• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

it will track BvS in boxoffice, front-loaded, decent opening driven by the loyal fans and pre-sale tickets, then fall off a cliff the next weekend and beyond

Im wondering if it wont even make it out of the first weekend before the drop starts...

Typical 1st weekend breakdown for the big superhero premiers is...

43/31/26

Summer behavior breaks down as

40/34/26 (so a little better on Saturday)

but it wouldnt surprise me if SSq matched BvS or even was more Friday weighted.

BvS broke down its $166m first weekend 49/31/20. Maybe SSq breaks 50% of its first weekend on Friday...

Right now we're looking at a 48/29/23 breakdown... So pretty darn close to the frontloading like BvS (even though it didnt get as much of a push as BvS). Amazing considering this was the summer and usually those breakdowns are MORE even, not less.

So that means we'll be looking for another high 60% drop off for week two...

Either that, or we see a smaller dropoff due to 1) a lack of competition and 2) better word of mouth than what critics were rating the movie at.

Not having anything decent to go against may give it more staying power.

Okay, so...saw it this afternoon. Mild spolers ahead (mostly tagged).

It was fine. Mediocre, like Thor 2 or X-Men 3.

Better than Ghost Rider and Jonah Hex, and it was far less offensive than BvS (in terms of missed opportunities, because the stakes here were far lower).

But it was a huge missed opportunity, a la Spider-Man 3.

I Loved:

- Amanda Waller (although Viola Davis is always amazing -- i.e., How to Get Away With Murder)

- Will Smith, and Deadshot's characterization

- The first 1/2 hour (rock solid up until the second scene w/ the Enchantress)

- Diablo's characterization

- Boomerang's characterization (least annoyed I've ever been by Jai Courtney, save Jack Reacher)

- Katana

- Mid-credits' sequence

I Hated

- The villains (Tia Carrere did the same thing so much better in Kull)

- The zombie people (seriously - straight out of the House of the Dead 2 video game)

- The constant music (some good song choices and riffs, but ugh...)

- The entire last 45 minutes.

- Was Scott Eastwood even in this? So much for my "he must be Deathstroke" theory. Didn't even see him.

Specific Stupid mess:

How does Deadshot's daughter prevent him from killing

Batman

? I mean, we _literally_ just saw him kill a guy with a bank shot, and he can't manage a similar one at point blank? Esp. when we later see that killing him is now his most fervent wish??

- When they're in the bar, why does Harley go check the mirror to see

if her detonator's been deactivated

, when hers alone had already been *and she knew it* just two scenes earlier?

- What was up with Killer Croc gratuitously speaking in ebonics? Great character up until the start of the underwater scene, and then he suddenly becomes as stupidly racist as JarJar Binks. WTF?

- While I enjoyed El Diablo's monologue in the bar, folks in my theater found it so corny they started laughing toward the end.

Overall, it was just...meh. Maybe two stars, but def. not Catwoman bad. Wish I'd had a 3rd beer before going in.

It's just frustrating, cuz it could have been great, as we saw with the likes of

- Guardians of the Galaxy (motley crew of unknown comic characters)

- Deadpool (that, with its hard R rating, at least had the courage of its convictions)

- Any of the last three Mission: Impossible movies

So in the end we just get disposable entertainment, fun for a slow summer's day, but ultimately forgettable, a la X-Men Apocalypse or Jack Ryan.

Also, while Margot Robbie was certainly fun to look at and did a decent job, she didn't do crazy even as well as Mia Sara did as Harley 12 years ago in the otherwise-god awful Birds of Prey.

Seriously - Mia Sara's portrayal of Quinzel (and, in the last episode, Harley Quinn) had just the right touch of truly scary psycho. Not Robbie's fault this time, so much as the writer's (and maybe the PG-13 rating) but could have been _so_ much better.

thud-faint-smiley-emoticon.gif

:baiting:

Better than Ghost Rider and Jonah Hex, and it was far less offensive than BvS (in terms of missed opportunities, because the stakes here were far lower).

I Loved:

- Amanda Waller (although Viola Davis is always amazing -- i.e., How to Get Away With Murder)

- Boomerang's characterization (least annoyed I've ever been by Jai Courtney, save Jack Reacher)

- Katana

- Mid-credits' sequence

I Hated

- The zombie people (seriously - straight out of the House of the Dead 2 video game)

- Was Scott Eastwood even in this? So much for my "he must be Deathstroke" theory. Didn't even see him.

Specific Stupid mess:

Batman

? I mean, we _literally_ just saw him kill a guy with a bank shot, and he can't manage a similar one at point blank? Esp. when we later see that killing him is now his most fervent wish??

- What was up with Killer Croc gratuitously speaking in ebonics? Great character up until the start of the underwater scene, and then he suddenly becomes as stupidly racist as JarJar Binks. WTF?

- While I enjoyed El Diablo's monologue in the bar, folks in my theater found it so corny they started laughing toward the end.

Overall, it was just...meh. Maybe two stars, but def. not Catwoman bad. Wish I'd had a 3rd beer before going in.

It's just frustrating, cuz it could have been great, as we saw with the likes of

- Deadpool (that, with its hard R rating, at least had the courage of its convictions)

So in the end we just get disposable entertainment, fun for a slow summer's day, but ultimately forgettable, a la X-Men Apocalypse or Jack Ryan.

Also, while Margot Robbie was certainly fun to look at and did a decent job, she didn't do crazy even as well as Mia Sara did as Harley 12 years ago in the otherwise-god awful Birds of Prey.

Seriously - Mia Sara's portrayal of Quinzel (and, in the last episode, Harley Quinn) had just the right touch of truly scary psycho. Not Robbie's fault this time, so much as the writer's (and maybe the PG-13 rating) but could have been _so_ much better.

Scott Eastwood was one of the soldiers. Rick Flag's right hand I guess. He didn't really stand out, but did had a few lines though.

I kind of liked the movie. I've been a fan of Will Smith in every role he's been in and I was worried about this one but I think he nailed it. It was worth it for me just to see him.

My daughter and I saw it today and it was good, not great, but an enjoyable movie. That being said, I have no idea why the critics hammered it so much other than the movie was not simple and light-hearted. I don't know what all the fuss is about the movie not flowing well. If you are partially literate and can follow a story line for more than 2 mins it is fine. lol

Smith was fine as Deadshot, and Robbie was great as Harley Quinn. I liked El Diablo as well. Leto was good as the Joker, but they hardly used him which was a shame. He brought a different perspective to the character which was interesting, but I can see how he is hit or miss with fans/viewers.

I Loved:

- Katana

- Mid-credits' sequence

I Hated

Specific Stupid mess:

Batman

Scott Eastwood was one of the soldiers. Rick Flag's right hand I guess. He didn't really stand out, but did had a few lines though.

And helped in saving the day.

He blew the bomb under the Enchantress's brother.

I Loved:

- Katana

- Mid-credits' sequence

I Hated

Specific Stupid mess:

Batman

What a waste.......and not just because I have accumulated a nice stack of HG NTT #2s for cheap over the years. :devil:

I Loved:

- Katana

- Mid-credits' sequence

I Hated

Specific Stupid mess:

Batman

What a waste.......and not just because I have accumulated a nice stack of HG NTT #2s for cheap over the years. :devil:

lol

I am wondering if the bomb may have altered him in some way, as it would be a waste of talent to just have him in one film.

Folks keep saying that it's just a popcorn movie which I think means it's okay that it wasn't very good. Well, I like my popcorn movies to be watchable. Just a quirk of mine I guess. (shrug)

Dan

To each their own.

My kids and I felt the same way about Ant-Man and Civil War. The problem with the Marvel movies since Winter soldier is that they are too formulaic. As my daughter (12 years old) said again today after SS, she did not like Ant-Man or Civil war because they are too simple and must be aimed at younger kids. lol This is coming from a girl that loves Black Widow and the Scarlet Witch - she actually liked AoU because of them (a minor imperfection lol )

Marvel has learned to do two things well with their franchises, just like Lucas did once upon a time with Star Wars/Indiana Jones and Disney has done all along: 1) keep the movies simple so they work at the 6 year old level (just like we are told to write at a 6th grade level) as this will attract the broadest audience (and the reason to make superhero movies is to make money, not garner critical acclaim) and 2) keep the movie formula the same. This is what DC needs to figure out with the new slate - what is the simplest formula that works for their properties. Obviously it is not the Snyder-led DCCU so hopefully Geoff Johns can bring back the magic they had with Nolan on Batman.

That being said, I am finding Marvel movies unwatchable now. It is the same simple formula with each movie, just a different villain as we go. Their production quality was weaker than usual with Civil War - the fight scenes were sped up too much at points so they came across as unrealistic and choppy, and the storyline was brutally weak. GotG is the last MCU movie that I thought was great, and that was because it was different and produced well. I am really hoping that the Infinity War is more along the lines of GotG than what we have seen recently with AoU/Ant-MAn/Civil War.

No offense, but this seems to be the same passive/aggressive nonsense tossed from every DC apologist at the Marvel slate these days - calling them "simple" or "aimed at kids." So as to try to paint fans of these movies as basically fans of kids movies. Or to put themselves as superior for preferring the more "refined" slate of DC films. Whatever.

If you don't like them, fine. If you're eating what DC is serving, great. But there's no reason to just keep trying this tactic. Despite the few die-hard apologists pushing it, no one is buying it. Sorry.

Simply because the vast critical consensus says that Civil War was an excellent movie and BvS and Suicide Squad were terrible doesn't mean you have to agree with that. But it might at least give you pause and wonder if your objectivity has been compromised when you continue to try to denigrate the Marvel movies and their fans.

Also, forgive my ignorance, but is the current version of Deadshot black?

I know in his original appearance in Batman # 59 he was white and the dude who plays him on Arrow is white.

So...no angry fanboy backlash over changing his race a la Nick Fury?

Geoff Johns was credited as an executive producer on Suicide Squad.

Anyone know the actual extent of his involvement?

Since the reorg news hit in May, I doubt there was some immediate drastic change in filming for Suicide Squad because it would have been so disruptive in finishing the film.

This has to be a cool experience seeing your own creation on the screen. But of course, if you like what you see.

John Ostrander Gives Extended Review Of Suicide Squad

johnostrander-suicidesquad-193854.jpg

"I really liked the film. Not perfect by a long shot, but a really good time in the movie theater," Ostrander wrote. "And for me a lot of it was just amazing. The look, the detail, the feel of the film is not something I’ve seen in superhero movies before.

"Chief for me were the performances, starting with Viola Davis as Amanda Waller. All the other characters in the Squad, both the comic and the movie, were created by others. In the comic especially I would re-define and expand on them but they were established characters. Amanda Waller was my creation and Viola Davis embodied her to perfection."

Ostrander felt that Margot Robbie gave a scene-stealing performance and described her Harley Quinn as "sexy, innocent, funny, lethal, crazy and dangerous."

One of his few complaints was that he would have like to have seen more of Jay Hernandez's El Diablo and Jai Courtney's Captain Boomerang. As for the latter: "He’s very much as I wrote him in the Squad – he knows what he is and he likes it. In that respect, Boomerang is very well adjusted. Which is scary."

"Are there problems with the film? Sure," he admitted. "The antagonist(s) are not well defined and, to my mind, you need a good antagonist to help define the protagonist(s). It’s the antagonist who usually sets the plot in motion and it is defined by what they want. The story is a little more generic 'we have to save the world' than I usually did; I always liked having one foot squarely in reality."

He added, "I also liked having a political and/or social edge in my Squad stories. That would also give a greater feel of reality and I don’t see that here."

Folks keep saying that it's just a popcorn movie which I think means it's okay that it wasn't very good. Well, I like my popcorn movies to be watchable. Just a quirk of mine I guess. (shrug)

Dan

To each their own.

My kids and I felt the same way about Ant-Man and Civil War. The problem with the Marvel movies since Winter soldier is that they are too formulaic. As my daughter (12 years old) said again today after SS, she did not like Ant-Man or Civil war because they are too simple and must be aimed at younger kids. lol This is coming from a girl that loves Black Widow and the Scarlet Witch - she actually liked AoU because of them (a minor imperfection lol )

Marvel has learned to do two things well with their franchises, just like Lucas did once upon a time with Star Wars/Indiana Jones and Disney has done all along: 1) keep the movies simple so they work at the 6 year old level (just like we are told to write at a 6th grade level) as this will attract the broadest audience (and the reason to make superhero movies is to make money, not garner critical acclaim) and 2) keep the movie formula the same. This is what DC needs to figure out with the new slate - what is the simplest formula that works for their properties. Obviously it is not the Snyder-led DCCU so hopefully Geoff Johns can bring back the magic they had with Nolan on Batman.

That being said, I am finding Marvel movies unwatchable now. It is the same simple formula with each movie, just a different villain as we go. Their production quality was weaker than usual with Civil War - the fight scenes were sped up too much at points so they came across as unrealistic and choppy, and the storyline was brutally weak. GotG is the last MCU movie that I thought was great, and that was because it was different and produced well. I am really hoping that the Infinity War is more along the lines of GotG than what we have seen recently with AoU/Ant-MAn/Civil War.

