• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

Someone pointed out that Marvel has had its share of stinkers too.

The difference is, they are well written, well-acted, well directed. People (or fanboys) may not like the direction a film goes(IM interacting with a young boy as a mentor, IM having PTSD), choices made (fake Mandarin), etc, but the only movie from Marvel's Studio you could say was of poor "quality" would be Hulk, and portions of Captain America 1.

Everything else people knock films for (IM2, IM3, AoU) are their personal opinions about things they dont like. That's not the same as "bad dialogue", "bad pacing", "bad acting", etc. Which is why those films that some people rag on that Marvel has made, did well financially and critically (not 23% on RT, etc).

Those movies are full of those things. Every Marvel movie has bad dialogue. There is a very large disconnect between the lines the characters are delivering and what is occurring in the scene. Dial down the quips by about 1000% for starters.

And lol at making a blanket nonsense statement that all criticisms against the Marvel sequels are nothing more than unwarranted personal opinions.

I'm rooting for DCEU as I enjoy dark/serious super hero movies.

I wonder if the pro-SS on this thread have some BA12 or DC keys left to move and the anti-SS either sold theirs or never jumped on the DC band wagon

Disclaimer: I sold most of my DC books

Here's my issue with the marvel universe

The huge emphasis on Tony Stark as the creator. Disney has put too much into his character because of its success with RDjr and lack of other characters under their roster.

Furthermore the generic vanilla safe tone of those movies is too bland by the 4th and 5th one. They all have great moments but I feel Disney plays it safe.

If I want to see a kids movie, I'd rather watch something animated.

They have become boring I'm my opinion.

I rewatched BvS on the plane and again enjoyed it very much. Far more than any of the recent marvel movies

:shrug:

Someone pointed out that Marvel has had its share of stinkers too.

The difference is, they are well written, well-acted, well directed. People (or fanboys) may not like the direction a film goes(IM interacting with a young boy as a mentor, IM having PTSD), choices made (fake Mandarin), etc, but the only movie from Marvel's Studio you could say was of poor "quality" would be Hulk, and portions of Captain America 1.

Everything else people knock films for (IM2, IM3, AoU) are their personal opinions about things they dont like. That's not the same as "bad dialogue", "bad pacing", "bad acting", etc. Which is why those films that some people rag on that Marvel has made, did well financially and critically (not 23% on RT, etc).

This 10000%

Yep agreed. This is spot on. It feels like certain people just want to mess on Marvel movies because of some sort of allegiance to DC/WB (shrug)

you don't find the pacing in AOU to be off? nor the storyling/plot of IM2 or IM3 bad?

bad acting? I don't think there hasn't been any award winners on either side.

Careful... People will think you're *spoon* on Marvel movies because of some sort of allegiance to DC/WB.

Just like certain people just want to mess on DC/WB movies because of some allegiance to Marvel. It works both ways. lol

A valid point, seldom raised... It makes one marvel at the bias.

Apparently Jared Leto isn't too happy with the final cut of the film, as lots of Joker scenes were left out. Makes you wonder if he will even play the character again if they come calling, of course depending on how many films he signed up for.

DC :facepalm:

This shouldn't be an issue seeing as so many people didn't like his portrayal of Joker...

Saw it last night with the gf. After early reports I lowered my expectations and as such it wasn't a huge let down. If you asked me what i liked about the movie: HQ, Deadshot and the soundtrack. Wasnt really into Leto's Joker but I did enjoy his Vincent Price-like laugh. It certainly isn't nearly as bad as some of the RT reviews suggest. ?

Just got back from the 5:25 show. The theater was a little over half full.

Now that was a lot of fun without too much deep thought throughout the film. It is the actors and their characters that make this a lot of fun, along with the side villain being Waller all the way through.

That was really cool that the main action was taking place at the John Ostrander Building (creator of the Modern Suicide Squad).

- Harley, Deadshot and El Diablo are definitely the characters to watch

- The Joker was in it just enough to build the backstory about Harley and their crazy fixation on one another

- Amanda Waller is just EVIL!!!

- Rick Flag's love for June Moone was very well portrayed

- When they say Deadshot hates Batman, they are not kidding

- Katana also has a very sad backstory that I would like to see played out more

- Killer Croc was solid - and deadly

- El Diablo's backstory is really emotional but makes the character pop

- The Flash appearance was SO COOL - he took out Captain Boomerang like a champ!

- Mid-credit scene was good, as it leads into the Justice League

Overall rating: 7.0/10.0 :whee:

The story being so disjointed at times is what keeps this from being a great movie. But it is still loads of fun.

What did you smoke/drink/inject/inhale before you saw it?

:devil:

It is not as bad as you have convinced yourself it is. Ayer even did a nod to the Alex Ross cover for Batman Harley Quinn when she appears in her original costume.

z4AoXjj.jpg

I enjoyed it, as did the people that went with me.

SUICIDE SQUAD Late Friday B.O. Update

Early evening estimates have Warner Bros.’ Suicide Squad at $140M-plus for the weekend after a Friday that’s between $63.5M-$65M. But, when it comes to the audience and critics’ response to the film, it’s deja-vu all over again. Like Batman v. Superman, which earned a 27% Rotten Tomatoes score and B CinemaScore, Suicide Squad is getting panned by critics (26%) and has registered an above average response from CinemaScore crowds who gave it a B+ tonight. We’ll assess the long-term ramification of this in a bit, but Warner Bros. marketing department needs to be applauded here for delivering the third-best domestic opening of 2016 to date, the second best of the summer (after Captain America: Civil War‘s $179.1M) and the best opening of Will Smith’s career. Suicide Squad continues to validate Warner Bros.’ ability to capitalize on its brands.

Angry Joe is a reviewer that is very tough on comic book movies because of his love of the hobby. His team goes through their experience.

8.0/10.0

8.0/10.0

8.0/10.0

Angry Joe: 8.0/10.0

(shrug)

Superhero News had one of its regular reviewers and a guest reviewer provide a non-spoiler summary of the film. They provide a reasonable discussion about why critics gave it the scores that they did, but also how this was still a lot of fun.

They very much wanted to see a Suicide Squad 2.

Now that was a lot of fun without too much deep thought throughout the film. It is the actors and their characters that make this a lot of fun, along with the side villain being Waller all the way through.

That was really cool that the main action was taking place at the John Ostrander Building (creator of the Modern Suicide Squad).

- The Joker was in it just enough to build the backstory about Harley and their crazy fixation on one another

- The Flash appearance was SO COOL - he took out Captain Boomerang like a champ!

The story being so disjointed at times is what keeps this from being a great movie. But it is still loads of fun.

It is not as bad as you have convinced yourself it is. Ayer even did a nod to the Alex Ross cover for Batman Harley Quinn when she appears in her original costume.

z4AoXjj.jpg

Oh, it is. People liking it doesn't change the fact that it's a very bad movie. As I said before, my guess is expectations have been lowered enough that the "well, that wasn't so bad" response has morphed into "that was pretty good."

I remember watching Jonah Hex on TV and saying the same kinda thing.

I don't hate DC movies, but all of you have to admit that the 1st beginning Marvel movies were Juggernauts.(Yes some of the later ones were only so so)

The 1st beginning DC movies were just dudes so far. I will reserve my opinion on SS until I see it.

Marvel simply told their stories better at the beginning. I am routing for JLA and others like TT.

Can DC just lighten it up some? Marvel did it with Avengers, Iron Man and Captain America why cant DC do it? You want to appeal to a larger audience then just us. Have some humor for Christ's sake, throw some inside jokes in there is it really that hard.

z4AoXjj.jpg

Oh, it is. People liking it doesn't change the fact that it's a very bad movie. As I said before, my guess is expectations have been lowered enough that the "well, that wasn't so bad" response has morphed into "that was pretty good."

I remember watching Jonah Hex on TV and saying the same kinda thing.

And yet there are many people saying though the story was not the strong point in this film, they had a fun time overall. Go figure!

I don't hate DC movies, but all of you have to admit that the 1st beginning Marvel movies were Juggernauts.(Yes some of the later ones were only so so)

The 1st beginning DC movies were just dudes so far. I will reserve my opinion on SS until I see it.

Marvel simply told their stories better at the beginning. I am routing for JLA and others like TT.

Can DC just lighten it up some? Marvel did it with Avengers, Iron Man and Captain America why cant DC do it? You want to appeal to a larger audience then just us. Have some humor for Christ's sake, throw some inside jokes in there is it really that hard.

I wouldn't consider The Incredible Hulk (MS #2) and Captain America: The First Avenger (MS #4) juggernauts. Iron Man was the one that really delivered right from the beginning. Though I like the Thor move more because of Norse mythology.

See what you think of Suicide Squad when it comes to 'lightening up', and hopefully it comes across more fun than you have had so far.

BOX OFFICE: 'Suicide Squad' Set for August Opening Record Despite Negative Reviews

Suicide Squad got off to a massive start yesterday, delivering an estimated $65.1 million (including $20.5 million in Thursday night previews). While this opening could very easily translate into a weekend right around Mojo's forecasted $145 million, recent history suggests an opening closer to $138 million is a more likely scenario. The film did top Batman v Superman's "B" CinemaScore by receiving a "B+" from opening day audiences, which could help it out, but that's not really a big enough difference to suggest it would outperform recent history. Additionally, the film's IMDb rating dipped to 7.4/10 by the end of opening day, below the 7.7 Batman v Superman had at the same point in its release cycle, and already today it has fallen to 7.2.

Of course, anything over $94.3 million will be enough to top Guardians of the Galaxy's August opening weekend record as the film's Friday alone is enough to place it fifth on the all-time August openers list. Should it cross over $140 million and ultimately haul in over $142.8 million it will make it one of the top fifteen domestic openers of all-time.

Internationally, Suicide Squad added another $33 million on Friday bringing its overseas cume to $64.6 million after three days in international release. The film is now playing in 57 international markets and among yesterday's new openings, the film delivered an estimated $6.2 million in the UK, the biggest opening Friday ever in August. It also delivered and estimated $3.9 million in Mexico and another $1.4 million in Spain. The film's worldwide cume currently stands at $129.7 million after three days in release.

mhV5Xt6.png

Ow3txtI.png

i just got back from watching an early matinee. the theater was packed at a 10am showing. i thought the movie was a good summer popcorn movie. nothing spectacular but by no means the turd people are making it out to be.

i thought the joker in this movie was 100% above the one in bvs.

Choice critics quotes (and yes - I'm still seeing it tomorrow):

"Suicide Squad amounts to an all-out attack on the whole idea of entertainment." - Joe Morgenstern, Wall Street Journal

"The closest Suicide Squad comes to the masterworks of Christopher Nolan is that, like Memento, it suffers from instant amnesia." -- Amy Nicolson, MTV

"It wants so desperately to be subversive and irreverent in the manner of Fight Club or, more likely, Deadpool. And yet the most shocking thing about it is how risk-averse it turns out to be." - Chris Klimek, NPR

"It's like looking forward to Christmas all year and then waking up on the big day to find Santa Claus sprawled out dead under your tree." - Kurt Loder, Reason Online

"Suicide Squad is the most miserable time I've had at the movies in my life." - Calum Marsh, National Post

"If you know someone you really can't stand - not someone you dislike, not someone who rubs you the wrong way, but someone you really loathe and detest - send that person a ticket for "Suicide Squad." - Mike LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle

Here's hoping it hits the $140 million opening weekend, 'cuz next weekend's going to be brutal.