• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

Folks keep saying that it's just a popcorn movie which I think means it's okay that it wasn't very good. Well, I like my popcorn movies to be watchable. Just a quirk of mine I guess. (shrug)

Dan

Sounds like the "Con Air" point I made 10-15 pages back in the thread.

It's actually a clever marketing strategy that went on towards the end of some last minute fireworks before the summer winds down.

You see these critic proof summer hits from time to time (Congo, The Mummy Returns, etc) that people seem to enjoy regardless of narrative quality and critical bashing.

Another professional summary of the weekend's results.

BOXOFFICEPRO: Studio Weekend Estimates: ‘Suicide Squad’ Smashes August Opening Record w/ $135.1

Warner Bros.’ hugely hyped Suicide Squad overcame terrible reviews to launch with a tremendous $135.1 million estimated opening weekend. The dark ensemble film starring Will Smith, Margot Robbie, and Jared Leto as a team of misfit superheroes who battle the Joker claims the second-highest opening weekend of the summer behind May’s Captain America: Civil War. It also destroys the previous highest August opening, when Guardians of the Galaxy bowed to $94.3 million in 2014, as well as 2001’s Rush Hour 2 with its previous inflation-adjusted record $103.1 million August opening.

Compared to other superhero films this year, Suicide Squad starts 24.5 percent behind the $179.1 million opening of Captain America: Civil War and 18.6 percent behind the $166.0 million opening of Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice. However, that’s actually not far behind considering those films were sequels containing some of the most recognizable superhero characters ever, while this was a first installment whose characters were comparatively new to audiences outside the existing comic book fandom. Squad also starts 2.0 percent ahead of the Deadpool $132.4 million opening and more than doubles the $65.7 million opening of X-Men: Apocalypse.

It also marks a return to box office gold for Will Smith, who for about a solid decade from the mid-’90s to mid-2000s was by some measures the single biggest box office draw in Hollywood. Arguably Smith’s last huge hit had been Hancock in 2008 and since then he’d starred in such low-grossing films as After Earth, Focus, and Concussion, none of which earned more than $70 million. (Men in Black III made good money in 2012 but also earned by far the trilogy’s lowest domestic gross, virtually ensuring that their won’t be a fourth installment).

Men In Black III was actually not a bad film. Much more entertaining than MIB II.

I forgot to give our review - a strong consensus from me, the wife and our teenaged son:

ZZZZZZZZZZ

Was it awful, no? But it committed the huge sin of being boring. We each liked the first 10 minutes, thought the casting/acting was fine if not good...but the movie itself was just terribly boring.

I compared it to Apocylpse, the difference here being you had the excitement of wanting to see new characters.

To those who actually enjoyed it, I'm glad you can find enjoyment in that. We wanted to.

All I will say is if DC uses the first week box office success as any sort of vote of confidence for what they've done here going forward, I fear we all lose. I'm selfishly rooting for a huge crash in the next two weeks if only to spur them to make better films. Otherwise, no big deal, lots of other ways for me to enjoy my favorite DC heroes (comics, CW)

Folks keep saying that it's just a popcorn movie which I think means it's okay that it wasn't very good. Well, I like my popcorn movies to be watchable. Just a quirk of mine I guess. (shrug)

Dan

It's actually a clever marketing strategy that went on towards the end of some last minute fireworks before the summer winds down.

You see these critic proof summer hits from time to time (Congo, The Mummy Returns, etc) that people seem to enjoy regardless of narrative quality and critical bashing.

The Mummy Returns was awesome... ;)

Dan

"Popcorn movie" usually means big and dumb... Like going to, yeah Con Air or Armageddon or something... you know it's dumb but it's got some humor and some effects and parts of it are ok.

Only when you see it at home later on a small screen do you sometimes say, "oh god, did I once LIKE this?"

Suicide Squad wasn't a popcorn movie. It was boring.

I still think there's a place for a lot of those characters in a good movie though. This just wasn't it.

Dan

Only for Rachel Weisz's Evie character. ;)

I've always been somewhat infatuated with her (even as the damsel in Chain Reaction.).

#beautifulcreatures

#bournelegacy

#consta... I forget.

Dan

I've always been somewhat infatuated with her (even as the damsel in Chain Reaction.).

#beautifulcreatures

#bournelegacy

#consta... I forget.

Of course ;)

#consta...ntlywatchingmoviesjustforrachelweisz

Dan

#beautifulcreatures

#bournelegacy

#consta... I forget.

Of course ;)

:roflmao:

But true. :sorry:

it will track BvS in boxoffice, front-loaded, decent opening driven by the loyal fans and pre-sale tickets, then fall off a cliff the next weekend and beyond

Im wondering if it wont even make it out of the first weekend before the drop starts...

Typical 1st weekend breakdown for the big superhero premiers is...

43/31/26

Summer behavior breaks down as

40/34/26 (so a little better on Saturday)

but it wouldnt surprise me if SSq matched BvS or even was more Friday weighted.

BvS broke down its $166m first weekend 49/31/20. Maybe SSq breaks 50% of its first weekend on Friday...

Right now we're looking at a 48/29/23 breakdown... So pretty darn close to the frontloading like BvS (even though it didnt get as much of a push as BvS). Amazing considering this was the summer and usually those breakdowns are MORE even, not less.

So that means we'll be looking for another high 60% drop off for week two...

Dan

#beautifulcreatures

#bournelegacy

#consta... I forget.

Of course ;)

Ahh... but worth it :grin:

I was about to say she'd have made an excellent choice for Enchantress in SS... seeing as they went for a Brit... but then realised she's possibly outside of the "target age range" ;)

Dan

#beautifulcreatures

#bournelegacy

#consta... I forget.

Of course ;)

I was about to say she'd have made an excellent choice for Enchantress in SS... seeing as they went for a Brit... but then realised she's possibly outside of the "target age range" ;)

Just finished the new release The Lobster.

I have no idea what I watched, but it had Rachel in it. :luhv:

She's still got it.

#reallifebondgirl

Dan

#beautifulcreatures

#bournelegacy

#consta... I forget.

Of course ;)

She's still got it.

#reallifebondgirl

She does have a "quality." :cloud9:

Dan

#beautifulcreatures

#bournelegacy

#consta... I forget.

Of course ;)

She's still got it.

#reallifebondgirl

Or the scene where she seduces Ray Fiennes toward the beginning of The Constant Gardener.

Day-um...

Dan

#beautifulcreatures

#bournelegacy

#consta... I forget.

Of course ;)

She's still got it.

#reallifebondgirl

Or the scene where she seduces Ray Fiennes toward the beginning of The Constant Gardener.

Day-um...

I liked that one. :devil:

Okay, so...saw it this afternoon. Mild spolers ahead (mostly tagged).

It was fine. Mediocre, like Thor 2 or X-Men 3.

Better than Ghost Rider and Jonah Hex, and it was far less offensive than BvS (in terms of missed opportunities, because the stakes here were far lower).

But it was a huge missed opportunity, a la Spider-Man 3.

I Loved:

- Amanda Waller (although Viola Davis is always amazing -- i.e., How to Get Away With Murder)

- Will Smith, and Deadshot's characterization

- The first 1/2 hour (rock solid up until the second scene w/ the Enchantress)

- Diablo's characterization

- Boomerang's characterization (least annoyed I've ever been by Jai Courtney, save Jack Reacher)

- Katana

- Mid-credits' sequence

I Hated

- The villains (Tia Carrere did the same thing so much better in Kull)

- The zombie people (seriously - straight out of the House of the Dead 2 video game)

- The constant music (some good song choices and riffs, but ugh...)

- The entire last 45 minutes.

- Was Scott Eastwood even in this? So much for my "he must be Deathstroke" theory. Didn't even see him.

Specific Stupid mess:

How does Deadshot's daughter prevent him from killing

Batman

? I mean, we _literally_ just saw him kill a guy with a bank shot, and he can't manage a similar one at point blank? Esp. when we later see that killing him is now his most fervent wish??

- When they're in the bar, why does Harley go check the mirror to see

if her detonator's been deactivated

, when hers alone had already been *and she knew it* just two scenes earlier?

- What was up with Killer Croc gratuitously speaking in ebonics? Great character up until the start of the underwater scene, and then he suddenly becomes as stupidly racist as JarJar Binks. WTF?

- While I enjoyed El Diablo's monologue in the bar, folks in my theater found it so corny they started laughing toward the end.

Overall, it was just...meh. Maybe two stars, but def. not Catwoman bad. Wish I'd had a 3rd beer before going in.

It's just frustrating, cuz it could have been great, as we saw with the likes of

- Guardians of the Galaxy (motley crew of unknown comic characters)

- Deadpool (that, with its hard R rating, at least had the courage of its convictions)

- Any of the last three Mission: Impossible movies

So in the end we just get disposable entertainment, fun for a slow summer's day, but ultimately forgettable, a la X-Men Apocalypse or Jack Ryan.

Also, while Margot Robbie was certainly fun to look at and did a decent job, she didn't do crazy even as well as Mia Sara did as Harley 12 years ago in the otherwise-god awful Birds of Prey.

Seriously - Mia Sara's portrayal of Quinzel (and, in the last episode, Harley Quinn) had just the right touch of truly scary psycho. Not Robbie's fault this time, so much as the writer's (and maybe the PG-13 rating) but could have been _so_ much better.

Dan

To each their own.

My kids and I felt the same way about Ant-Man and Civil War. The problem with the Marvel movies since Winter soldier is that they are too formulaic. As my daughter (12 years old) said again today after SS, she did not like Ant-Man or Civil war because they are too simple and must be aimed at younger kids. lol This is coming from a girl that loves Black Widow and the Scarlet Witch - she actually liked AoU because of them (a minor imperfection lol )

Marvel has learned to do two things well with their franchises, just like Lucas did once upon a time with Star Wars/Indiana Jones and Disney has done all along: 1) keep the movies simple so they work at the 6 year old level (just like we are told to write at a 6th grade level) as this will attract the broadest audience (and the reason to make superhero movies is to make money, not garner critical acclaim) and 2) keep the movie formula the same. This is what DC needs to figure out with the new slate - what is the simplest formula that works for their properties. Obviously it is not the Snyder-led DCCU so hopefully Geoff Johns can bring back the magic they had with Nolan on Batman.

That being said, I am finding Marvel movies unwatchable now. It is the same simple formula with each movie, just a different villain as we go. Their production quality was weaker than usual with Civil War - the fight scenes were sped up too much at points so they came across as unrealistic and choppy, and the storyline was brutally weak. GotG is the last MCU movie that I thought was great, and that was because it was different and produced well. I am really hoping that the Infinity War is more along the lines of GotG than what we have seen recently with AoU/Ant-MAn/Civil War.