• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

They were not going to use Cullen at first, but it made sense to, because really who cares? Nobody remembers a second of dialogue in these films.

I'm trying to say this in a way that makes sense. Yes, Transformers, much like many properties existed in some form for years after its prime, like many of the properties I mentioned already, but for a lack of a better term if wasn't hot on the street. Nobody knows what Armada is, and hell most people don't even know about anything post-G1, even though some of that stuff (in Japan) is even better IMHO.

We can't act like Transformers was Star Wars, or even a step below, and remember Hasbro BOMBED both the animated films (it and G.I. Joe) , and shelved everything - the animated movie LOST money, even though I view it as a classic and have fond memories of it.

Not many people cared about Transformers, in the same way that I'm a G.I. Joe fan and I don't view Renegades or Resolute or IDW printing G.I. Joe comics as markers that this is a hot brand people care about. It would be like if a blockbuster Joe movie came out all of the sudden, and I used Renegades as an example that this was a brand people cared about. No, like most things, it merely existed. Given the same thought process, why isn't G.I. Joe gigantic and a billion dollar franchise?

Transformers is a worldwide brand again because of those movies. And as much mess as Bay gets, he made this thing into a monster again.

:gossip: The massive Transformers fanbase that overwhelmed Michael Bay with Cullen's recommendation.

'Transformers' Fans Wanted Peter Cullen — Not Clooney — To Voice Optimus Prime

When Michael Bay began work on his "Transformers" movie, he was inundated with requests to have Cullen return as Optimus Prime, the tough-talking leader of the Autobots he voiced in the '80s TV show. And sure enough, when Bay announced Cullen's participation at Comic-Con, the crowd went berserk.

:grin:

:baiting:

But I do agree. Transformers is not Star Wars.

Yeah like I said, they were not going to use him. People who go "berserk" are fringe extremist fans, you can find those for things like Black Mask or this week's crazy people thing, Steven Universe fans. Normal movie goers don't care about stuff like that, not to a tune of a billion at the box office. Obviously if you go to a con panel you are dealing with the upper crust of fanatics. That's what people do, as we can see with weekly twitter tirades by fans over everything.

If he wasn't cast, the movie would not have flopped, it didn't matter.

lol

You have to admit, though. That was quite the great lead-in you provided about how fanatical these Transformers fans can be about the voice actors.

:foryou:

I get what you are saying but don't know about that. Sure, nobody knows what Suicide Squad is but Transformers is a worldwide recognized brand *again* because of the films.

While that franchise pre-films, was definitely a lot stronger than say G.I. Joe was, Transformers was basically just a popular franchise from the 80s that were still selling boutique high price collectible toys for awhile, even amidst very minor other projects were occurring during the meantime.

Suicide Squad was marketed really well, the trailers were all impressive and has one of the biggest studios in the world marketing it as a blockbuster that stars Will Smith and has Batman in it. If there were any hinderances to it, it would probably be the less that expected turnout for BvS because I think if BSs was that billion + movie with even midling reviews, Suicide Squad might have been even bigger (even bigger than it is now, which is really impressive on its own IMHO) given that Batman is in it.

You are forgetting about the Generation 1 80's animated TV series that put this brand on the map. It was not only massive in the USA, but also Japan and the UK. Which helped expand awareness of these toys that Hasbro created after seeing designs from other Japanese companies.

I wouldn't assume decades of fan buildup is equal to a year or less of movie marketing. Two vastly distinct brands, with Transformers having a built-in strong foundation.

I'm not forgetting about G1 TF, I was a huge fan, but that franchise was dead or at least belonging to another generation. TF is big again because Bay made billion dollar films, that yes, certainly covets international fandom and got them. It was certainly a popular brand at one point, but entering the 2000s it was just and old franchise much in the way something like He-Man, G.I. Joe, Carebears. etc was or is. It was like G.I. Joe is now, to a lesser degree admittedly, where old middle aged men were buying overpriced toys and attending conventions.

I'm Japanese, I'm well aware of Transformers penetration in Japan, but it certainly was not something in demand before those films came back, it had been replaced, as many things are, as the one thing about the Japanese is that they seem to be able to create new things for the next generation of kid. Even Macross was still more relevant pre-films in Japan.

I'm not at all arguing that Transformers wasn't once popular, it certainly was but the difference between Transformers and others '80s properties right now is that Bay made movies people came out to see and were incredible financial successes even if that old core doesn't really like the new movies (much in the way Trek is IMHO).

You can compare Suicide Squad to whatever you like. But the similarity of the comparison was what I was pointing out as not lining up.

