• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics #27 CGC 9.2
4 4

525 posts in this topic

if dave anderson was offered $5 million for his AC1 it was stephen fishler who offered him that amount. nobody else in comic land has that kind of cash (much less interest) on hand.

I can think of a dozen people (most who are on this chat forum) who could lay out the cash if they wanted to.

I know a lot of people who could bid $20 million dollars on the Buffalo Bills sale, but you know what, it takes over a billion dollars to own them.

I know a lot of guys who claim to be from Harvard but do not collect comics. They just troll comic message boards, make negative comments and remind everyone that they went to Harvard [allegedly]. ;)

I'll post a big old scan of the Mastro book tomorrow.

And I'm not saying this is the 9.2 we're discussing. The Mastro book has always looked undergraded to me. It was an early book and there's a perception that the early grades were too harsh. To me this book looks like a prime example of that.

The old books went in grade swings just like they do today. You had over graded books and under graded books (and well graded books).

Again, I don't want to start a rumor but this is a really, really sharp looking 8.0

Did you post those large pics yet?

I agree. That is as nice of an early GA 8.0 as Ive seen. There is certainly upside potential.

if dave anderson was offered $5 million for his AC1 it was stephen fishler who offered him that amount. nobody else in comic land has that kind of cash (much less interest) on hand.

I'm a big proponent of logical thinking, and this comment makes no sense.

Fishler is a dealer. As such, why would he keep paying more for books than his customers could ever come up with? He clearly knows people he believes will some day pony up even more than he paid.

Fishler is a dealer. As such, why would he keep paying more for books than his customers could ever come up with? He clearly knows people he believes will some day pony up even more than he paid.

This is true, but i was kind of thinking, maybe this was for his personal collection? Like the 'Frankenstein" movie poster he owns(worth a million plus now)? Not out of the ordinary.

I can think of a dozen people (most who are on this chat forum) who could lay out the cash if they wanted to.

I know a lot of people who could bid $20 million dollars on the Buffalo Bills sale, but you know what, it takes over a billion dollars to own them.

I know a lot of guys who claim to be from Harvard but do not collect comics. They just troll comic message boards, make negative comments and remind everyone that they went to Harvard [allegedly]. ;)

I do too! Maybe we should compare notes and see of it is the same people lol

I'll post a big old scan of the Mastro book tomorrow.

And I'm not saying this is the 9.2 we're discussing. The Mastro book has always looked undergraded to me. It was an early book and there's a perception that the early grades were too harsh. To me this book looks like a prime example of that.

The old books went in grade swings just like they do today. You had over graded books and under graded books (and well graded books).

Again, I don't want to start a rumor but this is a really, really sharp looking 8.0

Did you post those large pics yet?

I agree. That is as nice of an early GA 8.0 as Ive seen. There is certainly upside potential.

It looks better than the grade (to me). It would be something I would be proud to own

Someone should track the twists and turns the "Dave turned down $x million for the Church Action 1" legend has taken over the years, as I'm pretty sure it's a 15+ year old story by now (and commonly associated with Geppi as the offerer, back then), and the commonly-repeated number has jumped from 1 to 2 to 5 million with the times, since I first heard it.

Not that I doubt he's turned down astronomical sums for the book (and for his others), since everybody knows who he is and that he has it.

especially if you can control the market, then ypou can pay any price and knock you competition out

Edited by Mmehdy

You seem to like Wikipedia links to show folks the error of their ways. In this case, you could slap yourself upside the head with a link to "Non-sequitur"; what you just typed does not follow AT ALL what you just quoted. Absolute nonsense.

especially if you can control the market, then ypou can pay any price and knock you competition out

This is only partially true, Mitch. You're right in that a savvy dealer (or collector) can successfully manipulate the market on unique or very rare items. This is where hype comes into play, and its a fair enough tactic if the hype isn't dishonest. But it's also risky... one has to know the potential clientele, good timing, as well as have a penchant for ballyhoo... but even then it's no guarantee.

But try as he might, Fishler (or anybody) isn't going to keep getting record prices above everyone else for, say, a 6.0 AF15, because there's just too many copies available from too many sources. In comics there really aren't all that many books scarce enough and popular enough where a single person, or even small group of persons, can successfully manipulate the market.

