• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

Tried watching it yesterday.

DC is now 3 for 3 in movies that I couldn't bear watching all the way through in one sitting, as they were that bad.

They have so much potential it is unbelievable.

but they got your $ which seems to be all that matters

DC is now 3 for 3 in movies that I couldn't bear watching all the way through in one sitting, as they were that bad.

Who told you they got my $?

I watched bootlegs of all 3. No theatre for those movies

lol

Who told you they got my $?

I watched bootlegs of all 3. No theatre for those movies

lol

FBI notified :sumo:

Just watched it today. Now, granted, big DC fan but have to admit Civil War was far better.

Liked Deadshot and Harley.

Thought Joker was ok...did like the Harley/joker dance/cover recreation shot.

Did not like Batman in this one.

Loved the brief Flash appearance.

Waller's role was evil which equals great in my book.

My main problem with the movie was how easily Harley got close to the Enchantress towards the end...too contrived and easy.

Overall a little above average for an action flick. Not great but ok.

So I had every intention of skipping this movie. But the kids cousins, who we are visiting wanted to see it. The cousins (ages 11 to 15) enjoyed it and my kids (ages 12 to 16) did for the most part as well. I was disappointed. Not a horrible movie, but nowhere near good. Mostly I was just bored. No characters I particularly cared about. If they lived or died, if they had their wishes fulfilled or not. All my kids thought they tried to fit too many characters in with not enough story for thrm to find any of them compelling.

Not as bad as BvS (which I think I gave three or four stars to) but not as good as Man of Steel (which I think I gave six stars to). Let's call it an average movie. 5 out of 10.

One thing is for sure, Will Smith needs to be given a Deadshot movie, and a Harley Quinn movie needs to be made.

HQ movie is coming

Downside to that, is it will probably mean more of Leto's Joker. Will Smith's Deadshot should be first though. That has far better potential to not only be a good to great movie, but also make money (yes, HQ will make money, but i'm not as confident in it being a good to great movie).

From the fellow that prides himself on always knowing the end financial results.

259.gif

It definitely would have benefited from a much better -script and editing. Then I would have left the theater feeling like I had watched a really solid movie (and most probably other people feeling that way).

What these numbers tell me is they nailed the casting for the most part, and there is definitely a desire for DC-based movies. Now they need to pull it all together for Wonder Woman and Justice League.

Speaking of which...

Does Suicide Squad Need a Director’s Cut?

Here’s the question: If the cause of these mixed reviews lies heavily with the way that the film was put together, would a director’s cut release on Blu-ray make it better?

Do Director’s Cuts Make Better Movies?

Just because a movie gets a director’s cut, it doesn’t mean that any problems in the theatrical cut will magically go away. That said, several movies that have received director’s cuts have been made much better by the alternate take. Ben Affleck’s Daredevil was significantly improved by a director’s cut, and Zack Snyder’s Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice made a lot more sense with the extra runtime that the Ultimate Edition version of the film added. The opposite is Dawn of the Dead seems to slow to a crawl at points in its director’s cut, while even Steven Spielberg admits that he made a mistake when showing the inside of the ship in the director’s cut of Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Would a Director’s Cut Improve Suicide Squad?

A lot of the complaints about Suicide Squad center around editing decisions that were made for the film. As a result, a director’s cut could potentially fix a lot of the perceived problems with the movie.

Adjusting the tempo of the movie, giving a bit more love to secondary characters, and improving the overall flow of the scenes would definitely improve on the theatrical version of Suicide Squad. A new cut of the film could make it more character driven, keeping the action but giving us more of a glimpse of the personalities of the members of Task Force X. Some would argue that the movie is just a “popcorn flick” and doesn’t need to be more than a bunch of action sequences thrown together, but just because a film is in the superhero genre, it doesn’t mean that it has to rush through everything else just to get to the big superhero (or supervillain) showdown at the end.

Ayer has bragged about the massive amount of film that was shot for the movie, meaning that there is theoretically enough extra footage to expand and revamp the film significantly if desired. If nothing else, it’s been confirmed that there was a lot more filmed with Jared Leto’s Joker than what actually made it to the screen; a “Joke’s On You” edition.

Since this was a movie meant to focus more on the Suicide Squad members, and the Joker was just a plot point to support Harley's origin, I would hope any Director's Cut would keep it that way. Just smooth out the flow of the movie, cut down on the soundtrack distractions, and maybe reveal a little more about the villain's master plan other than 'let's destroy the world'.

1) I thought it would fall harder than BvS's 69.1%. I was wrong.

2) Not every film needs a Director's Cut. My case for this is Donnie Darko. The Director's Cut dumbed down the film significantly by over-explaining how the time travel worked. Took the audience for .

Respect your audience. Mostly by releasing the "good version" of the film the first time, studio interference or not.

It's beginning to feel a bit like what often happens in the videogame industry - get an unpolished beta version out ASAP for testing at the cinema screens and then issue a patched-up version later on for home viewing.

It's beginning to feel a bit like what often happens in the videogame industry - get an unpolished beta version out ASAP for testing at the cinema screens and then issue a patched-up version later on for home viewing.

I hope that doesn't become the trend. A portion of theater viewers will probably stop going, and wait it out for the home movie release.