Transformers had some form of animated production from 1985 to present, to include Transformers: Armada that was launched from Japan in 2002. So where you and I may assume Transformers had become close to a dead universe franchise, it was always there in some form even outside of comic books. Even right before the first 2007 CGI/live movie. They were just out of sight/out of mind for those not fanatical over Transformers.

Why do you think they used Peter Cullen as the voice actor of Optimus Prime? Because there are so many folks that instantly recognize that voice.

They were not going to use Cullen at first, but it made sense to, because really who cares? Nobody remembers a second of dialogue in these films.

I'm trying to say this in a way that makes sense. Yes, Transformers, much like many properties existed in some form for years after its prime, like many of the properties I mentioned already, but for a lack of a better term if wasn't hot on the street. Nobody knows what Armada is, and hell most people don't even know about anything post-G1, even though some of that stuff (in Japan) is even better IMHO.

We can't act like Transformers was Star Wars, or even a step below, and remember Hasbro BOMBED both the animated films (it and G.I. Joe) , and shelved everything - the animated movie LOST money, even though I view it as a classic and have fond memories of it.

Not many people cared about Transformers, in the same way that I'm a G.I. Joe fan and I don't view Renegades or Resolute or IDW printing G.I. Joe comics as markers that this is a hot brand people care about. It would be like if a blockbuster Joe movie came out all of the sudden, and I used Renegades as an example that this was a brand people cared about. No, like most things, it merely existed. Given the same thought process, why isn't G.I. Joe gigantic and a billion dollar franchise?

Transformers is a worldwide brand again because of those movies. And as much mess as Bay gets, he made this thing into a monster again.

Actually, you are wrong about the Transformers. There were 2 cartoons just prior to the movie (Armada and Energon) and the toys were selling extremely well. I know, because I have a son who was born in 1998 and was at the prime age to be interested in the toys when those lines launched. I also remember some of those toys being extremely difficult to find around Christmas because they were selling out at stores. The Optimus Prime, Starscream, Megatron, and Unicron that I remember being particular difficult to get.

Hasbro was very smart to launch the movies when they did, because the toyline was doing very, very well for them with kids.

And for the record, I know nothing about Transformers as I was too old when the first series was on. I just know my son and his friends were into them in a very big way.

Edited by rjrjr

I get what you are saying but don't know about that. Sure, nobody knows what Suicide Squad is but Transformers is a worldwide recognized brand *again* because of the films.

While that franchise pre-films, was definitely a lot stronger than say G.I. Joe was, Transformers was basically just a popular franchise from the 80s that were still selling boutique high price collectible toys for awhile, even amidst very minor other projects were occurring during the meantime.

Suicide Squad was marketed really well, the trailers were all impressive and has one of the biggest studios in the world marketing it as a blockbuster that stars Will Smith and has Batman in it. If there were any hinderances to it, it would probably be the less that expected turnout for BvS because I think if BSs was that billion + movie with even midling reviews, Suicide Squad might have been even bigger (even bigger than it is now, which is really impressive on its own IMHO) given that Batman is in it.

You are forgetting about the Generation 1 80's animated TV series that put this brand on the map. It was not only massive in the USA, but also Japan and the UK. Which helped expand awareness of these toys that Hasbro created after seeing designs from other Japanese companies.

I wouldn't assume decades of fan buildup is equal to a year or less of movie marketing. Two vastly distinct brands, with Transformers having a built-in strong foundation.

I'm not forgetting about G1 TF, I was a huge fan, but that franchise was dead or at least belonging to another generation. TF is big again because Bay made billion dollar films, that yes, certainly covets international fandom and got them. It was certainly a popular brand at one point, but entering the 2000s it was just and old franchise much in the way something like He-Man, G.I. Joe, Carebears. etc was or is. It was like G.I. Joe is now, to a lesser degree admittedly, where old middle aged men were buying overpriced toys and attending conventions.

I'm Japanese, I'm well aware of Transformers penetration in Japan, but it certainly was not something in demand before those films came back, it had been replaced, as many things are, as the one thing about the Japanese is that they seem to be able to create new things for the next generation of kid. Even Macross was still more relevant pre-films in Japan.

I'm not at all arguing that Transformers wasn't once popular, it certainly was but the difference between Transformers and others '80s properties right now is that Bay made movies people came out to see and were incredible financial successes even if that old core doesn't really like the new movies (much in the way Trek is IMHO).

You can compare Suicide Squad to whatever you like. But the similarity of the comparison was what I was pointing out as not lining up.

Transformers had some form of animated production from 1985 to present, to include Transformers: Armada that was launched from Japan in 2002. So where you and I may assume Transformers had become close to a dead universe franchise, it was always there in some form even outside of comic books. Even right before the first 2007 CGI/live movie. They were just out of sight/out of mind for those not fanatical over Transformers.

Why do you think they used Peter Cullen as the voice actor of Optimus Prime? Because there are so many folks that instantly recognize that voice.

Actually, you are wrong about the Transformers not being popular only because of the movies. There were 2 cartoons just prior to the movie (Armada and Energon) and the toys were selling extremely well. I know, because I have a son who was born in 1998 and was at the prime age to be interested in the toys when those lines launched. I also remember some of those toys being extremely difficult to find around Christmas because they were selling out at stores.

Hasbro was very smart to launch the movies when they did, because the toyline was doing very, very well for them with kids.

Guys, I'm not saying that it didn't exist or was absent from the world but the idea that Transformers was a giant property is not true. Was it a nice IP to have? Certainly. Was it profitable? Of course. But it wasn't this huge thing in the world anymore.

Energon's toyline was a NOTORIOUS flop. They discontinued it almost immediately and Armada had notorious production and scheduling issues as a show and both were not viewed as successes. Guys, I'm a collector and fan of TF and Joe, I'm telling you these couldn't be found at the time because they stopped making them. Hasbro stopped making them because there was no demand - it didn't even last a year before they just stopped making them.

I'm not saying no children didn't dig it but the idea that these were hot is simply not true, I can find people who bought Sigma Six toys too, but it wasn't hot.

It wasn't until the movies came out when they released the Transformers Movie Deluxe Figures, and then it was ON again big time and since then, I mean obviously TF is a giant at the box office. Transformers were most assuredly not dominating any shelf space prior to these films or the run-up to them (apart from their obvious prime time during the G1 days).

All that said, none of this has to do with my original point, TF movies make billions and have terrible critical opinion on them.

Actually, you are wrong about the Transformers not being popular only because of the movies. There were 2 cartoons just prior to the movie (Armada and Energon) and the toys were selling extremely well. I know, because I have a son who was born in 1998 and was at the prime age to be interested in the toys when those lines launched. I also remember some of those toys being extremely difficult to find around Christmas because they were selling out at stores.

Guys, I'm not saying that it didn't exist or was absent from the world but the idea that Transformers was a giant property is not true. Was it a nice IP to have? Certainly. Was it profitable? Of course. But it wasn't this huge thing in the world anymore.

Energon's toyline was a NOTORIOUS flop. They discontinued it almost immediately and Armada had notorious production and scheduling issues as a show and both were not viewed as successes. Guys, I'm a collector and fan of TF and Joe, I'm telling you these couldn't be found at the time because they stopped making them. Hasbro stopped making them because there was no demand - it didn't even last a year before they just stopped making them.

I'm not saying no children didn't dig it but the idea that these were hot is simply not true, I can find people who bought Sigma Six toys too, but it wasn't hot.

It wasn't until the movies came out when they released the Transformers Movie Deluxe Figures, and then it was ON again big time and since then, I mean obviously TF is a giant at the box office. Transformers were most assuredly not dominating any shelf space prior to these films or the run-up to them (apart from their obvious prime time during the G1 days).

All that said, none of this has to do with my original point, TF movies make billions and have terrible critical opinion on them.

On this we can agree. I tried to get through the third one, and it was like the best sleep medicine ever prescribed.

:insane:

Box office analysts are saying Sausage Party pulled away more than a few of the viewers that would be excited to see Suicide Squad (younger audience).

BOX OFFICE PRO Weekend Projections: ‘Sausage Party’ Breaks Out w/ $33M; ‘Suicide Squad’ Adds $44M

Saturday Update: Sausage Party came away with an excellent opening day of $13.5 million on Friday, claiming first place in the process. With strong reviews and early word of mouth, the R-rated animated comedy from Seth Rogen and team should hold up relatively well over the weekend and beyond. Boxoffice is projecting a $33 million opening weekend.

Meanwhile, Suicide Squad came in second place on Friday with $13.35 million — down a whopping 79.4 percent from opening day last week. Still, it should retain first place over the three-day frame with a projected $44 million. Its domestic tally through eight days stands at $192.45 million.

Based on this weekend's estimates. And it still have four markets remaining, even without China.

Xkjscfd.png

l9U3NHo.png

Remaining box office releases:

Germany: 18 August 2016

Austria: 19 August 2016

Greece: 25 August 2016

Japan: 10 September 2016

Even Forbes.com's Scott Mendelson had to include some positives in his write-up today. Which you know was very painful for him, since he does close out on his disappointment in the movie.

lol

'Suicide Squad' Tumbles 67% For $43.77M Weekend

Suicide Squad is arguably going to perform about as well as we could have hoped a Task Force X movie to play. Regarding actual grosses, it was indeed a live-action shot-in-the-arm to the summer box office that the theaters needed after a somewhat underwhelming mid-May to late-July period.

The David Ayer film earned $43.77 million in its second weekend. That’s a drop of 67.2% from its record-breaking $133.6m debut weekend. That’s better than the 69% drops of Elektra and X-Men Origins: Wolverine, the 69.7% drops of Jonah Hex and Hulk as well as the 70.7% drop of Hellboy II (against the opening weekend of The Dark Knight), and the 78% drop for Steel back in 1997. It’s just below the 68.2% drop for Fantastic Four. But it is below the last three Memorial Day-released X-Men movies (-66.9%, and -64.2%, and -65.3% in 2006, 2014, and 2016).

It’s the biggest “second weekend” in August, just ahead of Guardians of the Galaxy‘s $42.1 million. If you’re wondering why I didn’t include Captain America: Civil War‘s 74% Friday drop when discussing big comic book plunges yesterday, it was because I knew that we weren’t looking at a 74% Friday drop leading to a 59% weekend drop. The Marvel Cinematic Universe movies usually drop 55-60% on the second weekend. Be they released by Paramount/Viacom Inc., Universal, or Walt Disney, are remarkably consistent offerings, except for MCU movies (The Avengers, Iron Man, Thor) that fall closer to 50% on weekend two.

And if Wonder Woman, Justice League, and Aquaman turn out to be better pictures, then this is all becomes trivia in the history of the DCEU. To wit, Suicide Squad has earned $222.8 million domestic in ten days, which is a win no matter how you spin it. It is a day or two from passing Signs ($227m) and The Bourne Ultimatum ($227m), and Rush Hour 2 ($226m) to become the third-biggest August release ever, behind The Sixth Sense ($293m) and Guardians of the Galaxy ($333m). Yes, inflation, 3D, etc., but it’s already in the top ten even when adjusted for inflation.

And look, putting aside everything else, a $283m domestic total (plus probably $600m+ worldwide) for a Suicide Squad movie has to count as a win. I wish it were better.

Tried watching it yesterday.

DC is now 3 for 3 in movies that I couldn't bear watching all the way through in one sitting, as they were that bad.

They have so much potential it is unbelievable.

Well, it was made for the fans only.

:baiting:

Shame you didn't care for Man of Steel or Batman v Superman Ultimate Cut.

The oddball for the weekend that should have been a huge hit was the Disney movie Pete's Dragon.

USA Today: 'Suicide Squad' shoots to No. 1 in second weekend with $43.8M

In third place was the Disney family remake Pete's Dragon, starring Bryce Dallas Howard as a forest ranger who takes in a boy (Oakes Fegley) whose best friend is a giant green dragon. Its $21.5 million debut is the latest in a string of live-action kid-friendly movies that have struggled at the box office, though it played well with audiences (A Cinemascore) as well as critics (85% on Rotten Tomatoes).

"That's a head-scratcher," Deregarabedian says. "It would seem in the midst of all this edgy material that Pete's Dragon would be a sanctuary for families."

I can remember as a kid how crazy we all went over this film. But now with all the advances in CGI and loads of family-focused stories, even productions like this can get lost.

I'm not so sure Suicide Squad was "made for fans."

If that were true, we here on these boards (i.,e, the most diehard comic book fans on the planet) wouldn't have been so split about it.

doh!

'Made for the fans' is what David Ayer said when it was pointed out critics were disliking the movie. Which is obviously too easy a write-off of critic responses.

If that were true, we here on these boards (i.,e, the most diehard comic book fans on the planet) wouldn't have been so split about it.

doh!

'Made for the fans' is what David Ayer said when it was pointed out critics were disliking the movie. Which is obviously too easy a write-off of critic responses.

Shall we settle for "it was made for some of the fans"...?

;)

doh!

Shall we settle for "it was made for some of the fans"...?

;)

lol

Definitely!

Just saw the movie.

I was sincerely rooting for SS to be somewhat decent. My expectation was not high on this one. I just want to sit back and enjoy a movie. Unfortunately, this film just didn't cut it. It's waaaaay too cheesy. Will Smith is the only bright spot on the entire film - I'm a bit biased because I'm a 90's kid and I'm a fan of everything fresh prince. lol

Despite of this gong show, I'm still looking forward to the Justice League!