• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

The numbers are what they are but that's a little misleading as I'm sure more people have the ability to attend Matinees in August then they do in May.

But good for them. I want the results to warrant a sequel or the HQ spinoff, which I'd prefer.

Jim

I think any of the movies in August most probably benefit from people having more time for films when on vacation or kids being off from school. Though I am not sure what would be misleading when it is reported for Guardians versus Suicide Squad. Any film in August had this advantage. Know what I mean?

Not that you are making this a studio stance. It's part of why the studios plan certain movies at a point in the calendar.

The crazy thing is, I gave this film a 7.0/10.0 as I think it is good - not great. So these box office results are really surprising. But like you pointed out - if it gets us a better sequel, I'll take it!

:wishluck:

I think the best SS2 movie would be SS vs Joker, with a very conflicted Harley, but I'm not sure people really want to see it.

I think more people would prefer a spinoff as opposed to a sequel.

Harley - spinoff (probably w/joker) or prequel

Rick Flagg - I like Joel Kinnamen, but nobody cares about this Flagg, he could die in one of the other JL movies. Waller could sacrifice him coldly somehow, reawakening enchantress (who could be in a JL Dark at some later date).

Killer Croc - really nobody cares

Captain Boomerang - it'd be nice to give him a bit of play in the flash movie, but just a bit.

Deadshot - they can't afford Will Smith again, and he's too big of a star playing too B-list of a villain to be a villain or a sidekick in any of the JL movies. He's ONLY useful in a SS movie, maybe the Harley movie.

I think the best SS2 movie would be SS vs Joker, with a very conflicted Harley, but I'm not sure people really want to see it.

I think more people would prefer a spinoff as opposed to a sequel.

Harley - spinoff (probably w/joker) or prequel

Rick Flagg - I like Joel Kinnamen, but nobody cares about this Flagg, he could die in one of the other JL movies. Waller could sacrifice him coldly somehow, reawakening enchantress (who could be in a JL Dark at some later date).

Killer Croc - really nobody cares

Captain Boomerang - it'd be nice to give him a bit of play in the flash movie, but just a bit.

Deadshot - they can't afford Will Smith again, and he's too big of a star playing too B-list of a villain to be a villain or a sidekick in any of the JL movies. He's ONLY useful in a SS movie, maybe the Harley movie.

But I think what you just described makes the most sense based on how the movie ended.

With the Joker breaking Harley out of Belle Reve Penitentiary, the perfect setup to the next story would be Harley now feels like she has a loyalty to both sides of the conflict.

Now as far as spin-offs go, I think Killer Croc is better as one of the villains taking on a major player. In the comics, he is very strong along with very deadly. We saw a small piece of this in the film. But not the extent I believe the character should be portrayed.

Deadshot went over so strong, to not give this character more screen time would be a massive missed opportunity.

I think Smith could be game, I mean his next (or upcoming) project is a direct to Netflix project with Ayers written by Max Landis. I think he might just be catching up to the new climate where it's okay for superstars to not be superstars all the time.

General thoughts on the film, I think it was good enough, I was excited for it, and I thought Smith, Viola, and Robbie were excellent, and minus some editing (which DC seems to have a problem with, considering BvS) and kind of a wonky final act (something a lot of superhero movies share), it was alright, but I will say by no means did I leave this film like I did Guardians, which for me is still one of my favorite Marvel films. I thought it was a joy.

I'm not married to any of the other Squad members, and would be up for a rotating cast of DC characters.

I'm not sure what I think of the Joker. Leto is a talented guy but I'm just not sure there's anything here, or enough of it, to form a definitive opinion. I could have lived without him, or seen more of him.

I think DC/WB did a better job kind of controlling the narrative during the critical period for this movie, they seemed VERY defensive when it came to the climate around BvS, and it felt like they kind of just let this one ride which for some reason just feels better.

All in all, it's VERY cool that Smith and Robbie are players in the DCU. You add that to a really nice Wonder Woman trailer, and an Aquaman who I think is going to crush it, things are looking up, though I'm still not excited for another Snyder film.

The numbers are what they are but that's a little misleading as I'm sure more people have the ability to attend Matinees in August then they do in May.

But good for them. I want the results to warrant a sequel or the HQ spinoff, which I'd prefer.

Jim

I think any of the movies in August most probably benefit from people having more time for films when on vacation or kids being off from school. Though I am not sure what would be misleading when it is reported for Guardians versus Suicide Squad. Any film in August had this advantage. Know what I mean?

Not that you are making this a studio stance. It's part of why the studios plan certain movies at a point in the calendar.

The crazy thing is, I gave this film a 7.0/10.0 as I think it is good - not great. So these box office results are really surprising. But like you pointed out - if it gets us a better sequel, I'll take it!

Sorry Bosco when I added in the May comment, I was speaking against the headline that SS did better than Civil War. My bad. That was what I was referring to in my "misleading" comment.

Jim

Shame that SS beat GOTG opening weekend. GOTG was a truly great, entertaining movie.

but will it beat it when the final counting is done? w/o China, signs say no. GOTG did 3.5x it's opening weekend domestically. SS will be fortunate to do 2.5X.

It's a shame they couldn't deliver on a funny story like Deadpool. It would have been a nice surprise. Was that you that said Deadpool wouldn't even do $500MM worldwide? I think we were all surprised.

It needs to at least break $437MM (2.5X). Which should be doable, even without China. Though that means it can't experience any significant drop-off in any of its key markets.

- Domestic: $218MM

- International: $219MM

Rf3m2pD.png

QM7EJU8.png

Product placement will counter a large portion of the marketing expense. Products like Bushmills Whiskey, Samsung phone (Boomerang's drone), Dasani Water, Coke, Monster Energy Drink, and one article mentions La Croix Sparkling Water (I didn't catch the Joker with this). But I think Samsung was the heavy-hitter they threw at us between Deadshot's phone and Boomerang's camera.

We'll see if Warner Bros's gamble going with a light story that focused more on the characters and their interaction pays off.

I'm thinking the same thing about it. I don't think is going to pass $500MM if anything it could end between &450MM - $500MM there isn't much competition this month I think the movie is going to have some nice couple of weeks before it drops.

Jim

Sorry Bosco when I added in the May comment, I was speaking against the headline that SS did better than Civil War. My bad. That was what I was referring to in my "misleading" comment.

Jim

No worries.

:foryou:

Shame that SS beat GOTG opening weekend. GOTG was a truly great, entertaining movie.

but will it beat it when the final counting is done? w/o China, signs say no. GOTG did 3.5x it's opening weekend domestically. SS will be fortunate to do 2.5X.

It's a shame they couldn't deliver on a funny story like Deadpool. It would have been a nice surprise. Was that you that said Deadpool wouldn't even do $500MM worldwide? I think we were all surprised.

It needs to at least break $437MM (2.5X). Which should be doable, even without China. Though that means it can't experience any significant drop-off in any of its key markets.

Rf3m2pD.png

QM7EJU8.png

Product placement will counter a large portion of the marketing expense. Products like Bushmills Whiskey, Samsung phone (Boomerang's drone), Dasani Water, Coke, Monster Energy Drink, and one article mentions La Croix Sparkling Water (I didn't catch the Joker with this). But I think Samsung was the heavy-hitter they threw at us between Deadshot's phone and Boomerang's camera.

We'll see if Warner Bros's gamble going with a light story that focused more on the characters and their interaction pays off.

I'm thinking the same thing about it. I don't think is going to pass $500MM if anything it could end between &450MM - $500MM there isn't much competition this month I think the movie is going to have some nice couple of weeks before it drops.

Box Office Mojo is updating its numbers now. Let's see what the international box office brings first after a few days of delayed information.

At $161.8 million domestic for its first five days, Suicide Squad has already surpassed X-Men: Apocalypse's $155-some million entire domestic total (!)

I read that same exact article on Forbes as well from 'your boy'.

:baiting:

Box Office: 'Suicide Squad' Tops 'X-Men: Apocalypse'

Suicide Squad snagged a terrific $14.27 million yesterday, a jump of 9% from its $13.1m Monday gross, bringing its five-day total to $161.096m. It set a record for the biggest Monday gross ever in August, and now it has the record for the biggest Tuesday gross in August as well. By the way, and I should have mentioned this yesterday, the Warner Bros./Time Warner TWX +0.88% Inc. offering has earned the biggest Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and now Tuesday in August history. We’ll see when it stops breaking such daily records, but I imagine that will have to do with the second-weekend drop.

And while I don’t have the exact overseas figures after Sunday, I have to assume that it’s over $300 million worldwide by now. But that’s an update for tomorrow.

:applause:

Rf3m2pD.png

QM7EJU8.png

It's be around $400mm by the end of the second weekend if the strong weekday box office numbers hold up.

Rf3m2pD.png

QM7EJU8.png

It's be around $400mm by the end of the second weekend if the strong weekday box office numbers hold up.

Odd that the tracking sites haven't received International Box Office updates since 8/7. But the Domestic is looking very good so far.

ZwHQ0XJ.png

oH4yLtS.png

I think that at this stage movie goers just want to get their garbage romantic comedy/action films back to where they were some 20 years ago before superheroes films took over.

Having DC open such a MAJOR front in addition to the Marvel blockbusters is terrifying to them.

Thats what were experiencing now with this DC assault by critics

SS will easily do 2.5x budget. It is looking like it will be around $400mm at the end of Sunday.

It is unfortunate this movie is considered too dark for Chinese audiences.

Edited by rjrjr

SS will easily do 2.5x budget. It is looking like it will be around $400mm at the end of Sunday.

It is unfortunate China considers this movie too dark for Chinese audiences.

I haven't seen a final decision yet. Just the same repeated Chinese movie executive stating it may not be something for local audiences.

I haven't seen a final decision yet. Just the same repeated Chinese movie executive stating it may not be something for local audiences.

I was actually disappointed with the level of non-darkness in this movie. I expected a higher level of crazy from Harley, and the ending was more goofy ghostbusters than 'the ring'. I think the darkest character was Waller (a true thug), but her type of role isn't anything that can't be seen in other Chinese movies. Unless they just mean the lighting, in which case...yah, too effing dark. Not BvS dark, but kinda tiring to watch for long periods.

I was actually disappointed with the level of non-darkness in this movie. I expected a higher level of crazy from Harley, and the ending was more goofy ghostbusters than 'the ring'. I think the darkest character was Waller (a true thug), but her type of role isn't anything that can't be seen in other Chinese movies. Unless they just mean the lighting, in which case...yah, too effing dark. Not BvS dark, but kinda tiring to watch for long periods.

lol That was my one complaint from the latest Star Trek movie. Way too many dark sets. It gave me a headache watching it at times.

I can't believe I'm about to quote Hollywood Reporting, but:

China's official censorship guidelines state that stories "propagating passive or negative outlook on life, worldview and value system" are disallowed.

Edited by rjrjr

The whole joker look thing is making so much more sense now...it's a swipe. God help me, I'm with DA on this one.

http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/08/10/suicide-squad-director-gets-called-out-by-die-antwoord-for-jocki/

Yes, David Ayer. You well and truly "jocked" their style...

:facepalm:

That's some imagination they have there. C'mon... Pale skin, green hair, red lips, questionable dentition. Now where have we seen that before...? hm Oh yes, that's right. The Joker...