So in the end, I'm not sure this sale, "manipulated" or not, really says much about the greater comics marketplace.

Someone should track the twists and turns the "Dave turned down $x million for the Church Action 1" legend has taken over the years, as I'm pretty sure it's a 15+ year old story by now (and commonly associated with Geppi as the offerer, back then), and the commonly-repeated number has jumped from 1 to 2 to 5 million with the times, since I first heard it.

Are you conflating the "DA was offered X" story with the story about how Geppi offered $1M in an ad for a NM Action 1?

Are you conflating the "DA was offered X" story with the story about how Geppi offered $1M in an ad for a NM Action 1?

My memory is getting hazy - what is Geppi or Parrino that put that ad in the OSPG?

Could be wrong, but I half presume that's how it got started. Certainly, you could do the A+B=C math and make an assumption that the offer was directly made.

the comic market caps at a certain level because most high rollers don't collect comics. unlike on sub million dollar books where you can get multiples based on a small grade bump, unfortunately on mega expensive comics the dollars and interest in the books falls short well before the assigned grade. you have a relative small number of WEALTHY comic collectors to begin with and then an even infinitesimally smaller group that have millions to throw on comics (i could count them on less than two hands).

this tec27 9.2 won't go for anymore than 9.0 AC1 did several weeks ago.

I'm not sure the market cap is quite the same as you're describing. The high roller collectors don't have just the top books; some of them have many other books as well.

Looking at the recent auctions I was struck not by the price of the Action 1 (which makes sense to me) but the prices of many many other books that garnered thousands and even tens of thousands despite being titles nobody remembers filled with characters who were never really successful in the first place, let alone famous today. Or they featured characters who are very well known but whose early comics' appearances are not rare in high grade. Add up only a short stack of those books and you get enough to surpass the cost of that Action 1. Add up all of them sold and you get hundreds or even thousands of Action 1s and Detective 27s.

If the market can support such values for books in the numbers that they exist, then it can easily absorb large increased in the golden age keys which are not only more famous but will never approach those numbers in regard to market cap (measured by the number of copies and the value of each individually)

Excellent point. For the optimists about the state of the hobby going forward (by and large I have not been one) the number of people willing to buy books with prices >$1,000 has to be encouraging.

It would be fascinating to have data on how many different individuals this amounts to. I assume Heritage has a grasp on the data, and perhaps Metro and CLink do as well. Proprietary stuff, though, so the data are unlikely to be made public.

My memory is getting hazy - what is Geppi or Parrino that put that ad in the OSPG?

I believe it was Parrino hm

Edited by 1962

I believe it was Parrino hm

Geppi made the public offer

http://www.comicon.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=525594

JP is the offer directly to DA

It is gonna blow Action 1 9.0 WP out of the water. My 2c

My only hope is that they scanned it like the did the Action 1 so us normal folk get to read it :grin:

+1

$4 MIL.

26.28% annual return on 10 cents for 75 years, not bad (thumbs u

the comic market caps at a certain level because most high rollers don't collect comics. unlike on sub million dollar books where you can get multiples based on a small grade bump, unfortunately on mega expensive comics the dollars and interest in the books falls short well before the assigned grade. you have a relative small number of WEALTHY comic collectors to begin with and then an even infinitesimally smaller group that have millions to throw on comics (i could count them on less than two hands).

this tec27 9.2 won't go for anymore than 9.0 AC1 did several weeks ago.

Don't be so certain that other members of comic land couldn't pay $5 million or more, if they were so inclined, for Dave's comic

show me some evidence. right now there is none.

:facepalm:

Harvard has insight into everyone's bank accounts/liquidity.

This guy supposedly graduated from the Harvard Business School. Yet in another thread he showed he was ignorant of the fact that China began adopting a market system decades ago.

The rise of the Chinese economy has affected every aspect of business -- from finance to marketing to management to macroeconomics. No one who actually completed the Harvard curriculum would be unaware of this fact.

My suggestion is to ignore this buffoon.

His posting style and attitude reminds me of Harold Fuller.