No offense, but this seems to be the same passive/aggressive nonsense tossed from every DC apologist at the Marvel slate these days - calling them "simple" or "aimed at kids." So as to try to paint fans of these movies as basically fans of kids movies. Or to put themselves as superior for preferring the more "refined" slate of DC films. Whatever.

If you don't like them, fine. If you're eating what DC is serving, great. But there's no reason to just keep trying this tactic. Despite the few die-hard apologists pushing it, no one is buying it. Sorry.

Simply because the vast critical consensus says that Civil War was an excellent movie and BvS and Suicide Squad were terrible doesn't mean you have to agree with that. But it might at least give you pause and wonder if your objectivity has been compromised when you continue to try to denigrate the Marvel movies and their fans.

+1

Being angry must be tiring!

Dan

To each their own.

lol

Marvel movies are simple and that works. Why complain about it? Lucas created a $4 billion company out of this approach. Disney has an empire based on it. You are posting the same response that Marvel movie fanboys always post when people point this out as well. lol

That being said, if my 11 and 12 year olds are noticing the same things re: how simple the Marvel movies are, that tells me something (as in I will not be dropping $100+ to take the family to the theater as often :wishluck: ).

In any case, if Marvel puts out great movies like Avengers, Iron Man 1, Winter Soldier and GotG then I will continue to go to them. Just like if DC does not improve I will stop after giving WW and Justice League a try.

Personally, I want both companies to succeed so I can continue to make fun money off of the comics underlying their movie properties and have the value of my core collection continue to increase. It is as simple as that. FWIW, I have more Marvel keys sitting in my "to flip" boxes than DC.

Dan

To each their own.

+1

Being angry must be tiring!

Same can be said for the Marvel fanboys ripping on everything DC, whether they actually saw the movie or not. lol

As I posted above, I want both companies to succeed so I can continue to make fun money off of it.

Edited by kimik

I kind of liked the movie. I've been a fan of Will Smith in every role he's been in and I was worried about this one but I think he nailed it. It was worth it for me just to see him.

My daughter and I saw it today and it was good, not great, but an enjoyable movie. That being said, I have no idea why the critics hammered it so much other than the movie was not simple and light-hearted. I don't know what all the fuss is about the movie not flowing well. If you are partially literate and can follow a story line for more than 2 mins it is fine. lol

Smith was fine as Deadshot, and Robbie was great as Harley Quinn. I liked El Diablo as well. Leto was good as the Joker, but they hardly used him which was a shame. He brought a different perspective to the character which was interesting, but I can see how he is hit or miss with fans/viewers.

I was also confused as to why it got such bad ratings. This made me go in with very low expectations but I enjoyed most of the movie other than the enchantress' zombies and their fight sequences. I wish they used Leto more too. I warmed up to him after watching the scene with Quinzel.

Edited by WilliamG.Staggers

DC's proven it could work though - with the Nolan trilogy.

And Marvel proved villains could work with Deadpool, while making an A-list blockbuster over an off-beat team that no one's heard of could work with Guardians.

And I don't see Marvel films as necessarily simple -- Winter Soldier worked as well as it did because it was primarily a spy thriller that just happened to be grafted onto a superhero movie (just as The Dark Knight was a decent crime thriller that happened to take place with some Batman characters).

There's room for all kinds of these comic book movies in the theaters: Blade 2, Ant-Man and Big Hero Six alongside such epics as The Avengers.

But we as comic fans need to be honest about the good vs. the bad, and keep rewarding the highest quality efforts.

Otherwise, superhero fatigue will accelerate and we'll see the well dry up entirely that much sooner as the general public turns their back on the entire genre and Hollywood as a whole moves on to the next big thing.

We've already seen (at least officially) both JLA and Infinity War pull back from two movies to one; it'd be a shame if a week first-month's showing of Suicide Squad killed any chance of a (lower-budgeted, better-written) sequel.

Mrs. Hado and I saw it this afternoon, we both enjoyed it enough.

It's got some issues, notably I'd have liked to learn more about the Enchantress and her brother. I had the same issue in the last X-men movie, not enough backstory for Apocalypse. You need a good Antagonist.

The Joker was actually not bad, but it's odd how he and Batman were bit players, it felt like there was a Batfleck film where he faced the Joker that I didn't see.

And the reverence that this film had for Superman seemed like they were talking about Christopher Reeves. Not the cold a-hole from Man of Steel/BVS.