• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Shazam' movie official thread (because he deserves one too)
3 3

1,885 posts in this topic

Dwayne Johnson got up on the MTV Movie Awards stage with a Black Adam t-shirt and stated he was on the way.

Could the Shazam movie fill one of those two new spots?

:wishluck:

Yes.

Dwayne Johnson is a box office star. I can see Shazam leapfrogging over other DC movies now.

San Andreas just did Worldwide: $473,790,832

We got to think with Warner marketing that a Shazam movie would beat that.

Shazam, done correctly, can be a mega box office success. Easily over $750MM. The key is casting Billy Batson correctly. The film should focus on him being an orphan and the hardscrabble life he endures leading up to meeting the old wizard Shazam. The supporting cast of Mary and Freddie are also important. The blueprint for the film should be the Shazam backup story in the New 52 JLA by Johns and Frank, which was brilliant.

Shazam, done correctly, can be a mega box office success. Easily over $750MM. The key is casting Billy Batson correctly. The film should focus on him being an orphan and the hardscrabble life he endures leading up to meeting the old wizard Shazam. The supporting cast of Mary and Freddie are also important. The blueprint for the film should be the Shazam backup story in the New 52 JLA by Johns and Frank, which was brilliant.

I have never read the New 52 stories. But I sure like your recommendations. The initial casting when the movie was being worked on prior to Man of Steel had these two in the key roles.

Molale_zps9dbca8c8.png

Brandon Molale's Shazam would be 6'4" tall to Dwayne Johnson's 6'5" Black Adam.

I always thought Shazam the original Captain Marvel would be more popular than Superman if the modern mass mainstream discovered him.

The DC lawyers knew what they were doing when the put Fawcett Comics out of business in the 1950s.

The irony is DC will now reap the rewards of the Shazam movie franchise.

I always thought Shazam the original Captain Marvel would be more popular than Superman if the modern mass mainstream discovered him.

The DC lawyers knew what they were doing when the put Fawcett Comics out of business in the 1950s.

If I recall correctly, Captain Marvel was outselling Superman for a period in the 40s which is why DC went after them.

If I recall correctly, Captain Marvel was outselling Superman for a period in the 40s which is why DC went after them.

...And paid the price by not having the right to call him Captain Marvel.

The Rock's Producer Promises Shazam! Is A Ton Of Fun

shazam-183630.jpg

Johnson's producer, Hiram Garcia, is a life long comic book fan and couldn't possibly be more excited about the opportunity to work on in the DC canon. In case you haven't heard of the constantly busy producer, Garcia is the VP of Johnson's Seven Bucks Productions company and his production resume extends from the Fast & Furious franchise to San Andreas to HBO's Ballers.

"We're a good way into development," Garcia tells ComicBook.com regarding the status of Shazam!. "We're expecting a next draft soon which I think is really gonna put us in the zone that we're hoping for."

As for the story we can expect to see when the film, which is scheduled for 2019 but may arrive earlier than planned, there's a certain DC Comics story which Garcia is holding close to his heart. "There's a great opportunity between [black Adam and Shazam]." Garcia explains. "The great thing with Shazam for me as a fan, I was always a fan of Superman and his mythology as I grew up. I remember it was Alex Ross's Kingdom Come that was the first time that ever made me look at Shazam just differently. I just knew of Shazam, you know the name, you knew the word, but I thought Alex Ross... He portrayed him and drew him in that epic kind of conflict that him and Superman ultimately had. It just made me look at Shazam in way like this is a bad motherf---er."

"I promise you dude, we're not gonna f--- this up!" Garcia enthusiastically assures us all. "My vision is so clear for this story and this movie. As story tellers, you sometimes get on projects but this has always been a priority. I've been carrying the Black Adam torch for so many years before we finally locked it in and I'm telling you we're gonna knock this thing out of the park. It's gonna be a blast and it's gonna be a dope ride, so get ready!"

:whee: