy Batson, a boy given the power to transform into the adult superhero Captain Marvel, also known as Shazam, by uttering the magical word "shazam."

Dwayne Johnson had previously said that he would be playing the film's villain, Black Adam, but DC Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns later clarified that while Johnson would be playing Black Adam, it wouldn't be for Shazam!

"We haven't announced any casting yet, but Dwayne isn't going to be in this movie. He's still doing Black Adam, but he won't be in Shazam!" Johns told Yahoo.

The film is intended to be an origin story for the character, considering that many moviegoers and even Sandberg himself aren't as familiar with Billy Batson. Despite this, Sandberg is excited to be bringing the character to the DCEU.

"To be honest, it was not a superhero I grew up with either. When I grew up in Sweden, there wasn't a lot of Shazam around. So, it's someone who I've learned to love later in life as well, so I can relate to [people who are] new to Shazam," Sandberg said. "I think [it] might be a good thing that I'm doing it, because I know what you need to learn."

Boom goes Whiz Comics #2lol

Obviously Black Adam will fight Shazam in the movie at some point.  I understand the reasoning behind not showing up in the first movie but it will happen in the future.  They have to establish Shazam as his own character/movie first.  If Black Adam showed up he would destroy Shazam before he could even say "Shazam!!!":makepoint:.

On 8/7/2017 at 0:56 PM, Action252Kid said:

I have nothing against him, but he was only in four Smallville episodes, so the whole "best known for his role in Smallville" line always sounds funny to me!  

And he did not deliver a great performance in any of those Smallville episodes, so betting a franchise on him is a non-starter. Just because he may somewhat look the part does not mean he can act. 2c

I guess casting news should be coming very soon.

'Shazam!' Director Teases Film Will Shoot Soon

Sandberg was speaking with Collider about the release of Annabelle: Creation during which he revealed when he’s starting work on Shazam!

“Pretty much going into Shazam right away,” Sandberg said. “I mean my life’s just become so weird because I got to do Lights Out and immediately afterward I got to do Annabelle and now I’m going straight into Shazam, so it’s like I’m on a roll so let’s just keep going until they kick me out of Hollywood.”

Since he’s not taking any time off, it seems like filming could be imminent on the Shazam! movie… but Sandberg wouldn’t say. He said he didn’t know if the dates were official yet, but teased that “it's coming up.”

Speaking about why Warner Bros. turned to him and Wan for superhero movies when they’re known for horror films, Sandberg said it likely has to do with the difficulty in making a scary movie.

“I think horror… There’s sort of a trend almost of giving these bigger movies to horror directors and I think that horror is quite a hard genre to master so I think if you can do horror you can pretty much take on a lot of other things. It’s technically challenging to get right,” Sandberg said.

Rumor: 'Shazam!' Screen-testing Actors For Billy Batson

A new rumor for the film states that Sandberg is currently conducting screen tests for the part of Billy Batson, possibly looking to discover an unknown child actor for the role.

The rumor from Moviehole states that Henry Gayden’s --script is “a beautifully balanced tone of superhero adventure antics and welcome humor,” akin to Spider-Man: Homecoming and Ant-Man.

Given the nature of the film’s lead character being portrayed by both a child and an adult, Sandberg will also likely be looking at casting a established name for the character Shazam!

Edited by Bosco685

John Cena and Joshua Sasse Rumored Frontrunners for 'Shazam!'

shazam-john-cena-joshua-sasse-1018713-32

A new report from That Hashtag Show hints at two possible candidates to play the older, superpowered version of Billy Batson. According to their sources, John Cena and Joshua Sasse are the tenative frontrunners for the part. The film's previously rumored screentests have reportedly spawned "a third, dark horse contender" for the lead role, but they have "seemingly fallen out of favor".

While many recognize Cena from his wrestling career, he has since made a jump into acting with scene-stealing appearances in films like Trainwreck and Sisters. He since has expanded his filmography to starring roles in the animated movie Ferdinard and the currently-filming Bumblebee spinoff film. As many DC fans will already know, Cena has been a popular fancast for Shazam for quite some time, mainly as a pairing to Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's role as Black Adam.

Sasse, on the other hand, is much more of an unknown than Cena - but it isn't too hard to see him as the DC Comics hero. The actor is best known for playing the title role in ABC's musical-comedy series Galavant, and starring in The CW's apocalyptic dramedy No Tomorrow. With Shazam! reportedly featuring a very lighthearted, comedic tone, Sasse certainly has plenty of experience in that realm.

32658814d27e7b4d86578ab3adcc690bde61510c

1612d043759c494c49790a3968c754102f43c26b

Edited by Bosco685