• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

Are we believing the reports of an all-in $275 million budget for Suicide Squad?

Per IGN & Hollywood reporter it was ~$175 million production (including $10 million in re-shoots) & $100 million in marketing & advertising.

Even with Will Smith reportedly being paid $20 million for his role, that seems high for a C-list group of superheroes whose schtick is "we're bad guys."

Like, I would have expected closer to $130 million for production and $50 million for marketing & advertising.

I saw it if HQ was not in it this movie would be a :tonofbricks:

What they need is a Comic Book Person write the -script ie in the Marvel Way and even produce a graphic novel showing every thing that has to happen. Star Wars does this and does not miss a beat.

The -script and story line was very bad, I really did not like the intro, it only got vaguely interesting when they crashed the helicopter.

2 1/2 for me

I wish people were this honest about marvel movies

:eyeroll:

IM2, IM3 and AoU sucked large

Loved the first half of Captain America: First Avenger, bored by the rest.

Incredible Hulk didn't last too much in my mind afterwards.

Never liked Iron Man 2.

Liked Iron Man 3, but it had a lot of lapses in logic and overblown second unit shots and a terrible climax (I rember disliking the Iron Monger fight in the original, looking back now it was better of what was to come.)

Just watched AoU again and it wasn't that bad the second time around.

Antman was better during a second viewing as well.

Someone pointed out that Marvel has had its share of stinkers too. The big difference is the first movie that Marvel puts out in these character franchises always seems to deliver. The first Iron Man set the tone perfectly, so even when an Iron Man 3 comes out as dreadful as it was, we know that the possibility for a good movie exists. Same with Avengers, etc...

DC has zero footing at this point. If JL and WW movies don't connect with fans and critics alike I think it will be curtains for this DC shared movieverse. They will just go back to pumping out Batman flicks.

I would think big DC fans would be happy that it is Suicide Squad getting roasted right now and not the Justice League movie. They still have a chance to get that one right...maybe.

but DC is running out of chances. I'd say anticipation right now is higher for WW than for JL. So if WW fails, its all over. It might be over anyways.

I dont think WW can fail, because its a period piece. The visuals and action scenes from the trailer look stunning, and its actually cast well (ie no ben affleck, no will smith, etc), but some of the dialog is slightly concerning.

Insulting every secretary that ever lived to virtue signal your SJW feminism chops, and explaining to the male lead he cant tell you what to do (as opposed to just proving it by deed), are examples of bad writing/agenda pushing that doesnt need to be there.

Hopefully, its just a few groan worthy lines and not indicative of the entire -script/tone. WW, with Gadot, as a period piece, is already a huge success, it's only there's to ruin if they are stupid in execution....

Edited by CBT

I would think big DC fans would be happy that it is Suicide Squad getting roasted right now and not the Justice League movie. They still have a chance to get that one right...maybe.

but DC is running out of chances. I'd say anticipation right now is higher for WW than for JL. So if WW fails, its all over. It might be over anyways.

I dont think WW can fail, because its a period piece. The visuals and action scenes from the trailer look stunning, and its actually cast well (ie no ben affleck, no will smith, etc), but some of the dialog is slightly concerning.

Insulting every secretary that ever lived to virtue signal your SJW feminism chops, and explaining to the male lead he cant tell you what to do (as opposed to just proving it by deed), are examples of bad writing/agenda pushing that doesnt need to be there.

Hopefully, its just a few groan worthy lines and not indicative of the entire -script/tone. WW, with Gadot, as a period piece, is already a huge success, it's only there's to ruin if they are stupid in execution....

seems like it would be hard for them to screw that one up but BvS seemed like a sure thing (ex Snyder).

Someone pointed out that Marvel has had its share of stinkers too.

The difference is, they are well written, well-acted, well directed. People (or fanboys) may not like the direction a film goes(IM interacting with a young boy as a mentor, IM having PTSD), choices made (fake Mandarin), etc, but the only movie from Marvel's Studio you could say was of poor "quality" would be Hulk, and portions of Captain America 1.

Everything else people knock films for (IM2, IM3, AoU) are their personal opinions about things they dont like. That's not the same as "bad dialogue", "bad pacing", "bad acting", etc. Which is why those films that some people rag on that Marvel has made, did well financially and critically (not 23% on RT, etc).

Edited by CBT

Man, I wanted to like this one - but WOW. Terrible -script. HQ was alright, but too restrained... am I good, am I bad - predictable stuff. Bah. Oh well.

Dan

Which movie is crappier?

MOS, BvS or SS?

In order:

BvS...MOS....................SS

Based on the JL trailer, it looks like the movie would be fun to watch. My only fear is the potential of having too much similarities with the Avengers with respect to humor, dialogue, and tone. I really like the dark tone of BvS. All WB/DC need to do is get a better writer and director to fine tune things a bit.

IMO, a little bit of variety is good to avoid any form of super hero fatigue

seems like it would be hard for them to screw that one up but BvS seemed like a sure thing (ex Snyder).

that's what I was thinking. BvS should have been an easy slam dunk. And Man of Steel should have been an easy double. Instead it was like reaching first on a strikeout when the catcher drops the ball.

All WB/DC need to do is get a better writer and director to fine tune things a bit.

agree 100%, and I would add, cast young upcoming stars who are very talented at acting (what Marvel has been doing), which they at least seem to be getting.

Honestly, I think the writing is the biggest problem. I feel like the writing of these films, and the corporate executives pushing agendas and not having a clue, are the things they need to correct to get the house in order.

So it's currently at 26%, based on 212 reviews.

What does that make this... a one and a half star movie? hm

I'm still going to see it. I sat through Wolverine 3, Iron Man 2 & 3, and AoU, how bad could this be?

Man, I wanted to like this one - but WOW. Terrible -script. HQ was alright, but too restrained... am I good, am I bad - predictable stuff. Bah. Oh well.

Dan

Which movie is crappier?

MOS, BvS or SS?

IM3

The difference is, they are well written, well-acted, well directed. People (or fanboys) may not like the direction a film goes(IM interacting with a young boy as a mentor, IM having PTSD), choices made (fake Mandarin), etc, but the only movie from Marvel's Studio you could say was of poor "quality" would be Hulk, and portions of Captain America 1.

Everything else people knock films for (IM2, IM3, AoU) are their personal opinions about things they dont like. That's not the same as "bad dialogue", "bad pacing", "bad acting", etc. Which is why those films that some people rag on that Marvel has made, did well financially and critically (not 23% on RT, etc).

This 10000%

Based on all the negative buzz, I would like to recommend the animated "Batman: Assault on Arkham" to better wash any possible bad taste fans might have from "Suicide Squad." I watched it in between cleaning my yard out between snowstorms and completely loved it enough to award it three and a half stars even.

Does this mean BA12 will plummet in value now? I'm going to go out on a shaky limb and say, yes.

Jerome

I can see what you're trying to do there... Nice try but you're not getting yourself a cut-price copy ;)

Dan

Which movie is crappier?

MOS, BvS or SS?

In order:

BvS...MOS....................SS

Agreed... but I really had high hopes for SS, so in my mind it's the worst one yet. Even great acting can't save bad writing. It feels like it was written by an algorithm, and Marvel uses real live humans.

Dan

This 10000%

Yep agreed. This is spot on. It feels like certain people just want to mess on Marvel movies because of some sort of allegiance to DC/WB (shrug)