• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

Fair.

Also, Wanted - It was far better than it deserved and had a more interesting plot / villain than it needed to.

I just picked up the Wanted Blu-Ray at Best Buy recently, and loved the overall film. Even if it didn't follow the comic book story completely.

I'd like to see that as a sequel.

But why can't it be good?

Superman

Superman 2

Batman

Batman Returns

Blade

Spider-Man

Blade 2

Spider-Man 2

Batman Begins

Iron Man

The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Rises

The Road to Perdition

A History of Violence

The Avengers

The Winter Soldier

Civil War

Ghost World

Hellboy

Hellboy 2

X-Men

X-Men 2

X-Men: First Class

Days of Future Past

Ghost in the Shell

Men in Black

We should be allowed to complain about bad comic movies (for me, especially Spider-Man 3, Ghost Rider, Superman v. Batman, and Jonah Hex) precisely _because_ we've seen so many done so very very well.

It's not that hard to do.

And to hide behind "it's just a comic book movie" or "we should just count ourselves lucky to see these characters brought to screen at all" is a tired cop-out of an excuse.

I'll even defend Watchmen. That movie didn't fail commercially because it was bad; it failed because the subject matter just didn't resonate with the public at large. For fans of the comic, it was a superb adaptation that actually improved on the source material (by excising the ridiculous squid).

Heck, if Netflix can prove a Daredevil TV show could work and Disney can knock it out of the park with flippin' Guardians of the Galaxy, it shouldn't be that hard for DC to kill it with its shared universe.

Really this is the point isn't it? So many are done well these days to mess up one is really unexcusable. DC has everything right in front of them to use. They didn't sell any of their characters and they have been owned by the same company for quite awhile.

They are supposed to be building a universe. If they don't get it right soon there will be only comic fans left to see it.

Edited by Fastballspecial

So I'm going to stop complaining since I think I won't bother seeing this one. This is the first superhero movie I'm skipping since Fantastic Four. I still have hope for Justice League and Wonder Woman since they seem to have less 'conflicted' heroes, at least from the previews I've seen so far.

I don't hate DC movies, but all of you have to admit that the 1st beginning Marvel movies were Juggernauts.(Yes some of the later ones were only so so)

The 1st beginning DC movies were just dudes so far. I will reserve my opinion on SS until I see it.

Marvel simply told their stories better at the beginning. I am routing for JLA and others like TT.

Can DC just lighten it up some? Marvel did it with Avengers, Iron Man and Captain America why cant DC do it? You want to appeal to a larger audience then just us. Have some humor for Christ's sake, throw some inside jokes in there is it really that hard.

Marvel's first 3 movies were (along with domestic box office):

Iron Man $318 million

Incredible Hulk $134 million

Iron Man 2 $312 million

How were any of them juggernauts?

Iron Man was indeed a blockbuster.

It made that $318 million domestic on a $140 million budget.

To match it with its reported $175 million budget (low by today's superhero tentpole standards) Suicide Squad will have to make $397.50 million domestic.

Given the critical reviews thus far, I'd wager that's incredibly unlikely.

Batman v. Superman made only $330.4 million domestic, for instance.

While Deadpool, which cost more than $120 million _less_ to produce than Suicide Squad and was a hit with critics _and_ the public, only made $363 million domestic.

Does anyone here, in this mecca of hardcore comic geeks, honestly believe (as of today) that Suicide Squad will out-gross Deadpool domestically?

plenty of HSX 'investors' do as SS's stock at $377 is implying domestic gross of $440MM. a 3X opening weekend multiple off those RT numbers seems quite a stretch.

I think when people have an issue with the financial success of sub-par DC movies, it's because they feel their success is not well-earned.

Any success of the DC Cinematic universe comes despite the quality of the movies (leaving out the Nolan movies obviously). Their success trades off of a) the love of the characters from the comics and other media and b) the success of the quality Marvel movies which has people equating super hero movies with quality and thus showing up for these movies on opening weeks.

I will say this - it's not all bad news for DC.

Marvel started out by meticulously placing each pieces on the chessboard, film by film. And even when some movies weren't as great, audiences appreciated and enjoyed the universe building. Everything they do now is because they're able to call back to early movies, build off them, etc. They had a vision and took their time.. and obviously it's paid off.

For whatever reason, DC didn't want to play it that way.

DC? They said "I wanna play too" and took all their pieces and dumped the box on the chessboard in messy fashion. It's been ugly. That being said? There's still some good pieces there. As bad as these first two entries may have been, does any one seriously doubt, for example, that a great Affleck Batman movie is possible? Not saying it will happen but it could.

It's just a matter now of DC finding the right people to come in and sort through the pieces and make ONE great movie. And then let things build off of that. It's not hopeless. It just needs someone with vision who can make the next great movie.

Edited by fmaz

We just got back and loved it.

All 5 of us liked it more than Batman V Superman. (Also better than Dark Knight Returns.)

Not that we didn't like BvS, but my oldest son and I, had somewhat lower expectations, but was pleasantly shocked.

Deadshot and Harley were the big standouts. El Diablo was good also. Joker, a lot of fun. (Vastly better than LL)

A couple of scenes felt a little overly staged, but was happy all through the mid credits.

Was interesting than they made Batman look like the bad guy.

Can't wait to see the alternate version when it comes out on Ultra Blue ray.

Edited by Rip

I went in with low expectations and really enjoyed it! So did my parents who didn't know any of the characters. Not a big fan of Leto's Joker. I was excited to see what he would do with the character and it just didn't feel real to me. Harley was great. The voice dubbing on Enchantress was awful. Did not look like the words were coming from Cara Delavigne.

My rating 7.5/10

Batman v. Superman 6/10

Age of Ultron 5/10

Deadpool 8/10

I was thoroughly entertained.

I thought character development was good, with the exception of Boomerang which I thought the movie could have done without. His character didn't really seem to bring much to the movie.

Thought Leto had a very good Joker characterization -- thought the screen time was sufficient for the story, but wouldn't mind seeing what a Director's/Extended Cut might look like with additional scenes.

Even enjoyed the mid-credits bonus, as it actually will be interesting to future DC films.

I'd give it an 8/10.

And I ordered this because it's awesome:

Hot Toys Harley Quinn

I was thoroughly entertained.

I thought character development was good, with the exception of Boomerang which I thought the movie could have done without. His character didn't really seem to bring much to the movie.

Thought Leto had a very good Joker characterization -- thought the screen time was sufficient for the story, but wouldn't mind seeing what a Director's/Extended Cut might look like with additional scenes.

Even enjoyed the mid-credits bonus, as it actually will be interesting to future DC films.

I'd give it an 8/10.

And I ordered this because it's awesome:

Hot Toys Harley Quinn

I like that toy except the head sculpt reminds me of the final shot of Angela in Sleepaway Camp. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, do not Google it unless you want this Harley figure ruined for you.)

A little goody from the movie with Harley in her traditional costume.

tumblr_obh0dukgOx1td9fzeo1_500.gif

There were a lot of goofy moments in this movie, except I don't think it was intentional. It also didn't have the charm of a GOTG to pull it off. The dialogue was stilted, the drama was flat and didn't resonate with the audience, the villain(s) were vapid. I'm trying to think of the last time the trailers for a major release were so misleading about the final finished product...perhaps the Mummy movie of 20 years ago.

On a positive note, Will Smith's Deadshot was solid. Harley was okay when she didn't go into her full on Fran Drescher Long Island housewife voice. If you had the made the movie with just them, it may have been fine. The rest were forgettable. I can't believe they relagated the Joker to essentially a supporting character with five minutes of screen time. What a waste.

The four of us in our group all thought the movie whiffed, and I'm the only "comic geek". Judging by the 90% capacity theatre that was dead silent without a single clap or cheer as the movie ended, we weren't the only ones. I feel like a sucker for ignoring the Rotten Tomatoes reviews.

Blame it on Rio.

After grossing $65.1 million on Friday in North America ($20.5 million from previews on Thursday and $44.6 million on Friday), Suicide Squad suffered a massive 40% drop on Saturday, and may gross less than $40 million for the day. If that trend continues for another massive drop on Sunday, the overall weekend box office haul for the film could end up being in the $130 million range after early estimates ballooned to the $140-$150 million range.

Given the scathing reviews, it seemed likely that Suicide Squad was headed for a massive drop during the SECOND weekend of release, similar to what happened to Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, but it appears that the negative reviews are actually affecting the opening weekend box office numbers.

Despite setting records with its $166 million domestic opening weekend back in March , Dawn of Justice also dropped 38% from Fri-Sat during that first weekend. Negative reviews and word of mouth caused the film to drop an unprecedented 68% in its second weekend of release. In comparison, earlier this year, Deadpool saw just a 10% drop going from Fri-Sat during its first weekend in North American theaters and Captain America: Civil War had a small percentage decrease as well, at only 18%. Fox's second comic book movie released this year, X-Men: Apocalypse, saw a 22% drop from Fri-Sat during its first weekend in domestic theaters.

Edited by paperheart

Or...can't we just blame it on the movie being not good?

I haven't seen the Saturday viewing stats yet for the Olympics, but Friday night (for the opening ceremonies) was apparently the worst in the U.S. since 2004, and down 35% since London in 2012.

If Suicide Squad does just $130 million this weekend (still an August opening record by a large margin), it'll be a stretch to reach $300 million domestic.

At least it's still tracking to do better than X-Men Apocalypse overall...

I watched Suicide Squad last night and quite frankly, I cannot see what all the complaining is about. For those of you who watched it and didn't like it, all I can say is you either went in with your mind already made up or watched a completely different movie!

For the complainers who haven't actually watched the movie... DO SO and stop with the metaphors and hyperbole meh

The first thing I have to say is Suicide Squad is a good movie. I won't claim it's "great" because it isn't on par with a movie like The Dark Knight. It is however fun, entertaining and has plenty of action. There is good chemistry between some of the characters and on the whole, fairly well cast.

The best character by far was Amanda Waller. This is how Waller should be portrayed on film, i.e. nothing will get in the way of national security. Nothing.

Deadshot was superb. Full credit to Will Smith for overcoming expectations ;) By the end of the first battle, everyone loved that guy who kills people for money...

Harley was as expected. Cute, charming in a crazy way and the centre of attention (for the most part). Well portrayed by Margot Robbie, I think the character would do well in her own movie.

Unexpectedly, El Diablo was awesome! A true highlight of the movie. A great character with awesome power. I don't want to give too much away but the scene in the bar where he recounts losing control of his powers was very well acted.

Joker... I was indifferent to Leto's portrayal. It wasn't bad, however it wasn't how we think of Joker. I have to ask, what do we expect in a 2016 movie? Romero, Nicholson or a "live action" Hamill would be too camp. Ledger worked with the tone of his movie but wouldn't necessarily work in SS. I went away thinking I couldn't see a better alternative...

Now... why the criticism over pacing and editing? The story started slow in order to build up the characters, then went into full on action after the team was deployed. Breaks in the action progressed the storyline and prevented fight-scene overload. The concern the movie is messed up and confusing is unfounded. It isn't. The storyline is very simple and easy to follow.

There's a few things that could've been better... Like not casting Cara Delevingne as Enchantress. Unfortunately, acting does not appear to be her forte. And Killer Croc should've had a bigger role with more dialogue.

Overall a good movie I'd recommend going to see with an open mind...

8/10

...i.e. a 7.5/10 movie which gets an extra 0.5 for Will Smith not singing the theme song...

Or...can't we just blame it on the movie being not good?

I haven't seen the Saturday viewing stats yet for the Olympics, but Friday night (for the opening ceremonies) was apparently the worst in the U.S. since 2004, and down 35% since London in 2012.

If Suicide Squad does just $130 million this weekend (still an August opening record by a large margin), it'll be a stretch to reach $300 million domestic.

At least it's still tracking to do better than X-Men Apocalypse overall...

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment.

The article Paperheart is referencing took its assessment from Box Office Guru.

Weekend Box Office (August 5 - 7, 2016)

Even though that site talks about a 40% dropoff, it notes something else.

August has never had a $100M+ opening weekend before. That will change. The record holder for the month is another ensemble comic book flick slotted into the first frame of the month - 2014's Guardians of the Galaxy with $94.3M. Suicide should easily top that this weekend, but may not have the same great legs to get to the $333.2M final of Guardians.

So it is going to break two records (best August Friday and potential best August weekend). What is going to be the test for this movie is the weekend-over-weekend staying power. The critics response is probably going to be a big stumbling block for general audience attendance.

But the Friday result was huge.

I watched Suicide Squad last night and quite frankly, I cannot see what all the complaining is about. For those of you who watched it and didn't like it, all I can say is you either went in with your mind already made up or watched a completely different movie!

For the complainers who haven't actually watched the movie... DO SO and stop with the metaphors and hyperbole meh

The first thing I have to say is Suicide Squad is a good movie. I won't claim it's "great" because it isn't on par with a movie like The Dark Knight. It is however fun, entertaining and has plenty of action. There is good chemistry between some of the characters and on the whole, fairly well cast.

The best character by far was Amanda Waller. This is how Waller should be portrayed on film, i.e. nothing will get in the way of national security. Nothing.

Deadshot was superb. Full credit to Will Smith for overcoming expectations ;) By the end of the first battle, everyone loved that guy who kills people for money...

Harley was as expected. Cute, charming in a crazy way and the centre of attention (for the most part). Well portrayed by Margot Robbie, I think the character would do well in her own movie.

Unexpectedly, El Diablo was awesome! A true highlight of the movie. A great character with awesome power. I don't want to give too much away but the scene in the bar where he recounts losing control of his powers was very well acted.

Joker... I was indifferent to Leto's portrayal. It wasn't bad, however it wasn't how we think of Joker. I have to ask, what do we expect in a 2016 movie? Romero, Nicholson or a "live action" Hamill would be too camp. Ledger worked with the tone of his movie but wouldn't necessarily work in SS. I went away thinking I couldn't see a better alternative...

Now... why the criticism over pacing and editing? The story started slow in order to build up the characters, then went into full on action after the team was deployed. Breaks in the action progressed the storyline and prevented fight-scene overload. The concern the movie is messed up and confusing is unfounded. It isn't. The storyline is very simple and easy to follow.

There's a few things that could've been better... Like not casting Cara Delevingne as Enchantress. Unfortunately, acting does not appear to be her forte. And Killer Croc should've had a bigger role with more dialogue.

Overall a good movie I'd recommend going to see with an open mind...

8/10

...i.e. a 7.5/10 movie which gets an extra 0.5 for Will Smith not singing the theme song...

lol

I guess I could have given it that 'no Will Smith song' bump. :insane: