• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cerebus 1 a more valuable key than Hulk 181? Really Overstreet? Poll on Page 87
3 3

1,571 posts in this topic

If anything his terrible analysis probably had the opposite effect and made people realize Cerebus #1 should be worth even more. People are already forgetting who Wolverine is and confusing him with the Punisher:) He's out of vogue -now "fun" superheroes are all the rage like Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Hawkeye, Spideman, Antman, QuickSilver, Fantastic Four, Dr Strange -unless he becomes DC, but they have their own list of Flash, Arrow, Superman, Batman, Constantine, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg etc Even Wolevrine getting killed off isn't getting much traction in mainstream media.

If anything his terrible analysis probably had the opposite effect and made people realize Cerebus #1 should be worth even more. People are already forgetting who Wolverine is and confusing him with the Punisher:) He's out of vogue -now "fun" superheroes are all the rage like Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Hawkeye, Spideman, Antman, QuickSilver, Fantastic Four, Dr Strange -unless he becomes DC, but they have their own list of Flash, Arrow, Superman, Batman, Constantine, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg etc Even Wolevrine getting killed off isn't getting much traction in mainstream media.

I am honestly trying to figure out a single correct thing that you wrote above. (shrug)

-J.

I am honestly trying to figure out a single correct thing that you wrote above. (shrug)

-J.

I'm think Freud would call it projection.

"People confuse Wolverine with the Punisher" etc...

"Unless he becomes DC....."

I was thinking that it was about time for Logan to go NWO, hit Professor X with a folding chair, and join the JLA in the new 52.

hm

This. And it's logical.

Won? Have you looked at the poll lately?

The only reason it was a discussion is because RMA and I were sadly compelled to debate it. No one I talked to cared to waste their time.

But based on just the poll it looks like 65% feel Cerebus #1 is the right choice.

But it's not like even that will make you see anything differently. In your mind's you still 'won'.

lol

The only reason it was a discussion is because RMA and I were sadly compelled to debate it. No one I talked to cared to waste their time.

But based on just the poll it looks like 65% feel Cerebus #1 is the right choice.

But it's not like even that will make you see anything differently. In your mind's you still 'won'.

lol

Polls on this board, which represent opinions, mean nothing. It doesn't change the actual publicly available sales figures, which represent facts.

-J.

No way! The highest graded copy of the DC #100 Page 5 only sells for $1900 and that's only a few spots down the OPG list. You think the single highest Cerebus is worth 15X more?

Your question is unclear. 15x more than what?

A 9.6 over a 9.2?

9.4 is highest 100 Page 5. You, Sir, are trapped. You have to admit either A.) DC 100 Page 5 is expensive toilet paper or 2.) You were making an unreasonable statement.

Blazincomics=Message Board Champion

:cloud9:

Your post makes no sense. Sorry.

You have touted DC 100 Page 5 yet the highest graded copy has only yielded around $1900.

Please do not debate poorly. Misrepresenting what people say is poor debating.

It's a few spots below Cerebus #1, which you are calling a $30k book in 9.6? Weren't you also repeatedly slamming the guy who paid $30k for the highest graded GL 76 at the time, the #2 book on the OPG list? hm

You do not understand the dynamics of very rare books. The fact that you are trying to make an analogy between Green Lantern #76 and Cerebus #1 is very solid evidence of that fact.

And no, I have never "repeatedly slammed" anyone for a purchase. Well, maybe the guy who bought New Mutants #98 9.9 for $12k, but that was because he was here, shoving it in everyone's faces.

If you cannot have a debate without using buzzwords and mischaracterizing the nature of other people's comments, why bother?

Would it be fair for me to say that you think 100 Page #5 is really a $5 book, and should be shredded by everyone who owns one, if not burned, too...?

Why, or why not...?

I agree that none of this makes much sense. Maybe if you dealt with books that were a little scarcer and limited yourself to <1000 words a day your posts would pack a tad more consistency and merit a little more consideration.

:cool:

And, we're done. I will not debate with people who cannot have one without making it personal. Thanks for the conversation thus far. Take care.

That's an 8-10k book in 9.4, sir. Probably 12-15k in 9.6.

You're still not keyed into the difference in extremely rare books.

The rarer the book, the more exponential the price increases with each grade level.

$12-15K?

More like $25-$30k.

Going to have to call you out on this. The notion of anyone paying $25k or anything close to that for any copy of a cerebus 1 is nothing short of wishful thinking. The book may be "rare" but demand is weak.

And you still haven't explained why you believe a sale of a copy of cerebus 1 in 9.4 in 2004 for $10.6k or thereabouts and then again in 2014 for $9k "isn't" a 15% decline in value over a ten year period based on publicly available sales data.

-J.

Excellent point Jay (thumbs u The decline in prices based on publicly available sales data (which happens to be the most reliable data we have) clearly demonstrates a decline.

This is still not true, no matter how many times you guys wish to repeat it.

I find the Petey's Wheatcake name annoying. But the reason it's annoying is because I didn't think of it first...

Thank you, bronzejohnny and hippiecop. Such kind words, and you saved them for the 100 Page Super Spectacular!

I think anyone who compliments me displays an aptitude for sound, logical reasoning, an unbiased understanding of all the relevant facts, and an extremely high level of class and sophistication.

Okay, so who is going to start the "What will the Overstreet 2019 Top Ten List Look Like?" thread? I have a feeling that blazincomics has an opinion or two on this.

lol

I was just about to raise the question about whether Overstreet will place Hulk 181 above Cerebus 1 especially after Jay's fantastic analysis.

What are you reading....?

You know, BJ, it's going to be really funny when you disagree with the guy, and figure out the smoke and mirrors.

Or maybe you won't.

This page is referred to the course:

Cerebus-Hulk 101

A introductory course focusing on how Dr. J took on the High School-Grade Scarcity Team and Won.

Oh, right.

This is the Bizarro thread.

My mistake, I'll get my coffee and donut and have a seat.

And, is it odd to brag about someone's ability to "take on the High School-Grade Scarcity Team" and yet, call it "A introductory"...?

hm

lol

Polls on this board, which represent opinions, mean nothing. It doesn't change the actual publicly available sales figures, which represent facts.

-J.

Except when you don't understand what those "publicly available sales figures" mean, and when you don't understand that a signature series book is not the same thing as a universal book.

But, other than that, sure.

Back to the con. See you gents when I get home.

Poll results on the boards are irrelevant and do not change the actual sales figures on the year.

-J.

See - here's where your wrong. This _entire_ thread is based on the premise that it's _unreasonable_ of Overstreets to list a higher value for Cerebus 1 than Hulk 181 in raw NM.

The snark is in the title ("Really Overstreet?")

And the answer, as much as it irks you, is Yes, really -- As supported by the data and (as we learned, polled opinions of all the Overstreet Advisors on valuing the Top 10 -- including a heads-up between the Cerebus & the Hulk).

And every dealer who has weighed in in this thread has said they would a) take the 9.2 Cerebus over the 9.2 Hulk and b) price it higher.

And among the readers of this thread who have still hung in after 100+ pages the fact that Cerebus still wins out by a greater than 2:1 margin.

All of the above points to an answer: yes, really. It's not at all unreasonable for Overstreet to value Cerebus at higher than The Hulk.

Finally, how is it not supported by "sales figures on the year?"

Even if the only source you will accept is 2014 GPA, we have comps in 9.4. Cerebus 1 sold in 2014 for $9,000; the Hulk 181 has never come close to half of that. Yeah - the discussion's centered around 9.2 raw, but we have GPA-approved 9.4 sales that indicate (gasp!) high grade Cerebus > high grade Hulk.

No way! The highest graded copy of the DC #100 Page 5 only sells for $1900 and that's only a few spots down the OPG list. You think the single highest Cerebus is worth 15X more?

Your question is unclear. 15x more than what?

A 9.6 over a 9.2?

9.4 is highest 100 Page 5. You, Sir, are trapped. You have to admit either A.) DC 100 Page 5 is expensive toilet paper or 2.) You were making an unreasonable statement.

Blazincomics=Message Board Champion

:cloud9:

Your post makes no sense. Sorry.

You have touted DC 100 Page 5 yet the highest graded copy has only yielded around $1900.

Please do not debate poorly. Misrepresenting what people say is poor debating.

