• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

Shame that SS beat GOTG opening weekend. GOTG was a truly great, entertaining movie.

but will it beat it when the final counting is done? w/o China, signs say no. GOTG did 3.5x it's opening weekend domestically. SS will be fortunate to do 2.5X.

Edited by paperheart

Saw this film on Saturday with a couple of friends.

I am at 6/10.

I found I enjoyed the beginning of the film where I got to know the characters through current day scenes and flashbacks with excellent music throughout - this was well done. Then as the movie went on it lost quality.

I agree with Thawk above regarding the Joker - his appearance is ridiculous and I hate the teeth and the tattoos. I found it also took me out of the scene whenever he was in it.

I liked Harley's look, I found the costume made her very alluring and then she unleashes the crazy, it was an interesting juxtapostion. She was the best part of the film to me.

I didn't like the villains, I felt they were far to powerful for the rag-tag Suicide Squad to handle given their "powers". I also didn't like the "grape-head" soldiers of the bad guys that were just fodder to be killed by bullets and a bat.

While I was entertained, I felt this could have been so much more than it was.

6/10

I'm kinda in this camp. Although, I actually liked the Joker. Admittedly, I'm not terribly knowledgeable about DC like I am with Marvel characters, but as an outsider - I thought the take on the Joker was at least original and not trying to copy what had been done before. I thought they left a lot to be told about the Joker (in some future tale, I'm sure). Harley was worth the price of admission.

Shame that SS beat GOTG opening weekend. GOTG was a truly great, entertaining movie.

Are you David Merryweather in disguise?

But hey at least you watched the movie!

but will it beat it when the final counting is done? w/o China, signs say no. GOTG did 3.5x it's opening weekend domestically. SS will be fortunate to do 2.5X.

It's a shame they couldn't deliver on a funny story like Deadpool. It would have been a nice surprise. Was that you that said Deadpool wouldn't even do $500MM worldwide? I think we were all surprised.

It needs to at least break $437MM (2.5X). Which should be doable, even without China. Though that means it can't experience any significant drop-off in any of its key markets.

- Domestic: $218MM

- International: $219MM

Rf3m2pD.png

QM7EJU8.png

Product placement will counter a large portion of the marketing expense. Products like Bushmills Whiskey, Samsung phone (Boomerang's drone), Dasani Water, Coke, Monster Energy Drink, and one article mentions La Croix Sparkling Water (I didn't catch the Joker with this). But I think Samsung was the heavy-hitter they threw at us between Deadshot's phone and Boomerang's camera.

We'll see if Warner Bros's gamble going with a light story that focused more on the characters and their interaction pays off.

My boy Scott Mendelson now gives it decent odds at breaking $300 million domestic.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/08/09/box-office-suicide-squad-earns-13-million-monday-for-146m-cume/#7618be2d5c4e

I don't see it, think it will fade quickly enough that it falls just short of that.

Specifically, I think it will play a la the final two Twilight movies, which both opened similarly, then suffered massive 2nd & 3rd week drop-offs, ultimately ending at between $281-$291 million domestic.

Wow!

How 'Suicide Squad' Showcases Nasty Side of Fandom in 2016

Before the critics could even enter the fray, the rabid Suicide Squad fandom had begun to impose their absolute allegiance to DC on everyone else. Prior to the earliest rounds of press screenings, devotees flooded IMDb with five-star user reviews, artificially juicing the movie's average based on nothing. (This trick was last seen in an inverted form around the Ghostbusters release, when troglodytes firebombed the movie's page with zero-star reviews — hinting at the undercurrent of misogyny in many fan tantrums.)

And once folks who had actually seen the film began to weigh in, things only got worse. Rolling Stone's own Peter Travers, for one, described the new release as "a grabbag of everything that's been off and awful about recent comic-book epics" in his one-star review. A bad movie yielding bad reviews is news as usual, more dog-bites-man than man-bites-dog, but Suicide Squad fans reacted as if the professional film critic community had made personal remarks about their mothers. Writers who had put their byline on anti-Suicide Squad pieces suddenly found their inboxes and Twitter mentions full of fury. At worst, as any female writer can attest, the attacks get disturbingly personal.

:eek:

Box Office: ‘Suicide Squad’ to Easily Keep Top Spot Over ‘Pete’s Dragon,’ ‘Sausage Party’

Warner Bros.’ second weekend of “Suicide Squad” will hold off a trio of distinctly different newcomers at the U.S. box office — Disney’s “Pete’s Dragon,” Sony’s animated “Sausage Party” and Paramount’s “Florence Foster Jenkins.”

Forecasts place “Suicide Squad” in the $45 million to $48 million range for its second frame, amounting to a 65% decline from its opening weekend of $133.7 million. That smashed the August record and was at the top end of projections after the tentpole had been blistered by mostly negative reviews. The key question is whether “Suicide Squad” will decline even more — such as the 69% plunge that hit Warner’s “Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice” in its second weekend after a $166 million opening.

By contrast to “Suicide Squad,” the new arrivals have generated strong early support among critics with “Sausage Party” at 92% on Rotten Tomatoes, followed by “Florence Foster Jenkins” with 91% and “Pete’s Dragon” at 84%.

'Sausage Party' is at 92% on RT? Sausage Party.

lol

Sausage Party RT reviews:

- Won't be for everyone, but if nothing else, you'll never look at your groceries the same way again. (4/5)

- The whole thing is so tasty, you may just want seconds. (4/5)

- Consistently hilarious, even borderline genius, and the most fun you'll have in a cinema this year. (4.5/5)

lol

It's a shame they couldn't deliver on a funny story like Deadpool. It would have been a nice surprise. Was that you that said Deadpool wouldn't even do $500MM worldwide? I think we were all surprised.

It needs to at least break $437MM (2.5X). Which should be doable, even without China. Though that means it can't experience any significant drop-off in any of its key markets.

- Domestic: $218MM

- International: $219MM

it'll pass or be close to $437MM (whatever the heck that proves) this weekend. GOTG did $773MM, that's the # it won't get to

Box Office: ‘Suicide Squad’ to Easily Keep Top Spot Over ‘Pete’s Dragon,’ ‘Sausage Party’

Warner Bros.’ second weekend of “Suicide Squad” will hold off a trio of distinctly different newcomers at the U.S. box office — Disney’s “Pete’s Dragon,” Sony’s animated “Sausage Party” and Paramount’s “Florence Foster Jenkins.”

Forecasts place “Suicide Squad” in the $45 million to $48 million range for its second frame, amounting to a 65% decline from its opening weekend of $133.7 million. That smashed the August record and was at the top end of projections after the tentpole had been blistered by mostly negative reviews. The key question is whether “Suicide Squad” will decline even more — such as the 69% plunge that hit Warner’s “Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice” in its second weekend after a $166 million opening.

By contrast to “Suicide Squad,” the new arrivals have generated strong early support among critics with “Sausage Party” at 92% on Rotten Tomatoes, followed by “Florence Foster Jenkins” with 91% and “Pete’s Dragon” at 84%.

lol

I know nothing about the film, but the cast is an All-Star assemblage of a lot of the world's best comic actors.

lol

I know nothing about the film, but the cast is an All-Star assemblage of a lot of the world's best comic actors.

Oh, there are definitely a cast of very recognizable names. But the visuals make it clear what is going on here.

lol

8rmNFJV.png

Even Ant-Man lends his voice to this. Paul Rudd definitely can deliver when it comes to comedy.

“I feel like I hit the lottery… The chicks never get these roles – we never get the roles where we have the funny one-liners and then the kick- action scene, but then also, like, an intricate character with an awesome story arc – you just don’t really get that, like in a big-budget film.” When asked whether we'll be seeing a Harley Quinn solo film down the line, Robbie said she was working on it. “I’m trying to make that happen. Not for anything specifically, but just something – there’s so much more to do.”

It's been well documented that many scenes featuring Jared Leto's Joker were removed from the film, with the backstory featuring Harley's descent into madness being reduced to a few short flashbacks. Robbie explained that the scenes were shortened in order to focus on the main storyline of the team's mission against the Enchantress. “There was so much of our backstory… they probably realized that the emotional through-line of the story had to be the mission we were on, and kind of explaining The Enchantress’ position and all that kind of stuff, and the backstory stuff – though it’s like magic… there’s a lot but it just didn’t make sense to confuse the present storyline with that.”

First Monday was as strong as Civil War.

And Tuesday...

DEADLINE: ‘Suicide Squad’ Super Tuesday Not Only An August Record, But Also Beats ‘Civil War’

Don’t underestimate the box office traction of Warner Bros. Suicide Squad. In its fifth day at the box office, the David Ayer DC villain movie took in $14.27M, up 9% from Monday. Of course, that’s a record Tuesday in August, and as we’ve seen all along, Suicide Squad keeps whomping Disney/Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy records. That film previously owned the Tuesday high for August with $11.9M. But here’s what Suicide Squad‘s till yesterday outflanks when it comes to Tuesday highs: Captain America: Civil War‘s at $13.76M, Avengers: Age of Ultron‘s $13.1M and Batman v. Superman‘s $12.7M Tuesday.

Through five days, Suicide Squad has collected $161.1M. It will rule again in its second weekend with $51M-$54M as three wide entries enter the market — Sony/Annapurna’s Sausage Party, Disney’s Pete’s Dragon and Paramount’s Florence Foster Jenkins.

First Monday was as strong as Civil War.

And Tuesday...

DEADLINE: ‘Suicide Squad’ Super Tuesday Not Only An August Record, But Also Beats ‘Civil War’

Don’t underestimate the box office traction of Warner Bros. Suicide Squad. In its fifth day at the box office, the David Ayer DC villain movie took in $14.27M, up 9% from Monday. Of course, that’s a record Tuesday in August, and as we’ve seen all along, Suicide Squad keeps whomping Disney/Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy records. That film previously owned the Tuesday high for August with $11.9M. But here’s what Suicide Squad‘s till yesterday outflanks when it comes to Tuesday highs: Captain America: Civil War‘s at $13.76M, Avengers: Age of Ultron‘s $13.1M and Batman v. Superman‘s $12.7M Tuesday.

Through five days, Suicide Squad has collected $161.1M. It will rule again in its second weekend with $51M-$54M as three wide entries enter the market — Sony/Annapurna’s Sausage Party, Disney’s Pete’s Dragon and Paramount’s Florence Foster Jenkins.

The numbers are what they are but that's a little misleading as I'm sure more people have the ability to attend Matinees in August then they do in May.

But good for them. I want the results to warrant a sequel or the HQ spinoff, which I'd prefer.

Jim

The numbers are what they are but that's a little misleading as I'm sure more people have the ability to attend Matinees in August then they do in May.

But good for them. I want the results to warrant a sequel or the HQ spinoff, which I'd prefer.

Jim

I think any of the movies in August most probably benefit from people having more time for films when on vacation or kids being off from school. Though I am not sure what would be misleading when it is reported for Guardians versus Suicide Squad. Any film in August had this advantage. Know what I mean?

Not that you are making this a studio stance. It's part of why the studios plan certain movies at a point in the calendar.

The crazy thing is, I gave this film a 7.0/10.0 as I think it is good - not great. So these box office results are really surprising. But like you pointed out - if it gets us a better sequel, I'll take it!

:wishluck: