• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

I was talking to one of the workers at an LCS that I hit on the way home from work. He said he went yesterday to go watch it and the theatre was packed so he went to Star Trek. He is the 6th or 7th person I have talked to that had to do that. I wonder how much Suicide Squad is helping to boost Star Trek's numbers? lol

I thought the CGI was a little pants, especially at certain points with Enchantress, as well as the voice over.

Villain choice, CGI were terrible.

The whole joker look thing is making so much more sense now...it's a swipe. God help me, I'm with DA on this one.

http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/08/10/suicide-squad-director-gets-called-out-by-die-antwoord-for-jocki/

I can't stand them. :facepalm:

That explains why I didn't like the movie. lol

‘Suicide Squad’ Kills It With $165M Int’l, $326M+ Globally

This morning we reported that Warner Bros’ Suicide Squad is crushing it domestically in midweek numbers, busting through Guardians of the Galaxy‘s grosses one after another. After opening to $133.3M in 57 markets this weekend to push it past comp Deadpool, the movie based on the DC Comic has grossed an estimated $15.7M Monday with another $15.3M on Tuesday to bring its international cume up to $165M. With domestic haul of $161M added in, David Ayer’s raucous romp has grossed a $326.1M for the studio so far.

In Brazil, Suicide Squad has passed the entire run of Guardians of the Galaxy after only six days in release there, scooping up $14.9M.

With its top offshore market so far being the U.K. with $19.7M, the supervillain pic starring Will Smith, Jared Leto and Margot Robbie salso pushed over Guardians’ entire gross run in South Korea with $12.1M after only one week in release. That country has a holiday next weekend with the celebration of its Independence Day on August 15, which might help moviegoing in the territory. Its No. 2 offshore market is Russia ($14.2M), followed by Mexico ($13.2M), and Australia ($12.3M).

In its second weekend domestically, look for the film to hit $51M-$54M, while overseas, it’s expecting another big weekend.

The whole joker look thing is making so much more sense now...it's a swipe. God help me, I'm with DA on this one.

http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/08/10/suicide-squad-director-gets-called-out-by-die-antwoord-for-jocki/

Their Instagram post is hilarious. :applause: Particularly loved this bit:

Cara & Jared told us how much u were talkin abt us on set but u never asked our permision to rip us off. An when ninja texted u sayin wassup wif dat u said nothin like a scared lil person_without_enough_empathy. U were jus flauntin our names pretendin to b down. u aint down an u never will b.

Dunno, if any of that is true about the interaction between Ayer and the band members, their visual design is strikingly similar.

Leto definitely had some tough acts to follow up.

suicide-squad-4-expectations-of-jared-leto-s-joker-joker-s-3-iconic-actors-png-210408.jpg

I just wish they would have gone for a less 'gang' look for such a long-standing character. But his appearances in the movie were interesting.

So there is more than one version of this movie, though it sounds like it is the opening that is the main difference.

Suicide Squad Had Six or Seven Different Versions According to Director

According to director and writer David Ayer, "there may be six or seven different versions of the film." That's what he told Empire in their revealing post-release interview with him. Specifically, the intro to the film was almost released very differently - originally, when he had a cut he was testing for friends and family and test audiences, everything happened in direct order.

"There's a linear version we did where it opens up with June [Moon, played by Cara Delevigne] in the cave and tells the story in sequence with the arrests and Batman, and then we go to Belle Reve," Ayer said. In fact, it was originally even more complex. "The first -script started in Belle Reve and told the backstories of everybody in these sort of flashback montages. The original conception is that there would be these memory bursts as they sat in their cells recalling their previous lives and also get the audience up to speed about who they are and how they ended up there. The first impulse was always to do a montage in the first act, but you chase different things."

The test audiences were "a little disoriented as to who to watch and why" he said of the linear version. "So we came up with what we call the dossier version, which has Amanda [Waller, played by Viola Davis] presenting the backstories and origins of the various members."

Dossier Version = Theatrical Cut

Ayer confirms who knocked The Joker's teeth out leading to the grill work.

Suicide Squad Director Confirms Who Killed Robin And Who Knocked Joker's Teeth Out

During Harley Quinn's introductory sequence, "Accomplice to the murder of Robin" flashed across the screen. Now, the film's director has gone on record to reveal the true murderer of Robin and the subsequent moments which cost him his teeth.

"This is sort of my personal thing and maybe less about a larger connection," David Ayer prefaces. "But Joker killed Robin and Batman basically smashes his teeth out and locks him up in Arkham Asylum. It’s in the asylum where Joker would have done the ‘damaged’ tattoo as a message to Batman saying, 'You’ve damaged me. I was so beautiful before and now you’ve destroyed my face.' That’s where the grill comes from."

Looks like the weekday summer audiences are going to cut into the weekend.

Comparing vs BvS, Suicide Squad made more on it's first Tuesday than BvS (which didnt have the kids out of school advantage).

But does that mean it's pulling from it's second weekend audience early (more front loading!) and we're more likely to see an increase in the drop vs weekend 1?

Looks like the weekday summer audiences are going to cut into the weekend.

Comparing vs BvS, Suicide Squad made more on it's first Tuesday than BvS (which didnt have the kids out of school advantage).

But does that mean it's pulling from it's second weekend audience early (more front loading!) and we're more likely to see an increase in the drop vs weekend 1?

I think this kind of thing shows how tough context is to get right when making these types of comparisons. Kids in/out of school, Olympics, Election year, comic movie fatigue, China, etc. Doesn't mean the comparisons shouldn't be made, but just that they aren't the end all/be all. Of course in the end the $ is king...

FORBES.COM: 'Suicide Squad': 4 Reasons Its Box Office Blowout Is Good News

1. It is a true theatrical moviegoing event.

In an era when theatrical attendance is down, and we all claim that young people don’t go to the movies anymore, Suicide Squad scored a massive debut primarily on the backs of the under-35 set which made up 76% of the opening weekend.

2. It showed the appeal of “new-to-cinema” characters.

Yes, Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc. wasn’t shy about using Jared Leto’s Joker and Ben Affleck’s Batman as a prime marketing tool to sell the supervillain team-up movie. But their ace-in-the-hole was Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn. Ms. Quinn is the most popular female comic book character around, and she has been for much of her twenty-three-year existence. This was a film filled with characters like Deadshot, Killer Croc, Harley Quinn, Captain Boomerang, and The Enchantress who had never been in a movie before. Sure, it was neat to see another version of The Joker, but the trump card was finally getting our first Harley Quinn.

3. It was a diverse comic book movie that played to diverse crowds.

The opening night audience for Suicide Squad was 41% African-American and Hispanic. That’s a telling detail for a film that, for all intents-and-purposes, was a $175 million+ blockbuster headlined by a black man (Will Smith’s Deadshot), a white woman (Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn) and a black woman (Viola Davis’s Amanda Waller). Yes, the fourth lead is Joel Kinnaman’s Rick Flag, but three of the leads, as well as the breakout supporting performance (Jay Hernandez as El Diablo) and both main villains (Cara Delevingne’s Enchantress and Alain Chanoine as Incubus) were not white dudes.

4. Success breeds success for the DC Films franchise.

A Batman v Superman or Suicide Squad that outright bombed would have put the kibosh on the whole thing or doomed us to just another round of Batman movies. But these films are huge business, and yes I would argue that DC Films is already a brand. If we want that “Harley Quinn and her female friends” spin-off or that Green Lantern Corps movie, the box office blowout success of these initial chapters is only good news. The films will only get better if the franchise lives long enough to right itself. Besides, if the films are going to have massive opening weekends anyway, one might presume less pressure to compromise artistically in pursuit of would-be playability.