• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

Choice critics quotes (and yes - I'm still seeing it tomorrow):

"Suicide Squad amounts to an all-out attack on the whole idea of entertainment." - Joe Morgenstern, Wall Street Journal

"The closest Suicide Squad comes to the masterworks of Christopher Nolan is that, like Memento, it suffers from instant amnesia." -- Amy Nicolson, MTV

"It wants so desperately to be subversive and irreverent in the manner of Fight Club or, more likely, Deadpool. And yet the most shocking thing about it is how risk-averse it turns out to be." - Chris Klimek, NPR

"It's like looking forward to Christmas all year and then waking up on the big day to find Santa Claus sprawled out dead under your tree." - Kurt Loder, Reason Online

"Suicide Squad is the most miserable time I've had at the movies in my life." - Calum Marsh, National Post

"If you know someone you really can't stand - not someone you dislike, not someone who rubs you the wrong way, but someone you really loathe and detest - send that person a ticket for "Suicide Squad." - Mike LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle

Here's hoping it hits the $140 million opening weekend, 'cuz next weekend's going to be brutal.

here's hoping. otherwise Warner Bros will continue to shovel swill into the trough and expect the public to lap it up

Edited by paperheart

DC's problem right now is that BvS and SS are based on the initial vision for their cinematic universe, which is not connecting with the broader movie-going audience.

This just isn't true though. BvS made quite a bit of money for a movie that didn't connect with audiences. Is it possible it did connect and critics didn't like it? And it sold a ton of BluRays too. If JLA fails next summer, then I'll agree with you. Until then, this is no different than Marvel when they built their Cinema Universe, except Marvel's movies got better ratings.

I'll bet SS does just fine.

Why does it bug people that the DC movies are doing fine financially? Because critics didn't like it? If SS is DC's 3rd movie in their DCCU, I'll bet it matches up just fine to Marvel's 3rd movie which was IM2. Not exactly a movie that set the world on fire.

Edited by rjrjr

Someone pointed out that Marvel has had its share of stinkers too.

The difference is, they are well written, well-acted, well directed. People (or fanboys) may not like the direction a film goes(IM interacting with a young boy as a mentor, IM having PTSD), choices made (fake Mandarin), etc, but the only movie from Marvel's Studio you could say was of poor "quality" would be Hulk, and portions of Captain America 1.

Everything else people knock films for (IM2, IM3, AoU) are their personal opinions about things they dont like. That's not the same as "bad dialogue", "bad pacing", "bad acting", etc. Which is why those films that some people rag on that Marvel has made, did well financially and critically (not 23% on RT, etc).

This 10000%

Yep agreed. This is spot on. It feels like certain people just want to mess on Marvel movies because of some sort of allegiance to DC/WB (shrug)

you don't find the pacing in AOU to be off? nor the storyling/plot of IM2 or IM3 bad?

bad acting? I don't think there hasn't been any award winners on either side.

Those movies are not without their flaws. But their certainly more entertaining than anything DC/WBs putting out.

Isn't that your personal opinion though?

I'm rooting for DCEU as I enjoy dark/serious super hero movies.

I wonder if the pro-SS on this thread have some BA12 or DC keys left to move and the anti-SS either sold theirs or never jumped on the DC band wagon

Disclaimer: I sold most of my DC books

Man, I hope people are not liking or disliking movies based on which comic books they own. That would be pathetic.

Edited by rjrjr

Here's my issue with the marvel universe

The huge emphasis on Tony Stark as the creator. Disney has put too much into his character because of its success with RDjr and lack of other characters under their roster.

Furthermore the generic vanilla safe tone of those movies is too bland by the 4th and 5th one. They all have great moments but I feel Disney plays it safe.

If I want to see a kids movie, I'd rather watch something animated.

They have become boring I'm my opinion.

I rewatched BvS on the plane and again enjoyed it very much. Far more than any of the recent marvel movies

:shrug:

I like the Marvel movies just fine for what they are, light and fun. You are correct they are clearly aimed at kids, but that makes sense since Disney bought Marvel for the tween boy demographics. Civil War was weird however because it was a darker movie, but had that out of place airport scene thrown in that was a completely different tone than the rest of the movie. Civil War was definitely Marvel's darkest movie, but it is too bad about the airport scene. (I liked the airport scene and it would have been great in another movie, but was really out of place in Civil War.)

I haven't seen SS yet but I'm looking forward to it based on BvS. I have that movie on BluRay and it is one of my favorite superhero movies.