Were you not defending the 100 Page 5's place on the top 10? Is that not just as rare in high grade as Cerebus 1? Has the most recent 9.4 not sold within $75 of $1900? I don't see the misrepresentation

It's a few spots below Cerebus #1, which you are calling a $30k book in 9.6? Weren't you also repeatedly slamming the guy who paid $30k for the highest graded GL 76 at the time, the #2 book on the OPG list? hm

You do not understand the dynamics of very rare books. The fact that you are trying to make an analogy between Green Lantern #76 and Cerebus #1 is very solid evidence of that fact.

And no, I have never "repeatedly slammed" anyone for a purchase. Well, maybe the guy who bought New Mutants #98 9.9 for $12k, but that was because he was here, shoving it in everyone's faces.

If you cannot have a debate without using buzzwords and mischaracterizing the nature of other people's comments, why bother?

Would it be fair for me to say that you think 100 Page #5 is really a $5 book, and should be shredded by everyone who owns one, if not burned, too...?

Why, or why not...?

Please see the thread on CG titled "Comic Book Investing". You do mention the insanity of the $30k price tag on what was at the time the highest graded GL 76. Yet, for some reason, that price is reasonable on the Cerebus #1? I stated earlier I think the 100 Page 5 is a $750 book raw in 9.2. If there's a misrepresentation here, it's the one stating I think it's a $5 book.

I agree that none of this makes much sense. Maybe if you dealt with books that were a little scarcer and limited yourself to <1000 words a day your posts would pack a tad more consistency and merit a little more consideration.

:cool:

And, we're done. I will not debate with people who cannot have one without making it personal. Thanks for the conversation thus far. Take care.

Here's what's ironic. This is a nearly identical statement to what you've said to at least myself and Jaydog, even as recently as earlier in your post. Maybe the issue is you are a little on the sensitive side, which is alright. Ill treat you with kid gloves from here on out.

lol

-J.

Except when you don't understand what those "publicly available sales figures" mean, and when you don't understand that a signature series book is not the same thing as a universal book.

But, other than that, sure.

Back to the con. See you gents when I get home.

Did you really just say that lol?

You are aware that the only 9.2 cerebus 1's on the census are SS file copies, right ? And what have those sold for in the past ?

About $1400-1700?

What did a hulk 181 SS copy in a 9.2 sell for just this past March ?

$3700.

The most recent publicly recorded sale for a blue 9.2 hulk 181 is now $2,750. Lower than the $3200 last month but still higher than anything any cerebus 1, 9.2 has ever sold for and a whole lot more than OPG "value" on the BA list.

You want to "assume" a 9.2 cerebus 1 would sell for $ X dollars more now than it did the last time one sold, based on what exactly ? The 9.4 that sold for 15% less from its prior recorded sale ? The 8.5 that couldn't even break $900 a few weeks ago? This somehow leads you to believe that a 9.2 would have gone "up"?

I guess you also missed the thread where a boardie who's living in the real world said that he could only move his early issues of cerebus at 25% of OPG. That's 25% of OPG. Not entirely an apples to apples comparison but it is an in the trenches testament to the LACK of demand for this title, which is WHY it under performs in every single grade except its top one or two, and even those have experienced price deflation.

So please do tell me, oh sage one, what exactly am I "misunderstanding" here? You keep saying I'm "wrong" about everything, which is a meaningless conclusory statement since you STILL have yet to offer up any competing publicly available sales data that even suggests that I am "wrong" or what I am "wrong" about. Frankly I believe my "wrongness" only exists in the space between your ears.

I have also decided that there will be no further reason for me to post in this thread until you or anyone else offers up any publicly available sales data that actually supports any (and I mean any) of your statements about the purported "value" of a cerebus 1 in a 9.2 vs the real world value of a hulk 181, 9.2.

-J.

Isn't current Overstreet based on last years prices ?

Why do you keep referencing recent #181 sales ?

#181 has obviously heated up in the last year but that has no relevance to the current OS.

No. OPG states they are "2014 Values". And yes I agree OPG makes itself irrelevant by attempting to extrapolate 2014 values from 2013 sales. Hence the OP's, original point of the thread- Overstreet obviously got it wrong.

-J.

Can someone please sell me a Cerebus #1 in CGC 9.2 so we can put ths thread to bed? For the record I don't want a SS one other, I just want one that has off white or better page quality; fair enough? And yes I will gladly pay more than the yearly GPA average price of a Hulk 181 in CGC 9.2. Note I said average. Fluke prices paid by speculators and uneducated buyers never did motivate me as I don't buy out of emotion.