The difference is, they are well written, well-acted, well directed. People (or fanboys) may not like the direction a film goes(IM interacting with a young boy as a mentor, IM having PTSD), choices made (fake Mandarin), etc, but the only movie from Marvel's Studio you could say was of poor "quality" would be Hulk, and portions of Captain America 1.

Everything else people knock films for (IM2, IM3, AoU) are their personal opinions about things they dont like. That's not the same as "bad dialogue", "bad pacing", "bad acting", etc. Which is why those films that some people rag on that Marvel has made, did well financially and critically (not 23% on RT, etc).

This 10000%

Yep agreed. This is spot on. It feels like certain people just want to mess on Marvel movies because of some sort of allegiance to DC/WB (shrug)

you don't find the pacing in AOU to be off? nor the storyling/plot of IM2 or IM3 bad?

Those movies are not without their flaws. But their certainly more entertaining than anything DC/WBs putting out.

And the personal opinion of nearly every movie critic and most movie goers. But yes, still a personal opinion

I don't hate DC movies, but all of you have to admit that the 1st beginning Marvel movies were Juggernauts.(Yes some of the later ones were only so so)

The 1st beginning DC movies were just dudes so far. I will reserve my opinion on SS until I see it.

Marvel simply told their stories better at the beginning. I am routing for JLA and others like TT.

Can DC just lighten it up some? Marvel did it with Avengers, Iron Man and Captain America why cant DC do it? You want to appeal to a larger audience then just us. Have some humor for Christ's sake, throw some inside jokes in there is it really that hard.

Marvel's first 3 movies were (along with domestic box office):

Iron Man $318 million

Incredible Hulk $134 million

Iron Man 2 $312 million

How were any of them juggernauts? I think you are looking at Marvel's current success and thinking all their movies made bank. They didn't. The next two movies, Thor and Captain America didn't set the world on fire either:

Thor $181 million

Captain America: The First Avenger $176 million

It wouldn't be until Avengers, Marvel's 6th cinema universe movie that they started making a lot.

I suspect Suicide Squad will make more domestically than Incredible Hulk, Thor, and Captain America even when they are adjusted for inflation. In the first week alone it might pass all 3.

i just got back from watching an early matinee. the theater was packed at a 10am showing. i thought the movie was a good summer popcorn movie. nothing spectacular but by no means the turd people are making it out to be.

i thought the joker in this movie was 100% above the one in bvs.

Was the Joker in BvS?

I wonder if the pro-SS on this thread have some BA12 or DC keys left to move and the anti-SS either sold theirs or never jumped on the DC band wagon

Man, I hope people are not liking or disliking movies based on which comic books they own. That would be pathetic.

Gawd.

On the same token, all of the rabid fanboys who went on a brigade against B vs. S, and now are doing the same thing with this Suicide Squad movie....

...really, some criticism is fine but...here's an idea, why not sit back and enjoy these movies for what they are...entertaining popcorn movies.

I haven't seen the SS movie yet and this is my first time posting in this thread.

This 10000%

And the personal opinion of nearly every movie critic and most movie goers. But yes, still a personal opinion

It is hard to play the game when the goal post keeps moving. So now a movie critics score is based on how well they liked the movie? Or is it based on how good the movie is based on non-objective criteria?

Edited by rjrjr

Gawd.

On the same token, all of the rabid fanboys who went on a brigade against B vs. S, and now are doing the same thing with this Suicide Squad movie....

...really, some criticism is fine but...here's an idea, why not sit back and enjoy these movies for what they are...entertaining popcorn movies.

I haven't seen the SS movie yet and this is my first time posting in this thread.

But what if they're actually just not good movies, or not as good as you hope, or nit as good as they could be. There's a million choices for movies now. If I leave the theatre and wish I'd spent the money on something else, doesn't seem unreasonable to let people know about it.

:roflmao:

I have yet to see anyone who bases their movie like or dislike decision based on the comics they are trying to sell. In fact, I see more fanboys that complain here about the characters not being how they expect them to be than anything.

If I had to characterize all of us vultures on the boards it is this: we speculate on all movies and will move the keys we want to sell before given movie's premiere as we are all aware of how comic prices drop shortly after that. Anyone looking to sell their BA 12 has done it already.

I don't hate DC movies, but all of you have to admit that the 1st beginning Marvel movies were Juggernauts.(Yes some of the later ones were only so so)

The 1st beginning DC movies were just dudes so far. I will reserve my opinion on SS until I see it.

Marvel simply told their stories better at the beginning. I am routing for JLA and others like TT.

Can DC just lighten it up some? Marvel did it with Avengers, Iron Man and Captain America why cant DC do it? You want to appeal to a larger audience then just us. Have some humor for Christ's sake, throw some inside jokes in there is it really that hard.

Iron Man $318 million

Iron Man 2 $312 million

How were any of them juggernauts?

Iron Man was indeed a blockbuster.

It made that $318 million domestic on a $140 million budget.

To match it with its reported $175 million budget (low by today's superhero tentpole standards) Suicide Squad will have to make $397.50 million domestic.

Given the critical reviews thus far, I'd wager that's incredibly unlikely.

Batman v. Superman made only $330.4 million domestic, for instance.

While Deadpool, which cost more than $120 million _less_ to produce than Suicide Squad and was a hit with critics _and_ the public, only made $363 million domestic.

Does anyone here, in this mecca of hardcore comic geeks, honestly believe (as of today) that Suicide Squad will out-gross Deadpool domestically?

DC's problem right now is that BvS and SS are based on the initial vision for their cinematic universe, which is not connecting with the broader movie-going audience.

This just isn't true though. BvS made quite a bit of money for a movie that didn't connect with audiences. Is it possible it did connect and critics didn't like it? And it sold a ton of BluRays too. If JLA fails next summer, then I'll agree with you. Until then, this is no different than Marvel when they built their Cinema Universe, except Marvel's movies got better ratings.

Why does it bug people that the DC movies are doing fine financially? Because critics didn't like it? If SS is DC's 3rd movie in their DCCU, I'll bet it matches up just fine to Marvel's 3rd movie which was IM2. Not exactly a movie that set the world on fire.

Don't get me wrong, I was one of the people that liked BvS much better than Civil War, but the fact that BvS did not crack $1B at the box office tells you all that you need to know about how well it is connecting with the broader movie-going audience. I expect that WB/DCCU learned their lessons and will apply that to their movies going forward.

WRT critics, do they really matter anymore?

I am happy that the DC movies are doing well financially, but I would like to see one top a Marvel box office to watch the heads spin on some of the haters here on the boards. lol

Iron Man $318 million

Iron Man 2 $312 million

How were any of them juggernauts?

Iron Man was indeed a blockbuster.

It made that $318 million domestic on a $140 million budget.

To match it with its reported $175 million budget (low by today's superhero tentpole standards) Suicide Squad will have to make $397.50 million domestic.

Given the critical reviews thus far, I'd wager that's incredibly unlikely.

Batman v. Superman made only $330.4 million domestic, for instance.

While Deadpool, which cost more than $120 million _less_ to produce than Suicide Squad and was a hit with critics _and_ the public, only made $363 million domestic.

Does anyone here, in this mecca of hardcore comic geeks, honestly believe (as of today) that Suicide Squad will out-gross Deadpool domestically?

So, now we are comparing Suicide Squad to the one superhero movie that has been an outlier? If we compared the Marvel movies to Deadpool, all of Marvel's movies did worse too, because Deadpool's cost to revenue is incredible for a superhero movie.

"Suicide Squad amounts to an all-out attack on the whole idea of entertainment." - Joe Morgenstern, Wall Street Journal

"The closest Suicide Squad comes to the masterworks of Christopher Nolan is that, like Memento, it suffers from instant amnesia." -- Amy Nicolson, MTV

"It wants so desperately to be subversive and irreverent in the manner of Fight Club or, more likely, Deadpool. And yet the most shocking thing about it is how risk-averse it turns out to be." - Chris Klimek, NPR

"It's like looking forward to Christmas all year and then waking up on the big day to find Santa Claus sprawled out dead under your tree." - Kurt Loder, Reason Online

"Suicide Squad is the most miserable time I've had at the movies in my life." - Calum Marsh, National Post

"If you know someone you really can't stand - not someone you dislike, not someone who rubs you the wrong way, but someone you really loathe and detest - send that person a ticket for "Suicide Squad." - Mike LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle

Here's hoping it hits the $140 million opening weekend, 'cuz next weekend's going to be brutal.

Interesting. Here is what another reviewer from Forbes.com had to share, which was counter to his peer Scott Mendelson.

FORBES.COM: The Critics Must Be Crazy; 'Suicide Squad' Is Wicked Fun

I went into the film with trepidation once again, as I did with Warcraft and Batman Vs. Superman, both films panned by critics. As I did, long ago, with John Carter. And like all three of those movies, I soon found myself having a perfectly lovely time.

Suicide Squad is good for many reasons—and misses the mark a few times, too. (No, Ayer’s directing is not as spot-on as Deadshot’s aim.) We’ll start with the good and move on to the bad.

The Good

What I enjoyed most about Suicide Squad was its central conceit: The cast of villains.

The Bad

Now onto the bad. While I don’t agree at all that the film either had “no plot” or was a total incoherent mess, it definitely suffered from some sloppy editing, especially in the first half, that made the film’s trajectory feel jumbled for a bit.

The Ugly

I’ll focus instead on the real ugly in the film: The fantastic make-up. Killer Croc is one ugly dude, though he calls himself “beautiful” in one of the films better moments of comic relief. Diablo’s tattoos are masterfully drawn. And Harley Quinn is the perfect crazy Lolita-clown, a blue-and-red lollipop killer of the highest order.

Conclusion

The critics must be crazy. Suicide Squad can be something of a jumbled mess at times, and it’s certainly not as unique or hilarious as something like Deadpool, but it’s got plenty of charm, a great cast of villains, and a fun if somewhat silly plot. I had a good time from beginning to end, and the audience seemed to as well.

:o

Hopefully you experience the same.

:foryou:

Don't get me wrong, I was one of the people that liked BvS much better than Civil War, but the fact that BvS did not crack $1B at the box office tells you all that you need to know about how well it is connecting with the broader movie-going audience. I expect that WB/DCCU learned their lessons and will apply that to their movies going forward.

WRT critics, do they really matter anymore?

I am happy that the DC movies are doing well financially, but I would like to see one top a Marvel box office to watch the heads spin on some of the haters here on the boards. lol

Give DC time. Marvel didn't have the huge breakout blockbuster until their 6th movie. Marvel had to learn what worked and didn't work as they went as well.

Interesting. Here is what another reviewer from Forbes.com had to share, which was counter to his peer Scott Mendelson.

FORBES.COM: The Critics Must Be Crazy; 'Suicide Squad' Is Wicked Fun

I went into the film with trepidation once again, as I did with Warcraft and Batman Vs. Superman, both films panned by critics. As I did, long ago, with John Carter. And like all three of those movies, I soon found myself having a perfectly lovely time.

Suicide Squad is good for many reasons—and misses the mark a few times, too. (No, Ayer’s directing is not as spot-on as Deadshot’s aim.) We’ll start with the good and move on to the bad.

The Good

What I enjoyed most about Suicide Squad was its central conceit: The cast of villains.

The Bad

Now onto the bad. While I don’t agree at all that the film either had “no plot” or was a total incoherent mess, it definitely suffered from some sloppy editing, especially in the first half, that made the film’s trajectory feel jumbled for a bit.

The Ugly

I’ll focus instead on the real ugly in the film: The fantastic make-up. Killer Croc is one ugly dude, though he calls himself “beautiful” in one of the films better moments of comic relief. Diablo’s tattoos are masterfully drawn. And Harley Quinn is the perfect crazy Lolita-clown, a blue-and-red lollipop killer of the highest order.

Conclusion

The critics must be crazy. Suicide Squad can be something of a jumbled mess at times, and it’s certainly not as unique or hilarious as something like Deadpool, but it’s got plenty of charm, a great cast of villains, and a fun if somewhat silly plot. I had a good time from beginning to end, and the audience seemed to as well.

:o

Hopefully you experience the same.

:foryou:

Oh, I forgot one item he pointed out.

P.S. I’ve already been accused of being a “DC fanboy.” I can only say this: I review Arrow as well, and I’ve been hammering that show for months now for its ongoing suite of mistakes and bad decisions. I do love Batman and the DC universe, but I’ve given high praise to Marvel properties as well, including both the wonderful Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy (though I hated Age of Ultron).

gonna have to wait two weeks to see this... but i'm excited regardless of reviews... okay some of the marvel movies are better then others, but i have enjoyed most... the newest x-men movie was ... but watching quicksilver in action was awesome... the extended BvS was really good... my take away of the Martha stuff was... its a comic movie, you have to get the good guys on the same side somehow... and that's about as comic-book as it gets... as for SS ... sure i wish HQ wore the old suit and talked like she did in the cartoon... but hey whatever lol... she talks like that as my ringtone... so yea!... still want to see it...

oh yeah... the new FF movie was mess

:whee: